The Last Homely Site on the Web

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 40 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
nienna
Post subject: Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Posted: Sun 21 Nov , 2010 10:37 pm
The best things in life are not things

Saw it earlier tonight and enjoyed it very much. Funny, poignant, scary, heart-breaking in just the right measure! :thumbsup

Only things to add to the above reviews would be to say that I hated the "hand-held camera" effect we got a couple of times - firstly when Harry is looking through Sirius' bedroom, and again, I think might have been Bathilda's place. Also thought that the rapid action sequence when the trio are being chased through the forest by the snatchers was clever, but impossible to see/visually take it what is happening on camera. I know that is the effect they were after, but even so...

Lastly, one glaring continuity problem...the piece of glass Harry keeps staring into: If you've read the novels you'll know what it is, but it was never set up in the OotP movie, even though it's an important plot point. :shrug:

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Mon 22 Nov , 2010 12:42 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

nienna wrote:
Lastly, one glaring continuity problem...the piece of glass Harry keeps staring into: If you've read the novels you'll know what it is, but it was never set up in the OotP movie, even though it's an important plot point. :shrug:
I never noticed that it wasn't in the the OotP movie! I have read the books so many times that I rarely notice inconsistencies between movies, because I always know every reference. That's an interesting observation, though. I wonder how they'll deal with that in DHII, or if they will at all?

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Mon 22 Nov , 2010 2:17 am
bioalchemist

Didn't catch that, but since GoF, OotP, and HBP all played like highlight reels of the books I don't really remember them as well as I should.

This movie captured the emotional mood of the book far better than most HP movies and some moments were, for me, more poignant or more humorous on screen than they were on paper. The multiple Harrys, funny on the pages, was hilarious on film (in fact, any scene involving polyjuice potion is funnier on screen). What Hermione did to her parents was more striking on film as well. In the book, she describes it after the fact; in the movie, it's on screen.

Draco's conflictedness also comes across very nicely on screen. And the way the whole room froze when Voldemort demanded a wand, that was, I thought, an excellent set-up for what will later come regarding what a wand means to a wizard.

But I didn't choke over Dobby's death like I did in the book. I don't know why. It just didn't ring true for me in the film (in the book, pretty much every death scene hit me like a slap upside the head).

Overall, I liked it. I'd be willing to see it again.

The handheld camera thing irritates and confuses me too.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 22 Nov , 2010 8:49 pm
Aspiring to heresy

elfshadow wrote:
nienna wrote:
I never noticed that it wasn't in the the OotP movie! I have read the books so many times that I rarely notice inconsistencies between movies, because I always know every reference. That's an interesting observation, though. I wonder how they'll deal with that in DHII, or if they will at all?
This is one of the problems for a director inheriting a series from other directors - he has no control over what was put into previous movies, the tone of these movies, and so on.

This is also part of the problem with starting a movie series before the book series was finished. How do you know what's important? In fact, Kreacher didn't appear at all in the first draft of movie 5, until Rowling sent a note hinting that they might want to put him in. Some scenes were hurriedly filmed, and then pasted into the rest of the movie.

Given that they started without knowing how it would all end, and given that they had many directors with many different visions, they did an admirable job. But, I think the final result would have been artistically superior if they had waited until the book series was finished before starting the movies. (that would mean a whole different cast, and movie #1 would be coming out right about now!)

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Posted: Tue 23 Nov , 2010 1:54 am
wencherific

I must say I've really appreciated the fact that the actors have remained the same through out the whole run (besides Richard Harris....he was a lovely Dumbledore. :( ) I was watching the first film the day before going to see Deathly Hallows, I went to the midnight showing as well, and I couldn't believe how small they all were! The boy's voices hadn't even changed yet, though big difference already in Chamber of Secrets.

I think the only time I really noticed the filming style change is when it went from Chris Columbus to Alfonso Cuaron. I enjoyed both films, but the styles deeeefinitely changed. After PoA I didn't notice the changes so much anymore. GoF is the movie I was most disappointed with....it was the one I felt most gipped in content. Rushed and all they seemed to pay attention to was the Tri-Wizard tournament.

I read Deathly Hallows within a few days, picking it up at its midnight release and haven't read it since, so a lot of it did fade in my memory. Thus I couldn't feel to gipped in seeing the film. I did, however, pick it up when I got back home after 3:00 in the morning and start to read it again, finishing in two days. :P

Things I missed and wish they would've touched on even briefly....the recognition between Harry and Dudley before the Dursleys leave. I can forgive that though seeing how they filmed it without any exchange of goodbyes and giving no inkling that they were being taken away by wizards, just enough to show that they were leaving.

I did also love the scene of Hermione wiping her parents minds and was actually surprised to not find it in the book that way. It felt so natural and more dramatic.

I wish they would've shown the reconciliation between Kreacher and Harry etc at Grimmauld Place, and that they wouldn't have added Dobby in when he comes back with Mundungus. I kind of miss the transformation of his character, and his acceptance of even Hermione the mudblood.

I didn't even remember, but looking back, wish they would've included more in the rescue from the ministry. They actually lead a whole troop of witches and wizards out who were up for trial, not just the one woman (her name is escaping me). I did like the change on how they got the locket from Umbridge though and the little addition of the "I must not tell lies" line. I feel like it was more meaningful than the way they did it in the book, less use of spells and less sneaking.

I miss the bit where Dean Thomas, Mr. Tonks, and the goblins end up camping right next to where Harry, Ron and Hermione are without knowing it. They used the extendable ears to get some news about the rest of the wizarding world.

The scene in which Ron leaves was perfect, they pretty much followed it word for word from the book too.

Not really any critiques of Godric's Hollow or Ron's return, saving Harry. I hope they still explain later on who's the Patronus was, though, and don't breeze by that.

And I did still cry for Dobby at the end. :P Oh! and speaking of other creatures, I like the way they arranged Hedwig's death....mostly because it implies some forgiveness from her towards Harry at him keeping her caged up so long. In the book she just got zapped in her cage, nothing to do with trying to save him.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait for the last part. :D It shall be kind of sad to finally say goodbye to Harry Potter....I wonder what the young actors may get themselves into after it's all finished.

[ img ]

"Morning has broken and I have felt a presence that disturbs
me with the joy of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime of
something far more deeply interfused, whose dwelling is the
light of setting suns, and the round ocean and the living air,
and the blue sky, and in the mind of man; a motion and a
spirit, that impels." -Wordsworth

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Posted: Thu 02 Dec , 2010 12:46 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

laureanna wrote:
So why didn't the trailer show the 700 pages of camping around doing nothing? :P
Oh don't worry. :D

****POST FOLLOWING MAY OR MAY NOT CONTAIN SPOILERS!!!****

I liked this movie. Maybe the best of the bunch. Not saying a lot for me because I am not an overly huge fan of these movies.
In fact before this I think the first one was my favorite, six was good and five .... I wanted to hurt small animals after I saw it.

I have never been a Radcliffe fan and I just can't warm up to him. I thought he did a pretty good job in this movie though.

I didn't care for the scene where Ron rescues Harry. It was just weird and I was beyond tired of the camping expedition at that point. The Dobby thing ... well meh. There were times when I wanted to kill him too so.....

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Tue 07 Dec , 2010 3:02 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

I have little to add really other than that I think the three adults who played transformed Harry Ron and Hermione in the ministry should have a comedy show of their own. They were absolutely brilliant! A well paced film I thought, and where they did deviate from the book I felt it enhanced the film, rather than detract from the story. The final scene was disappointing though. When I read that scene in the book I was in floods of tears. I was underwhelmed in the cinema. The opening montagey bit did have me in tears though! :bawl: so sad...

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 29 Apr , 2011 1:02 am
Aspiring to heresy

[ img ]

The trailer for part 2 is out? :Q

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Fri 29 Apr , 2011 7:50 am
of Vinyamar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 29 Apr , 2011 10:46 am
Aspiring to heresy

Hmm... lots of shouting that same wordless syllable. Could get repetitive ;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 30 May , 2011 9:21 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Final minutes of last Harry Potter movie to be split into 7 movies

Apart from the url, and the fact that it's so ridiculous, it's actually quite convincing :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jonny
Posted: Fri 03 Jun , 2011 1:55 pm
pixel-pusher

I saw that Jude. And loved it!

“And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.”

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Fri 03 Jun , 2011 2:35 pm
Best friends forever

I watched this movie recently and quite enjoyed it. But it was so dark! I don't mean "emotionally", I mean, I could hardly make out what was going on half the time. And I have a good TV and this was BluRay, so it wasn't because I have a cheezy TV and a crappy DVD player.

Or was it just me? :scratch:

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 24 Aug , 2011 12:30 am
Aspiring to heresy

I saw it last night and - this may be treason to admit to on this board - but I couldn't help thinking how much better it was than The Two Towers. The battle scenes weren't so cheesy and they didn't go on so damn long. :D

I can't praise the actors highly enough. Especially Snape. I definitely heard a few sniffles around the theatre at his apotheosis, and I must admit I had to brush away a tear or two myself.

So, who else has seen it? Feel free to disagree with me and pan it if you like :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Wed 24 Aug , 2011 3:01 pm

I think part 2 was better than the book, actually. And I never say that! They made some weird choices in abridgements and other changes, but it went fairly smoothly.

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Wed 24 Aug , 2011 7:55 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

I do think that they told a better love story in one short scene than Stephenie Myer did in 4 books...

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Wed 24 Aug , 2011 9:31 pm
Best friends forever

I thought it was mostly confusing drivel, and shot in the dark drivel at that, but, yes, Snape died well.

Better than that bloody Boromir as portrayed by Sean Bean.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Thu 25 Aug , 2011 9:51 pm

Even The Queen has to be wrong sometimes......

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 13 Sep , 2011 9:35 am
Aspiring to heresy

[ img ]

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Tue 13 Sep , 2011 2:06 pm

That would be cool! :D

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 40 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: