board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

The Hobbit

Post Reply   Page 5 of 9  [ 177 posts ]
Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 79 »
MariaHobbit
Post subject: Re: The Hobbit
Posted: Mon 10 Dec , 2012 8:50 pm

Prescription 3D glasses, that's what I need!

edit.... Whoa! They really have those! :D

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 14 Dec , 2012 2:09 am
Aspiring to heresy

*sigh* It's sold out tonight.

Maybe tomorrow.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 14 Dec , 2012 1:26 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Oh, bummer! :(

I'm heading out in less than an hour! :banana:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 14 Dec , 2012 3:00 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I should've booked today off work. Oh well.

Don't forget to post your non-spoilerish review!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Fri 14 Dec , 2012 3:18 pm

I'm driving 4 hours (round trip time) to see it in IMAX 3D tomorrow morning.

:)

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Fri 14 Dec , 2012 4:16 pm
of Vinyamar

Hopes Lali likes it too. Starting to feel very lonely in the "liked it" camp!

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 14 Dec , 2012 5:04 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I know what you mean - I read a CBC reviewer who didn't like it. But I glanced through it and he seemed to be objecting to silly things.

One of the complaints was that the 48fps was "too real". I still just don't understand this at all, and have to see it for myself.

I didn't read the review in depth because I wanted to avoid spoilers.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Fri 14 Dec , 2012 8:00 pm
Milk and kisses

I know what "too real" means - my TV, for some unfathomed reason, does the same to films; I think it's some form of smoothing software. The camera movements look too obvious and the whole thing looks too startlingly real, like filmed on video - like those "making of" documentaries. You know the difference in image texture, in quality, between the LoTR films themselves and the "making of" featurettes in the DVDs? That. I imagine the 48FPS looks like that, but I can't say for certain, as I watched it on 24FPS 3D and it was just fine. The 3D was nice, not essential, but a nice extra; it helped make everything more immersive, but you could tell that it wasn't a film specifically created for 3D like, say, Avatar. Which is fine by me. :)

I loved the film, although I'm not such a big Hobbit fan, but that wasn't a problem because it meant I wasn't bothered by the changes. I was just happy to get more Middle-Earth! :D It felt and looked seamlessly like Middle-Earth to me, a welcome re-encounter with familiar characters and places. They've got the environments spot-on, you can tell it's the same world as LotR. The actors are superb too, special mentions to Bilbo and Thorin. The rest of the dwarves (minus Balin, Bofur, Fili and Kili) looked a teeny tiny bit over-made-up, like the prosthetic make up was more noticeable, but I think this was because pretty-boy Kili (this film's Legolas, I bet) doesn't look like he had anything much prosthetics-wise, so the others stood out more.

Some of the set scenes were absolutely amazing. The Azanulbizar and Erebor/Dale scenes are superb, Erebor in particular manages to convey the days of glory of a dwarven kingdom that we could only imagine in Moria. The mountain goblins' lair was breathtaking, as was the mountain giants' fight, and I can't wait to see what Thranduil's palace looks like. Radagast was great, a bit like how Tom Bombadil should look like in film, and I loved the Rhosgobel bunnies (even if they made him more than a bit Santa-like). Oh, and watch out for the Carrock at the very end, setting the scene up nicely for the appearance of Beorn in the next film. :D

I need to watch this again, just because, but also because I could swear Elladan and Elrohir were in a scene with Elrond but I'm not sure.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 14 Dec , 2012 8:29 pm

I liked it! :) You're not alone, Alatar! (I figured if you liked it, I would, too.)

Pretty much cross-posted on HoF:

I just saw it in 3D IMAX non-HFR. I honestly don't think I've ever seen a 3D movie. So the 3D did not bother me at all, but I hated the glasses! The action sequences were often so fast that they were blurry. I don't know if that's normal or not. ?? Freddy and Katie got headaches. Sarah and I are fine, just annoyed by the glasses.

I will see it again in 2D (not sure if I have the option for the HFR or not, will have to check). There were some scenes that were flat-out awesome in 3D, so I say it was worth it just for those.

(The Eagles! :love: )

Rivendell was gorgeous! I loved the ithildin scene. :love:

I already had a crush on Martin Freeman from Sherlock, so this just put me over the edge. He is brilliant as Bilbo. Brilliant!

And Richard Armitage is wonderful as Thorin, completely perfect for the part.

The Riddles in the Dark scene is great!

And the Star Trek trailer!!!!! :bow: AWESOME!!! I am so excited about that!

I'd give it an 8 out of 10. It would probably be a 9 in 2D standard.

But I'm not a purist, so changes from the book didn't bother me. (This is even more so because I don't love The Hobbit in the same way that I love LotR.)

What I didn't like (minor spoilers):
[SHOW]
I thought some of the scene at the beginning with the dwarfs at Bag End was kind of cheesy. That was because of the dwarfs, not because of Bilbo or Gandalf.

The Goblin King's scrotum face was distracting. Plus, all I could picture while he was talking was the shark from Finding Nemo. :D
I can't think what else didn't work for me.

Anyway, there is a wonderful parallel scene to FotR. Did you all catch it? It involved the arrow in the orc and what Thorin says. ?? I laughed!

There were actually several of those kinds of nods to the LotR movies. I didn't mind them; in fact, I thought they were kind of nice, little presents for those of us who are fans.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 14 Dec , 2012 10:06 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Alatar and Lali, where in the theatre were you sitting? And where were Freddy and Katie? I'm just wondering if this has any bearing on the 3D, and whether or not one gets headaches.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 14 Dec , 2012 10:16 pm

Freddy and I were more than halfway up but on the aisle. Katie was further up than that. (This is IMAX, so it's a tall theatre.)

I honestly think it's the glasses that cause the problems.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Sat 15 Dec , 2012 9:07 pm
You are hearing me talk

Part of the learning curve is figuring out how to focus your eyes. When you watch an ordinary movie, you keep your eyes focused at the same depth the entire time (the distance to the screen), regardless of whether you're looking at something in the fore or background. But in a 3d movie, you have to keep changing your focal depth, just like you would if you were actually looking at objects at various distances from your face. I've only watched 3 or 4 3d movies in theaters, and it's always taken me a couple of minutes to figure that out. Until I do, I have trouble making sense of the images.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 16 Dec , 2012 2:47 am

I really didn't have any issues with the 3D images. I was just super annoyed with the glasses.

As an aside, Freddy and I were wondering if there's any connection between having problems with 3D movies and being unable to see the 3D images in those Magic Eye pictures. He can't see those either, but I love them.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Sun 16 Dec , 2012 9:28 am
of Vinyamar

I was in the 4th row near the wall, which I feared would make it not mork so well, but before we started the IMAX guys stated that they had blocked off the seats at the very front on either side because the 3D effect wouldn't work as well there. I had no problems where I was sitting.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 16 Dec , 2012 1:06 pm

Can you see the Magic Eye 3D images?

(I'm taking an unscientific poll here.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Sun 16 Dec , 2012 3:41 pm
You are hearing me talk

Yes, and I think the mental process is similar. In both cases, you take an input that's really 2d, but behave like it's 3d, and suddenly, it is.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 16 Dec , 2012 9:29 pm

Okay, interesting.

(See, I think they're connected, too.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sun 16 Dec , 2012 10:06 pm
Aspiring to heresy

In one sense, our brain has to be trained to render any input as three-dimensional. Look at pictures that were created before artists "discovered" perspective: up is farther away, down is closer. The viewer just makes the mental adjustment to relate it to the real world. Similarly, after they became skilled at perspective: things get skinnier as they get farther away (I'm simplifying, I know). People had to train themselves to see it as a three-dimensional space. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this technology had the same teething problems that polarized 3D glasses have today: people who grew up looking at the old style of drawing, and trying to bring those same mental skills to interpret drawings with "perspective", and not succeeding.

We make all sorts of mental adjustments without realizing it, to make sense of the world, or to map it out. Our retina actually receives images upside-down, and we mentally flip it around without even realizing it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Sun 16 Dec , 2012 10:31 pm
of Vinyamar

Interestingly, the reason most people get headache with 3D is that your brain finds it difficult to adjust. Your eyes are focussing on a screen a fixed distance away. Then you see a 3D object thats appears to be either further away or closer than the screen actually is. Your brain sends a signal to your eyes to adjust focus, but that doesn't work because the image is still the same distance away. This can cause both eye strain and headaches. Some people adjust to it quickly, others never do.

Incidentally, saw The Hobbit again tonight is standard 3D and there is literally no comparison. HFR 3D is the future of 3D movies. I don't know if it will be the future of 2D, but for 3D I think there's no argument.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sun 16 Dec , 2012 10:42 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I'm hoping to see it tomorrow... :pray:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 9  [ 177 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 79 »
Jump to: