The Last Homely Site on the Web

Member-Owned Board?

Post Reply   Page 9 of 11  [ 219 posts ]
Jump to page « 17 8 9 10 11 »
Athrabeth
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 11:28 pm
Nameless

Voronwe, I'd say that was more than fair enough.

:hug: back to you.

And a great big

{{{{{sm000000ch}}}}} too! :love:

Last edited by Athrabeth on Fri 08 Apr , 2005 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]
"The pie that can be eaten is not the Eternal Pie."

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 11:30 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

Hey !!
Over here. I am the one trying to raise money ya know.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 11:31 pm
Living in hope

<tosses counterfeit five to Holby>

<sm00ches Voronwe>

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 11:33 pm

Thanks Holby. You've eased my mind. I certainly understand about b77 interfering with getting work done.

I'll send you the fiver next week. Really. Sure I will. :damnfunny

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 11:35 pm
Insolent Pup

Returns handshake, manly of course.

I think it's a fair agreement, though it is contingent on Lidless. Since he made the offer, my guess is that he would agree, but we don't know if anything has offended him or he is just MIA. I guess we'll find out when we find out.

I wouldn't say swearing is encouraged here, but, as V said, it isn't discouraged. That's fine and all, but people then need to remember that sometimes people do swear in the heat of an argument and take into consideration that, at times, civility will fall below the level we would like. Manwe topics have been prone to this, but the civility usually rises again.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Frelga
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 11:41 pm
A green apple painted red

Voronwe, I completely understand why you were upset by Guru's comment. It is not my impression, however, that the use of such language is encouraged here, at least not in a serious discussion. Poor Guru got jumped on by almost two dozen people, apologized many times, and has since posted quite snesibly. In a way, this was a great example of how well member-driven moderation works here.

Holby, I think the kissing booth would get better revenues if Voronwe mans it for a while. Not that I'm lining up with my fiver or anything. :whistle:

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 12:13 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Sorry VtF.

Holby is completely correct. I've had myself banned during weekdays so I can focus on work. Although now the task I had at hand is now over and I can continue to sp - I mean post, with impunity during the weekdays from now on.

And sorry again for any hurtful words regarding wilko's arbitration. I really was trying to show my opposition as one poster out of 180 rather than the future owner. As the phrase goes, you can please all of the posters some of the time, and some of the posters all of the time, but never all of the posters all of the time. Such is the dangers of making jury rulings. I know if I had been on it, no matter what I said I would have ended up incurring the displeasure of many. It is a brave task and I thank you for doing it.

But this is a side issue.

I am more than willing to take you up on your gracious offer re the non-profit entity and the work it would entail for you. As an international accountant I thought of an offshore trust. As a lawyer you thought of a non-profit onshore entity. Both get us to the same two end products - a member-owned board and reduced liability for an individual poster.

I've had enough of battling against this preconception that my voice bears any more weight than anyone else. I really, really have.

Now as to rights being linked to membership fees, I have to disagree with the concept. In a democracy, the unemployed man on social welfare has an equal say to that of the billionaire inside the polling booth. I cannot imagine B77 being any different. I wouldn't want B77 to be any different.

I do see the merits of membership fees being an efficient method for filtering trolls, but it would only limit growth of the site. Good people would immediately surf onto another site rather than spend time here and realize that a fee was worth it. I think the costs of having compulsory fees outweigh the benefits. I would hope that whatever rules and architecture we put in place would cater against most trolls anyway, so the benefit is even more minimal than one might think.

Discretionary membership fees naturally raises, as many have pointed out, the problem of potential underfunding.

I'll cover it. No problem. I might even be able to get a tax deduction for it.

Steve

Last edited by Lidless on Sat 09 Apr , 2005 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 12:19 am

Smooches Steve on both cheeks. He's European, after all, even if he is living in purgat... uh, I mean Florida. ;)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 12:22 am
Living in hope

You do know that's five bucks, right, Steve?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 12:37 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Actually, the only real reason I lived in Holland is that you kiss a person three times on the cheek. Left, right, left (or vica versa). I'm Dutch in all but nationality.

He owes me fifteen.

Last edited by Lidless on Sat 09 Apr , 2005 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 12:39 am
Living in hope

You tell him.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 12:40 am

Among the guests staying at my house this weekend was a couple from Belgium (whom I met in Guinea) and his 13 year old son, who when we got up in the morning kissed everyone three times (though I think he went right, left, right). What a difference from the thirteen year old American boys that I know!!!!!! :Q

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 12:43 am
Living in hope

My boys at 17 and 15 still kiss both their parents.

Subculture thing, maybe. My father kissed his father on the lips every time they met.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TORN
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 12:48 am
THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

TheCluelessMind wrote:
Now as to rights being linked to membership fees, I have to disagree with the concept. In a democracy, the unemployed man on social welfare has an equal say to that of the billionaire inside the polling booth. I cannot imagine B77 being any different. I wouldn't want B77 to be any different.

I do see the merits of membership fees being an efficient method for filtering trolls, but it would only limit growth of the site. Good people would immediately surf onto another site rather than spend time here and realize that a fee was worth it. I think the costs of having compulsory fees outweigh the benefits. I would hope that whatever rules and architecture we put in place would cater against most trolls anyway, so the benefit is even more minimal than one might think. [emphasis added]
Nice to see you, Clueless. I completely agree with you on all of the above, particularly the highlighted language.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 12:58 am
Insolent Pup

Quote:
I'll cover it. No problem. I might even be able to get a tax deduction for it.
Do what you can! Though, as evidenced in this thread, underfunding might not necessarily be a problem as many have expressed a willingness to happily donate some pennies.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 1:27 am
Triathlete

Lidless wrote:
I've had enough of battling against this preconception that my voice bears any more weight than anyone else. I really, really have.
Perhaps it has something to do with the 800 pound gorilla - er - orangutan - in your sig pic. :D

***demurs puckered lips and proffered cheeks***

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 1:36 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

As an international accountant I thought of an offshore trust. As a lawyer you thought of a non-profit onshore entity.

Let's just all remember that TORN works for the SEC or some equally terrifying entity and his great and powerful eyes are on all of us.

:) ... or is it :x

Hi, Lidless. Glad you're back. Would you please kick Estel's butt over to the voting booth? Thank you.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 2:08 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

I'm sorry to answer myself here, but I actually had something more serious to add to part of the earlier discussion.

The convention recently had to decide on member eligibility for becoming an admin, and we discussed at length these criteria of join date and post count. What we decided on still has to be ratified by the members, so it is not yet a rule, but the things we took into consideration are relevant here as well, imo.

We also came up against this problem that no objective count really measures commitment. A person might be a member for six months and make a small number of really astounding, contributory posts, or they might spam all over the place in the first two weeks and get a high post count of no value. We decided, finally, not to quantify eligibility too much. Here is the language we voted to adopt:

• To serve as an administrator, a member should be at least eighteen years of age, have been a member for six months while maintaining a continuous, visible, and contributory presence on the board and have spent enough time on the experimental board to demonstrate an ability to perform the routine functions of an admin.

Who exactly decides what is a 'continuous, visible and contributory presence' is what we are voting on right now, but we wanted to empower someone to make a qualitative decision.

The other thing we are voting on right now is how mandatory various kinds of service should be. The vote on both these question is tied, so you can see that these are tough decisions. That says to me that deciding on the criteria for voting membership will not be easier.

But it did break deadlock for us to move away from strictly quantitative terms. It is too early to offer specific suggestions because the convention is still voting, but, for example, certainly someone who has met the eligibility requirements for an admin and has entered the admin pool intending to serve a term of office in the future would also be entitled to vote. Certainly someone in the jury pool would be entitled to vote. When all these eligibilities are determined (and ratified by the members), and we decide just how much of this is mandatory and how much strictly voluntary, the results of those decisions may suggest strongly to us who the 'voting members' should be.

And again, when we talk about voting members we are talking about official, binding votes that affect the by-laws, etc. and not polls of member opinion about sundry items like whether to delete a smiley.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 2:13 am

Quote:
My boys at 17 and 15 still kiss both their parents.
But a total stranger who you met only the previous evening?

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 3:48 am

Hurray for Voronwe! :hug:

Hurray for Lidless! :hug:

Hurray for Jny! :hug:

Great things are in store for B77.

I'm glad you're being flexible on the post count as being a sign of involvement. TORC was my first messageboard, and although I started posting in October of 2002 (after lurking for a couple of years before then), I only racked up a grand total of 491 posts. Still, I lurked every day and considered myself a real member. I just got more pleasure from reading what everyone else had to say.

I enjoy reading what everyone says here, too, but for some reason I find it more comfortable to post. Last time I noticed, I had about 120 posts in the less than one month I've been here. Quite a difference. At this rate, I would hit the TORC total in less than five months. I like this place and will do whatever it takes to help it thrive.

(Well, maybe not kiss holby... ) :)

Word shaper / Soul tender / Melody maker

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 9 of 11  [ 219 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 17 8 9 10 11 »
Jump to: