Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 51 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 26 Apr , 2006 8:55 pm
of Vinyamar

MaidenOfTheShieldarm wrote:
Which recording would you recommend?
Without question the 1988 London Cast recording.

Awesome.

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 28 Apr , 2006 5:38 am
Another bright red day

Thanks! I'll definitely look into getting that. :)

This guy is my hero.

Not strictly a musical, but this seemed like the best place to share it. I wish I had the guts to do something like that.

Last edited by MaidenOfTheShieldarm on Fri 28 Apr , 2006 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 28 Apr , 2006 5:40 am
Insolent Pup

Fix your URL.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 28 Apr , 2006 5:46 am
Another bright red day

Thanks. I knew I had forgotten something. :oops:

But while you're here, to osgiliate briefly, I checked out a bunch of Pinter's plays from the library today. Any reccomendations on what to start with?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 28 Apr , 2006 5:58 am
Insolent Pup

Dumbwaiter.

The Birthday Party is good, but longer. Dumbwaiter is a good short play by Pinter. If you don't like Pinter, you won't have to trudge through a multi-act play of his. Dumbwaiter is the first one I read entirely by chance. It was in an anthology of 20th century English Lit that my dad's wife had, and I was bored. That started my love affair with Pinter plays.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
eärendil
Post subject: Re: Musicals Discussion Thread
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 4:35 pm
citoyenne du monde

Well once again I am the one to revive this thread but there are two reasons for it.

1) Last year as a Xmas present, I got to see Wicked and The Lion King. Both were amazing, although I did think it was a shame that the sound for Wicked was crap. It did take off the performance but I was already sold to the show anyway :roll:
As for TLK... well I knew the Disney movie obviously but I was blown away by the performance and the show. I cried several times and I enjoyed every minute of it :D :D :D.

2) I was wondering if any of you knew of The Secret Garden musical. It is a book first, has been made into a movie and apparently so in a musical. I am currently working with my singing teacher on the "How could I ever know" song, a duet between Archie and his dead mother.

3) Has any of you seen Billy Elliot. It is coming on to Broadway this November (probably started a couple of weeks back btw) and I was wondering if it was worth going to NYC to see...

Thanks for your help ;)

I Endure in order to Reflect
Transcending Order
I seal the Matrix of Endlessness
With the Cosmic tone of Presence
I am guided by the power of Spirit

Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but
Because I knew you,
I have been changed for good

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Sat 29 Nov , 2008 2:54 pm
of Vinyamar

I haven't seen The Secret Garden, but I have seen Billy Elliot. Its wonderful, but very English. I'm not sure how well it will play in NYC. The Miners Strike and Maggie Thatcher are part of the fabric of British life. Even in Ireland we watched it play out to the painful end. I'm not sure if that will translate to an American audience.

Watch the movie. If you "get" it, the Show is superb. Personally, I find the show even more moving than the film. Don't be fooled by the "Elton John as composer". Its a full musical score, not a selection of pop songs.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
eärendil
Posted: Sat 29 Nov , 2008 6:45 pm
citoyenne du monde

Thanks Alatar,
I've seen Billy Elliot the movie and loved it. Also I don't really consider myself an American audience being French first and Irish at heart :lol: :lol: ;)...

The only thing I am a little worried about is that indeed it does not speak to US audience the way it will for UK and Ireland audience, even the way it might to European people in general (because the Iron Woman and the strikes also were part of our history, and we faced the same kind of issues in the North of France) and that it will not make it till the New Year...

I will follow-up on that and thanks again for your advice :D

Transcending Order

Because I knew you,

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Sun 30 Nov , 2008 12:50 am
A song outlasts a dynasty.

I haven't seen Billy Elliot myself, but my mum and Aunt saw it about a year ago and loved it, and I trust their judgement on it...

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
eärendil
Posted: Mon 01 Dec , 2008 4:28 pm
citoyenne du monde

This is just to post this. Nothing serious but funny. Maybe you've already seen that youtube video. My bf sent the link to me yesterday and it made me laugh ;)
Watch out, starts with a bang
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkYZ6rbPU2M" target="_blank" target="_blank

I guess you can make a musical out of anything : :D :roll: :whistle:

Transcending Order

Because I knew you,

Profile Quote
eärendil
Posted: Sun 14 Dec , 2008 4:34 pm
citoyenne du monde

Well, a double-post of some sort but you know it has to be done :D.

We have had in Toronto the Sound of Music musical (as shown in London for the past few years ;)) for a couple of months. I wasn't too sure I wanted to go and see it for several reasons
- Maria Rainer has always been Julie Andrews for me and I was not sure I would appreciate the new one being biased you know :P
- the role was cast in an TV show comparable to Pop Idol and again I wasn't too sure... I tend to doubt the "common people" judgment when it comes to voices (although I know they did the same with Oliver earlier this year for the leading female role and the winner had an amazing voice)...

But after a difficult week for me, Tuesday when I got back from my singing lesson, my bf invited me for lunch and gave me an envelope. We were going to that very night show in the first balcony slightly to the right...
Amazing seats, the Royal Alexander Theatre is fantastic a hall and the show was awesome.
Really; amazing voices for all the characters (was moved to tears by the Mother Abbess she was brilliant), fantastic moving from film to stage (well technically it was first a musical then a movie but to me since I first saw the movie :P). And I guess that the most amazing was the way they modernized the all thing... Baroness Schreider's role is more of supporting one, not just apparitions... so is that of Von Trapp's friend ;)... And the thing they did with the decors be it the house, the gardens or the final show was great although it did feel weird to be surrounded by red Swaziskas on the walls of the theatre... Really amazing.

I was at my singing teacher's show last Sunday and some people there said Sound of Music was cheesy and lame compared to the movie but I don't agree although I was biased against the show. And Mr Eari who isn't that fond of musicals really enjoyed the show too so that has to mean something. He found it better than the Lion King (which he loved and even researched on the net for info on costume design, casting...)

An amazing night for me that Tuesday

Transcending Order

Because I knew you,

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 51 posts ]