board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Multiple ID's on Board 77

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 34 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Shall we allow multiple ID's on Board 77?
Yes – for all (unlimited)

0% [ 0 ]
Yes – for all (limited to e.g. 3)

5% [ 1 ]
Yes – for all unlimited but with disclosure

16% [ 3 ]
Yes – for all limited but with disclosure

26% [ 5 ]
Yes - but only for RPers, limited, with disclosure

16% [ 3 ]
Yes - but only for RPers, unlimited, with disclosure

11% [ 2 ]
No - on principle

26% [ 5 ]
Total votes: 19
*Alandriel*
Post subject: Multiple ID's on Board 77
Posted: Thu 02 Dec , 2004 10:54 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

[edit/addtion] 15Jan05

As it stands today multiple IDs are allowed for RP purposes only and must be 'claimed' in the Alternate character registry in the writing forum There & Back again
  • Note: for each registered ID you'll need a seperate email addy. It's not possible here to register twice with the same email addy.

The Admin will approve the ID (after having checked the claims thread) and will give access to the RP forum only for that ID.

Through my decision of moving the Seekers RP onto Board77 (which was pretty much approved by all writers involved) the question of multiple IDs has come up. Now I feel this is an issue that needs to be addressed by all here.

Do we allow multiple ID's?
    Some of us here are RPers as you know and some will prefer to write under the characters name. Why that is – well, each writer has their own view on this but of course it brings up a number of issues:

1) Do we allow multiple IDs for everybody? If so, then where do we draw the line? Issues of trust have come up on these boards when it concerns 'secret' IDs of Mods over at TORC. I'm sure some of you feel that applies to multiple IDs in general.

2) Would it be possible to have a thread where all alter ego's are listed for everyone to access and view? And maybe restrict it to say maximum 3 per person? I don't know the exact number of limit here but I think 3 would be fairly reasonable considering how much writing each one of us does. Since the boards are private, each ID registered does have to be approved – so there is a level of control regarding name registrations. It can be denied or approved.

For those that are not RPers, what's the use of multiple IDs? Not much on these boards – at least that's my view. You are who you are. There is no need to 'hide' anything; not for a prank nor anything. I think we all 'know' each another etc. etc. But the question is would you non-RPers give us RPers the vote to have multiple IDs (again – for RP purposes)?

A bunch of questions and I'd like to see everybody give their opinion and vote after consideration. Thanks :)

PS: in the poll I would have liked to include a 'No – but maybe later' but I can't do that for we're going to move 'Seekers' in here pretty soon so there is no really putting it off in the long term :wink:

edit: on second thought - I think I make this a sticky :wink: kinda important stuff :)

Last edited by *Alandriel* on Sat 15 Jan , 2005 10:35 am, edited 5 times in total.

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 02 Dec , 2004 11:16 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Thanks for doing this Alandriel.

Please can we have an option for 'no'?

I like the fact that here we know who everyone is; I am sick of hiding and deceit, in RP threads and elsewhere. Maybe I'm just jaded, but every board I've ever been on I've seen people hurt through multi-ID pranks. I know that this would be controlled, would be listed etc. But I would rather not have it at all.

If we allow multi-IDs for RPers, how can we acceptably discriminate against people who don't RP? What if those IDs are used outside of an 'in character' thread or outside of the RP forum? Is that acceptable?

I know that multiple IDs do have a use in RP, particularly where someone is writing from more than one character viewpoint in the same thread. However, there is no actual need for people to post RP under a different ID for each character. If they are a strong writer, it's darned obvious which character they're writing. And if there's a desire to spell it out, there's always the option of putting the character name in bold at the top of the post.

If I have no choice, and I have to pick a 'yes', it would be number 5, which seems the most limited to me (even though it contradicts my whole 'equality' rant above). But if I wasn't an RPer I'd quite probably be pissed off not to have the option.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 02 Dec , 2004 11:19 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Ack! Sorry Leoba. I did have an option there for no but because the amount of poll question is limited it did not take. Thanks for pointing that out to me.
Will change global settings asap.
:)

Profile Quote
Aglanor
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 02 Dec , 2004 11:24 am
Morituri Nolumus Mori

I don't mind multiple ID's as long as there's disclosure. also with limited amounts. I don't see the use for discussions and The Turf, since it would just confuse things, so I don't think many non-RP'ers would use the ability to have multiple ID's.

"The moon reflects in her eyes,
And tears fall down like stars.
Her gentle kiss goodnight;
Her dagger stuck in my heart.
My love broken and betrayed
And my eyes are closed tight,
As death now does us part."

A Rune engraved on my heart...

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 02 Dec , 2004 12:29 pm
Tricksy Elf!

At the moment I think 'No', but there is an option for change on this in the future, when we are more settled here.

I think its easy enough to bold the name of the RP character at the top of the post to make people aware of whose perspective an RP post is.

I also think the confusement that it can cause will not help B77 as a community, to easy to abuse. I will miss Puff_Dragondog though :oops:

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 02 Dec , 2004 12:33 pm
I can't count but I'm cute

For now my vote goes out to limited ID's.

I only use multiple Ids for RP anyway so I’d say “ use ID’s other then your regular for RP’s only.”

If people feel threatened by the secrecy we can make a list of existing ID's if necessary. I have nothing to hide. I’d only like to continue using my ID’s because it would feel so weird having to post with another character without it’s ‘clothes’ on. Would be like an actor without costume.

Of course i do mean don’t go making up ID’s for plain fun and randomness as purpose alone. A little discretion should be in place. Not too many per person(not like 20 lol )

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 02 Dec , 2004 1:03 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

That's the varied input from the RP 'crowd' so far. Thanks guys :D

I think I'm taking the freedom but with trust approach here. My vote goes for limited but disclosed (in a seperate thread) approach. Now I'm not exactly planning to be RPing myself with several IDs - I just like the 'relative' freedom it grants to those that wish to do so.

Sitting back to hopefully hear lots more views - especially also from NON-RPers :D

Profile Quote
Farawen
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 02 Dec , 2004 3:50 pm
Far out

Unlimited with full disclosure.

If we allow multiple IDs on this board, then we shouldn't limit this to RPers IMO. True, non-RPers don't really "need" multiple IDs the way RPers do (or think that they do :mrgreen: ;) :twisted:) but what's the harm?

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Dec , 2004 8:35 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

So Farawen, is your vote for 'unlimited for all' based on the issue of fairness (i.e. if RPers can have it, we all should). Or is it that you generally think there is a place for multiple IDs here on B77? :mrgreen:

Also Alandriel, I can't remember if I asked yesterday or you said anywhere - is it possible for extra IDs to be limited in access - i.e. only kept to one forum with the request that they are only used in character.

Whatever the result BTW, I think I'll steer clear - I think Maelgwn would appear most dashing in a skirt? :twisted:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Dec , 2004 8:55 am
Per aspera ad astra

I can't see myself writing another character under my main ID - and that resumes it for me.

So, I will vote the most open option of all - unlimited numbers, but disclosure. I don't mind to make it know I write, but I need the right name in front of my post to have the right feeling.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Dec , 2004 10:46 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Leoba wrote:

Also Alandriel, I can't remember if I asked yesterday or you said anywhere - is it possible for extra IDs to be limited in access - i.e. only kept to one forum with the request that they are only used in character.
Hey :mrgreen: That's a very good point. I didn't even think of that.
Yes!!!
It is possible to adjust the settings such that alternate ID's can only access specific fora/forums; e.g. the RP forum :mrgreen:

So maybe that would make those that are hesitant a bit more easy about it.

As for Maelwn in a skirt :Q somehow I don't think I could not easily get used to that :wink:

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Dec , 2004 10:53 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Alandriel wrote:
As for Maelgwn in a skirt :Q somehow I don't think I could not easily get used to that :wink:
:Q Please tell me that double-negative was accidental.:Q

Although to be fair, he does wear a tunic, which'd be longer by far than many of the skirts you see on girls out for a night on the town.

Sorry... I disgress..... :oops:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Dec , 2004 11:37 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

My spelling and command of the English language is atrocious. I did not even spell his name right :oops: :oops: let alone the double negative :Q

Box of chocolates?? :halo:

Tunic - no matter how long - is still not the same as a skirt :wink:

But back on topic :wink:
Since access of multiple ID's could be restricted would that mean you'd be more favorable towards allowing multiple IDs?

And what about Din?
Yeah - I know... slave-driver :roll: :mrgreen:

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Dec , 2004 11:40 am
Per aspera ad astra

I suggested that in mail too yesterday to restrict multiple ID to the future RP forum... I'm sorry that I need them so much, I just can't see myself doing it without them :(

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Dec , 2004 1:11 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Din here :mrgreen:

Just as a thing to think on, if we do have multiple id's, which if we restrict it to the RP forum and we know who they are, does that mean that people would expect that if multiple id's have been used before they will again.

I am being selfish here and thinking of Seekers and the hassel of moving the posts.

And if we do have multi id's there I would be tempted to put up a sticky listing the posters who write the id's. This would be the same thread we we use as character archives. Anybody mind?

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Dec , 2004 2:33 pm
I can't count but I'm cute

Dindraug wrote:
And if we do have multi id's there I would be tempted to put up a sticky listing the posters who write the id's. This would be the same thread we we use as character archives. Anybody mind?
that's what i was suggesting we do ;)

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Dec , 2004 6:50 pm
Garrulous Griffon

I hate multiple ID's. I can understand they may be needed for RPing but they are just plain deceitful otherwise :)

Having said that, I have more than one ID on TORC but I hardly use any of them. I have 2 I've made for RP's and wanted to take before anyone else thinks of them, plus one that I registered and may use for joking around, but it is so obviously me, and I'll admit to it too :D

My other TORC ID's:

Darquan
Laric
Commodore64

I think I posted 5 times with Darquan ( logged him in to change his settings and forgot to bloody log back out of the MESSAGEBOARD again ), once with Laric ( same thing ) and never with Commodore64.

So, I voted that limited for RP'ers thingy :)

moment's hurt may harm or scar
but not inert nor beaten are
those who look and see afar
the healing hand of morning's star.

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Dec , 2004 10:52 pm
Sharpe-sighted

I don't care. Though I like to post RP-posts for male characters under Ragnors identity - makes it easier for me to think male :P .

Multiple IDs with restricted access to the RP-Forum sounds very good to me.

What about a small announcement in the sig of the multiples?
Such as some people use on TORC:
"This is Areanor writing" - or something like that?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Kaya
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Dec , 2004 11:01 am

I already voted (allowed for RPers, limited, with disclosure). For me, the screen name, the title, the sig, it has always been a part of the character... like a passport maybe?

As for using multiple id's in other forums than the RP forum, I personaaly don't see the reason. It'll only cause confusion and chaos imo. So if you can limit the use of multiple id's to only the RP forum, that would be nice I think.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Be like a duck, my mother used to tell me. Remain calm on the surface and paddle like hell underneath.

Profile Quote
Farawen
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Dec , 2004 3:40 pm
Far out

Leoba wrote:
So Farawen, is your vote for 'unlimited for all' based on the issue of fairness (i.e. if RPers can have it, we all should). Or is it that you generally think there is a place for multiple IDs here on B77? :mrgreen:
Egalité! SOLIDARITY!

Um, no. Actually, after much consideration, balancing reasons, and meditating over it, I don't care. :D

If I want to have multiple IDs I can always become a RPer, right?

:wink:

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 34 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: