Administrator Handbook

Post Reply   Page 3 of 4  [ 65 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 30 May , 2005 5:49 pm
Thanks to Holby

Yes, I see your point, Prim.

It's just that I can also imagine this is the sort of thing people would enjoy having input on (where it doesn't involve alot of complicated details).

But I defer. :)

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 30 May , 2005 6:25 pm

Voronwe trembles at the thought of a membership wide discussion on renaming the admin position

I would sooner leave it as it is. But I don't think we can get around having the discussion period without risking a big foo like we had in the vote about when to open the board. We said that ratification requires ten days of discussion and ten days of voting, and I think we need to live by that rule, even in a situation like this that we did not anticipate. I will just have to emphasize that no matter what people say, it will be a choice between "Ranger" (or whatever else we come up with) or staying with admin. I have no problem with being the heavy in that regard.

Of course, the committee may vote down the change and this ill be a non-issue. :)

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 30 May , 2005 6:28 pm
Thanks to Holby

Oh, that's it V!

We should set up a poll like the when to open poll, with a list of choices, and wherever we hit the 80% threshhold, that will be what we call admins!

:D

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 30 May , 2005 8:18 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

I think, especially if the reason for why RANGER is elaborated a bit in the first post we won't have that much opposition ;)
A simple, straight forward poll like you suggest Voronwe is definitely the best idea and yes, we need to stick with the principle re duration of 10days/10days :)

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 31 May , 2005 3:02 am
Try to stay perky

I concur. :)

Reminder sticky is a good idea also - as long as we don't end up with a big untidy mess of stickies.

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 3:24 pm

bumped over locked threads

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 4:20 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

bumped over locked threads. And ... please note that I changed the title of the Handbook so that both handbook titles would be structured the same way. It is now Handbook for Administrators

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Jun , 2005 12:09 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Right, so I finally had time to read through this properly. First up just FYI the code of conduct is currently uploaded on the geocities pages as part of Article 3 (Administrators/Rangers). Being part of the Article, it of course has to stay there but I would not advocate having the Handbook appear linked from the geocities pages. Rather I would advice to store them there but only link from appropriate stickies on this board. The reason for this is that anybody really can read the Charter on geocities (as it should be) but only those that are truly interested and are members will find the links to the handbooks. Maybe I'm being a tad paranoid here, but I still think it would be better like that.

As to specific comments re the Handbooks as in post 2 of this thread:
Quote:
Anyone can practice being an administrator (Ranger) on the experimental board at any time. HERE
I'd like to refine this somewhat as not to keep it wide open.

Any registered member of b77 can practice being an administrator on the experimental board at any time. Please register here (same link) with the same username which you can activate yourself upon email verification. Before beginning, please read the important announcements and stickies.
Quote:
If you are at least 18 years old, have been a registered member of Board77 for six months, and have established a visible and contributory presence in our community, the Mayor will contact you and ask if you want to join the pool of administrators.
That to me spells out that someone that is interested has to wait until being contacted by the Mayor. Sorry – perhaps it's but a language barrier. To me it should rather be something like:

If you are at least 18years old, have been a registered member of board77 for six months you can volunteer to become an Admin. The Mayor will establish that you qualify under the provision of 'visible and contributory presence' and then your name will go into the Ranger pool volunteer list.
Quote:
In the training pool you can practice routine powers on the real board in the company of a current full admin. Set up a convenient time with the full admin. They will enable your powers and stay online with you while you practice. They will disenable you when you are done.
In the training pool you can practise on the training board as well as hone your routine powers……
Quote:
When you feel ready, and another full admin agrees that you are ready, tell the Mayor to move your name into the pool of full admins.
Just pointing out something here: we need two threads re admin/rangers then. One for the volunteering and a separate one 'post-training' from which to 'harvest'. We don't have that yet and I think it's rather important that gets started soon. Especially in light of
Quote:
You will be notified at least one month in advance of your turn at office.
which won't be in time anymore before the next rotation but getting those lists sorted rather sooner than later will also get more people actively practising (which is needed).

Quote:
If you must resign early, please give one week notice to the Mayor.
Not only to the Mayor, but also to the fellow Admins/Rangers ;) by posting in Forum management (and send email to Mayor, when we have one)
Quote:
activate new members. Add them to the All_Members group and then send them the email welcoming them to the board. If the email bounces, remove them from the All_Members group and add them to the BikeRacks group. This confines them to the BikeRacks. Send a PM telling them that their email is invalid. Do not return the member to the All_Members group until you have a valid email. More details HERE
Having the Admin send welcoming emails is inconsistent with Art. 4-2 greeting new members unless I take that wording wrong. Or was that meant that the Mayor opens a welcome thread ? Sorry – confused. If so, then perhaps it would make even more sense for the Mayor to send the email giving a link to that thread (an ideal opportunity either way to point new members to our Constitution)
Quote:
lock, split or move threads when necessary for the coherence of the discussion or of the forum. You MUST notify the thread originator by PM when doing this. Ideally they will agree before the action is taken, but if this is not a reasonable expectation you may undertake the action yourself.
Addition: Training threads to practise this are available on the practise board.
Quote:
Members are entitled to appeal the decisions and penalties of a jury under certain circumstances. An appeals panel is made up of four former administrators, selected in the order in which their most recent term concluded.
There is somewhere a time-limit that it can be decided by wait x weeks before there is a hearing… only for the life of me I can't find it now :roll:. If I'm right, then that must come in here too.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Jun , 2005 6:32 pm

I have been off doing Alandriel’s bidding!

I would not advocate having the Handbook appear linked from the geocities pages ... but only link from appropriate stickies on this board.

I agree. And I would like a copy of the handbooks kept in the Mayor’s forum as well.

Made the following corrections per your notes:

• Any registered member ... I modified this slightly for clarity

• If you are at least 18years old ... Corrected as requested, and the following paragraph was modified accordingly

• In the training pool you can practise on the training board as well as hone your routine powers... Corrected as requested, and modified my own text for clarity as well

• Not only to the Mayor... Corrected as requested

• Training threads to practise this... I added this to the paragraph above, where locking etc. are first mentioned.

Other issues you mentioned:

There is somewhere a time-limit that it can be decided by wait x weeks before there is a hearing…

For convening a Hearing to Reverse a Ban. All other Hearings have to be convened promptly

Just pointing out something here: we need two threads re admin/rangers then.

Not necessarily two threads, but two separate posts in a single sticky thread devoted to administrator rosters

getting those lists sorted rather sooner than later ...

We can get them started officially as soon as the member ratify Article 4. Vote will run from June 16 through June 26.

Having the Admin send welcoming emails is inconsistent with Art. 4-2 greeting new members unless I take that wording wrong. ...

Alandriel, perhaps this would be the time for me to spring a little surprise on everyone. ;)

I actually set up on my hard drive what the Mayor’s forum would have to look like for all these provisions to be met and for the Mayor to interface smoothly with the admins, given that the Mayor does not have admin power.

I was going to ask a very great favor of the committee and members, which is to allow me the honor of being ‘acting Mayor’ for a few hours and use the Mayor screen name (when created) to set up the forum on June 27. We do in fact need those rosters to be up when the board opens, even though there’s no Mayor yet, and I can do it in a matter of hours because I already figured out how, if people trust my method.

The way I’ve got it set up, the job is a once-a-week job under normal circumstances.

For the interface between Mayor and admins, what I have is a thread, each post of which is a form letter for a specific occasion that the admins can copy and send to the person whom the mayor designates - since the admins have access to the member emails. An email must be sent to tell members that their registration is activated - either at that point or a bit later they can receive the information concerning their eligibilities. All other notifications can be done weekly (if there are any to do) so that one admin only has to take a list from the Mayor once a week, copy the appropriate form letter, and send the letter to the email addies of the members on the list.

Everything loaded into that forum would be loaded with the understanding that the elected Mayor will modify letters to suit his/her own style, add threads and rearrange the furniture, etc., but at least they would have a structure to start with and could hit the ground running with all rosters up to date and notification letters that can be used until they have a chance to write their own.

Jn

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Jun , 2005 6:39 pm
Living in hope

Jn—

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Marvelous!

As far as I am concerned, your plan sounds perfect, and who better to be "Honorary Mayor" on opening day!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Jun , 2005 7:35 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

:D Fab!

One small point though
Quote:
An email must be sent to tell members that their registration is activated - either at that point or a bit later they can receive the information concerning their eligibilities.
The second an Admin activates a poster an automatic phpbb email is sent to that new posters address. Over that email we sadly have no control on this free phpbb nor can we turn it off. It goes roughly:

"Hello 'username'
Your account on "board77" has now been activated, you may login using your username and password . Thanks - The Managment"

A second email will be necessary and the way you propose to handle this is great (and all the rest too) :D but I would encourage you to do this a day or so before the 27th ;) and stay honorary Mayor for the opening.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Jun , 2005 7:45 pm

I would be thrilled to tears to be Honorary Mayor for the opening, as long as I can give back the keys as soon as any modifications to the forum suggested by members or committee have been made.

:Wooper:

But, we really shouldn't open the Mayor's forum until ratification appears to be a done deal. Maybe over that weekend if the vote is going in a positive direction?

Jn

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Jun , 2005 8:03 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Sure thing!

And :Wooper: :D :D :D

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Jun , 2005 8:21 pm

Jn, perhaps you would consider remaining as honorary mayor until we actually elect a real mayor. I think the transition would be much smoother that way.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 3:50 am

Voronwe,

I would love to be able to do that, and will try my best. But I took on a whole new graduate program last academic year and just found out that they're giving me the new undergrad requirement courses as well. :Q So I have to put all these syllabi and curriculum proposals in spiffy form and hand them off to committees and sort of get that behind me. I'm trying to finish it by this weekend ... so, let me see where I stand by Sunday. If what's on my desk right now is gone by then, I'll be a lot more relaxed. :)

Jn

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 11:49 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

The Rangers handbook is now uploaded as a stand-along page on geocities and here in accordance with Jny's latest edits. Suggested editing notes also highlightening possible discrepancies are in Pink. Those will of course disappear once we have the all clear.

To make editing of the geocities pages easier for me, please post any editing comments you have in the thread Constitutional document on geocities naming the page and exactly where the error is. There are crosslinking problems and I'll try and fix those just as soon as may be.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Jun , 2005 5:40 pm

Alandriel -

Just finished going through the Ranger handbook on geocities - that layout is GORGEOUS!

:horse: :horse: :horse: :horse:

I just have one request with regard to appearance. Could you go through the document and close the spaces between paragraphs so that there is no more than one blank line between each paragraph? For some reason (my OCD kicking in) I find it intensely annoying to read paragraphs whose distance is not uniform, and this happens very often in web documents.

• The Mayor will record your date of entry and place your name on a roster so that other members can see you are entering the Ranger training pool. Other members do have the right to object to your service but they must give good reason and you must be given a chance to resolve any problems that might contribute to these objections. When the problems are resolved, you will enter the training pool.

• While you are in the training pool you can practice on the experimental board as well as honing your routine powers on the real board in the company of a current full Ranger. Set up a convenient time with the full Ranger. They will enable your powers and stay online with you while you practice. They will disable your permissions when you are done. Possible confusion here from Ranger pool above and now training pool here.

To correct this confusion, I suggest that in the first paragraph we add the word ‘training’ as shown in blue above.

• Activate new members.
Add them to the All_Members group and then send them the email welcoming them to the board. If the email bounces, remove them from the All_Members group and add them to the BikeRacks group. This confines them to the BikeRacks. Send a PM telling them that their email is invalid. Do not return the member to the All_Members group until you have a valid email. More details HERE possibly to be revised

And methods will change from time to time ... I’m wondering if we need to give someone responsibility for keeping track of everything that has to be updated when something changes ... like the loremasters possibly? This might also be one route for the committee on Amendments to get activated. Let me think about this.

• Activate characters for the RP Forum
Verify that the registration is for is an RP character by checking the Character Registry. HERE . links to be updated for Char.Registry when new thread is active

Same comment as above - someone needs to have a list of all documents and what they contain so we know all the places we have to go when something needs updating ... we need some kind of Index.

Perhaps that can go in Michel Delving, so that any admin could see it and run down the list ... but I have to think about this some more, and/or hear ideas that others may have about it.

Jn

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Jun , 2005 8:13 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

:oops: :D Thanks!

Will have a go at it first thing tomorrow morning :)

A spliffy new RP Character registry thread is already up in 'There and Back again' so I can link that properly. :)

As to the process for activation: well, I have asked the Rangers to please put together a new How-to thread in Management with the Administrator ID. That then should be the source for a whole bunch of procedures, updateable by any one Ranger at any time if and when the system changes. I know they're busy.. but I hope they can get to that soon and then once we have a thread ID # then I can update the link. I dont think a Loremaster should be involved in this. This is Ranger business ;)

Any directory of threads that need maintenance and updates should go into the Management Forum. After all it's the Rangers who can do the editing/updating most easily. There are actually not that many threads and I can list the most important once here in a minute. They should be part of the 'how-to' thread like mentioned above.

From a while back, there is my old Ranger FAQ thread and I have asked that to be redone with the Administrator ID also for the purpose of easy upkeep by all Rangers.

Threads are: maintenance ones in red

In welcome:
- B77 FAQ - done new with Admin ID
- Current Admins and special permission users New thread needed with Admin ID plus updating of info
- the new Guide (in the making)
- another new thread (laureanna was working on that in this thread) containing acronyms, special fonts and other bitts and pieces.

In Business:
- a new 'about this forum' thread yet to be created
- Concerns, Problems & suggestions with this board long running thread for member input/questions etc. No need to be redone (but can be of course if preferred) since Rangers keep a tap on this one and answer questions

- Ranks where members can request a change in rank aka title. Long running thread. See above

Threads of Historical Interest:
- new sticky/directory to be created (by Jny)

Symposium:
- new sticky 'about this forum' to be created

There and back again:
- RP Alternative Character registry all done new :)
- Resources I'll check with Din and will take care of that one
- Welcome old sticky of the 'how's of the forum. Still ok, can stay as is IMO

Made in Dale:
-Welcome to Made in Dale needs an update (Prim)

m77t / Geek:
- needs a new 'about this forum' sticky

Thinking of England:
- new sticky (coming soon - Impenitent) and should replace the older version Read this before posting or reading in this forum

Members Lounge:
- Welcome to the members lounge Admin ID already in place

Hall of Fire:
- Welcome to the Hall of Fire sticky by Prim. Might need updating in first post

Literary rambles
- shuush.... Don't see why it can't stay though perhaps Din would like to update somewhat the first post

Movies & Music respectively
- might need a new 'intro' sticky

Bikeracks:
- How to use the Bikeracks Admin ID . Text there needs changing from Administrator to Ranger. 2nd post contains mediator volunteers

Jury Room:
- How to use the Jury room Admin ID. Text also needs edit Admin/Ranger. 2nd post contains list of jury volunteers

Archives:
- What is the Archive Administrator ID. Link to Juror Handbook nees to be added. Admins changed to read Ranger necessary

Forum management:
- a new and updated version of the Ranger FAQ and how to thread with Admin ID for easy upkeep.

- touching base with one another daily checkin thread. Ongoing

Those are the main ones - suggested by me if 'new'
(hope I got them all)

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Jun , 2005 9:48 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

This is now finally fixed too (I just hope I can say the same of my computer lol)

Rangers Handbook

Thanks for your patience :)

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Jun , 2005 10:02 pm

Z000000000m!

Alandriel just passed us at the speed of light!
:Duck:

Jn

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 4  [ 65 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: