board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

MST3K and Rifftrax

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 17 posts ]
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: MST3K and Rifftrax
Posted: Sat 21 Aug , 2010 3:54 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

So *E*, and Meril, and I were talking about how much we love these, and, of course, yovi loves them too. And many others of you, as well!

Not only is this the place to talk about them, but we're trying to put together a viewing night or something. (*E* knows how this works; why am I starting this thread? :P) She is going to recommend some good Rifftrax, and we'll go from there.

So we'll wait. Patiently. Or something. :whistle:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject: Re: MST3K and Rifftrax
Posted: Sat 21 Aug , 2010 6:54 am

I've seen a few Rifftrax and so far my fav has been for the Fantastic Four sequel. :thumbsup

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 21 Aug , 2010 10:40 am
Aspiring to heresy

Is this what you're talking about?

amazon link

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Sat 21 Aug , 2010 12:12 pm

Hmm, no, I don't think so. It's where they're doing the MST3K-style commentary over modern movies (eg. they did an LOTR one I haven't seen yet). Since they're current movies, it's illegal to sell them so they just make the audio track available for download, um, somewhere. (Not sure where actually.)

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 21 Aug , 2010 2:06 pm

http://www.rifftrax.com/rifftrax/lord-rings-two-towers

There, for example. :D

I haven't bought the LotR ones yet because I don't have the theatrical versions. I'd have to borrow them from the library or get them from Netflix. But I could certainly do that if that's what everyone wants to start with.

*E* posted some examples in the YouTube thread; the Jurassic Park one seemed especially funny. I've listened to samples of the Eclipse one (or whatever the second Twilight movie is that my daughter made me watch with her a while ago). I think the Rifftrax would improve it nicely. =:)

(My conclusion on that movie? Bella is a jerk. Edward is not very attractive and should keep his shirt on at all times, and Bella deserves to have her blood sucked out by someone--maybe that redhead vampire?--for ditching Jacob.)

I digress.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Sat 21 Aug , 2010 2:13 pm
Daydream Believer

I love RiffTrax because 9 out of 10 times I'm having the same types of conversations while watching movies, especially horror movies or movies like Twilight.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 21 Aug , 2010 2:18 pm

Me too! Freddy and I have to really bite our tongues if we're watching movies with people. He and I naturally fall into this type of sarcastic dialogue if the movie is bad. (But that can cause problems because the people we're with don't often agree that the movie is bad.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Sat 21 Aug , 2010 2:35 pm

I find Rifftrax a bit more hit-n-miss the MST3K. Some of them feel rushed or a bit lazy. But damn did that FF4 movie have me (literally!) rolling on the floor! :LMAO:

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 21 Aug , 2010 3:52 pm

I've never seen the original, but I'm totally game for watching whatever. It's nice to have suggestions, so you're not picking completely at random.

Has anyone seen the LotR ones? Were they funny?

(And I meant no offense to anyone who loves the Twilight movies. I haven't seen the first, only the second. And I can totally see how someone would love it. I just...didn't.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Meril36
Posted: Sat 21 Aug , 2010 4:27 pm

I warned you not to get me started. I did. Don't say you weren't warned!

Trying for profundity only limits depth.

With all the anger in the land, how long before the judgement day? Before we cut the fat ones down to size? Before the barricades arise?

Visit my art gallery at deviantART.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 21 Aug , 2010 6:05 pm
Aspiring to heresy

LalaithUrwen wrote:
Me too! Freddy and I have to really bite our tongues if we're watching movies with people. He and I naturally fall into this type of sarcastic dialogue if the movie is bad. (But that can cause problems because the people we're with don't often agree that the movie is bad.)
I never had any plans to watch any of the Twilight movies before, but now I want to watch it with you two :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Sat 21 Aug , 2010 7:18 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

LalaithUrwen wrote:
we're trying to put together a viewing night or something. (*E* knows how this works; why am I starting this thread? :P)
More like I just have some ideas for how it could be arranged. :uhoh: Trying to remember back to the instant messenger/group chat days, it was a while ago ;) but some behaviors come to mind. Like when it's a slow night and you stay logged in but focus on other activities such as youtube videos, a game, or DVD. Then update your friend on what is happening with each lol. Other times, you post a link in a chat and watch it go quiet for a few seconds while people click on it. Wait for the crying and protestations to ensue. If you have them on webcam, you can see their actual facial expressions! =:) Basically, as a hermit I appreciate situations where I can interact with friends in as real-time a manner as possible, without spending thousands on the moot plane each time. :help:

If we made costume night happen, we can work out movie night, dammit!

It doesn't have to be on IM either. I posted in a few viewing parties on a fansite for Robert Pattinson when the Twilight DVD first came out. :P They'd just give you a date and a time, and find links for the folks with no access to the movie, and we'd all be able to join in the fun. It would be a big two-hour spamathon of quotes, gifs, drooling, and bitching. I loved it! It was like watching ROTK at moots when everyone rolls their eyes at Legolas' diversion line lol.

For b77, we can find good web links, or just downloads from trusted sources. In other cases, give people time to check their rental stores and netflix, etc. I think itunes rents out movies too, or lets you buy them. Options, anyhow.

Jude wrote:
Is this what you're talking about? amazon link
Yup! Not sure I've seen any of their shorts yet, but they are available at the website:

http://www.rifftrax.com/
yovargas wrote:
Since they're current movies, it's illegal to sell them so they just make the audio track available for download, um, somewhere. (Not sure where actually.)
Yeah, that was the only part I was confused about at first. If I still make it sound complicated, it really isn't. :P When you buy a riff, you're only getting an audio file of their commentary. It's your job to get a copy of the actual movie on hand. I don't watch movies on the computer, so I play the commentary on my ipod and just time it to whatever's on screen. They do give you cues about every eight minutes so you can make sure the timing is right. It's very helpful! But the best option is to download the (free) rifftrax player, which will automatically sync the audio to your DVD so you don't have to frig around after bathroom breaks and whatnot.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
TheMary
Posted: Sun 22 Aug , 2010 12:09 am
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

My brothers and I have been Riffing hard lately and it's the best addiction ever.

So you rent/buy/borrow a movie and then you buy a Rifftrax (Rifftrak) from the site and they'll let you know how to sync it and a viola instant hilarity everynight if you so choose.

AND this past week they Riffed the original Reefer Madess live at the movies. There will be an encore showing on August 24th so check your local listings it was great fun. And they are Riffing the original House on Haunted Hill on October 28th.

Let's see, I've started one of the LOTR and it was great. The Twilight movies are a MUST, it was the only way I watched New Moon. We just watched Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull and Avatar awesome. I have Riffed tons more but I'm almost too excited to type. Basically, the best combination is to get a Riff with Mike, Kevin, and Bill Riffing together. Not all Rifftrax feature the trio, but it's a MUST if you want maximum laughs.

There is also Cinematic Titanic which features Joel Hodgson and Trace Beleau (Spelling) and the rest of those who have "parted ways" with Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbet (there was some sort of falling out between the groups). CT is older horror movies and I haven't watched any personally, but I'm sure they are a good time. I've alwasy been more of a Mike girl myself.

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 22 Aug , 2010 3:38 am

(I love Mike, too! :love: )

Okay, this sounds fun! Even if we just all agreed to watch the same one some night and then shared our thoughts afterwards (or at some predetermined points along the way).

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sun 22 Aug , 2010 10:52 pm
Aspiring to heresy

[ img ]

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Sun 22 Aug , 2010 11:58 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

[ img ]

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Mon 23 Aug , 2010 5:31 am
Best friends forever

That Clean and Neat video took me back to grade 7.

Not necessarily a good thing . . . .

But the commentary was sorta cute.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 17 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment”
Jump to: