board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

The Last Discussion Evah About Opening board77?

Post Reply   Page 9 of 9  [ 174 posts ]
Jump to page « 15 6 7 8 9
dhspgt
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 May , 2005 1:33 am

Truehobbit:

I realize that my writing wobbles all over the place, but I tend to be grammatical. Perhaps it would help if I removed a couple of clauses.

What if ... those posters ... struggle [I would have said "fail" but I am a gentle hobbit] to become energized by a new “common cause”?

Please understand, I do not want or need the chair. I am simply concerned about my friends who gather here. I know they will give it the old college try (if, for no other reason than to prove that the creation of B77 was both necessary and "the right thing"), but there will be a natural lull following the birth many here have labored so long and hard to achieve--a post partum depression.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 May , 2005 1:53 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

Is "we'll need a vacation" another way to say that?

If so, yeah. I will. :D

BUT ... there's something to be said for the backwater, you know. So much evolution takes place in the backwater, the tidal pool, protected from the rush of the breakers. I envision hiding under my cloak in the Hall of Fire, like Bilbo, chin on knee, venturing out only for meals, furrowing my brow over the best way to put some philosophical questions I've been chewing on since TORC became uninhabitable.

There is, you know, always more where that came from.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 May , 2005 1:56 am

Quote:
I envision hiding under my cloak in the Hall of Fire, like Bilbo, chin on knee, venturing out only for meals, furrowing my brow over the best way to put some philosophical questions I've been chewing on since TORC became uninhabitable.
That's the second reference that you have made to these rumifications recently. Do you have any idea how that whets my appetite? :)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 May , 2005 2:15 am
Living in hope

Jn's got a carrot and a stick! And it's some carrot. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 May , 2005 2:19 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

Primula_Baggins wrote:
Jn's got a carrot and a stick! And it's some carrot. :D
:salmon:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 May , 2005 2:23 am

So, ahem, turning back to the issue at hand. The poll says that it is to determine when we should open, assuming that the issues of how to open are resolved separately. We've already identified two issues about "how to open the board". There is already a very productive discussion going on with the goal of resolving the questions related to the ToE forum. The other issue that has been identified is the question of whether non-members will be able to read the board when we open. I think that should be relatively straightforward to resolve. What other issues regarding "how to open the board" can people think of that need to be resolved?

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 May , 2005 2:32 am
Living in hope

I've been toying with the thought that we might want to actually have one or two forums readable by non-members—forums with interesting content, where the posts are thoughtful but not terribly personal. Hall of Fire springs to mind. With Jn posting crunchable, tasty topics. . . . This might not be the right forum, of course; it was just my initial thought.

If we have no publicly readable forums at all, we aren't going to attract new people other than from TORC. But I don't think we want to have everything out there where the Googlebots can get it. One of the things that makes the Symposium so good, for example, is people posting honest personal experiences that they might not want to post if lurkers could read them and the posts were going to end up on Google.

This might be a compromise to consider. Bait, of sorts.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 May , 2005 2:48 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

Assuming that the article on admins is ratified and the article on juries is also ratified, I suggest that we get out an email to all current members asking whether they wish to be in either pool.

Perhaps we could even do that now, since Article 3 is on the way to being ratified, and it seems that there will be a jury pool whatever else happens with the Article.

I'd like to see current members be the ones who go first.

It also gives us a more 'finished' look if there are people already in those pools.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
tolkienpurist
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 May , 2005 12:44 pm
Unlabeled

I second Prim's thought. Makes a lot of sense.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 May , 2005 4:35 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Good idea indeed Jny :)

As to what should be viewable to all and what only to registered members, well I would propose to revisit the discussions that took place in the Restructuring the boards thread. Estel had started in there with a number of excellent suggestions and other people have input there also. Yes I'm aware that in the meantime we have somewhat re-structured the board and added a few more categories.
It would be nice though to do it 'more thoroughly' before we open up ;)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 May , 2005 7:38 pm
Living in hope

Alandriel, I reread that thread, and you're quite right, there are great ideas in there. However, I really think the time to discuss restructuring the board is when we're preparing to move, not now—restructuring is another huge attention sink, which I think we don't need (nor would it get the attention it deserves now, with so much else going on).

Carrying out any restructuring will also be a huge amount of admin work, which I think we might as well combine with the admin work of moving to the new board.

In my post above I was only talking about what we might do with our existing structure, assuming we are still on this server when we open.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 May , 2005 8:26 pm

Personally, I'm not convinced of a need to restructure the boards. My feeling is it ain't broke so why fix it? But if others have a strong feeling about doing so, I'll not stand in their way.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 1:00 am
WYSIWYG

Phew, I'm glad we've left the imagery behind - I mean, I like images - but we went from chairs to childbirth to tidal pools to Bilbo in Rivendell to carrots on sticks - I was getting dizzy! ;) :D

Thanks for the explanation dhspgt! :) Sorry I read that wrong :oops: - LOL, I thought it was "creation struggle" (with "struggle" as a noun). That's because German would demand a comma after "creation", I suppose.
(Damn English for its random use of commas - same problem for me with another of your sentences in the later post ;) :D )

As to the other questions: good ideas, all!
I agree restructuring would best be done in one go with the move.

Another question about opening: when we were young (LOL) we tossed around ideas of different ways of checking on registration.
I.E. you wouldn't get access automatically after registering but only after an admin activated your account, or there would be some questions on the registration form, like "what interests you about this place" or so (provided it would be readable, I suppose) - all in the hope to keep out spammers and trolls. I'm not sure any of these is still desirable, but it's too late at night for me to form an opinion, so I just thought I'd mention those again and ask if someone thinks they still are of interest now. :)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 05 Jun , 2005 7:40 pm
WYSIWYG

A bit of cleaning up of this forum has, rightly I think, been requested - it's getting hard to see where the discussion is taking place.

I'm therefore locking this thread to avoid confusion in the forum as to which are the active threads. :)

(Voronwe, if you disagree to locking this, please let me know! - Or just re-open it yourself! ;) :D )

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 9 of 9  [ 174 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 15 6 7 8 9
Jump to: