The Last Homely Site on the Web

Mechanical Questions for Committee

Post Reply   Page 5 of 6  [ 120 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Jun , 2005 5:22 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

If the Mayor wants, the Mayor can now use a new ID and email of yahoo I just set up

mayor_b77@yahoo.com

(works for email and yahoo IM)

If you're happy with this arrangement, I'll PM the account info to a Ranger and you can then post it in sensitive info and hand it over to the Mayor.
It is of cours possible to set this account to pop-forward any messages to another email account of your choosing.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Jun , 2005 5:42 pm
WYSIWYG

Quote:
There are two forums that are not visible to non-registered members. These are: the Outside Forum where Hearings are held and interpersonal disputes between members are resolved; the Members’ Lounge where you can discuss any topic that you might not want published by the search engines which scan the web.
Isn't "moot and geek" not visible to non-registered members, too?

Great mail! :)

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Jun , 2005 6:04 pm

Also, technically speaking, "Outside" consists of three different forums, the Bike Racks, the Jury Room and the Archives. But maybe that distinction is not necessary to make.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Jun , 2005 7:14 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Hobby - yes, you're right. I'll m00t & g33k to the letter.

Voronwe - I've tried to keep the opening letter as uncomplicated as possible ... if someone is confused about exactly which forums are invisible to non-registered members, they can ask.

Alandriel - thank you! I don't think the forum itself exists yet, does it? (for some reason php has slowed to a crawl so I'm not surfing around like I usually do). The pop-forward feature is not familiar to me ... but let me go to the link and see what's there. Your honorary, temporary Mayor is a techno-midget so it may take me a few tries to use this stuff. :)

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Jun , 2005 7:17 pm

Alandriel - I clicked on that link and it opened an email TO the Mayor. So I sent an email but I don't know where to go to read it.

Obviously something else needs to be done by someone other than me.

Jn

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Jun , 2005 7:22 pm

Hobby - I just saw your question in Forum Management. If you're going to update the charter links in the Jury Room and Bike Rack stickies, put in links to the geocities copy of the charter.

If people are at a Hearing, they need to see the full articles and not just the summary, so that should be the geocities site.

Jn

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Jun , 2005 8:40 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Jny: I first wanted to check IF you want to use the yahoo account before I let go of the goodies like passwords etc.

You'll get a PM shortly :D

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Jun , 2005 8:56 pm
WYSIWYG

Jnyusa wrote:
Hobby - I just saw your question in Forum Management. If you're going to update the charter links in the Jury Room and Bike Rack stickies, put in links to the geocities copy of the charter.

If people are at a Hearing, they need to see the full articles and not just the summary, so that should be the geocities site.

Jn
Thanks, Jny! :)

And I think pop-forward means you can set an e-mail address to which the mails to the mayor-address are forwarded, so you won't have to log in to yahoo to check the mails, but collect them all in your normal e-mail inbox.
I also think it means it's not a free account? :Q
(Because with my free account I can't forward mails, I think. Or have I been missing this feature all the time?)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 25 Jun , 2005 5:22 pm
Living in hope

Question for Jn—If members are going to be able to post in Michel Delving, should it be moved up to the Outside forum along with the Jury Room and BikeRacks? Or another place? Or at least to the top of Forum Administration?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 25 Jun , 2005 6:01 pm

Prim: Question for Jn—If members are going to be able to post in Michel Delving, should it be moved up to the Outside forum along with the Jury Room and BikeRacks? Or another place? Or at least to the top of Forum Administration?

I filled the forum this morning, Prim, and I really have no preference at all as to where it should go. It could go just about anywhere - even in the Welcome forum, imo .... not in the arts forum, though. :P

Since it is the Rangers who will be using the Form Letters, it might be more convenient for you to have it where it is now - in forum management. But I don't know if that's the most convenient place for members, and it might lead to a lot of people trying to post in Forum Management. "Outside" is a bit more logical from the permissions point of view, but then, we have the History Forum which is read only up in Welcome, and only the Bike Racks here is read and write .... so I think it really doesn't matter. I did put into the Announcement at the top of the forum that people can post there.

Alandriel - the email address worked fine, and I used it to register the Mayor. I've got to talk to the Rangers about how they want to do the sharing of that email -- I think it's good if both Rangers and the Mayor can use the email, but there's no rush on that because anyone who registers starting on Monday will get their welcome email at the end of the week.

Jn

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 25 Jun , 2005 6:19 pm
Living in hope

I'll bring it up with the other Rangers, then. Thanks.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Jul , 2005 2:55 pm

Friends, I am resigning from the committee, effective immediately. I am not leaving board77, but I may not be around much for a while.

I greatly appreciate all of the effort that all of you have put into this process. Thanks to all the committee members, past and present (and, future, hopefully).

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Jul , 2005 3:02 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Ugh........I was afraid of this. :(

Do not let one person steer you from a course you know is right Voronwe. You know you've done some wonderful things for this board. I know I won't be the first person to affirm this.

You can't please everyone all of the time.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Jul , 2005 6:06 pm

Thanks, Eru. I have reconsidered this and have decided to stick with the convention until the Charter is completed. Although my primary goal was to help get to a point where we could safely open, and that goal has been achieved, I find that I can not blithely abandon the process when we are so close to completing it.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Jul , 2005 7:35 pm

Huge sigh of relief.

Thank you so much, Voronwe. You want to be there when we close the book and stamp the name on the front of it! That's the reward, and you deserve it.

Jn

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Jul , 2005 8:38 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Ack!!! I didn't see this. And now I've already posted somewhere else I won't be sneaking out on the 6th as I originally thought I might and now can eat my words.

The good thing is Voronwe remains and I can now blame you which gives me great satisfaction

:D ;)

apologies if my humour seems semi-black or odd - I hope you can bear with me for a short while longer ;) If not, then throw me out :blackeye
:D

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Jul , 2005 11:09 pm
Try to stay perky

I know I've been largely absent during this unexpected crisis - apologies but I've been dealing with an emotional load elsewhere (seems to be a year of crises!)

Vinnie, you know you have my ongoing (albeit quiet) support, as does Jn. Eru, thank you for stepping in to assist when others would rather not get involved. Alandriel, your ability to persevere when the going gets tough and your willingness to sacrifice family time is beyond the call of duty and very appreciated.

Nin (if you should be reading this) I wish that I could help you. I will PM you my phone number; feel free to call me at any time (and I know that is a costly exercise from Europe but I would happily call you also if I could be sure I was calling at a convenient time for you).

If I may make one comment: it is distressing and a little frightening to feel that things may be crumbling, but it is a natural cycle of construction/deconstruction/construction. It happens in life as well as on MBs but on MBs the cycle occurs much more quickly - just as internet life proceeds much more quickly. It will pass.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Jul , 2005 11:18 pm

Alandriel wrote:
Ack!!! I didn't see this. And now I've already posted somewhere else I won't be sneaking out on the 6th as I originally thought I might and now can eat my words.

The good thing is Voronwe remains and I can now blame you which gives me great satisfaction

:D ;)

apologies if my humour seems semi-black or odd - I hope you can bear with me for a short while longer ;) If not, then throw me out :blackeye
:D
Just try escaping, woman. :Wooper:

Impy, :hug:

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 12:54 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Impenitent wrote:
If I may make one comment: it is distressing and a little frightening to feel that things may be crumbling, but it is a natural cycle of construction/deconstruction/construction. It happens in life as well as on MBs but on MBs the cycle occurs much more quickly - just as internet life proceeds much more quickly. It will pass.
Distressed one here!

I hope we weather this latest little crisis well and that we don't lose more folks. We need people to stay and try to work through things. I hope this will pass quickly.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Jul , 2005 5:11 pm
Living in hope

I'm just posting here to say that I'll be away from the boards from tomorrow morning until Thursday night—going away to celebrate our 25th at a nice hotel in Portland :love: including a day at Powell's Books :love: and similar scandalous pleasures. I'll check in as soon as I get back in case there are votes going on, but obviously don't hold anything up for me.

And I want to belatedly thank Voronwë for sticking around to see this through—I knew he'd left the committee and then changed his mind, but I hadn't read this thread until now. You da man! :love:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 6  [ 120 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: