less than $100 wtf are you thinking

25% [ 1 ]
I wouldn't buy this crap

0% [ 0 ]
Total votes: 4
Rodia
Post subject: I made some shineys
Posted: Wed 30 Dec , 2009 8:08 pm

Now I'm thinking I could make some more and sell them, capitalist greedworm that I am. So for the purpose of market research I put this question to you, dear B77bs:

Would you hypothetically buy a moonlit ship?

[ img ]

A starlit basilica?

[ img ]

A drab old building...

[ img ]

...with its lodgers?

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

...or a custom piece with, say, a photo cut-out of your family hidden in the diorama?

If yes, answer the poll question please :)

They first two are 15x20cm, the house is about 42cm tall. All of them light up at the flick of a switch (for the building, you press the doorbell). They're LED lights powered by two AA batteries which you can easily replace.

More pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cefeida/se ... 014817392/

These were all gifts, but I will be making more and I think I want to try and sell them somewhere, maybe on Etsy. Thoughts and advice, por favor.

ETA: Obviously everything here except the boxes themselves is handmade. I drew and painted and glued and cut and sliced and hammered and chiseled and...yeah you get the picture.

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Re: I made some shineys
Posted: Wed 30 Dec , 2009 8:20 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

:bow: Now there's a real artist's work.

I think they're totally cool!

I said less than $100, but that would depend on the size and the level of customization. Like, for the building, I could see that being more than $100, and I could see it being more than $100 if you did something specific for a family.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rodia
Posted: Wed 30 Dec , 2009 8:25 pm

Don't worry about saying less than $100, I've got no idea what I could ask for these things, and since dollars are not my first currency sometimes I have trouble gauging what they're worth:P

I'm glad you like them :D

[ img ]

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Nin
Posted: Wed 30 Dec , 2009 9:10 pm
Per aspera ad astra

I'd love them (and as you see on facebook, my first idea was how to make something similar with my kids for their future brother or sister).

But I'd also say less than 100$, mainly because money is tight...

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Rodia
Posted: Wed 30 Dec , 2009 9:20 pm

Nin, I actually got the idea from a childhood craft- in school we made aquariums one day out of boxes with a transparent side, we hung paper fishies from strings inside and when you shook it, they 'swam'...

I exaggerated with the $100, didn't I. I was thinking it could pass as proper art, because of being so detailed and completely handmade. But when money is tight...I'll have to lower those expectations down a bit!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nin
Posted: Wed 30 Dec , 2009 9:26 pm
Per aspera ad astra

No, you did not exaggerate: it is a beautiful gift for a child, especially a new-born and it is proper art! But when you have a child, it is often a moment when you have many expenses for pratical stuff.

You know what you could do: take pics and make some flyers and put them in the offices of gynocologists or maternity hospitals... and you could propose different sizes and prizes according to the level of personalisation.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Wed 30 Dec , 2009 10:01 pm

I can has moonlit ship? :love:

Profile Quote
Rodia
Posted: Wed 30 Dec , 2009 10:31 pm

You can has. I have decided my next few items will be Historic Ships in Historic Situations. Or just Moonlit ones. We shall see. But I do have a lot of very detailed books about famous ships >:)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Wed 30 Dec , 2009 10:46 pm

I would probably pay less than $100, but that's because I'm too cheap. :P :blackeye: I have the horrible tendency to think "I could make that," which may or may not be true, and also, I usually won't.

Honestly, you probably could get around $100, if you were to market it right. In person, I bet you could. Selling online, you'd need to take lots and lots of really good pictures (hmm, I bet you could do that :P ) for each piece. Full shot, details, in a dark room, etc. Make people feel like they could use it and need it.

Also, I like Nin's idea. Where to try and sell it is pretty important. Bigger pieces would probably go for more, too.

They're really cool, btw. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment”
Jump to: