board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Should we temporarily restart the invite process?

Post Reply   Page 4 of 6  [ 116 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Should the invite process be restarted now?
Yes, we should allow invitation threads to be posted (a limited number per day)

49% [ 23 ]
No, we should remain closed to new invitations until the constitution is finished and ratified.

51% [ 24 ]
Total votes: 47
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 4:34 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

The two people I'm particularly worried about haven't responded to my e-mails for a couple of weeks... Hotmail has been disabled at the place where they work. :P

I just find it sad, because I know people are feeling disillusioned. :(

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 4:39 pm
Living in hope

Pips, I totally sympathize. Losing touch with a friend is never a small matter. And I understand about feeling disillusioned. I certainly did--I never knew this place existed until the latter half of January, and before then I was watching people vanish and "drift away" with no idea I'd ever post with them again.

But I doubt there will be time before we open for anyone to give up and vanish entirely; and when this place opens the news will get out--even, I think, on TORC.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 7:11 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Voronwe wrote:
I've always been confused about exactly what effect these periodic votes actually have.
I've always felt that they're just a way to really guage how people feel about a certain issue...like when Ethel thought most people wanted the board to stay closed. It's just a way to see what people want and if we need to move in another direction. I don't see this poll as binding but just as a way to gather information.
holby wrote:
We have had a grand total of 31 vote in here so far. Slightly more than 20%.
I hope that sort of apathy disappears when it comes time to vote for the convention.
When it comes to voting for the constitution I'd hope that the admins would send out a mass email to be sure to get people's attention and prevent possible apathy.

As for when to open invites, I would think that the compromise of ratifying some of the constitution first (not all) would be good.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 7:27 pm

Prim and Eru, with all due respect (and :love:), and emphasizing that this is only my opinion and that not too much should be made of it, I have to say that my opinion is that these non-binding "advisory" polls do more to confuse the issues involved that to resolve them. I'm sure its just me that feels this way, but I would prefer to either have a vote that means something or to not have a vote at all, and just have a discussion on the subject, whatever it is.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 7:41 pm
Living in hope

Voronwe, in general I agree--there were definitely too many polls for a while there!--but I think they can be useful at times. For example, I'm pretty sure Ethel wasn't the only person surprised by the very strong support for opening the board that was revealed by one of these polls.

The reason I started this one is because it was more or less promised that the issue of invites would be revisited around April 1. This poll thread has provided a chance to discuss it and has also, so far, indicated that there is not broad support for reopening invitations. That is useful information, I think.

This is also a painfully important issue for some people. A discussion thread can feel inconclusive and may even give a distorted impression of the prevailing opinion. A vote count is hard to dispute.

And--need I say it?--we can't really have a vote that means anything. No rules yet, no constitution. . . . :blackeye

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 8:04 pm

Went on to TORC, found the two people to be alive and well, banged their heads together, and they've both promised e-mails tonight. :D

Feel slightly better. :P

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 8:08 pm
Living in hope

Yay, Pips! Well done. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 8:48 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

That's good news Pips - well done indeed :D

Voronwe: thing is - well what Prim said :D and I also think that some people who are not part of the constitutional pannel somehow feel a bit left out perhaps. Threads like this are nothing but a 'sounding' board amongst the larger membership and for that they serve their purpose. It's a means to talk, to discuss and to gauge amidst a larger audience. Nothing more.... nothing less. As long as people that partake in these poll threads know that, then I think there is little room for real confusion
:)

Profile Quote
Frelga
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 10:20 pm
A green apple painted red

Prim wrote:
Perhaps we could allow anyone to vote who was a member at the beginning of the board-wide discussion period leading up to the vote. Someone who came in halfway through the discussion couldn't reasonably expect to be allowed to vote.
Except that some of us can read, and are perfectly capable of catching up on the discussion. And ALL of us will be expected to abide by the rules.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 10:27 pm

My thoughts exactly Frelga. :) If you don't think newcomers to the board will take the time to read everything, what makes you so sure that anybody else will have?

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 10:46 pm
Living in hope

Pardon me, Frelga. :neutral: I've noticed that people on message boards can read.

I haven't noticed universal eagerness to read up on everything and participate, and some familiarity with the issues does seem important. Of course we can't enforce this on any member, new or old.

If there's strong feeling that someone who registers on the board on the last day of voting should be allowed to vote, then by all means, let's arrange it that way.

It's probably a moot point in any case.

Last edited by Primula_Baggins on Wed 06 Apr , 2005 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 10:47 pm

Well, I don't see how you'd prevent them, or why you'd want to. :)

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 10:52 pm
Living in hope

There's been some discussion of how that would be done in various threads. I'm not the only person with this idea by any means. I suspect some people who have voted no on reopening to invites did so for that reason.

But, as I said, it is probably not going to be an issue.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 11:18 pm
A green apple painted red

Prim, dearest, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. :hug: I respect you very much and I know you don't come by your opinions lightly. Peace?

I am somewhat ruffled myself right now and will wait to post until I am my own part-Vulcan self again.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 11:20 pm
Living in hope

No problem, Frelga, and there never was. :hug: Except me being grumpy.

I hope you un-ruffle in peace.

:hug: for Pips too.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 11:37 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Voronwe: I can see your point. :) I remember when we had too many polls or too many discussion threads. It was quite confusing. I don't want that to happen again either and that's why we should be careful when starting a thread with a poll.

But, when there's an important issue such as "should the board be open at some point" or this current issue, I think a poll can be valuable.

In this case it's showing that we're thoroughly divided! :help:

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 11:42 pm
Living in hope

Eru, on this kind of advisory poll, especially about something that would be temporary anyway, being divided just tells us it's best not to change anything right now.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TORN
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Apr , 2005 1:25 am
THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Primmy wrote:
Eru, on this kind of advisory poll, especially about something that would be temporary anyway, being divided just tells us it's best not to change anything right now.
EXCEPT, MY DEAR PRIMMY, THAT THE POLL DID NOT PROPERLY WEIGH THE VOTE OF THE GREAT AND POWERFUL TORN, AS I BELIEVE MY VOTE WAS ONLY ACCORDED EQUAL VALUE TO EACH OF THE OTHER POSTERS AT THIS SAD PATHETIC EXCUSE OF A MESSAGEBOARD. AS I VOTED NO, NO SHOULD BE SHOWN AS THE OVERWHELMING RESPONSE, IF MY AUGUST PRESENCE IS TO BE GIVEN ITS DUE WEIGHT.

OF COURSE, THAT'S THE RESULT YOU'RE ADVOCATING, IN ANY EVENT, SO I AGREE.

SIGNED,

THE RESIDENT MISERABLE POLTROO

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Apr , 2005 2:07 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

Oh Great and Powerful TORN,

How would we ever arrive at conclusions without you? :D

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Apr , 2005 2:22 am
Living in hope

I am suddenly reminded of the invite thread of someone (no one in particular, of course) in which I made an unfortunate but of course entirely understandable error--I voted yes to the person's "august presence" on this board, when what I thought I was approving was his "August presence". . . .

August, I was thinking, I can handle August, I'm in and out a lot in August. . . . :x

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 6  [ 116 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: