The Last Homely Site on the Web

Celtic Music

Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 60 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2005 9:02 pm
Not so deep as a well

I like the perky stuff. The slow, sad stuff makes me suicidal.

So I guess it's effective. :D

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
eborr
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Mar , 2005 5:39 pm

funny the way the world works, I was just thinking of Horslips today, they had a few LP's that were so good, and some other stuff which really didn't stand the test of time, can't say I'vr listened to much Celtic music though, other than the Pogues

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Mar , 2005 9:14 pm
Frodo's girl through and through

Oooh, have only just discovered this lovely thread! :)

I love Celtic/Irish music and indeed folk music in general. I have a modest collection: Loreena McKennit, Clannad, Van the Man (Van Morrison of course!), and yup, the Corrs. (They are FANTASTIC live).

I also like Mary Black - famous Irish singer with a gorgeous voice.

Have you heard of Runrig, Lalaith? Wonderful Scottish band. Their music is rock/ballad.

Moya Brennan, one of the Clannad singers, has brought out two Christian-themed albums over the last few years: 'Perfect Time' and 'Whisper to the Wild Waters'. Her latest, 'Two Horizons', is not Christian-themed but is a concept album. It's beautiful. (In fact it's playing on my CD player right now). More details HERE:
http://www.moyabrennan.com/TwoHorizons/

One of my favourite bands is a Christian group called Iona, whose music is rock/jazz fusion. Not entirely unlike Clannad, but less ballad-y and more conceptual. I absolutely love their albums. Their female vocalist, Joanne Hogg, has a beautiful pure Irish voice. Clicky HERE:
http://www.iona.uk.com/newindex/2004_pages/home.htm

I was on holiday in County Donegal five years ago, and went to quite a few pubs where the local folks would have 'sessions', i.e. they'd bring along their guitars and flutes and violins and etcetera and just play traditional Irish reels, jigs and songs all night long. It was absolutely wonderful. :)

We just don't have that in England. :( Maybe many, many generations ago something like it existed ... but not any more. We have a pub culture, right enough, but it's not a musical one. :(

I love Ireland and all things Irish. I'm not sure why, as I don't have Irish blood in me (as far as I know). Perhaps it's because my English birth-mother, whom I traced eight years ago, has lived in Ulster since the early 1960s (she moved from England to Ulster the year after she had me and gave me up for adoption). Perhaps it's because my adoptive father has Ulster blood in him. Whatever ... I love the North, and I love the Republic. :)

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Avatar by elanordh on Live Journal

Profile Quote
Northerner
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Mar , 2005 5:08 pm
Queen of the Tundra

Clancy Brothers? Or are they out of fashion? I have their stuff on vinyl, tape, and now CD. Not a Celtic tune, but their rendition of And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda is just killer. :bawl: :bawl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
IdylleSeethes
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 20 Mar , 2005 12:40 am

I love Loreena.

Isn't Brennan Enya's sister?

Is anyone familiar with Fiona Kennedy? I have one song by her which I like very much, but haven't found anything else.

Idylle in exile: the view over the laptop on a bad day
[ img ]

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 20 Mar , 2005 4:00 am
Waiting for winter

The only Fiona I know is Fiona Ritchie, host of The Thistle and Shamrock, a Celtic music radio program on National Public Radio. Fiona is one of the few claims to fame of my alma mater, the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. She started the T&S when I was a student there in 1982, as a weekly program on their NPR station WFAE. She has since moved back to Scotland, where she now produces the show, but she still has her American office in Charlotte.

It a really good program. Check your local NPR stations to see if it’s available. Here’s a link to the website:

The Thistle and Shamrock

Di,
I’ve heard Mary Black and Runrig before. Both quite good.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 20 Mar , 2005 11:45 am
of Vinyamar

Máire Brennan, her two brothers Pól and Ciarán, and their uncles Pádraig and Noel Duggan make up Clannad. Clannad is Irish for Family. Máire's younger sister Eithne pursued a solo career as Enya. Enya and Moya are simply phonetic spellings for the way the original Irish names are pronounced in Donegal. They would have completely different pronunciations is other parts of Ireland. Where I live they would be Moyra and Etna.

Here ends today's lesson!

Cheers,
Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
IdylleSeethes
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Mar , 2005 10:45 pm

Thanks Alatar.

For tomorrow's lesson, what is the correct pronunciation of "Enya"?

Idylle in exile: the view over the laptop on a bad day
[ img ]

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 12:27 am

Ah, Celtic music...

I was raised on the Clancy Brothers, especially Liam Clancy's solo album. Since then I've listened to just about everything Celtic and enjoy almost all of it. It's hard to pick favorites, but I'd have to list Dougie MacLean, Mary Black, Capercaillie, Alasdair Fraser, the Chieftains, Boys of the Lough, etc. etc.

My husband and I perform Celtic and original music together as The Dawn Treaders. I play Celtic harp and he plays fiddle, penny whistle, bodhran and whatever other instrument catches his fancy (Fiona Ritchie taught him to play the "bones"). We have a CD, "Ride the Wind," but it's not in stores so I'm sure you've never heard it.

Although I like all sorts of Celtic music, I prefer to play Irish tunes. That could be from too many performances at Scottish highland games, where we had to play with bagpipes blasting in our ears. In a competition between harp and bagpipe, harp is roadkill.

Word shaper / Soul tender / Melody maker

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 1:42 am
Waiting for winter

/pardon the interruption, but...
Wampuscat wrote:
(Fiona Ritchie taught him to play the "bones").
Are you serious? You know Fiona Ritchie? Wow! That’s amazing. I’m impressed, really impressed.

Wampus, I’d really love to come see you play sometime (I’m just down the road, you know). Can you tell me where you play? Are you going to play at the Loch Norman games? I’ll be there, so I’d love to see you. And where can I get this CD of yours? It sounds great.

/end of interruption

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 9:24 am
of Vinyamar

IdylleSeethes wrote:
Thanks Alatar.

For tomorrow's lesson, what is the correct pronunciation of "Enya"?
Well, Enya is meant to be pronounced as it looks "En-Ya". Like I said, it's a phonetic spelling of Eithne, but Eithne doesn't really look like it should be pronounced Enya.

Clear as mud? Good!

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 1:11 pm

/continuing the interruption...

tinwe, we're not playing the Loch Norman games this year -- we tired of traveling to highland games a few years ago (not that we'd have to travel to that one!) and fell off the circuit. Our only performances coming up soon are private: a Hospice memorial service, weddings, etc. I'll let you know if something public comes up, OK?

The Charlotte main library has a copy of our CD, or you can order one through me for $15 (private message me and I'll give the address). Although we play a mix of lively tunes and slow airs in performance, this recording is mostly the slower sort, if that makes a difference.

I don't know Fiona well, but my husband did back when she was in Charlotte. She's terrific.

/interruption end

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 2:00 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Ooh, cool. I haven't had a chance to check back in here lately and look at all of these nice replies! :)

Di, I do know and have several of Maire Brennan's CD's. Very cool. I didn't realize Joanne Hogg was from Iona. (Duh!) Anyway, I picked up a Celtic Hymn CD in the clearance bin at the bookstore, and it's quite good. It has Maire, Joanne, and Margaret Becker all together singing.

I have not heard of Runrig and will add it to my list of groups to check out. (Oh dear, I see a big Visa bill in my future. :D )

Wampuscat (any way to shorten that?), consider me very impressed. :bow: Alandriel, I'm totally amateur in my playing venues. Church and home hardly count for much! ;)

So anyone know which Altan CD I should buy first?

Lally

[ img ]

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 2:58 pm

Lally, feel free to call me Wampus or Cat or Wamp or Hey you (preferably not pus). I accept most any moniker -- but like any self-respecting cat, might choose to not answer.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 2:40 am

Wampuscat wrote:
Lally, feel free to call me Wampus or Cat or Wamp or Hey you (preferably not pus). I accept most any moniker -- but like any self-respecting cat, might choose to not answer.
:D

BTW, I love cats. :love:

Lally

[ img ]

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 3:10 am

I love all six of my cats -- and any other one that crosses my path. :)

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 Mar , 2005 11:29 pm
wencherific

Celtic music? Let's see...I love Loreena McKennitt. :D Was just listening to The Mummers Dance, Skellig, and The Mystics Dream earlier today, in fact. I also like Enya, Eileen Ivers (former fiddle player for Riverdance) who I saw at the Celtic Fling they have on the Renaissance Faire grounds here, and one celtic group I stumbled across called Lothlorien. :)

[ img ]

"Morning has broken and I have felt a presence that disturbs
me with the joy of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime of
something far more deeply interfused, whose dwelling is the
light of setting suns, and the round ocean and the living air,
and the blue sky, and in the mind of man; a motion and a
spirit, that impels." -Wordsworth

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 3:24 pm

Well, with a name like Lothlorien, how could they go wrong? :) Do they have a website?

In the punk/ska thread, TED gave me a link to Flogging Molly (sort of a punk/Celtic fusion). Anyone else like them? I liked the song I could download and was just wondering if the rest of their stuff is pretty good. I would consider getting a CD if they come highly recommended. ??

Lali (still can't decide on the "i" or the "ly" ending :roll: )

[ img ]

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 4:34 pm

I dislike Flogging Molly, but my 15-year-old son adores the group. So consider this a mixed review.

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Apr , 2005 1:11 am
Waiting for winter

Lali (I like that better than Lally, btw :) )

I don’t know Flogging Molly myself, except for the songs TED linked to in the Punk thread, which I quite liked. My punk days are long behind me, but I do still like to indulge once in a while, and they sound like a group I would really enjoy.

If you like this type of music then I do have one I can definitely recommend to you, one that I mentioned earlier in this thread - The Waterboys. They started out as a punk influenced new-wave band in the early ‘80s, very similar to early U2, but took a detour later on to record two Irish influenced folk-rock albums - Fisherman’s Blues and Room To Roam. The second is almost entirely traditional Irish folk music, but Fisherman’s Blues is an interesting mix of Irish and rock. It is, without question, one of my all-time favorite records. It’s somewhat hard to find in stores these days, but I’m sure you can order it online. Here’s the Amazon link if you’re interested:

Fisherman’s Blues

And Wampuscat, I’m really looking forward to hearing your CD!!!

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 60 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Jump to: