Only one screen name?

Post Reply   Page 9 of 10  [ 194 posts ]
Jump to page « 16 7 8 9 10 »
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 20 May , 2005 8:21 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

laureanna wrote:
No officially allowed secondary IDs except as formal RP players in the RP forum.
Holby wrote:
I am not sure how well that would go over with the RP crowd. Probably not too well I think
:Q Sorry, but where did you get that from???

Where do we say as 'formal' RP players ... where did anyone say it would not go down well with the RP crowd? I know these are your assumptions but let me tell you that at least from my perspective they're totally wrong.

I would more than welcome multiple ID's in the RP forum. Do whatever you want in there. Have fun - have a blast. As long as you don't disturb any of the other RP threads you can do as you like. I think it's you who are 'reluctant' to consider the RP forum as a place for that - not the RP crowd ;)

Just HAD to say that - not chiding anyone here nor stepping on anyone's toes

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 20 May , 2005 9:01 am
of Vinyamar

laureanna wrote:
There will be stealth alternate IDs, just as there are illegal immigrants. I know I will feel the need to have one at some point, and will simply post in that guise from a nearby coffee shop, that has its own IP address. Other future members who may be, as some of you have suggested, of a less savory nature, will also be getting alternate IDs.
Sorry Laureanna, but I have to stop you there. What is the point in us voting on this stuff democratically if we are going to then arbitrarily ignore the vote when it does not go our way?

Why do you feel justified in deliberately flouting what is voted by the rest of the community. It's one thing to warn us that this will require policing and quite another to state as a respected poster that you will not abide by the results of the vote if you disagree with them.

I have had utmost sympathy for your position until now, but this pushes it over the edge for me. All of us are answerable to each other. If we do not behave with mutual respect this board is as good as dead.

Alatar

Last edited by Alatar on Fri 20 May , 2005 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 20 May , 2005 9:31 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

Alandriel it wasn't anything you said.
I wrote that because people have concerns about deceitful alternat ID's, and a lot of those concerns are from RP people. I didn't think they would be too happy seeing alternate ID's in that forum that were not being used for strictly RP. Sorry for any confusion.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 20 May , 2005 11:05 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Well Holby, yes a lot of concerns come from RPers because in the past quite a number of us have used multiple ID's (and not always to the best :oops: - not that I'm saying we're total vandals just saying we have lots of experience with them. The good and the bad)

I can't answer for all the other RPers out there but my impression is (and definitely from my point of view) there would be a lot of tolerance to seeing multiple ID's have their fun in the RP forum. Yes some of us take RP very seriously - but that is only in SPECIFIC RP THREADS. What other people do in the forum.... well, definitely at this point in time we're a small board so I hope the motto is 'live and let live'. Should it ever come to the point that the 'serious' RPers feel the need for their own forum, I'm sure the issue will be raised.

At least from my point of view I'd like to say: welcome one and all to the RP forum. Make yourself comfortable. There are only very few basic rules - the major one being to support one another. :) And inside your fun threads you can do whatever you like (in accordance with the general courtesy rules of this board) as long as the other pre-existing threads are respected.
Some of them are very light and crazy/fun RP anyways. Some are more strict. If in doubt, check first post of thread and/or OCC before you jump in. The very serious folk do put their rules/views in there and as long as you respect that, everything else is game :)

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 20 May , 2005 12:44 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Holbytla wrote:
Alandriel it wasn't anything you said.
I wrote that because people have concerns about deceitful alternat ID's, and a lot of those concerns are from RP people. I didn't think they would be too happy seeing alternate ID's in that forum that were not being used for strictly RP. Sorry for any confusion.
Its not the RP forum that is important here Holby. Multi id's in there are fine, mainly because people often find it easier to write in an alternative id, and chat in them to base about the being they are writing. It is what happens.

From my view, it is the damage that can be done with alternative id's outside that forum. In the Turf for example, or the syposium. I just don't see the point in them there, unless somebody want to be a 'different person' . :scratch

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 20 May , 2005 7:02 pm
Insolent Pup

Laureanna wrote:
Other future members who may be, as some of you have suggested, of a less savory nature, will also be getting alternate IDs.
This is what some of us are trying to avoid in this discussion. We're trying to find some sort of compromise that everyone can live with-- those who want them, don't want them or don't have a preference. A public registry, private registry and an asterisk have all been suggested as possible solutions. Are any of these going to inhibit you if it comes down to you needing an alternate ID from an alternate location?

Instead of sulking, suggestions are needed for ways to solve this.
Alatar wrote:
All of us are answerable to each other. If we do not behave with mutual respect this board is as good as dead.
Well said and the board has clearly lasted because of this sentiment. It's clearly lasted since the beginning and every chunk of time when new members were invited.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 May , 2005 3:40 am
Triathlete

Holby wrote:
Big fat whateva
MMmmmmmm. Doooooonuuuuutsssss......

:love: Alatar called me a respected poster!111

Sulking? Sssulking??? Elliptical hobbit is always so polite. Laureanna shows them secret intentions that nobody else would have thought she had and they say "sulk". SSSSULK? Very nice friend. Oh yes, my preciousss, very nice, very . . . :D

Sorry, can't think of anything relevant to say. On my way to see That Other Big Movie.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 May , 2005 4:26 am
Insolent Pup

It sounded like sulking to me. :D But, I'm just one of those nassssty hobbitsess. :P

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 May , 2005 7:47 pm
Triathlete

I suggest adding this to Voronwe's poll, and have sent him a PM in case he does not see this posting.

Question 1:

C. Members are not limited to one screen name, but are limited to one vote per member for each ballot in which they are entitled participate. Posting under the guise a secondary screen name does not relieve a member of his/her rights and responsibilities of Board77 membership.

(The following would go later in the Membership rights/responsibilities text.)

A member may use a secondary ID as a vehicle for light or serious RP or other obviously fictional creativity, as appropriate.

A member may wish to post extremely private/sensitive matters on our public message board using an alternate screen name. As a courtesy, the member should mention that this is a an alternate screen name and not a new person. Others should strive to protect that anonymity, but it cannot be guarranteed.

In keeping with Board77 levels of courtesy, secondary screen names may not be used to lie, injure, appear to inflate one side of an argument, spam, cast multiple votes, or carry on an extended conversation with oneself.

B77 reserves the right, through future vote of the membership, to limit or eliminate secondary IDs, if they become a routine source of abuse.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 May , 2005 7:53 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

Define spam. Depending on the definition, most of my posts are spam.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 May , 2005 8:10 pm

Thanks, laureanna. I'm glad you are still taking an interest in this process.

Though it is not entirely clear, I assume that what you are proposing is that if the committee were to choose that choice, it would override any of the restrictions on secondary forums that we would be voting on in Part II?

Is that correct?

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 May , 2005 8:12 pm
Insolent Pup

Sorry, no more posting about donuts for you, Holby. :spam:mer.

I don't have any major objections to what Laureanna posted. An exmaple of spam is posting one word at a time to make a sentence. Annoying crap like that.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 May , 2005 8:52 pm
Thanks to Holby

laureanna wrote:
I suggest adding this to Voronwe's poll, and have sent him a PM in case he does not see this posting.

Question 1:
May I say what an excellent way that was of making your suggestion! Covers all the bases. :)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 May , 2005 8:55 pm
Living in hope

I still think that secondary IDs should be declared to at least the admins on registration and disabled from voting in polls. If they are not to be identified somehow in their names or locations, they should also be restricted from posting in the business forum—people should not just have only one vote, they should also have only one voice in discussions like this one.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 May , 2005 8:56 pm
Thanks to Holby

Re Holby's comment, I would suggest 'spam self-servingly'.

I really like that text regarding secondary IDs, laureanna!

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 May , 2005 9:14 pm
Triathlete

Thank you, Cerin. After all that devil's advocacy, I wanted to post something positive.

My point all along, though it may not have been clear, is that we are bound by the same rules of civility whether we post from one screen name or several. Those who chose not to be civil will not be stopped by regulations like requiring that we sign up for a secret registry or put an asterix after our names. We must all be self regulating for the B77 community to work. The rights and responsibilities clause currently being discussed is simply our collective idea of "civil" within the context of a message board. It should apply equally to any number of names we might choose to use.

You are right, Holby, I withdraw the spam clause.

Voronwe - these are not restrictions, they are elaborations.;)

EDIT to clarify: These are not restrictions (except the one-body-one-vote limitation). I am proposing that we allow secondary IDs without specific limitations beyond those required of all civil posters. The statements I made below Item C, were simply to remind the member of ways that the secondary ID could be misused and stray from B77's overall intent.

Prim, I was hoping that "appearing to inflate one side of an argument" covered your concerns. I welcome a better wording.

EDIT again: OK, there should be something else in there as a restriction:

Question 1:

C. Members are not limited to one screen name. Posting under the guise a secondary screen name does not relieve a member of his/her rights and responsibilities of Board77 membership. Members may not use a secondary screen name to vote or to serve as jury member, admin, mayor, mediator, or other in any other official capacity. If you choose this option, skip all of Part II.

Or I suppose you could say that option C is simply option B, with only Part II question 13 affirmative and part of question 5 affirmative. Part II question 5 states that the secondary ID will be restricted from voting, which I agree with, but also restricted from posting in any forum in which there is an active poll. This is not self-regulating.

Jeez, I'm starting to sound like a Libertarian!

Last edited by laureanna on Sat 21 May , 2005 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 May , 2005 9:42 pm
Living in hope

I really don't want to be oppressive about this, but I just don't like the "no guarantees" aspect of this proposal. If I understand it correctly, you're saying that no one will know that this is a secondary ID? That we can only trust that this ID will not be used to vote in a poll? That if someone does misbehave with a secondary ID the admins will have to go on a wild goose chase after a mythical person and perhaps ban them, not knowing that the primary ID still has full access (and can vote against the secondary ID's ban, for that matter)?

What if a secondary ID serves as an admin?

I realize that if we do require secondary IDs to be declared and marked, some people will still register "hidden" secondary IDs with all the problems I've just enumerated. But I would still like the rule in place, with a penalty for just being found to have an unregistered second ID. That might deter some people. And having secondary IDs disabled from voting in polls might eliminate temptation for otherwise honest people who feel strongly about the outcome of a poll.

I'm not trying to be oppressive or suspicious. I'm not saying people with secondary IDs will do all these things, or that these precautions will protect the board from all possible abuse of secondary IDs. I just don't feel comfortable with having no protections at all. Nor do I feel comfortable with a situation where I might have a private conversation with someone in which a third party is mentioned, only to find out much later that they were the same person.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 May , 2005 9:53 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

You aren't being oppressive now, nor have you ever been oppressive.
Opinionated, yes. Oppressive, no.
Silly Prim.
And I agree with you.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 May , 2005 9:55 pm
Triathlete

Prim, I was editing while you were posting. My edits may be relevant to you.

There are no guarantees - with any option we choose.

If a person wants to be disruptive, mean-spirited, deliberately misleading, fraudulent, attacking, trolling, lying, or engage in any othere board-distructive behavior, whether under a primary name or a secondary name, s/he will do it, and s/he will be dealt with. A registry for secondary screen names will not stop such behavior.

Having secondary IDs present on the board may make people more wary, as they should be, on a public board where you really don't know who is behind that string of letters on the screen.

and might I add that I find Holby's sig pic disturbingly X-rated? :oops:

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 May , 2005 10:07 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

Quote:
and might I add that I find Holby's sig pic disturbingly X-rated?
Riddled with innuendo? Maybe.
Disturbing? Maybe.
Objectionable? Maybe.
Offensive? Maybe.
X-rated? No way.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 9 of 10  [ 194 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 16 7 8 9 10 »
Jump to: