Admin Code of Conduct: Voting Closed

Post Reply   Page 1 of 4  [ 66 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 »
Jnyusa
Post subject: Admin Code of Conduct: Voting Closed
Posted: Mon 11 Apr , 2005 6:34 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

BALLOT FOR REVIEW
(Items will not be numbered in the Charter. They are numbered here so that people can object to them by number.)

1. Be the Admin you want everyone else to be.

2. Prioritize functioning as an Admin. You can still post as a normal poster yet your priority should lie in keeping the board running smoothly, attending to requests, helping to work on any pending agendas and generally strive to make Board 77 a better place for all members

3. Read the Administrators' Handbook, observe all the by-laws of the board, and enforce them uniformly. If you are unsure of your authority to take a particular action, use your best judgment and confer with another admin as soon as it is possible to do so. Act as a model poster in accordance with all the rules laid out for board 77

4. Keep the other Admins updated regularly in a dedicated thread in the Admin forum.

5. If you are going to be absent from the board for more than 72 hours, notify the other admins by posting in the management forum and delegate any pending tasks

6. Assign priority to answering business-related PM's and emails. If you cannot handle the request of a member yourself, let them know that you have given it to another admin.

7. Don’t ‘hide’ being online. Having volunteered as an admin you have agreed to be available and members need to know which Admins are online.

8. When posting references to other threads, insert them as clickable links naming the full thread-title to make the posting experience an easy and pleasurable one for everyone.

9. If you have to edit someone else’s post, note this in the post with your name and the date.

10. Help the admins-in-training to the best of your abilities

11. Treat all posters the same. When editing posts, answering requests, or enforcing by-laws, be courteous and do not try to intimidate posters with your office.

12. Please don't try to influence the behavior of our posters on other boards, either by discouraging them from posting or encouraging them to post certain things, or by telling them that what they do on other boards will have consequences for them on B77.

13. If you are going to be absent for two full weeks or more, you must notify the other admins in the management forum and arrange in advance for a temporary admin to take your place.

14. If you find you must be absent for more than four full weeks, we ask you to resign because a temporary admin cannot be appointed to replace you. This will not affect your future eligibility, although you will return to the bottom of the roster as if you had served your term.

15. If you are asked to set up and oversee an Arbitration or a Hearing on a Ban, do so promptly.

16. Try to face criticism from posters calmly and not take it personally.

17. If you receive a warning because of a violation of the Code of Conduct, please accept it with good grace. You will always be given a chance to explain your side of any issue. Warnings are not made public, and if they do not accumulate into a Formal Complaint, no record is kept of them.

18. There are certain things which might result in your removal from office, and by agreeing to the Code of Conduct you are agreeing to these terms as well:
• You will not deliberately or maliciously ban posters who are entitled to a hearing or suspend posting rights without due process, except in the course of exercising Extraordinary powers
• You will not reveal private information to which you have access because of your office, such as profile information that members have made hidden or the contents of secret ballots cast by PM or email
• You will not give another poster access to the admin panel
• You will not boast on the board about criminal activities or encourage other posters to engage in them, such as use of illicit substances, activities forbidden to minors, obtaining bootleg films or CDs or other violations of copyright law.

19. If you have been accused of any activity that would result in your removal from office, you have a right to a hearing.

Please Select A or B:

A. I accept all 19 points in the Code of Conduct
B. I would like to exclude point(s) [# ] list all numbers you want excluded

Last edited by Jnyusa on Fri 15 Apr , 2005 9:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 2:14 am

bump above locked voting threads

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 10:12 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Thanks Jny for going ahead with this . :)
As I mentioned at the beginning of this convention, weekends are very tough for me to be online.

You're 100% correct in all of the above . I did/do indeed view this as a job description to give prospective Admins (and serving Admins) an idea of what is expected. Where to place it 'the document' once the discussion are complete: to place it as an expectations clause I have no objection nor would I have any objection placing it somewhere else, just as long as it's 'highly' visible and clear ;)

As to the part re individual statements of admin volunteers this information I believe would best be collected and placed in a seperate thread in the Admin management forum; vieweable to all yet managed by the Admins (and cross-referenced to whenever needed)

Off to read the other thread :)

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 11:20 am
WYSIWYG

Yes, keeping the personal descriptions separate from this text is a good idea, I think. :)

And, like I said in the other thread, I'd subscribe to the list as it stands.

So, nothing much to say. :)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 11:24 am
Per aspera ad astra

Same here - and I've spent my morning hanging around on the experiment board :D (well jsut the hour of school that dropped)

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 12:22 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

In order to try and make things hopefully a bit more manageable, I've tried to 're-organize' this code of conduct for it is my hope that the main points (titles) will be included in the discussion over at Admin removal

Additions are in blue; Under discussion in red
ADMIN CODE OF CONDUCT

During the limited period of being an Admin, and Admin should:

- Prioritise functioning as an Admin.
You can still of course post as a normal poster yet your priority should lie in keeping the board running smoothly, attending to requests, help working on any pending agenda's and generally strive to make Board 77 a better place for all members

- Uphold the constitution. Be thoroughly familiar with the constitution and act as a model poster in accordance with all the rules laid out for board 77

- Keep the other Admins updated regularly in a dedicated thread in the Admin forum. Communicate freely and consistently with the other Admins transparently in all the threads in the Admin forum

- Absences If you're away for more than 3days/72hours (under discussion)from board 77 during your admin term inform the other Admins by posting in the dedicated thread and arrance, if necessary, to delegate any pending tasks. Failure to do so might result in a warning and upon accumulation of (3) warnings will result in removal from the Admin position (as laid out in …..)

- Assign priority to answering PM's and emails Deal with those as promptly and efficiently as possible. If you need feedback from other admins in order to reply to the sender, inform the sender immediately and get back to the sender once you have all the information you need. If for any reason you personally cannot take care of it, inform the sender, delegate and let the person who takes over from you get back in touch with the sender.

- Visible status at all times Never hide being online at board 77. Having volunteered as an admin you have agreed to be available. Members NEED to be able to see which Admin is online. If for any reason you may need to hide your online status (e.g. health-reasons but you still want to post on the board) then put a notice into the Admin forum. A thread of who is not available at which times will need to be created

- other points to be added

The 'minor points' which I think won't be necessary to include as points over at the other thread are (but will go into the code of conduct and/or admin handbook)

- When posting references to other existing threads, to insert them as clickeable links naming the full thread-title to help make the posting/reading experience of all on board 77 an easy and pleasurable one.

- when editing/adding to any post to make a note of that fact in that post stating your name & date. (According to requirements clause of 4. Routine Powers)

- help admin in training volunteers to the best of your abilities

- other points to be added

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 3:18 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

I'm content with this.
Although there are an over-eager apostrophe and a typing error nagging at me.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 3:21 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Nothing is perfect....

look at your signature - it needs an update

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 3:50 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

That's because I haven't been online properly in over a week and Jury Rm duty takes precedence. All thigns in good time. :P

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 4:01 pm

Friends,

I have some things I would like to add to the Code of Conduct but I can't get to it before tomorrow (Wed) because of my teaching schedule. So I thank everyone for their patience, and I will be back to this thread in the near future.

Jn

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 5:13 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Just edit them out Leoba if they bug you sooo much - because you can, and I have the advantage of claiming non-native speaker handicap

:halo: ;)

Looking forward to it Jny :) still catching up myself too

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 6:46 pm

OK - this was not as complicated as I thought ... these are the points I pulled from the "Removal" thread - there is overlap with Alandriel's list, and some things she has phrased much better so I will come back and edit all this later into the first post. There are a few things where I disagree with Alandriel, for example, whether an admin has to post 'visible' all the time or only during the times when they are expected to be online.

Everyone else please compare, add, subtract .... I probably won't be in the thread again until tomorrow.

1. If you are going to be absent from the board for more than 72 hours you need to notify the other admins in the management forum and hand over pending tasks

2. You should respond to business-related PMs and emails with 24 hours, at the latest within 72 hours. If you cannot handle the request of a member yourself, let them know that you have given it to another admin.

3. When you entered the admin pool, you gave the Mayor your list of prime posting times. When you are online during those times, members and other admins expect you to be visible, not hidden. This is so that members will know which admins are online. You may post hidden at other times unless the admins have arranged among themselves to cover a different schedule.

4. Treat all posters the same. When editing posts, answering requests, or enforcing by-laws, be courteous and do not try to intimidate posters with your office.

5. Please do not try to influence the behavior of our posters on other boards, either by discouraging them from posting or encouraging them to post certain things, or by telling them that what they do on other boards will have consequences for them on B77.

7. If you are going to be absent for two full weeks or more, you must notify the other admins in the management forum and arrange in advance for a temporary admin to take your place.

8. If you find that you must be absent for more than four full weeks, we ask you to resign because a temporary admin cannot be appointed to replace you. This will not affect your future eligibility, although you will return to the bottom of the roster as if you had served your term.

9. Please do not take unilateral action on any issue that requires a majority of adninistrators to agree, or for which there is an established procedure. Please read the Administrators Handbook, observe all the by-laws of the board, and enforce them uniformly. If you are unsure of your authority to take a particular action, use your best judgment and confer with another admin as soon as it is possible to do so.

10. If you are asked to set up and oversee an Arbitration or a Hearing on a Ban, do so promptly. Instructions can be found in the sticky thread of the Jury Room, “How to Use the Jury Room.” The perception of fair treatment for all parties is very important to proceedings involving a jury.

11. If you receive a warning because of a violation of the Code of Conduct, please accept it with good grace and do not inflame the issue. Warnings are not made public, and if they do not accumulate into a Formal Complaint, no record is kept of them. Warnings are given to help administrators improve their job performance, and you will always be given a chance to explain your side of any issue.

12. There are certain things which might result in your removal from office, and by agreeing to theCode of Conduct you are agreeing to these terms as well:
• You will not deliberately or maliciously ban posters who are entitled to a hearing or suspend posting rights without due process, except in the course of exercising extraordinary powers ¶(.)
• You will not reveal private information to which you have access because of your office, such as profile information that members have made hidden or the contents of secret ballots cast by PM or email
• You will not give another poster access to the admin panel
• You will not boast on the board about criminal activities or encourage other posters to engage in them, such as use of illicit substances, activities forbidden to minors, obtaining bootleg films or CDs or other violations copyright law.

13. If you have been accused of any activity that would result in your removal from office, you have a right to a hearing.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 7:06 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Just a quickie in the meantime:

- I have no problem with the ammended point 3 re online visibility

Everything else looks great too :D

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 7:26 pm
Living in hope

<grump> Re admin visibility--I think it would be nice to say that admins are encouraged to be visible at other times, especially if no other admin is on (though I'm OK with it being their choice). We're unlikely to have 24-hour coverage even if/when there are seven admins, because that kind of rigid scheduling would really make the job oppressive. So it would be a nice gesture to be visible when it's not actually a problem for you.

(I've never come here hidden, so I'm sure there's something I'm not understanding about its advantages. :D )</grump>

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 7:28 pm

Yes, I agree.

Edit: Just to clarify, I was agreeing with Alandriel.

If I were to become an admin, I would never log on hidden (as I do now).

Last edited by Voronwë_the_Faithful on Tue 12 Apr , 2005 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 7:39 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

It seems that point number 5 doesn't allow for an admin's personal opinion.

What if, as a member of B77, they personally believe a member posting something at another board would potentially harm B77. Regular posters will be able to do this but an admin will not be able to?

I may PM Estel to see if she can come in here and discuss her points about an admin not being visible.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 7:46 pm
WYSIWYG

As to Jny's phrasing of the Code of Conduct:

I'm never hidden either, so I probably just can't understand why some want to be in the first place - but I think the new phrasing is needlessly complicated.
I couldn't tell exactly when I'll be online, and at what of my online times I'd be admining and at what I'd be posting (somehow I'd imagine you could do both at the same time :scratch ).

On the one hand I like the new polite phrasing ("Please do not take unilateral action" - that's kinda cute :D )- on the other, there are many more words, and it's not as easy to grasp as Alandriel's text.

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 7:51 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

truehobbit wrote:
I couldn't tell exactly when I'll be online,nd at what of my online times I'd be admining and at what I'd be posting (somehow I'd imagine you could do both at the same time :scratch )
I know I did and I'm quite sure that's true of most admins.

I was never able to give precise times when I would be online either as it varies so much.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 7:57 pm
Living in hope

Certainly you can do both at the same time--the only time I've found I couldn't was when I was doing something complicated such as setting up the admin voting poll. I realize this will change a lot when we're processing registrations again, though.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 7:59 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

I think the point is only especially relevant for the fortunate (or unfortunate ;) ) admin who spends oodles of time here .... like I used to :halo: Give you an example (though not really from personal experience since I never hid my online status either): first thing in the morning, just out of bed, cuppa tea in hand and online to have a wee peek before the day starts. Can I be 'on duty' so to speak? :Q Probably it's better if I'm not ;) If during such a time I then got a PM about something urgent (never really happened btw) I would (theoretically) have responded something to the effect: sorry, just waking up. Will be on it tough in an hour (or so) and will let you know.

A smilar scenario might happen late at night.

And Prim's point is very valid too. When doing a complicated task it might be better to switch (temporarily) to hidden and I don't see any complications doing so. :)

Some admins might feel that if they're visible they're automatically on duty and actually, yes, that is sort of the case. However, I never did see why one could not respond immediately saying, sorry, don't have time right now but will be on it, and then take care of it within a reasonable timeframe (which for me is 24h btw unless a total panic breaks out, which thankfully does not happen ... erm.. that often ;) )

.. after all, getting 'pelted' with PM request is not really a reality :) However, if multiple IM windows come into play also, then I can also see how it would be difficult to maintain an online visibility. But in such a case I think an Admin can reasonably be expected to judge for themselves, so long as 'hidden' does not become a regular setting and somewhere along the line being an admin remains prioritized

As to point 5: I initially had the same reaction as you Eruname, but then please consider the wording carefully: Please do not try to influence the behavior of our posters on other boards.
After I reflected some more on that I came to the conclusion that the statement as of point 5 is quite fair and wise :)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 4  [ 66 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: