Total votes: 21
Jnyusa
Post subject: Third Article, First Paragraph: Voting Closed
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 7:22 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Article 3: Administrators
¶1: Number of Administrators and Terms of Office

Option 1

We have five to seven administrators, depending on the needs of the board at the time.They serve three-month terms and are selected from among the members who are eligible and have volunteered. There are also up to two administrators in training who are practicing on the experimental board and may exercise on the main board the routine powers of an admin as defined below. Admins have the power to edit or delete posts or ban posters for certain offenses and propose banning for other kinds of offenses defined below. In all other kinds of disputes they will intervene only at the request of members affected by the dispute.

Option 2

We have five to seven administrators, depending on the needs of the board at the time. They serve three-month terms and are selected from among the members who are eligible, have volunteered, and have been confirmed as acceptable by a vote of the membership. There are also up to two administrators in training who are practicing on the experimental board and may exercise on the main board the routine powers of an admin as defined below. Admins have the power to edit or delete posts or ban posters for certain offenses and propose banning for other kinds of offenses defined below. In all other kinds of disputes they will intervene only at the request of members affected by the dispute.

The sentence which differs between these two options is shown in blue. Please note that the method of voting does not have to be specified in this paragraph. You are only expressing now your agreement or disagreement with the rest of the wording and your agreement or disagreement with the idea that some voting process should take place.

Last edited by Jnyusa on Sun 19 Jun , 2005 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 7:33 pm
Living in hope

I voted for option 2 (I plan to support batch approvals). I think there needs to be some way to protect against adminning a person who wants to be an admin but ought not to be--for example, because of vendettas against others on the board, or extreme immature behavior.

Last edited by Primula_Baggins on Tue 22 Mar , 2005 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 7:46 pm

ditto

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 8:02 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Absolutley!

I see no option but two. At least we would know who watches the watchmen.

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
gimli_axe_wielder
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 8:04 pm
The easily amuse-OH SHINY!

I want to be a dictator so i can ban Din... so... option 1 for me..

: :damnfunny

Things and stuff.

Profile Quote
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 8:21 pm

Personally, I’m indifferent either way. Can that be taken as a vote or do I have to close my eyes and pick one?

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 8:24 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Lord M. - the discussion as to whether or not there should be some kind of vote on admins going into the pool is taking place in the Admin Powers thread .... sort of smeared over the last 4 pages or so, with other topics popping up in between.

I don't know how much of that discussion you've read, but it's probably a good idea to be familiar with the arguments and not just pick an option at random. Looks like this vote is going to be fairly close.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 8:37 pm
of Vinyamar

I voted Option 2.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 9:00 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

Voted #2

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 9:10 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Voted Option 2

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Ethel
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 9:14 pm
The Pirate's Daughter

I voted option 2 and will also support batch approval. This could be painful for someone who gets objected to, I guess... but I also think the very fact that it's part of the process would prevent people who know themselves to be very controversial from volunteering. And it's a safety valve for the community. Controversy is the last thing we want in an admin.

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 9:18 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Option 2.

It's an extra hoop to jump through, but I think we could use all the checks we can get.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Faramond
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 9:29 pm
Digger

Okay, I just voted. One more and we can make it official for number 2.

Profile Quote
gimli_axe_wielder
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 9:49 pm

technicaly, but we want everyone to vote so we know how strong it is, or if it is something we may run into a major debate on....

Things and stuff.

Profile Quote
Faramond
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 9:55 pm
Digger

Yes, I'm not suggesting the voting be closed, something I actually objected to in the other thread. But it would still be official as far as which option won.

Profile Quote
gimli_axe_wielder
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 10:01 pm

right right.. sorry :P

Things and stuff.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 10:12 pm
WYSIWYG

I'm still totally torn about this - I know that I brought the idea to have a vote back in in the first place - I think it's reasonable to have one - so in all likelihood I'm going to pick option 2, just need to sleep on it another night, I guess.

But I really don't understand how people could object to a normal election as hurtful to people's pride and not have the least problem with this kind of vote.

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Ethel
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 10:38 pm
The Pirate's Daughter

truehobbit wrote:
But I really don't understand how people could object to a normal election as hurtful to people's pride and not have the least problem with this kind of vote.
Well, I think it would be quite different, and let me explain why. I would not expect people who volunteered for admin duty to be found "unfit" during these yes/no votes, because I think people who thought that might happen would not be likely to volunteer. In other words, it's a safety valve. I would not expect any volunteer to be found unfit in the normal course of events - but it provides a way of stopping an unfit person from becoming an admin should that ever be necessary. Again - very unlikely in my opinion.

Once approved, everyone who volunteered to serve would have a reasonable expectation that they would actually do so at some point. This is the main reason I prefer the "jury pool" rather than the "popularity contest" approach.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 11:44 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I voted for option two as well since it gets rid of the popularity contest aspect and also prevents members who are unsuitable for admin duty from becoming admin.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 12:30 am
WYSIWYG

Ethel wrote:

Well, I think it would be quite different, and let me explain why. I would not expect people who volunteered for admin duty to be found "unfit" during these yes/no votes, because I think people who thought that might happen would not be likely to volunteer. In other words, it's a safety valve. I would not expect any volunteer to be found unfit in the normal course of events - but it provides a way of stopping an unfit person from becoming an admin should that ever be necessary. Again - very unlikely in my opinion.
Hmmh, good points - thanks for explaining, Ethel. :)

Actually, I'm not that optimistic about it never happening - but voting technique is to be discussed anyway, I think, and I agree some kind of precaution is necessary - heck, only yesterday I insisted on it - I guess, if we find a problem with this procedure later, it could still be changed, so I'm voting option 2 as well. :)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: