The Last Homely Site on the Web

Admin Code of Conduct: Voting Closed

Post Reply   Page 2 of 4  [ 66 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 9:31 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Read it all through, and nothing to add.

I never hide my online status here, whereas I frueqently do on IM.

I thought about Alandriel's remark concerning what happens if you get flodded with PM windows in an online moment when you cannot handle them: for me it could when surfing from school.

But then - time to type back: I will take care of it in X hours, I would take it, even if the bell rings (don't tell my students).

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 11:33 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Alandriel wrote:
As to point 5: I initially had the same reaction as you Eruname, but then please consider the wording carefully: Please do not try to influence the behavior of our posters on other boards.
After I reflected some more on that I came to the conclusion that the statement as of point 5 is quite fair and wise :)
Yes, I read the other boards part. I remember there was one time where something "dramatic" had happened and several people wanted to go over to TORC and post something. Berhael, Leoba, me, and I believe you had a little IM conference about it and each made our own post saying how we didn't think it would be the wisest thing to do and listed why we thought that. While we were admins and we conferred with each other, we weren't acting as if our opinion counted more. We were just offering our opinions as board members since we were very concerned about something. But if this rule had been about, we wouldn't have been able to do so because we were admins.

I could try to find the situation I'm talking about but that could take hours wading through those long threads. :Q

Jn, what prompted you to write this point? I'm just wondering what made you think of it. Do you think admins have been unfairly influencing people in the past?

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Apr , 2005 12:27 am
WYSIWYG

Alandriel wrote:
I think the point is only especially relevant for the fortunate (or unfortunate ;) ) admin who spends oodles of time here .... like I used to :halo: Give you an example (though not really from personal experience since I never hid my online status either): first thing in the morning, just out of bed, cuppa tea in hand and online to have a wee peek before the day starts. Can I be 'on duty' so to speak? :Q Probably it's better if I'm not ;) If during such a time I then got a PM about something urgent (never really happened btw) I would (theoretically) have responded something to the effect: sorry, just waking up. Will be on it tough in an hour (or so) and will let you know.

A smilar scenario might happen late at night.
Yes, that's what I was thinking of about telling people you are now admining. In the early morning situation, you ARE admining, just doing a brief check, you would respond if there was an emergency, but you don't plan to keep admining for an hour at that point. So, notifying someone that you are now "on duty" wouldn't make sense.
That's what I thought of when I spoke of mixing normal posting and admining: the way I imagine it, is that you might be off and on for ten minutes here and ten minutes there - not sitting down for one or two hours and do today's admining all in one go - so you couldn't really say when you are on duty.

Hmmh, point number five seems to me to be prompted by the discussion we had when it seemed that TORC would punish people on TORC for what they wrote elsewhere. It says
Quote:
5. Please do not try to influence the behavior of our posters on other boards, either by discouraging them from posting or encouraging them to post certain things, or by telling them that what they do on other boards will have consequences for them on B77.
Also, I think partly this point might have been prompted by fears that admins could either intimate to members that posting elsewhere would be frowned upon here, or that, conversely, they could provoke posters to spam or otherwise post negatively on other boards.
However, I think it's a valid objection that this rule also prevents admins from trying to stop people from doing just that.

And I'm wondering why there is no point No. 6? :scratch ;)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Apr , 2005 12:42 am
Living in hope

<Monty Python>

Rule Six! There is nooooooooooooo--Rule Six!

</Monty Python>

(I believe Rule Seven and all the other odd-numbered rules were "No Pooftahs!")

And I very much think that admins should be permitted to waft in and out without announcing anything--it's fine to give a general idea of when you're usually on and arrange groups of admins accordingly, but if this becomes an "on duty/off duty" thing or something where people are "in" for exact hours, it will take a lot of the fun out of it without greatly increasing the convenience for members.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Apr , 2005 12:52 am

I very much agree.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Apr , 2005 2:20 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

Eru: Jn, what prompted you to write this point? I'm just wondering what made you think of it. Do you think admins have been unfairly influencing people in the past?

I didn't write it, Eru; I changed it from negative to positive form though. In the Removal thread someone posted it as a reason an admin could receive or warning or complaint or something, and I don't remember who that was. I used the lists of the Removal thread to see what was missing here.

TH- And I'm wondering why there is no point No. 6?

:oops: Can't count!

Re visibility -- ha-ha, I was trying to make that provision less strict and I see I made it more strict instead. Asking people to just remain visible while is OK with me ... also OK with me to give admins more discretion ... like ... if you're the only admin on the board, decloak at regular intervals so that posters know someone's around ... something like that?

The 'prime times' they'll be given to choose from are four-hour blocks - strictly for time zone coverage - it's not binding but just to make sure we don't pick admins who are all posting during the same four hours of the day and gone the rest of the time.

Jn

edit: Here's #6! TH zapped it in another thread.

#6. Try to face criticism calmly and not take it personally.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Apr , 2005 1:26 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Jnyusa wrote:
I didn't write it, Eru; I changed it from negative to positive form though. In the Removal thread someone posted it as a reason an admin could receive or warning or complaint or something, and I don't remember who that was. I used the lists of the Removal thread to see what was missing here.
Then can the person who suggested this come forward and give their reasoning for this and explain to me what exactly they were thinking? I'd appreciate it. :)

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 3:12 am

I would like to add something as the very first line in the Code of Conduct.

Be the Admin you want everyone else to be. :)

People, I see no reason why this list cannot be put to a vote. I've eliminated those points of mine that duplicated Alandriel, streamlined the language a bit. Also, Alandriel, in your point, "Uphold the constitution. Be thoroughly familiar with the constitution," I susbstituted the Administrator's Handbook. No one should really need to read the whole constitution and be thoroughly familiar with it to do 99.9% of the tasks that might arise. We've got the charter for reference when we need it, but everything the admins routinely need should be in the handbook

I've put up a ballot for review in the first post, and will try to start a vote on this tomorrow morning (that's Thursday evening in Europe).

Jn

Profile Quote
Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 4:14 am
Garrulous Griffon

Looks good to me.

moment's hurt may harm or scar
but not inert nor beaten are
those who look and see afar
the healing hand of morning's star.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 5:44 am
Living in hope

Jn, it looks excellent to me. I support it wholeheartedly as it stands.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 7:17 am
Per aspera ad astra

Looks fine for me - can we vote already?

(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 8:18 am

I thought I would start the vote at ~3:00 PM GMT, to give all the Europeans a chance to review the ballot.

Jn

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 10:09 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

Quote:
17. If you receive a warning because of a violation of the Code of Conduct, please accept it with good grace. You will always be given a chance to explain your side of any issue. Warnings are not made public, and if they do not accumulate into a Formal Complaint, no record is kept of them.
Who is giving the warnings?
Otherwise the others are ok with me.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 10:28 am
Per aspera ad astra

Who gives the warning is discussed in the other thread....

I think

(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 10:54 am
WYSIWYG

Beeee-autiful! :)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 1:00 pm
Not so deep as a well

Very nice. Very positive. I like it. :)

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 1:12 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Very nice :D

and Holby: what Nin said ;) It's in the other thread
Admin removal

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 1:13 pm
Per aspera ad astra

I said something right :D

(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 2:09 pm

Nin, everything that you say is right. :)

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 3:33 pm

You can start voting, everyone.

Sorry to be late once again! Please dont past the entire list into your post but just the question of which choice you want, and then add the number of anything you want removed from this list.

Jn

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 4  [ 66 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: