The Last Homely Site on the Web

Winter Olypmics 2010

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Winter Olypmics 2010
Posted: Fri 12 Feb , 2010 11:50 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

They start tonight! :) Who's going to watch?

I just heard that there's been a tragedy, though. :(

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancou ... &type=lgns
Quote:
Olympic luger from Georgia dies after crash

By STEPHEN WILSON, AP Sports Writer

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP)—A men’s Olympic luger from the country of Georgia died Friday after a high-speed crash on a track that is the world’s fastest and has raised safety concerns among competitors. A tearful IOC president Jacques Rogge said the death hours before the opening ceremony “clearly casts a shadow over these games.”

Nodar Kumaritashvili lost control of his sled during training, went over the track wall and struck an unpadded steel pole near the finish line at Whistler Sliding Center. Paramedics and doctors were unable to revive the 21-year-old luger, who died at a hospital, the International Olympic Committee said.

“We are heartbroken beyond words,” said John Furlong, chief executive of the Vancouver organizing committee.

Before speaking at a news conference, Rogge took off his glasses, rubbed his eyes and said, “Sorry, it’s a bit difficult to remain composed.”

“Here you have a young athlete that lost his life in pursuing his passion,” Rogge added. “He had a dream to participate in the Olympic Games. He trained hard and he had this fatal accident. I have no words to say what we feel.”

Rogge said he was in contact with Kumaritashvili’s family and officials from the Georgian government. Georgia’s Olympic committee was deciding whether to remain in the games, Rogge added.

An investigation into the crash started quickly, although Rogge said this was not the time to talk about it. The men’s luge competition is to begin Saturday afternoon. Officials at the Whistler track were uncertain if the schedule would be affected.

Rescue workers were at Kumaritashvili’s side within seconds. Chest compressions and mouth-to-mouth resuscitation started less than one minute after the crash, and he was quickly airlifted to a trauma center in Whistler.

The first sign Kumaritashvili was truly in trouble came only three seconds before the crash on Curve 13, the most perilous turn. His speed of 89.4 mph— his best during six training runs on this track—almost certainly means he had never gone faster.

Kumaritashvili’s line—as the path is known in luge—entering the next-to-last curve had him traveling along a higher route than most racers prefer. That’s where it got especially dangerous. His 176-pound body was no match for the gravitational forces along that sweeping turn. That, plus the high rate of speed, sent him careening up the high, banked, ice-covered wall.

Sliding diagonally down the wall, Kumaritashvili hit the corner entering the final straightaway with his lower body. The impact knocked him off the sled and flying across the track, his arms and legs flailing.

After smashing into the pole, he was motionless on a metal walkway. His left leg was in the air and his left foot was propped atop the track wall when the first rescue worker arrived and placed both hands on his helmet.

The rest of men’s training was canceled for the day, with VANOC officials saying an investigation was taking place to “ensure a safe field of play.”

The danger of the Whistler track has been talked about for months— particularly after several countries, including the U.S., were upset over access restrictions for everyone but Canada, with some noting it could lead to a safety issue.

Kumaritashvili is the fourth competitor to die at the Winter Games and the first since 1992.

“It’s a very rare situation,” three-time Olympic champion and German coach Georg Hackl said before learning of the death, clearly shaken after seeing Kumaritashvili tended to furiously by medical workers.

Shortly before the accident, Hackl said he didn’t believe the track was unsafe.

“People have the opinion it is dangerous but the track crew does the best it can and they are working hard to make sure the track is in good shape and everyone is safe,” he said. “My opinion is that it’s not anymore dangerous that anywhere else.”

Five-time Olympian Mark Grimmette, chosen as the U.S. team’s flag bearer, said the speeds on the track are pushing the boundaries of safety.

“We’re probably getting close,” he said Thursday. “This track is fast and you definitely have to be on your game. … So it’s definitely something they are going to have to take into account on future tracks.”

American luger Christian Niccum crashed during a World Cup event in Whistler last year.

“When I hit that ice going 90 mph it turns into fire,” Niccum said Thursday. “I remember coming around to the finish and I just wanted to rip off my suit, ‘I’m on fire. I’m on fire.”’

This was Kumaritashvili’s second crash during training for the games. He also failed to finish his second of six practice runs, and in the runs he did finish, his average speed was about 88 mph—significantly less than the speed the top sliders are managing on this lightning-fast course.

It was unclear how fast Kumaritashvili was going, although many sliders have exceeded 90 mph on this course. More than a dozen athletes have crashed during Olympic training for luge, and some questioned whether athletes from smaller nations—like Georgia—had enough time to prepare for the daunting track.

At the finish area, not far from where Kumaritashvili lost control, athletes, coaches and officials solemnly awaited word on Kumaritashvili before eventually being ushered away. Access to the crash area was closed within about 30 minutes.

“I’ve never seen anything like that,” said Shiva Keshavan, a four-time Olympian from India.

Representatives from the three U.S. sliding federations were to release a joint statement later Friday. American athletes were not immediately made available for reaction after news of the death was confirmed.

“My thoughts and prayers are with the Georgian Olympic team,” U.S. bobsled pilot Steven Holcomb said on Twitter. “The sliding community suffered a tragic and devastating loss to our family today.”

“RIP Nodar Kumaritashvili,” wrote American skeleton athlete Kyle Tress, who did not qualify for the Olympic team. “Let’s never forget how dangerous these sports can be.”

Kumaritashvili competed in five World Cup races this season, finishing 44th in the world standings.

Earlier in the day, gold-medal favorite Armin Zoeggeler of Italy crashed, losing control of his sled on Curve 11. Zoeggeler came off his sled and held it with his left arm to keep it from smashing atop his body. He slid on his back down several curves before coming to a stop and walking away.

Training days in Whistler have been crash-filled. A Romanian woman was briefly knocked unconscious and at least four Americans—Chris Mazdzer on Wednesday, Megan Sweeney on Thursday and both Tony Benshoof and Bengt Walden on Friday in the same training session where Zoeggeler wrecked—have had serious trouble just getting down the track.

“I think they are pushing it a little too much,” Australia’s Hannah Campbell-Pegg said Thursday night after she nearly lost control in training. “To what extent are we just little lemmings that they just throw down a track and we’re crash-test dummies? I mean, this is our lives.”

At the 1992 Albertville Games, Nicholas Bochatay of Switzerland died after crashing into a snow grooming machine during training for the demonstration sport of speed skiing on the next-to-last day of the games. He was practicing on a public slope before his event was to begin.

Australian downhill skier Ross Milne died when he struck a tree during a training run shortly before the 1964 Winter Games in Innsbruck, Austria. British luger Kazimierz Kay-Skrzypecki also died in a crash during training in Innsbruck.

At the 1988 Calgary Games, an Austrian team doctor, Jorg Oberhammer, died after being hit by a snow grooming machine.

AP Sports Writers Tim Reynolds and Tom Withers in Whistler contributed to this report.
I have no idea if the Canadian track is safe or not, but this is very sad, of course.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
nienna
Post subject: Re: Winter Olypmics 2010
Posted: Sat 13 Feb , 2010 7:13 am
The best things in life are not things

Dreadful....but until the full investigations are complete we won't know whether if it was the track, or the competitor's relative "inexperience" that led to the accident. :(

One always thinks of "Eddie the Eagle" or the Jamaican bob sleigh team in COOL RUNNINGS and how it is possible for relative newcomers to the sport to qualify for the "biggest show on earth".

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 13 Feb , 2010 2:08 pm

They are saying now that it was not the fault of the track but was due to human error. :(

And then the malfunction with the torch arms was... interesting. I really felt bad for the Vancouver Olympic people. All that time and preparation and you have a major malfunction.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Sat 13 Feb , 2010 3:20 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

I was kind of scratching my head at the entire Opening Ceremonies, to be honest. :scratch: I mean, it was very cool that the Canadian team was trying to honor its indigenous culture, but some of the numbers were a bit bizarre. The Peter Pan guy flying over the plains with Donald Sutherland's voice was kind of mystifying. And "slam" poetry? Really?

Some parts were really neat, though! I loved the CGI whales.

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Sat 13 Feb , 2010 4:34 pm
Best friends forever

Lord_M and I went grocery shopping. The stores were pretty empty! Everyone was at home watching, I guess.

I don't know if anyone saw the video of the accident. That kid was going 150 kph when he left the track. I think there should be some kind of netting or something, in case someone else does the same thing. Apparently it's the fastest track in the world - maybe they better slow it down some way.

Well, as a BC taxpayer I'm on the hook for this, so I guess I hope it's a big success.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Sat 13 Feb , 2010 5:56 pm
Daydream Believer

I'm going to have to watch the opening ceremonies on the net, I wasn't home last night and I missed it.

I saw that about the human error, if I was in that sport I don't think I could use that track.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 14 Feb , 2010 1:48 am

Here is my girlie statement for the day: I :love: the colors for the Olympics this year! I think they are really, really pretty! :D

ETA: The logo guy reminds me of the Rock Monster from GalaxyQuest, though. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Posted: Sun 14 Feb , 2010 11:41 am

LalaithUrwen wrote:
They are saying now that it was not the fault of the track but was due to human error. :(
I heard that, and I think it's stupid. The track must be built so that human errors will not be fatal. Of course there will be human errors. No one should have to pay with their lives for it - it's a game, not war!

Very tragic, the whole thing. :( I feel for the poor man and his family.

--------- [Moving on to other things]

I am looking very much forward to the Winter Olympics. I have a feeling my studies will suffer for the next two weeks... And I am hoping that this wonderful man:

[ img ]

...will be the Olympic king of biathlon - again. Ole Einar Bjørndalen. :love:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Sun 14 Feb , 2010 12:11 pm
The best things in life are not things

A true great, Nienor :)

I wonder how Lurker is getting on...isn't he involved in the Vancouver games?

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 14 Feb , 2010 11:33 pm

Yes, I think he is. It will be interesting to get a report from him!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Posted: Tue 16 Feb , 2010 1:15 am

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 16 Feb , 2010 4:53 am

Are these the pants someone was complaining about? I saw a headline about it but didn't read the story.

I think they're funny! :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Posted: Tue 16 Feb , 2010 10:35 pm

The pants have their own fan group on Facebook now. :D

I think it's great that the team brings a bit of humor into the game, and that they don't take themselves too seriously. I can see no reasons why anyone should complain or make rules against them. "Curling officials confirm there is nothing to prevent the Norwegians from wearing the eye-popping pants during Olympic competition as long as they are team colours."

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 16 Feb , 2010 11:59 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Maybe they're designed to hypnotize the opposing team :suspicious:

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 17 Feb , 2010 4:24 am

LOL, Sharky! I just became a fan! :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheMary
Posted: Fri 26 Feb , 2010 4:05 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Loved the super classy pics of Team Canada's girls hockey team. Beer and Cigars :LMAO:

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 26 Feb , 2010 4:13 pm

I missed that.

I've been shaking my head at the sore loser Plushenko. :nono:

And, as much as I would've liked an American to win the ladies' figureskating, I was really happy for the Canadian, Joannie. And the skate by the South Korean girl was exquisite!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheMary
Posted: Fri 26 Feb , 2010 8:29 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Plushenko is a sore loser plain and simple. His performance was sloppy so he can keep is quad. Evan Lysacek's performace was gold metal worthy as his score proved, and he's Naperville baby woot!

Our gals aren't supposed to be ready for medals until the next Olympics but what a platform they have for themselves. Rachael Flatt is called "the rock" for a reason her jumps were so solid! And you could tell Mirai Nagasu has a great performance by her beaming simle. She's cute as a button. But I have to say as much as I wanted to dislike or find fault in Kim Yu-Na because of all the hype I couldn't. She has tremndous talent and such grace. Her performance was just beautiful! I was happy that Joannie Rochette performance went well too, I can't even imagine the heartbreak she must feel.

My Olympic wish is to see Team USA win gold in Mens Hockey! We already beat Team Candada which was pretty rad in and of itself, but I want the whole kit and kaboodle.

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Fri 26 Feb , 2010 10:08 pm
Best friends forever

Well, the US men are smoking the Finns to the tune of 6 to 1 almost at the end of the game. Now, if Canada gets by Slovakia, the final will be interesting.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Posted: Sun 28 Feb , 2010 3:47 pm

Aw, our curling team lost to Canada in the finale. Oh well, silver is nice too, and Canada deserved the victory. :) And our team has the coolest pants, and the largest Facebook fan page - 550 000 fans of the pants now. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: