The Last Homely Site on the Web

The Hobbit

Post Reply   Page 6 of 9  [ 177 posts ]
Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 8 9 »
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Re: The Hobbit
Posted: Mon 17 Dec , 2012 3:04 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

And the 3D IMAX is different (possibly) than HFR 3D, right? Just verifying.

I hope you get to see it, Jude! And I hope you enjoy it!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 17 Dec , 2012 3:49 am
Aspiring to heresy

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 17 Dec , 2012 5:22 am

I saw that! :LMAO:

(Spoiler: It's not true! ;) )

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 17 Dec , 2012 2:59 pm

I saw it Saturday in 3D Imax HFR (at least I think I did- the theater I went to was listed as having HFR capability). I did notice that the 3D previews that were presumably not shot in HFR were harder on my eyes.

I didn't have any trouble with the movie itself, except for some of the really fast action sequences being hard to follow. We got there early and got prime seats, so that may have helped. This was my first 3D movie, and I didn't get a headache or anything.

On the whole I loved the movie. The only continually jarring thing for me was the actor who played Kili. Having seen the first season of "Being Human" where he plays a vampire, I had trouble adjusting to him in the role of Kili. He just didn't get enough lines to make him "Kili" in my mind. So, every time I saw his face, it was a muted sort of :Q reaction on my part, and his role as Mitchell would come to mind. :nono:

I didn't have that problem with Martin Freeman at all. I loved him in Sherlock, but he instantly turned into Bilbo for me after just a few minutes. :love:

As usual, I couldn't see the reason for some of the changes from the book- they didn't seem to be time savers and thus.... what's the point? When the book was quoted word for word, though, I just sat there grinning. :)

I liked it. :)

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 17 Dec , 2012 3:10 pm

:banana:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 18 Dec , 2012 3:16 am
Aspiring to heresy

I absolutely loved it. I only had two main quibbles. How soon can we discuss in detail? Am I the last on this board to have seen it?

I understand now the controversy of the higher frame rate: it's so crystal-clear that it's so much more lifelike than I'm used to seeing in a movie. Hi-def movies always seemed lifelike to me before - I had no idea that I was compensating for all the intervals between the frames. All I can say is - it was so realistic that it didn't look like a movie to me. Or what I'm used to thinking of as a movie.

I imagine people had the same reaction when colour first came out ("Hey, if I wanted to see colour I'd go to the theatre!"). Or when the talkies came along.

Anyway - a great, great movie.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 18 Dec , 2012 3:19 am

Well, we could always label thread as having spoilers, or we could start a new thread with a spoiler warning.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Deumeawyn
Posted: Tue 18 Dec , 2012 2:33 pm

I saw it tonight at an advance screening and I came out of it feeling pretty 'meh'. Doubt I'll see it again until maybe when it comes to TV.

Maiden the Shade

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 18 Dec , 2012 3:50 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I'll put stuff in spoiler tags until we all agree that it's safe to speak openly...
[SHOW]
It would have been really interesting to see Bilbo's escape from Gollum without already having read the book. Martin Freeman's silent acting at this point was absolutely magnificent. Even though I knew he wouldn't kill him I was sitting on pins the whole time.

Also, Andy Serkis has had ten years to hone and perfect his interpretation of Gollum, and it shows. It truly was a delight to see the "Sméagol" side of him experiencing such innocent joy in playing the riddle game.
More later - just a quick post between tasks at work :halo:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 18 Dec , 2012 3:58 pm

I totally agree that that scene was amazing! Absolutely superb!

I'm sorry you weren't impressed, Dwyn! :(

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 19 Dec , 2012 4:00 am
Aspiring to heresy

[SHOW]
So, since we actually got to see the Necromancer - how are they going to make the transition to that great flaming disembodied eye?
By the way, Alatar - were you offended that Gandalf forgot your name? :Wooper:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Wed 19 Dec , 2012 10:25 am
of Vinyamar

I really liked that touch. Neat way of getting around the rights issues! :)

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Posted: Wed 19 Dec , 2012 10:35 am
Same as it ever was

Saw it Saturday a.m. I liked it, but my purist tendencies kept poking out when the story deviated, although the changes and inserts really were done well and added to the story. I especially liked the following "additions":
[SHOW]
The scene at Rivendell where Elrond, Galadriel, and Saruman show us the White Council. Along with the White Council, the Necromancer and Dol Guldur scenes were a great parallel storyline to the trek to Erebor. The expansion of Radagast - although somewhat comedic relief, I found him charming and a nice foil for all of the bloody combat. Finally, I quite enjoyed the "softer" side of Elrond, he came across much more believable as an elf lord without all of the doom and gloom.
There were only a few things which I found annoying or superfluous:
[SHOW]
I really did not like the cameo with Frodo, it seemed awkward and out of place. Maybe it was needed for movie fans unfamiliar with the books. And again, I felt there was way too much time devoted to battling orcs, but I suppose a film heavy-handed with orc carnage is preferable to one featuring hundreds of large man-eating spiders. Yikes!! One final nitpick - why is Gandalf the moth whisperer?
I loved the cast, and even the various dwarves were well done, although I could not understand why some were rather comical looking and others were much more warrior-like, almost like the FX makeup artists were having a feud over how dwarves should look. And, alas for me, the musical score was lifted right out of LOTR, I was expecting some new soundtracks.

All in all, it was really a very good and enjoyable film - long ( so watch that beverage consumption!!) but filled with action and events so that it never drags. I saw the hi-def non-3D version, I thought the picture quality was superb. ( I really dislike 3D films - my eyes cannot seem to accept the strain and I end up getting sharp headaches.)

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Deumeawyn
Posted: Wed 19 Dec , 2012 11:29 am

I didn't notice the spoiler tag before...
[SHOW]
I thought the White Council was a good part of the movie in appearance. Galadriel looked much better than in Fellowship of the Ring, and Elrond was more approachable. But Sarumann looked like he didnt want to be involved in the movie, and his cheesy, predictable lines were phoned in. He probably couldn't believe how bad the writing was. Oh yes, Rivendell looked more 'Rivendell'y as they remodeled and got rid of some of the gazebos. The three trolls part was good too, as was Bilbo & Gollum. But to try and drag the Dwarf and Orc wars out of the appendix to pad the Hobbit story to stretch it into 3 movies, was poor.
I guess it just doesn't have the magic the earlier films had going in. I m glad I for in free to an advance screening for dressing up.

Maiden the Shade

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Wed 19 Dec , 2012 3:29 pm

One burning question for those who've seen it - does one of the dwarves really have an axe sticking out of his forehead?

(btw, don't worry about spoilers on my account. I don't mind them at all, and if I did, I could avoid the thread.)

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 19 Dec , 2012 3:37 pm
Aspiring to heresy

[SHOW]
Things I didn't like:

1. The line "he took it as a sign that his kingship was by divine right". This just jarred with me; divine right is not a thing that the dwarves would be concerned about.
2. The long fight in the goblin kingdom between the dwarves and the goblins. I really, really hate it when they show battles between a small bunch of "good guys" and an overwhelming bunch of "bad guys" and all the goodies survive despite overwhelming odds and in defiance of all logic (what Lord_M calls the Stormtrooper Syndrome). Okay, it wasn't nearly as bad as Helm's Deep, but that's setting the bar pretty darn low.

Things I loved:
The photography! The scenery! The moonlit cloudscape as the eagles flew into the distance!
The glimpses of the "bigger picture": Gandalf's "other business" which is often referred to in the book but not spelled out.
Being able to put a face on all the dwarves. I expect to be a lot more moved after the Battle of Five Armies when some of the dwarves are killed. From the book, besides Balin, Thorin, and Bombur, the rest are just names that I couldn't match with a personality or face. In fact, I couldn't tell you from memory which of the dwarves don't survive the Battle (besides Thorin).
The songs from the book (and I'm equally glad they decided to cut "Tra-la-la-lally, down in the valley"!).
And much, much more...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 19 Dec , 2012 5:37 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I posted earlier that I read on cinemaclock that David Tennant was in it - but I found no mention of this on IMDB (I looked up both The Hobbit and David Tennant's entry, and there was no mention of this). So unless I hear otherwise, I'll just assume that the cinemaclock reference was a mistake.

Stephen Colbert is supposed to be playing some mystery character in the movie, but I didn't spot him. Mind you, I wasn't specifically looking for him. Did anyone else spot him?

Finally, I gather from the comments that I'm the only one that loves The Hobbit (book) just as much as LOTR. And even I loved the movie. I think that's a good sign :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 04 Jan , 2013 8:30 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I can't believe that this thread isn't more active - and therefore I have to post three times in a row :P

I saw it again with my brother and sister-in-law. He loved it and remarked that the ultra-high-definition means that they have to take more care with the cgi because it's more obvious when it isn't absolutely spot-on. I pressed him for details of what didn't work for him and he singled out the cgi in the silly chase through goblintown.

She teaches photography and film and is usually more critical than he is - but in this case she was totally blown away and thought it was perfect from start to finish. Even that cheesy chase scene. This is a first for her :Q

My own impressions from the first viewing were confirmed, except that I found a couple of things to nitpick in the White Council scene - specifically some of Saruman's lines, and the placing of the two characters during the dialogue between Gandalf and Galadriel. Despite these, I like the scene and would much rather have it in the movie than not have it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 06 Jan , 2013 3:29 am

I really need to go see it again. I just have to find the time! :(

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Mon 07 Jan , 2013 8:56 am
of Vinyamar

Honestly, I've been discussing so much elsewhere there seems little point repeating it all here, when there's so small a group discussing.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 6 of 9  [ 177 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 8 9 »
Jump to: