board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Should we temporarily restart the invite process?

Post Reply   Page 5 of 6  [ 116 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Should the invite process be restarted now?
Yes, we should allow invitation threads to be posted (a limited number per day)

49% [ 23 ]
No, we should remain closed to new invitations until the constitution is finished and ratified.

51% [ 24 ]
Total votes: 47
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Apr , 2005 4:25 am
Insolent Pup

I voted and got to break the current tie! I don't think 2 months away is too great a time to wait.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Apr , 2005 11:42 am
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Two months isn't guarenteed. And you're not missing anybody like I am if you think two months isn't a long time.

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Apr , 2005 5:52 pm
Insolent Pup

You can't post on TORC as well?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Apr , 2005 8:12 pm

I can... but it gets more painful each time. I almost wish I had been banned, then I wouldn't go back to see people trying to pick up the pieces without thinking about the root of the problems. It's a ghost town. I hate it, and one of the people I'm missing have told me that she finds herself drifting away with nowhere to post. I go to TORC looking for my non-b77 friends, but they're not there either.

I'm sorry about my last post, I should know enough not to post angry by now. :(

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Apr , 2005 8:19 pm
Insolent Pup

Why are you apologizing? You didn't offend me. :D

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Apr , 2005 9:26 pm

Oh good. :) I was feeling a bit snappish earlier and I thought it might have come across in my post. :oops:

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 1:22 am
WYSIWYG

I don't think I'll vote on this, because I don't care either way - there's no one I need to get in here, so for me it's only a question of what's better for the constitution process (and it doesn't seem clear whether letting new people in is a problem or not).
Berhael wrote:
So I'd suggest this: opening up Invites only to the people who express an interest in us, by registering straight away or emailing us.
I'm against this, I'm afraid. I think it's supporting impertinence. Those who have the nerve to crash the party get in sooner than those who are reluctant to just invite themselves. I think that's not fair.
Quote:
Perhaps we should also let new people know very clearly about the Constitutional Convention going on, and how fluid the rules are right now... just a suggestion.
That's what I thought, too - if we let people in, explain to them we are talking about a governance system and they are entering in the middle, so they won't get to vote on it.
But it does seem a little complicated, so maybe just waiting is easier.
I really don't think it's breaking anybody's neck not to be a member here.
If someone misses friends who they could easily talk to on TORC, and they aren't prevented from this by being banned there - well, ask yourself if the friend is more important or the place where you could find them.

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
oldtoby
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 1:50 am
Cuddly Studmuffin

Hey Pips, pop into the emporium some time, we'd love to have you there. :D

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 8:05 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

I don't have the time to read through this whole thread and I can't find a list of the current admins so I'll just say this out in the open - if we're still inviting people, can someone reopen the thread for vynaca of mirkwood? I'd love to have her here and said I would start her thread up as soon as April 1st hit. Unfortunately, I myself was hit by a few things around that time and wasn't able to do anything. If she's waiting until the 12th or 13th to get in, she may be disappointed. I haven't been with the program for a while, so I'll leave this up to you who are better informed. If vy can get in here, please do what is necessary to make that happen!

Thank you.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 8:12 am
Living in hope

*E*, we aren't inviting anyone at the moment.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 10:23 am
Milk and kisses

truehobbit wrote:
Berhael wrote:
So I'd suggest this: opening up Invites only to the people who express an interest in us, by registering straight away or emailing us.
I'm against this, I'm afraid. I think it's supporting impertinence. Those who have the nerve to crash the party get in sooner than those who are reluctant to just invite themselves. I think that's not fair.
Hobby, I'm afraid that by speaking up against "impertinence", you are risking sounding impertinent yourself. :P:D People who register out of the blue aren't necessarily impertinent, as you say; they may be simply curious. Bear in mind that someone who isn't a member here already and don't have a friend who has told them the rules probably have no idea that they need to get invited or sponsored. Why would they? They aren't assuming that they have a right to crash the party. In most internet fora, you simply do that and register. Either that, or they have clear rules on their front page. We don't. So, don't assume that people registering out of the blue have a "nerve" and those who are reluctant to invite themselves are polite and retiring. They've probably never heard of us or simply aren't interested. Board77 is not the centre of the internet universe and there aren't swarms of eager immigrants knocking at our door, just a few curious people who've heard of us and want to know what the fuss is all about.

My suggestion was to discuss those people and subject them to a vote, like we've done previously, not to admit them in straight away.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 12:30 pm

...Which wouldn't be fair on the people who haven't registered, IMO. I've been writing to people and trying to keep them informed, and they know about the Invite process, which is why they haven't signed up.

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 1:06 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Just popping by to say that I voted 'no' and that I agree with Jnyusa's arguments.

We need to have some stucture in place before we open.

I hate invites. I honestly don't want to have to vote in another one of those threads again and I want to work towards not needing to as soon as possible.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 2:19 pm
WYSIWYG

Sorry, Ber, it wasn't meant to be impertinent (and of course I know you didn't mean to just let them in, but put up an invite-thread).
It's what pips said:
Quote:
...Which wouldn't be fair on the people who haven't registered, IMO. I've been writing to people and trying to keep them informed, and they know about the Invite process, which is why they haven't signed up.
Some people are just naturally bold, they hear of this board somehow and go looking for it on google - you're right, it certainly isn't the centre of the internet, in order to find it at all, you need a certain energy to begin with.

It's not very likely that someone finds this board by accident, looks at the memberlist, which is all they can see, thinks 'cool, I want to be a member here' and registers, because that's the normal procedure on other boards.

So, this normal way of getting on a messageboard doesn't apply here at the moment, IMO. The normal way to get here would be through hearing of it from someone, in which case the normal procedure would be what pips described, and therefore, for my idea of fairness, the people who should get preference, if anyone gets preference at all, are the ones who have the patience to wait for the regular process to ask them in.

I'm sorry I can't explain that any better. I just think that if we let more people in right now it's not fair to prefer those who are just bolder than others.

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 2:27 pm

I've changed my mind. I think we should just let everyone in. Now. Open the flood-gates. Maybe that will light a fire under the committee's collective butt and get us moving. As it stands right now, we'll be lucky to have a finished and approved document by the end of the year.

Voronwe_the_ :rage:

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 2:34 pm
Milk and kisses

Point taken, hobby. :)

Voronwe - I wish. :D

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 2:51 pm
WYSIWYG

Ber - :hug:

True, the discussion has slowed down a bit - what's to be done? People don't seem to be around so much anymore. (Ok, I've not been around myself so much. :oops: )
Any ideas on how to speed it up, Voronwe?

We did say people would have to invest about two hours a day for the constitutional discussion - at the moment it's more like half an hour or less.

I also didn't expect that there'd be so much detail to discuss, though. Not that I'm complaining, I've just never done anything like it, and I'm not well versed in organisational processes, so I was surprised by that.

From our key principles:

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 3:59 pm
of Vinyamar

I think we should allow invites as the Constitution will likely take some time to complete. If necessary I offer my services as a temp admin if required.

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 4:30 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I haven't followed the constitutional discussions closely but I think I have gathered that more work needs to be done after the board is open. Is that right?
What then is the minimum constitution needed for opening?
Is this being prioritised so it is finished first? Or are people trying to refine details so that things are perfect?
If this strategy is already in place then fine. If it isn't should it be considered?
We need fresh blood and as things stand it may be unfair on people who genuinely have been hoping to join. The temporary convenience of halting the Invites has stretched on rather long and the opening does not look imminent.
At the least a politely worded public message explaining our present quandary might avoid alienating hopefuls.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 6:07 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Tosh, yes I have prioritized the things that must be done in order to open the board. There were only two things really - how the whole admin process would be done, and how dispute resolution would be handled.

We also need then a ratification vote from the members, and we decided to allow ten days of discussion and ten days of vote to give a sufficient number of members time to consider and vote.

Having accomplished that, I thought we would leave it up to the membership what kind of time frame they want for re-opening invites or opening the board ... the other things that have to be decided - Mission statement and additional by-laws ... are what you might call "making things perfect." We probably will find ourselves caught short on some by-laws, but the crucial guidelines will be in place.

We are about halfway through the admin process ... and unfortunately these things do seem to require a lot of discussion. I would like for votes to take place within 24 hour periods but not everyone visits the board every day.

I will address the convention momentarily about the speed with which things are happening.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 6  [ 116 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: