Mechanical Questions for Committee

Post Reply   Page 4 of 6  [ 120 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 1:19 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

Voronwe -

I see there were some questions addressed to me in Forum Management.

I did not want to open Michel Delving until next weekend because it seemed presumptuous to me to open it too far in advance of ratification.

My understanding was that php automatically sends a registration email to new members when their registration is activated, so my thinking was that the Mayor would do a once-a-week 'greeting' to all members who had registered during the previous week.

It is my intention to post that greeting in Michel Delving so that Rangers can just copy it and send it to the list, which wouldn't have to be done until the July 4 weekend for the first batch of newcomers. But I understand you may want to review the text and make sure it contains everything it has to.

What I've got right now is a list of 'official' emails needed. I haven't actually written them yet. (ha-ha) But I'll try to do that before going to bed tonight - at least the first one! - and post it here either late tonight or early tomorrow morning for review.

Regarding that actual moment when we start activating the hoverers ... the last ratification vote ends at 11:59 pm GMT on Sunday, June 26. That's early to mid-evening for us US folks, and I wouldn't commit to opening at the crack of dawn in Europe on the 27th unless you want to stay up all Sunday night moving threads and checking that everything is completed.

I didn't follow the precise availability of everyone on Monday the 27th, but my advise would be to pick a mid-day time, perhaps early evening in Europe and early to late afternoon here.

Do you expect me to stand at the door while that's happening? Or were you referring to my presence on July 6 when you said I would "preside" over something?

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 1:32 am

Jn, I think, for the people that have previously registered and are going to finally be let in the doors on June 27, we need to do a personal email to them right away and not just rely on the dry registration email that php automatically sends out.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 2:10 am

Do you want to send that out before we actually open? Or the instant that we open or what?

Jm

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 2:51 am

I want to send it to each person who has previously registered and has not been allowed to enter as soon as their account has been validated. It doesn't necessarily need to be the official Mayor's initial greeting email. It could be as simple as:
Quote:
Dear so-and-so:

We are happy to inform you that board77 is now open to the public. We have have now validated your registration and you are free to read and post on the board. We thank you for your patience and greatly look forward to your joining our community.

Sincerely,
Primula_Baggins
board77 Ranger (admin)
I think that since we wrote to them before and said they couldn't get in yet, it would be the courteous thing to do to write to them personally and welcome them.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 3:06 am
Living in hope

I think that's a good idea.

They could still receive the Mayor's official welcome email when everybody else does. But these people have been asked to wait and have waited.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Faramond
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 3:21 am
Digger

On the subject of replacing Admin with Ranger in all official documents, I've checked and updated the Charter as it is now and the Ranger Handbook.

I'm investigating other stuff right now.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 4:40 am

Voronwe - Ah! I see. The note you have in your post seems very nice to me, and actually, I don't think this is quite the moment for informing them about all their eligibilities. Better to offer that personal welcome, and then cue them in on eligibilities after the week has passed.

That's just imo. The Mayor's letter I have in mind is intended to be informative, not merely courteous. And I think that what these people need after hovering for months is mainly courtesy rather than information.

Jn

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 9:33 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Faramond wrote:
On the subject of replacing Admin with Ranger in all official documents, I've checked and updated the Charter as it is now and the Ranger Handbook.
Where have you updated it Faramond? Sorry... confused about that. I did not get an email from you and so this morning I'm running the Charter through Word and will update the geocities pages accordingly.

1) References to Administrator pannel: that wording needs to stay the same for it is a generic term here on phpbb which we cannot change. A link to Administrator pannel appears at the bottom of the forum front page to those that have Administrator privileges only. Once we move to our own site, this is yet another setting that we probably can customize... but not here.

2) The main-header of Board Administration should simply be changed to Board Management. I will update the Charter accordingly. (I don't think there will be opposition and if there is I'll just change it again, no problem). Rangers - please rename this.

3) The thread Admin FAQ can simply be changed to read Ranger FAQ and as you can see I've done the edit already. However, I would really appreciate if this thread could be re-launched with the Administrator ID so that if edits and addition become necessary (and a revision probably in any case) any one Admin can do so without feeling awkward about editing another Rangers (or in this case ex-Rangers) post.
I will update the Charter accordingly but not link to the thread since it will remain a sticky and so clearly visible.

4) The sub-forum Sensitive Admin Information should as suggested be simply renamed Sensitive Information. I'll update any references of the Charter accordingly on geocities. Rangers, please make the edit.

... and I second Jny's opinion: Better to offer that personal welcome, and then cue them in on eligibilities after the week has passed.
:)

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 11:09 am
WYSIWYG

Quote:
Regarding that actual moment when we start activating the hoverers ... the last ratification vote ends at 11:59 pm GMT on Sunday, June 26. That's early to mid-evening for us US folks, and I wouldn't commit to opening at the crack of dawn in Europe on the 27th unless you want to stay up all Sunday night moving threads and checking that everything is completed.

I didn't follow the precise availability of everyone on Monday the 27th, but my advise would be to pick a mid-day time, perhaps early evening in Europe and early to late afternoon here.
I think on the whole it doesn't make a great difference - if we take a time during day, people will have to drop out to do some work, if we take a time at night, people might have to drop out to go to bed.
Basically, it seems that Voronwe, Prim, Alandriel and I are all available on Monday 0:00 GMT. I can't tell how much work there'll be, but so far, I don't really imagine it to take hours and hours of continual presence.
There are the buttons for opening to be pushed and a dozen or so people to activate. After that, I think, it's just wait and see if anything happens, no?

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 11:41 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

It should not take hours and hours of continual presence - I certainly hope not at midnight GMT on a Sunday/Monday ;) . As Voronwe continues to reassure me, we'll be ready :D

... the geocities pages are :D :D

- I've replaced Administrator with Ranger through-out (except in a few cases where it would not make sense to do so

- the handbooks are also uploaded and the links are
Jury, Mediator & Loremaster Handbook / Rangers handbook
Based on Jny's text in the two seperate threads in the Jury room and in accordance with her latest edits. There are future updates to be done and suggestions for that (editing notes) appear in pink on the geocities pages.

If you have spare time and would like to help in the process of proofing, then please post your comments over at Constitution documents over at geocities thread naming the page of error and in which section. That will help me greatly with keeping it updated. There are some cross-linking problems and I will get to that just as soon as may be.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 2:27 pm

Jnyusa wrote:
Voronwe - Ah! I see. The note you have in your post seems very nice to me, and actually, I don't think this is quite the moment for informing them about all their eligibilities. Better to offer that personal welcome, and then cue them in on eligibilities after the week has passed.

That's just imo. The Mayor's letter I have in mind is intended to be informative, not merely courteous. And I think that what these people need after hovering for months is mainly courtesy rather than information.

Jn
I agree. :)

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 4:49 pm

In the thread in this forum:

References to Administrator pannel

I did change this to Ranger Panel, but I'll change it back

The thread Admin FAQ can simply be changed to read Ranger FAQ

So named.

The sub-forum Sensitive Admin Information

It turned out that this reference was to Forum Management, not to the Sensitive Admin Information, so I called it Forum Management instead of the Administrator Forum.

I'll compare what's here to the geocities site a bit later, Alandriel. I'm getting a bit bogged down myself.

New post contains the Greeting letter from the Mayor, which I wrote last night. This is NOT the 'hello' letter that will go out to those who are waiting, but something that will be sent out on a weekly basis to all who registered during the week.

Jn

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 4:51 pm

Mayor's Greeting to New Members. I'll fill in the links when all of them are available - there's still some editing and creation and moving around going on. Please suggest modifications if anything does not appeal to you.

Welcome to board77! I hope you will enjoy reading and posting in our forums.

Board77 is a member-moderated board. After you have been with us for a while you will be eligible to participate in our governance. This email contains information about your eligibilities and how to activate them. This email also contains information about our age-restricted forum and those forums that are invisible to non-registered members.

I would like to direct you first to your Member Rights and Responsibilities posted HERE.

MAYOR'S FORUM LINK

Second, we have a Charter that contains our mission, principles, by-laws and plans for the future. You can read a summary of the Charter HERE.

MAYOR'S FORUM LINK

The full Charter can be read or downloaded HERE.

GEOCITIES LINK

After you have been with us for three months and have made 100 posts, you will be eligible to serve as a juror and mediator. Board77 does not ban or restrict the access of members without giving them a Hearing, and our jurors listen to both sides of each case and make these decisions. Mediators help members resolve interpersonal disputes. Shortly before you become eligible for the jury pool, you will receive an email asking whether you are interested in serving the board in this capacity. Meanwhile, everything you need to know about jury duty and mediation can be found in our Handbook for Jurors, Mediators and Loremasters.

GEOCITIES LINK

After you have been with us for six months with a visible, contributory posting presence on our board, you will be eligible to serve as a Ranger. Rangers are our administrators. We have no moderators on Board77. You will receive an email shortly in advance of your eligibility asking if you would like to train as a Ranger. Meanwhile, everything you need to know about administration of the board can be found in our Handbook for Rangers.

GEOCITIES LINK

As soon as you registered you became entitled to vote on all issues that affect the board. Even if you are not interested in serving as a Ranger or juror, we hope that you will participate in all votes as a full-fledged member of our community.

We have one age-restricted forum, called “Thinking of England.”
Topics that are not suitable for children are allowed in this forum, and you must be 18 years of age or older to participate. Because of the personal nature of some conversations, we ask that you wait until you have been on the board three months and have 100 posts before joining the forum. There are other courtesies that fellow-members ask of you while posting there. These are explained in the ‘sticky’ welcome thread at the top of the forum and can also be read HERE.

GEOCITIES LINK

Once you meet the eligibility requirements, you may PM or email a Ranger and ask to have your permissions enabled for that forum.

There are three forums that are not visible to non-registered members. These are: the Outside Forum where Hearings are held and interpersonal disputes between members are resolved; M00t and Geek where real life events are planned; and the Members’ Lounge where you can discuss any topic that you might not want published by the search engines which scan the web.

There is one forum that is not visible to registered members on a routine basis. This is the Sensitive Information Forum used by the Rangers and the Mayor for storing or discussing private matters such as the permissions of individual members. However, all members have opportunity to serve as Rangers and while you are a Ranger this forum will be visible to you. Forum Management, in which Rangers conduct daily business, is routinely visible to all registered members.

Board77 is very proud of its member governance and we hope you will find it interesting and fulfilling to be a member of our community.

With best wishes,
Jnyusa, Honorary Mayor

Last edited by Jnyusa on Sat 25 Jun , 2005 1:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 8:11 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Looks great :D

one minor thing though Jny

Re text for Toe
Quote:
There are other courtesies that fellow-members ask of you while posting there, and these are explained in the ‘sticky’ welcome thread at the top of the forum.
A reference there to a sticky in the ToE that's only accessible to already approved members won't really work, aye? ;)

Can you make a reference to the page on geocities instead where the text also will appear once ready? The link to that is:
http://uk.geocities.com/b77_ad/Extra/ToE.htm

:)

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 9:09 pm

Alandriel,

I was not going to give them the TOE link, just alert them that there are additional requirements which they'll see when they get there, but of course it makes much more sense to give them the geocities link. I'll add it in now.

Jn

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Jun , 2005 12:27 am
Try to stay perky

The revised text of that Sticky is even now under discussion in ToE. I've advised that I'll leave it open until the weekend for further feedback (hasn't been much) and then close down the thread and PM the final text to Jn and/or Rangers for use.

A form letter will probably be prepared for use of the Rangers to send out to all new ToE applicants which will include that Sticky note text, as all ToE applicants are required to confirm that they agree to abide by those guidelines before their permissions are turned on.

Of course, the first new applicant won't be eligible for 3 months so there's no hurry for the preparation of that letter, but do you want me to prepare it? Or shall we wait?

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Jun , 2005 4:30 am

Imp,

If you prepare it now, I'll stick it in Michel Delving with the other 'form letters' when that forum is opened next weekend.

Jn

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Jun , 2005 5:07 am
Try to stay perky

Okeydoke. I'll do it tonight.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Jun , 2005 3:39 pm

People, I'm working on the sticky posts for Michel Delving today and realized that there are things I don't know about these universal screen names.

First - what are you going to call the Mayor screen name?
Mayor
MAYOR
MAYORof Bd77
MAYORofB77
MAYORofBoard77
Mayor_B77
MAYOR_B77 etc.

Second - Rangers have a way of creating the screen name without it being linked to an individual's email account, right? I thought for a moment, while thinking about this, that I would just register and give you the password I used, but then the mayor will forever have my email address and I'll know the secret question and answer that gets me the current password, etc. and we don't want that.

How will you create the name, and how will I get my grubby hands on it? :D

Third - I don't care where Michel Delving is, but do you know yet where you're going to put it?

Jn

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Jun , 2005 3:44 pm
Living in hope

You can have spaces here. "Mayor of board77"?

Or just "Mayor."

As for the Mayor's email, maybe one of us could create a Yahoo address for the Mayor to use, and just as with Rangers the password could change with each change of Mayor.

The Mayor's screen name could then be registered using that address.

(she said helpfully, suggesting work for other people and vanishing for the morning as is her wont)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 6  [ 120 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: