board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Argo

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Argo
Posted: Wed 14 Nov , 2012 1:38 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I went to see this yesterday with a friend. It was really good! (I haven't seen a good movie in a while. :neutral: And we weren't allowed to go see Skyfall because her husband wants to go see it with her.)

Has anyone else seen it? If so, what did you think?

There was some nostalgia in seeing the props from the late 70s/early 80s. (Even the little things, like McDonald's hamburger wrappers.) The toys in the background were awesome, too!

Anyway, it was a great movie--very suspenseful. The fact that it is based on a true story makes it even better, imo.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject: Re: Argo
Posted: Wed 14 Nov , 2012 2:11 pm
of Vinyamar

Hoping to see it Lali.

On a related note, has anyone seen Mad Men? I just started watching it and the depictions of the late 60s/early 70s are priceless!

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 14 Nov , 2012 2:26 pm

I don't have cable, so I've missed it till now. I could look for it on Netflix. It did look interesting to me.

If you see Argo, you'll have to let me know what you think.

On a completely frivolous note, everything (and everyone) was so much uglier in the 70s/early 80s! :LMAO: What were people smoking back... oh, yeah, never mind.

(They even managed to make Kyle Chandler look unattractive. And Ben Affleck!)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 14 Nov , 2012 2:45 pm
Aspiring to heresy

So what are Argo and Mad Men about? I haven't been following what's on, so this is the first I've heard of them.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 14 Nov , 2012 3:08 pm

Argo is about 6 Americans who manage to escape unnoticed from the American embassy in Iran while the rest of the Americans in the embassy are taken hostage. (Theirs is the basic story I knew and barely remember.) The 6 who escape hide out at the Canadian ambassador's house, which was extremely brave of him to allow them to do.

The Iranians forced children to piece together shredded documents from the embassy, and, as they did so, they began to realize that there were missing Americans. (They had photos on file of the workers are the embassy.)

So it becomes this race against time. Can the CIA save the 6 in hiding before they are discovered? They decide that the "best bad choice" for a cover is to make it look like they are Canadians scouting a location for a sci-fi movie (Argo). They create fake profiles for the 6, and the main character, Tony Mendez (Ben Affleck), is the producer. They elicit cooperation from a real Hollywood producer and makeup artist (?).
[SHOW]
In the end, it is Canada who takes the credit for what happens. This is to avoid repercussions against the American hostages. Clinton declassified the operation, and the truth was finally told.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 14 Nov , 2012 3:20 pm
Aspiring to heresy

*resists urge to open spoiler*

I've read about this incident and I remember about the Canadians helping the Americans hide out from the embassy takeover. Is the part about pretending to make a movie historically true, or did they make this up for the present movie?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 14 Nov , 2012 3:26 pm

No, afaik, it's true. And the Canadians are definite heroes in this whole thing, so yay! for Canada! ;)

(The spoiler is a mild one that doesn't give away the ending, though it might possibly be implied from what I said. It's mostly about how Canada took responsibility for the incident. There. Now you don't need to look.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Wed 14 Nov , 2012 4:13 pm
of Vinyamar

Mad Men is about advertising executives on Madison Avenue, oh, easier to just Wikipedia it!
Quote:
Mad Men is set in the 1960s, initially at the fictional Sterling Cooper advertising agency on Madison Avenue in New York City, and later at the newly created firm Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce.[2] The focal point of the series is Don Draper (Jon Hamm), creative director at Sterling Cooper and a founding partner at Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce, and the people in his life, both in and out of the office. The plot focuses on the business of the agencies as well as the personal lives of the characters. As such, it regularly depicts the changing moods and social mores of 1960s America.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment”
Jump to: