board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Ethel

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]
Berhael
Post subject: Ethel
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 1:41 pm
Milk and kisses

Following Ethel's requirements, I've deactivated her account and reset all her permissions to "off". I haven't dared deleting her, since I don't know if that would delete all her posts retroactively, but as of now, she can't access B77. As she said, she will join again when the board is open.

I feel like an executioner, first Imp, now Ethel...

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 7:39 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

On a similar subject...

I had an email in my personal account from Rholarowyn asking me to reset her permissions and delete her name. She gave me no reasons. I refused.

If she emails the main admin account and asks again I will not stand in anyone's way. However I still feel that it's outside my remit to control other people's willpower etc.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 10:05 am
Milk and kisses

Yes, she emailed Griff and me with her request.
I don't know what to do. I don't want to do it, but on the other hand I feel it's a member's right to protest as strongly as they can if they feel that strongly about something. And I suspect i don'tlike it not because I think it's unfair, but because it's an implicit criticism on me and my friends ("I don't like you so I want you to scratch me from your list of friends").

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 14 May , 2005 7:37 pm

In the Paths of the Dead thread in the Turf forum, I wrote the following:
Quote:
If Ethel asked me to restore her permissions, I would do it right away. She was never banned, never did anything to justify a ban, and should never have had her permissions turned off in the first place (IMO, meaning no disrespect to anyone). In fact, once Article 3 of the charter is ratified on Monday (a fait accompli at this point), and it becomes the "law of the land" that admins cannot:
Quote:
• Change the permissions of a poster at the poster's request, except for routine changes of permission in the Jury Room, Archives and Thinking of England Forum; nor can they ban members for any reason other than those listed below.
I would think that it would be our duty to turn Ethel's permissions back on. I was actually going to raise that very issue with my fellow admins next week.
Since the subject has now come up, I would like to know what all of your views are. At the time that Ber acted, there was no clear guidance as to what was appropriate in a situation where someone asks to have their permissions turned off. I think, now that the committee has established (and the membership is about ratify) that admins can not do this, I think we should undue it. Ethel is welcome to stay away from board77, as of course everyone is. But I think her permissions should be turned back on.

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 14 May , 2005 9:11 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Ethel told me on IM she would not mind if her permissions were turned back on.

I hope you're not angry that I asked - I was afraid if we acted against her original request, she might feel forced and never come back. She told me I could put her permissions back on right ahead if the other admins agree.

What say you?

Edit: I took Voronwe's comment for a yes, and after a short IM discussion with Hobby, decided to go ahead and re-activate her.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 14 May , 2005 9:23 pm
WYSIWYG

Good arguing, Voronwe.

As the new "law of the land" says the original banning shouldn't have been done, she should be restored, whether she wants it or not! :P

I suppose, at the time this started, and she got her will and was banned, I would have complied, too, thinking it was no big deal to push a button if that's what the member wished. I've only later come to think that this whole banning/unbanning at request is too ridiculous and petty to be complied with.

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 14 May , 2005 9:23 pm
Living in hope

I'm glad you did that, Nin, though I think Voronwe was right that we really would be obliged to do it in any case, under the charter.

I'm even more glad that Ethel doesn't mind. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 14 May , 2005 9:50 pm
Per aspera ad astra

My new techno Goddess, Hobby :love: has given me important help!

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 14 May , 2005 10:00 pm

I just learned today that wilko's were also turned off, yes? Or is it just the invite forum where he is off (as he should be). If he is off, he should be turned back on too, yes?

*goes to check his permissions*

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 14 May , 2005 11:39 pm
WYSIWYG

Hehe, that permission thingy is fascinating, isn't it? :D

wilko is not a member of the "all members" user group, but only of the "special permissions" group.
That group has all permissions turned off, so that only the individual permissions count, when they are turned on (because "on" always overrides "off", no matter where it is defined).
So, yes, wilko needs to have his individual permissions in place, with all "on" except Invites (don't know about ToE).

Edit: I just checked, and they were all "on", as they should be. Had they been off before? :scratch

Nin, techno Goddess? :D Thanks! I see a new rank for when the "currant admin" needs to go! ;)
But I wouldn't have known a thing, if Prim hadn't told me last week or so. :)
(LOL, and I consider myself justly punished after having caused so much trouble about Ethel's re-establishment. :blackeye )

Last edited by truehobbit on Sat 14 May , 2005 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 14 May , 2005 11:45 pm
Living in hope

"Special Permissions" is basically for anyone who needs custom permissions because they've been banned from one forum or have special privileges in one (as Jn does in the Jury Room—we will have to be sure those get transferred to her successor).

[ img ]

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 14 May , 2005 11:48 pm
WYSIWYG

[small voice]I was kinda thinking that would be you, Prim[/small voice]

From our key principles:

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 May , 2005 12:41 am

[another small voice]I had the same thought[/another small voice]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 May , 2005 1:07 am
Living in hope

<puts hands over ears>

La, la, la, la. . . . .