board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Admin Code of Conduct: Voting Closed

Post Reply   Page 4 of 4  [ 66 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Apr , 2005 6:28 pm

No I don't think that is appropriate. If you wanted it removed from the ballot, you should have objected to its inclusion before the vote started. If a majority of the committee votes to keep it in, it should be in.

Remember, these are rules for admins, not for members in general. If they are passed and you don't feel you can live by them, don't become an admin. But I really don't understand why anyone would want to use the admin office to encourage illegal conduct.

Do it on your own time.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Apr , 2005 6:41 pm
of Vinyamar

Sorry Voronwe, you are of course correct. I should have spoken up before we went to a vote but I didn't spot it. There's so much going on in here I'm having trouble keeping up. You may have noticed my slowdown in posting in the other fora.

However, I reserve my right to look for an amendment as soon as is possible.

In answer to this:
Quote:
But I really don't understand why anyone would want to use the admin office to encourage illegal conduct
If I was acting as an admin I don't feel I should have to resign my office or go to PM to request a copy of an MP3 from a friend. That's my opinion. And I am offended by your suggestion to "Do it on your own time". Everything I do on this board is done "on my own time". The fact that I am willing to give up even more of "my own time" to work for the good of the board should not marginalise me.

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Apr , 2005 6:59 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Please, calm down everybody, it's friday and the week has been long.

Voronwe - I don't think that Alatar talks about using the admin office to encourage illegal conduct - it's rather a question of the posts that even an admin keeps on making like any normal poster.

I made an alike comment in the other thread: sometimes we just don't know if something is concerned by copyright or not. Could it not be added that it should be forbidden to encourage behaviour known as to be illegal?

Alatar, the multiplication of discussion points has been tough for everybody, for me too, even though I suggested it... I'm sorry for it now, but I still feel that this part of the constitution must be finished to make the boards functionnable on a larger scale. It's difficult, lots to read, hard to understand - but it won't last forever.

I would send you a hug on IM, but it says you're not there :P.

It is friday.... and the week has been long.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Apr , 2005 8:34 pm
Living in hope

It has indeed been a long week, and Nin's words are wise.

I hope an attorney will stomp on me if I'm wrong, but an individual member who does something illegal here, and is caught, gets only himself in trouble; an admin, though, could be argued as working for/representing/carrying out the policies of the board, and therefore an admin's individual bad behavior could get the whole board in trouble. This is a pain because admins don't have official "on duty" and "off duty" times (nor should they--that would be a nightmare, I think), so they just have to toe the line even when they're hanging out and having fun.

But that is a perfectly reasonable expectation from someone holding a position of trust.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Apr , 2005 8:54 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Alatar,

I'm not going to remove this provision at this point because the majority of convention members had already agreed to it when you entered the discussion.

If it arouses great dispute when we present it to the members, it will be pulled before the charter goes to a vote, then discussed at a later time. Under the system I proposed, no one thing can prevent ratification if it is highly controversial. We're going to ratify what is not controversial and then return to the controversial stuff to resolve it.

That was supposed to help us speed the process and avoid getting bogged down in disputes over one or two items.

I would like to remind everyone that the wording in this case is "criminal behavior" and "illicit substance."

Those words are pretty restrictive in what they include.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Apr , 2005 9:01 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Also, I forgot what I came in here to do.

It's time to close this vote. Way over time. If you all want to keep discussing the criminality issue, it was also going strong in the Admin Removal thread when I left after lunch.

voters = 12
Accept all 19 = 8
Exlude one = 4

Candidates for exclusion were:
Provision 1 = 1
Provision 12 = 1
Provision 18 = 2

and Holby voted to accept all 19 but also voiced a milder objection to Provision 18, so I have that provision marked in my file as having three objections.

I'll move the Code into the charter, and of course the members will soon have opportunity to discuss all of these points for 10 days.

People we barely made a quorum on this vote. Do votes need to be left up longer - like 48 hours? If you think so, please let me know in one of the other open threads.

admins, this thead can be locked.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 4  [ 66 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4
Jump to: