Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
nienna
Post subject: Re: Julie and Julia
Posted: Sat 19 Dec , 2009 7:46 pm
The best things in life are not things

Saw this back in September, and loved it...a beautifully directed and acted film...funny, poignant, charming and heart-warming. I thought Streep was outstanding as Julia Child, giving a warmth and vulnerability to a large than life personality.

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Sat 19 Dec , 2009 8:57 pm

It was one of the more enjoyable films I saw this year. Meryl Streep was Julia Child. That was one amazing performance.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Sat 19 Dec , 2009 11:32 pm
Daydream Believer

I haven't seen it yet, will probably put it on my Netflix que for some very slow week night.

I'm not a foodie so I guess this story isn't all the interesting to me, even though I do like Meryl Streep quite a bit. A lass I don't see food as anything but fuel now days, eating to me is nothing more than like going to a gas station, basically something I have to do but not something I want to spend that much time on anymore. So a film about food doesn't really catch my interest.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Sun 20 Dec , 2009 3:29 am
Best friends forever

It's not about food. It's 2 love stories, in part. And about committment and friendship.

I watched the last of it today and loved it.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 21 Dec , 2009 3:06 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I might get it from the library. It looked pretty good.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Sat 02 Jan , 2010 9:03 pm
Daydream Believer

Well I watched it. It was a decent movie. My daughter rented it and left half way through...so I am supposing the under 20 crowd didn't watch much of it. ;)

It wasn't nearly the best Streep preformacne I've seen. In my opinion Winslets performances in Revolutionary Road and The Reader were both better than Meryl's in this movie.

And that's a lot of dang butter, my arteries closed up just looking at it all. But there are only four ingredients to french cooking anyway, butter, butter, butter and more butter, of course it tastes good. However they were dead on about brie being the best cheese ever, especially if it's baked and then spread on an apply slice with a bit of good wine and a small piece of bread.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Mon 04 Jan , 2010 1:45 am
Daydream Believer

Julie Powell on Amy Adams being Julie Powell
Quote:
When J & J: The Movie! was coming out, Amy Adams did a big interview for one of the women’s magazines—Allure, I think it was. At the end of the interview the reporter—in sort of a dick move, I thought—suddenly sprung upon her the information that the woman her character in J & J was based on had a new book coming out, in which she recounts having an extramarital affair. Amy was clearly thrown off by this information and replied, "My Julie Powell would never do that."

"My Julie Powell." I found that fascinating and sort of adorable, actually. That Amy Adams had internalized some version of me, had invested in the person she thought I was, had created a character out of me, not only on screen, which was her job, but in her head and heart, which is what makes her so good at her job, was odd, but also oddly flattering. "Her" Julie Powell isn’t me, but I’m glad she has one and is so clear on what she would or wouldn’t do. Lord knows, I wish I were so clear.

I hope Amy’s Julie is generous enough to forgive the much more fallible, less cute, and entirely more confused and confusing Julie that she’s based on.
http://www.doublex.com/blog/cleavingwit ... t-real-one

http://www.boston.com/ae/books/articles ... ilds_play/

From what I have read elsewhere if Cleaving (the follow up) is made into a movie Amy Adams doesn't want the role.

Profile Quote
TheMary
Posted: Tue 05 Jan , 2010 6:30 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

I watched this last week and was delighted. Meryl Streep is amazing I can't say enough about her :love:. Amy Adams is also quickly joining her ranks as a major draw to a movie.

If you haven't seen both Streep and Adams in Doubt it's also a must see :).

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away