board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Triple J's Hottest 100

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 17 posts ]
Deumeawyn
Post subject: Triple J's Hottest 100
Posted: Sat 26 Jan , 2013 9:44 am

All I have to say about the #1 song was it was a let down. Enjoyed may of the other artists along the way though, like Tame Impala and First Aid Kit. I'll post some of my favs in a bit.

Triple J

Maiden the Shade

Profile Quote
Deumeawyn
Post subject: Re: Triple J's Hottest 100
Posted: Mon 11 Feb , 2013 1:34 pm

Ok, no comments. I guess its because its a year ahead of the USA mainstream? Gotye was the top of both the JJJ Hottest 100 & ZzZ's Hot 100 LAST YEAR (2011), and its just now getting a Grammy. Good work Gotye! :)

Maiden the Shade

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Mon 11 Feb , 2013 2:22 pm
of Vinyamar

I'm just too old to know anything about current music :)

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 11 Feb , 2013 7:39 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I've never heard of it. And I refuse to be too old to know anything about current music. ;)

I knew everybody on the Grammys last night and their songs, too.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Tue 12 Feb , 2013 2:49 pm

Quote:
I've never heard of it. And I refuse to be too old to know anything about current music. ;)
Ah, but it's easy for you. You have teenagers. ;)

I have no idea what's popular at the moment (though I've been hearing a lot of remakes of the songs I listened to on college radio stations in the 80s). And yes, saying that makes me feel old. :D

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 12 Feb , 2013 7:43 pm

Ah, but the thing is that I'm cooler than my teenagers and listen to more music than they do. ;) Truthfully.

(But they do help a bit anyway. They catch some of the more mainstream artists that I wouldn't necessarily listen to.)

I guess I've determined that I don't want to feel old when it comes to music. I can't change the fact that I'm looking older or feeling older physically. I don't want to be weird and try to dress like I'm 20 or anything crazy. I know I'm 41. I don't have to dress like I'm 81, but there are certain limits I can and should put in place. However, I just don't want to be old when it comes to music.

Maybe I'll reach a point eventually where I say, "I don't like this music anymore," but, so far, I haven't gotten there. (Of course, there are artists I don't like, but that's true for everyone. Ke$ha, as an example, makes me violent because I hate her so much.)

On a related note, I'm going to a Muse concert in 2 weeks. :banana:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 12 Feb , 2013 7:58 pm
Aspiring to heresy

If your age is determined by the music you listen to, I'm the oldest person on this board! :P

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 12 Feb , 2013 8:26 pm

:D That is probably true!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Tue 12 Feb , 2013 9:28 pm

Jude, I'm not so sure of that. I was listening to medieval chants the other day. :D
Quote:
I guess I've determined that I don't want to feel old when it comes to music. I can't change the fact that I'm looking older or feeling older physically. I don't want to be weird and try to dress like I'm 20 or anything crazy. I know I'm 41. I don't have to dress like I'm 81, but there are certain limits I can and should put in place.
I know exactly what you mean. I tend to wear things that are somewhere between classic and fashionable (though I refuse to revisit the fashion mistakes from the 70s), but most of the styles that look cute and sexy on a 20 year old would just look like I'd lost my mind.

Not too long ago, I saw an elderly woman (grandson in tow) in a leopard print micro mini skirt and a top that showed quite a lot of cleavage. On the one hand, I thought "more power to her, if that's what she wants to wear." On the other, I thought it looked absolutely tacky, and I was definitely NOT planning to wear that when I was her age.
Quote:
However, I just don't want to be old when it comes to music
Good for you! Alas, I'm afraid I probably am - I gave up when rap was the big thing. Those rhythms give me a headache. And now it looks like the "alternative rock" I listened to when I was young has become the new elevator/grocery store music. I swear I heard songs from both The Clash and Chris Isaak, last week.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Thu 14 Feb , 2013 1:27 am

You can not like hip-hop in general but anyone who hears this and doesn't wanna get up and dance must not have a pulse.

Shake it!

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 14 Feb , 2013 2:38 am

:banana: Yeah, that is a fun song!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Thu 14 Feb , 2013 3:07 am

Damn right! :cool:

And while we're on the subject, while I am generally more of a rock guy, my favorite song foe both 2012 and 2011 have each been rap songs:

Earl Sweatshirt - Chum

Azealia Banks - 212 (some really foul language on this one but damn it's fun!)

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 14 Feb , 2013 4:05 am

Yeah, the second one has a funky beat that I could like, but the language makes it a no-go for me.

I will admit a current guilty pleasure, though.

Pitbull.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Thu 14 Feb , 2013 2:28 pm

yovargas wrote:
You can not like hip-hop in general but anyone who hears this and doesn't wanna get up and dance must not have a pulse.
Checks pulse

oops. :scared: Maybe I'd better order a cane and rocking chair? ;)

I think my hip-hop appreciation gene was linked to my opera appreciation gene. Both seem to be missing.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Thu 14 Feb , 2013 4:01 pm

Quick! Call a doctor! This person's got no pulse!

;)

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Fri 15 Feb , 2013 7:53 pm

I'm with aininkling- that song did nothing for me. :shrug:

Of course, the last music that made me get up and dance was the theme music to Buffy... so my criteria is possibly a bit warped.

Yes, picture it: the episode is over, the music starts and my husband and I jump out of our chairs and dance until the tune is over and the little monster says "Grrrr Arggghh".

And we collapse laughing.

And yes, that happened more often than you'd expect over 7 seasons..... :)

I know you could just google it, but there's an extended version that doesn't seem quite right to me. This 56 second one is what I'm talking about : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9weWYKbLwik

Profile Quote
Deumeawyn
Posted: Sat 16 Feb , 2013 11:10 pm

I have a hard time with rap, and find it hard to consider most of it music. That said, Seth Sentry did have a cute song about a waitress on the 2009 list. Maybe because I could relate to the waitress as I did that work for a couple years.

Maiden the Shade

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 17 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment”
Jump to: