The Last Homely Site on the Web

Administrator Handbook

Post Reply   Page 2 of 4  [ 65 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 May , 2005 5:44 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Re pdf - I would strongly advise having both pdf and html available because not everyone can access/print pdf. I cannot do it from home, for example, only from the U.

I've leave this thread open, and as threads get updated I'll change the links. I was going to ask someone else to do it ... oh, but admins can edit my posts ... so you can either fix the links directly or ask me to do it.

Can someone else coordinate the creation of the html and pdg webfiles, though, and moving the text over there? I wouldn't have a clue where to begin.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 1:26 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Nothing prevents us from uploading both pdf and word doc/html format and I think also that both should be available for users to choose from :)

As to volunteering... erm.. well, I think I 'run' about 10 geocities webpages to date :oops: so, setting one more up won't really make a difference :halo: that is, if nobody else wants the task of fighting with their upload manager (free websites do have their downsides grrr).

If no-one else wants to jump in, I could do the basic set-up, make the word doc/html pages available with an index page but Ax would have to send me the pdf files via email attachment.
And I would need the password again to access the site (info is in confidential Admin management).

If rather one of the current Admins would like to have a go at uploading, I could still supply you with the actual html files and associated folders to upload.

Just let me know :)

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 2:34 pm
Not so deep as a well

I think dual format is fine (although the Adobe Acrobat Reader software is a free download...hint hint) as I know I prefer html for online viewing.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 2:37 pm
Living in hope

Not everyone's computer can handle Acrobat files, unfortunately. And even though mine can, I also prefer html for reading anything but very long documents online; it's seamless.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 3:11 pm
Thanks to Holby

I'm giving up on my attempt to verify consistency between the Charter and the Handbook.

I think I'm not conversant enough in the procedures to be able to do this.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 6:02 pm

No prob, Cerin. With 17 eyes looking at it, any glaring errors should surface.

Alandriel - that's super and I leave you in charge of that. Let's leave the handbook here for awhile though so that corrections can be made in one place instead of two or three.

Jn

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 10 May , 2005 6:54 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Ax: I know the reader is free - but with that I cannot create a pdf file, I can only read existing ones. Would be great if you could email them to me as attachments to alandriel_e-b77@yahoo.co.uk

Prim: if it's ok with you and the other admins, then I need the password to access the b77 yahoo.co.uk account. Please PM or email me.

What I'll do is assemble the info in the right formats and then upload a main links page. Once that's done, I'll give the pannel the URL and you can then all tell me if it's ok or not. Then we can upload the final html and pdf files, you check again and we're set. Hope that works for all :)

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 10 May , 2005 2:14 pm

Alandriel - We have more things to add to the Handbook. Don't do all the work twice! I would suggest keeping everything on your computer so that it can be edited and then only pasting the final copy.

The admins should feel free to go inside my first post and copy text with the url code already in it to make Alandriel's job easier.

Jn

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 10 May , 2005 2:57 pm
Not so deep as a well

I think waiting for a final copy is a reeeeealy good idea. :D This from someone who as a matter of daily course in his job regularly has to edit things he knows will get totally rewritten by someone else before he's done... :rage: :rage: :rage:

Popping a pdf into an email is not a problem, Alandriel. :) Do it all the time.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 10 May , 2005 3:00 pm
Living in hope

Jn, Alandriel can get at the URLs without being an admin—quoting a post displays them.

I've sent her the password to the Yahoo account.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 10 May , 2005 5:57 pm

quoting a post displays them.

There ya' go!

I haven't figure out yet how to quote a post. Notice how I do everything in italics? :oops:

Jn

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 10 May , 2005 6:01 pm
Living in hope

Jn—you just click the "quote" box to the upper right of the post you want to quote. You then get a reply box with the entire post between quote tags: [ quote="Spammer" ] text text text [ /quote ] without the spaces. Cut away what you don't want, and you're there.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 10 May , 2005 6:15 pm

Primula_Baggins wrote:
Cut away what you don't want, and you're there.
I's trying it right now. Let's see if it works.

Jn

kewl

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 30 May , 2005 3:17 pm

Bumping over the locked threads. We still have to add the Appeals procedure to this Handbook.

I'll try to write something up today.

I don't think anything additional is needed regarding how to convene Hearings and I have taken out the indigo notes I made to myself inside the text. Unless someone notices important instructions that are missing, the addition of Appeals should do it.

Then we have to change the name of Administrators everywhere. :)

Jn

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 30 May , 2005 4:07 pm

Only if the committee approves changing the name. :)

Edit: And the membership ratifies the change, no?

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 30 May , 2005 4:24 pm

Yes, I guess so. I'm wondering how to do that. Should it be a separate ratification vote? If we include it with another vote I'm afraid it might scuttle the other vote, not knowing how the members are likely to receive this. Do you think the members will actually remember to vote in all three threads if we put up three at a time?

Anyway ...

I'm adding the following paragraphs to the Handbook, in between the part about bans and right before 'What to Do if Members are Giving You a Hard Time:'

Hearing Appeals (Charter Article 5, ¶8)

• Members are entitled to appeal the decisions and penalties of a jury under certain circumstances. An appeals panel is made up of four former administrators, selected in the order in which their most recent term concluded.

• All appeals must be heard, and the Appeals panel is assembled by a current administrator. You are required to assemble a panel if an appeal is received. However, service on an Appeals panel after your term of office has ended is voluntary.

• Because all appeals must be heard, it is up to the panel to decide whether the appeal actually has merit, and whether to overturn the decision of the jury and/or reduce or remove the penalty imposed. If you serve on an Appeals panel, please read the paragraph on Appeals carefully, Article 5, ¶8, so that you know the circumstances under which an appeal has merit and when it is appropriate to reduce a penalty. Some of these conditions allow discretion on the part of the panel, so you may wish to refer to past cases in the Archive Forum to reach a decision that is fair and consistent.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 30 May , 2005 4:40 pm

Jnyusa wrote:

Yes, I guess so. I'm wondering how to do that. Should it be a separate ratification vote? If we include it with another vote I'm afraid it might scuttle the other vote, not knowing how the members are likely to receive this. Do you think the members will actually remember to vote in all three threads if we put up three at a time?
I think it has to be a separate vote, Jn. I share your concern about attention spans but it seems to me that the pros outweigh the cons. If we are going to get this done, the members are going to have to take enough responsibility to do their part. We had a very comfortable quorum last time, so I think it should not be a problem. We'll just have to keep reminding people that there is more then one poll to vote in.

But do we really need a ten day discussion period about whether or not to change the admin name. If one person objected to the idea, do we have to scuttle it even if a strong majority would agree? I don't think so.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 30 May , 2005 4:55 pm
Living in hope

I don't see how a ten-day discussion of this one tiny point would do anything more than fog things. The membership has already adopted a name, "Admin," for the position; we would just be asking, "Do you want to change it to 'Ranger'?" If we were naming the position for the first time, sure, ten days would be appropriate for all ideas to emerge and be discussed. But this is just a yes-or-no vote, with an already-ratified name in place if the change is rejected.

If we do three votes, why not have one sticky including "Vote three times!" in the title and links to all three votes inside—so people get it firmly in their minds that there are three places to vote?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 30 May , 2005 5:16 pm
Thanks to Holby

I think it would be a mistake not to allow some discussion on the name change. If people were allowed to have their say, they might find it easier in the end to vote to accept the change.

This seems to me to be an ideal situation to open a discussion thread in Business about, before the other threads are put up for vote. Let people air their feelings.

Those 'Hearing Appeals' paragraphs look good to me, Jn. Thank you!

Edit

I really like the 'Vote three times!' sticky idea. :)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 30 May , 2005 5:43 pm
Living in hope

But Cerin, we're not really asking "Do you want to change the name?" We're asking "Do you want to change the name to Ranger?" I'm afraid if we throw the door open for ten days, we'll get forty-three suggestions, many of which the committee has already discarded for good reason, and no clear consensus about the question we're actually asking.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 4  [ 65 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: