The Last Homely Site on the Web

Admin code of conduct - discussion

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
*Alandriel*
Post subject: Admin code of conduct - discussion
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 7:01 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Please edit in here as you see fit

In the past week I've had a couple of 'cases of misunderstood communication'. The issues have been solved swiftly and to the satisfaction of all that have been involved but it got me thinking… about 'recommendations of conduct' especially for Admins.

As you well know, effective communication is vital to further understanding and cooperation, especially in a 'group-work' environment.

Once the constitution panel has finished their work we'll also be 'producing' an administrative handbook. In there should not only go the rights & duties of an Admin but also a recommendation on HOW and Admin should perform a task.

Now I'm very aware of the fact that people are individuals and as such have their own way 'of ticking' and that needs to be respected, especial amongst the fellow Admins. Not every Admin knows his fellows well. For some it will be the first time they come together in a fairly close-knitted contact which is on top of that also 'work' related. Not only is it important to be able to agree on the basic 'code-of-conduct' amongst Admins, I think it's also very important to know how each one 'ticks' in order to make the Admin job an enjoyable and efficient one.

So, what I propose/suggest is the following: for us to come up with a more general recommendation for a 'code of conduct' amongst admins (expanding upon the existing one for members which would be recommended for consideration to the constitution panel at the right time) and, additionally, to make a thread where the more 'personal' information each Admin is willing to give for view amongst the Admins only.

I think this would help greatly. And so I'll start off first with 'how Alandriel ticks' [removed, since she's no longer admin] and then will add some thoughts as to the 'general code of conduct for Admins' (for lack of a better term at the moment). Please add your thoughts.

How each of us tick

Alassante_Estel

Berhael

Griffon64

Leoba
Here goes then. ;) For those who are truly curious to figure out how I tick, I'm an ISFJ type and this link may be of use. :P The summary: Quiet, kind, and conscientious. Can be depended on to follow through. Usually puts the needs of others above their own needs. Stable and practical, they value security and traditions. Well-developed sense of space and function. Rich inner world of observations about people. Extremely perceptive of other's feelings. Interested in serving others. What can I add to that? I don't respond well to criticism and have a tendency to fling up barriers and retreat into my Cancerian shell if I perceive myself or my values as being under threat and can lash out harshly if I'm pushed enough. You'll be relieved to know that it takes a lot to push me to anger. Possibly because I also loathe conflict. On the plus side... when I can see the value of what I'm doing I'm intensly committed to it and take responsibility very seriously. I'm good with details as opposed to 'blue skies thinking', and day to day organisational stuff, and always work towards harmony as best I can. Oh and please don't edit my personal posts for content, unless you want to see: :rage: Formal announcements / statistical info are a different kettle of fish and I have no issue with those being tweaked according to need and policy change.

Admins code
My suggestions of points that will need to be worked in. During the limited period of being an Admin should

- prioritise functioning as an Admin. You can still of course post as a normal poster yet your priority should lie in keeping the board running smoothly, attending to requests, help working on any pending agenda's and generally strive to make Board 77 a better place for all members

- communicatie freely and consistently with the other Admins and keep each another updated. As much as possible this should be done in a transparent manner in the Admin forum which is read access to all members.

- assign priority to answering PM's. Deal with those promptly and efficiently as possible. If you need feedback from other admins in order to reply to the sender, inform the sender immediately and get back to the sender once you have all the information you need. If for any reason you personally cannot take care of it inform the sender, delegate and let the person who takes over from you get back in touch with the sender.

- never hide being online at board 77. Having volunteered as an admin you have agreed to be available. Members NEED to be able to see which Admin is online. If for any reason you may need your online status (e.g. health-reasons but you still want to post on the board) then put a notice into the Admin forum. A thread of who is not available when during their time as Admin (and possibly why) will need to be created

- if you're away for more than 3days/72hours from board 77 during your admin term put a notice into the 'absences' threads and if necessary delegate any pending tasks

- act as a model poster in accordance with all the rules laid out for board 77

- when posting references to other existing threads, to insert them as clickeable links naming the full thread-title to help make the posting/reading experience of all on board 77 an easy and pleasurable one.

- when editing/adding to any post to make a note of that fact in that post stating your name & date

Last edited by *Alandriel* on Sat 19 Mar , 2005 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2005 9:55 pm
Milk and kisses

Alandriel, I'm reading your list of what an ideal admin should do and seeing how I fail miserably. :oops: I'll pull my weight... I've just been doing bits and bobs and not focusing. Right. To work!

*heads over to the Business forum*

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Mar , 2005 7:19 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

awh Berhael :hug: These be tough times. What I've put up here is for discusson first amongst the admins at this point intime (to later also discuss with the Constitutional Panel) and is certainly NOT written in stone.
Thing is... yes, we need to focus, dispite the hard times. Actually precicely because of them. You've always been a fantastic Admin, only you got caught up (once more) in the 'storm' - like so many others. It should ease up though, I sincerely hope so for the sake of the members here and for the sake of B77 as a whole.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 Mar , 2005 10:41 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Could I please ask all the current Admins to put their 'how xx ticks' information in here rather sooner than later :halo:

or... perhaps it's better to have a seperate thread for that than mixing it in with the code of conduct under discussion?

What say you?

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Mar , 2005 1:08 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

I've edited myself in, and edited Alandriel out.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest”
Jump to: