board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

The Lore of the Eldar - A Handmade Silmarillion!

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
nienna
Post subject: The Lore of the Eldar - A Handmade Silmarillion!
Posted: Sat 13 Jun , 2020 7:34 am
The best things in life are not things

Not sure if you have to have an instagram account to view this, but I have been following a guy called Chrisdtopher Pickman (@damrodsindol) who is an amazing artist and calligrapher, and has dedicated his efforts to producing a handmade version of Tolkien's Legendarium:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBXR2dyHchA/
Quote:
The Lore of the Eldar:
The Silmarillion By hand.

After around four years of work I can already leaf through it and the story can be seen in the drawings. It is not finished, of course, but it has 82 pages and I feel like 20 or 25 more could complete everything #Silmarillion. I have used different styles of drawing and painting to create the illusion that many different elven minds and hands worked for ages on these pages, and I have deliberately put a few references to the art of other artists intimately related to the Professor's work. Tolkien as well as old RPG and card games from before the PJ era.

Incidentally, I have respected the appearance of places and faces of the film saga in order to condense everything into the same "canonical" vision, to use a word, although it is limited to LoTR and the Third Age. The idea is to present a series of illustrations representing various manuscripts and books, portraits and paintings of the Elven Tradition, written in different Tengwar modes, the vast majority in my mother tongue, Spanish, and in English and in Quenya and Sindarin. All the texts have been transcribed from the Silmarillion, and from the poems and songs of LoTR.
Much of the landscapes that illustrate Beleriand were inspired by the beautiful lands of Patagonia and southern Chile, its forests, mountains, lakes, islands and glaciers.

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject: Re: The Lore of the Eldar - A Handmade Silmarillion!
Posted: Sun 14 Jun , 2020 8:33 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I could view that without an instagram account.

I liked the landscapes and the action scenes, but I'm not totally sold on the facial close-ups. What did you think?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Mon 15 Jun , 2020 6:49 am
The best things in life are not things

Yeah, I agree, some of the faces are not quite ethereal-looking enough for Elves. I think there's one of Liv as Arwen which works as we're used to that interpretation but most of the others seem to have more normal "human" looks. I also think that the large feature portraits are too dominant on some of the pages. The smaller cameos work better. Still, wish I had a fraction of his talent! :bow:

BTW, the video is not that all that clear, but if you click on his name (damrodsindol) it will take you to his gallery and you can see individual pages and closeups of partial drawings which he posts each day as he's working on them.

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 18 Jun , 2020 5:17 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Oooh, I really liked those.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment”
Jump to: