board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

The Hobbit

Post Reply   Page 4 of 9  [ 177 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 69 »
MariaHobbit
Post subject: Re: The Hobbit
Posted: Wed 05 Dec , 2012 4:35 pm

When I did that at the 2003 Gathering, I had a severe headache by the time the third one came along.

That doesn't mean you will.... but it's a long time to get hit by that much sound and flashing lights in the dark.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 05 Dec , 2012 11:45 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I know. Well, I've compromised anyway. Our friends are getting all 3 on Blu-Ray, and they have a pretty awesome home theatre system. So we're going to their house for the day. That should allow me to get up and move around as needed. :) Plus, it will just be more fun all the way around.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 06 Dec , 2012 9:56 am
Aspiring to heresy

Book display win:

[ img ]

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 06 Dec , 2012 2:25 pm

That's really cool!

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 06 Dec , 2012 3:28 pm

That is cool! I love the eye! :LMAO:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Deumeawyn
Posted: Sat 08 Dec , 2012 1:16 pm

It doesn't open here in Australia until Boxing Day (26 December), but, I have been invited to an advance screening at as yet an undisclosed theatre on the 21st! So excited. I'm just hoping it isn't in 3D.

Maiden the Shade

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 08 Dec , 2012 1:47 pm

That's exciting, Dwyn! :banana:

So I'm off to my LotR marathon! :horse:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 08 Dec , 2012 3:36 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I think we should have a 6-movie marathon sometime in 2016 :cool:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 09 Dec , 2012 12:42 pm

:Q

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sun 09 Dec , 2012 2:08 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Well, maybe a 2-movie-a-day thing over 3 days, between which we can meet in a pub or a coffee-house and discuss them.

So how was the half-marathon?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 09 Dec , 2012 7:13 pm

That's a better idea!

It was fun! I watched all of FotR (minus a potty break here and there). I didn't get to watch much of TT because my loyalties were divided. Being at my friend's house, and seeing as she can't sit and watch movies for that long (nor is she a huge fan of LotR), I spent some time with her. We needed to run our girls up to the church for a babysitting gig followed by a party. And we had to let my dog out to go potty. And we got pizza for dinner. So, like I said, I missed most of TT. That didn't bother me too much because it's my least favorite (i.e., most likely to get my Irish up about the changes PJ made). I watched parts of RotK because I was trying to do a project for my friend (make bows for her tree), and I was checking in on her because she was detailing my van (something she actually really wanted to do, though it was absolutely disgusting!). There came a point where I had to supervise because she wouldn't have known what to throw out and what to keep. And then Freddy and I had to leave before RoTK was over (did not get to see Eowyn kill the Witch-king, which bummed me out :( ). We had to pick up the girls from the party.

So...the marathon was good--as much of it as I got to watch! It was much nicer watching it at someone's house. We had a snack break at the first intermission (end of disc one of FotR). (A sort of 2nd breakfast, if you will. :D) I could use the restroom whenever I wanted. I could sit there snuggled into my electric blanket. :) We had a longer break for lunch.

They have a high def, 3D TV that is enormous. 72"? They got blu-ray discs for their oldest son's birthday, so that was a different viewing experience from the theatre and from the DVDs I have! I'm not sure how I felt about it. It looked like a TV show. However, I told Freddy that it's probably good that we saw it that way. Now the Hobbit style won't be as much of a distraction.

I did score points with her husband and oldest son when I told them that the tickets I got for all of us were for 3D IMAX. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sun 09 Dec , 2012 8:52 pm
Aspiring to heresy

LalaithUrwen wrote:
(did not get to see Eowyn kill the Witch-king, which bummed me out :( ).
Here ya go:

[ img ]

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 10 Dec , 2012 3:26 am

:bow:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Mon 10 Dec , 2012 10:31 am
of Vinyamar

Ok, so here's my Non-spoiler review.

I loved it. Really loved it. In a strange way, I think I may even prefer it to LotR. Wait... I'm not insane! Its not as breathtaking as LotR was, but its also not as uneven. I can't recall any moment that was a breathtaking as the Lighting of the Beacons, or Gandalf's ride through Minas Tirith, but crucially, there were no jarring moments for me. No Nuclear Galadriel, no Denethor Flambee, no Scrubbing Bubbles. It is, in my opinion, the best adaptation of a Tolkien novel yet. Not because its purist, cause it isn't, but because it "feels" like The Hobbit. I was really, really surprised how close in tone it is to the books. Even the Troll scene, which I fully expected to be brought closer in tone to LotR was pure Hobbit. I'm not saying its the same, but it has the same tone. The same is true of almost every scene. Which would of course make you wonder, well how about all that "Holy Epic Backstory Batman". The Erebor and Azanulbizar backflashes are brilliant, and the White Council material is just fantastic, and yet somehow PJ has managed to marry the high fantasy style of these stories with the childlike tone and adventure quality of The Hobbit. Its a seriously impressive feat.

On the characters. Martin Freeman is right up there with Ian McKellan as the best ever performance of a Tolkien character. He inhabits Bilbo seamlessly. Every look and gesture is intelligently acted, beautifully balancing the sincerity with the bluster. I adored him. Richard Armitage as Thorin has done what Sean Bean did with Boromir. It may not be the character of Thorin from the book, and some will miss that, but I loved it. You care about Movie Thorin in a way I never did about Book Thorin. He's a proud insufferable git, but he has heart and depth. Of course, we learn to love him mostly through Ken Stott's portrayal of Balin. One of my favourite of the Dwarves from the book, and also the movie. Beautiful, subtle performance. James Nesbitt had some lovely moments also and shone through. Fili and Kili were nice, but nothing special, in many ways reminiscent of Merry and Pippin, characterwise. Ori had some nice moments, as did Dori. Nori was a bit invisible. Gloin had some impact in places, but Oin not so much. Bifur and Bombur had little to do. Dwalin was a bit of a curiosity. He just looks too tall! Whew, thats all 13 right?

Ian McKellan is back with a bang. You can see why he prefers Gandalf the Grey to Gandalf the White. Consummate performance. Just perfection. Radagast is great, a bit OTT on some of the comedy reactions, but perfect for the kids movie this is. I had no problem with him. Elrond is great here, a nice change from grumpy Elrond of LotR, much more likeable. Oh, and nice cameo from Figwit! Christopher Lee gives us a lovely nuanced Saruman, proud and arrogant, but for now still with his heart in the right place. And then there's Cate Blanchett. Oh sweet Lord she was amazing. Why oh why did PJ feel he had to mess with her character in LotR. THIS was the Galadriel I wanted to see in Fellowship. Just sublime.

Now to the baddies. The Pale Orc, Azog, was for me the least successful character. I remember Ang Lee talking about the difficulty of making the Incredible Hulk appear real, no matter how good the CG, simply because green skin looks fake. I think the same must be true of white skin, because this character just didn't work for me. Strangely enough, I fully expected to hate the Great Goblin, but this really worked for me, again, in the context of a kids movie. Nice job by Dame Edna! Of course, the central "baddie" in this move was Gollum and boy did he deliver. Again, I found his performance in Towers to be played too often for laughs, and not sinister enough. That's rectified here, and the Riddles in the Dark section is probably one of the best Tolkien scenes on film to date. They made the split personality really work here, and "stinker" was genuinely frightening. As for the moment in the corridor, where the pity of Bilbo rules the fate of many? Chills. Just. Chills.

Finally, the 48FPS. All I can say is that I didn't notice all this supposed "fake BBC" but maybe thats cause I watch and like BBC shows. I dunno. I thought it looked spectacular. Probably the best thing I can say about it is that the 3D was completely natural. I never felt like I was struggling to focus, or that I was getting a headache. I frankly forgot I had the glasses on. That said, I'm sure the movie will look equally gorgeous in 24FPS non 3D. Except for the Eagles. That bit is just stunning in the ultra high def 3D.

So there you go. For reference I should point out that I'm not as much of a fan of The Hobbit as a book as I am of LotR, and that in general I'm easily pleased by decent CG, so don't expect your reaction to be the same if your tastes differ!

But I bloody loved it. :)

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 10 Dec , 2012 10:53 am
Aspiring to heresy

That sounds exciting! Thanks for posting that review!

P.S. Dame Edna's in it? :Q Holy swear words.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Mon 10 Dec , 2012 11:22 am
of Vinyamar

Yeah, Barry Humphries plays the Goblin King!

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 10 Dec , 2012 2:50 pm

:banana: Yay! I am quite confident that if you liked it I will like it, too! Like you, I'm not as tied into the Hobbit as LotR, so I don't expect to be annoyed by revisions.

Now I'm super excited!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 10 Dec , 2012 4:25 pm

I'm excited, too! Got to get tickets!

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 10 Dec , 2012 8:20 pm

Got tickets for 3D Imax!

Now got to get new glasses with smaller lenses, so the 3D glasses will fit over them.

I've held out against small lens glasses for decades... but will capitulate for this purpose. I'll have to get them to give me the prescription so I can order some correctly sized ones over the internet for cheaper.

I should have done this earlier, then I wouldn't have to buy the teensy glasses from the quickie eyemart place. *sigh*

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 10 Dec , 2012 8:37 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I hope Peter Jackson appreciates the sacrifice you're making for him :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 9  [ 177 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 69 »
Jump to: