VOTE OVER: Members Rights & Responsibilies

Post Reply   Page 3 of 5  [ 99 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 24 May , 2005 1:54 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Voronwe -

In the Penalties thread, Din has asked that more specifications be made for the RP forum - the most important of his points boil down to following the instructions of the story originator. (I am not going to put text about the OOC threads, etc. in the Charter. Those can be stickies within the forum itself.)

But I added a phrase to incorporate his idea, and I'll ask you to paste it as a replacement for what's there now, if no one objects.

11. To role-play within the guidelines set by the story originator, and in a way that does not prevent other characters from participating or unnecessarily stifle the creative options of other posters.

I'm not sure I understood Cerin's suggestion, now that you've described the change that you made. I have to look at that and come back.

Jn

Edits:

(1) IMPORTANT. In question #2, you've eliminated the text (Clause 4) to which the question refers. That has to go back in or people won't know what they're voting for.

And could we remove all of the following from those question instructions:
[Your choice here is to indicate if you want this right to appear in this (the enforceable rights) section. You will also vote below, to indicate whether you want this right to appear in the unenforceable section. You may vote to include this right in both sections, or you may vote to exclude it from both sections.]

They can see what they're choosing. This makes it harder to understand, imo, instead of easier.

(2) OK, now I understand Cerin's suggestion and what you did with it. Having those two choices is fine with me.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 24 May , 2005 2:31 pm

Quote:
11. To role-play within the guidelines set by the story originator, and in a way that does not prevent other characters from participating or unnecessarily stifle the creative options of other posters.
Done.
Quote:
(1) IMPORTANT. In question #2, you've eliminated the text (Clause 4) to which the question refers. That has to go back in or people won't know what they're voting for.
Done.
Quote:
[Your choice here is to indicate if you want this right to appear in this (the enforceable rights) section. You will also vote below, to indicate whether you want this right to appear in the unenforceable section. You may vote to include this right in both sections, or you may vote to exclude it from both sections.]

They can see what they're choosing. This makes it harder to understand, imo, instead of easier.
I've done this one too, but with some trepidation. If anyone objects, I'll consider adding it back in.

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 24 May , 2005 2:49 pm
Thanks to Holby

Voronwe and Jn, I think you have both raised excellent points regarding my suggestion for changing the structure of ¶2 (by the way, how do you get this paragraph symbol? I can't find it on my keyboard.)

I would not object to withdrawing my suggestion (rather than putting it to a vote).

I also support this suggestion of Jn's.

I find the directions less confusing without the extra explanation.

Jn, I can't figure out what this comment of yours was referring to (but since you've said it's resolved, perhaps it doesn't matter):

I'm not sure I understood Cerin's suggestion, now that you've described the change that you made. I have to look at that and come back.

I like the change made that Din requested.

Good catch, V, on No. 10 (and in Question 5), adding "upon request." I knew there was something bothering me about that!

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 24 May , 2005 3:13 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

I can't figure out what this comment of yours was referring to

I thought at first you had also divided into into Rights and Responsibilities, so when Voronwe said he was adding Responsibilities, I got confused. But I understand it now. :)

I would like the opportunity to vote in favor of your structure.

The paragraph symbol on my keyboard - hold down the option key and type a 7.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 24 May , 2005 3:20 pm
Thanks to Holby

Regarding the vote set-up text for Question 8

Question 8: Concerning 21. The right to post free of disruptions caused by the personal disputes of others; and the right to address a personal dispute with another member in the Bike Racks forum if the other member agrees. You are also entitled to mediation. It is your responsibility to resolve your own personal disputes in a productive fashion, and not to interfere with other members who are doing the same.

A. I do not want this clause to appear in the Charter in this section.

B. I want the blue text only to appear in this section, without the opening sentence shown in green.

C. I want both the opening text shown in green and the rest of the text shown in blue to appear in this section.

At first I was going to suggest just eliminating the words 'in the Charter', as I think they are unnecessary. Then I thought it would be preferrable to have this wording match that of Question 4 above. Then I thought of an improvement to the vote set-up text of Question 4 as well (replacing 'listed' with 'included'), thus my suggestion for Question 8:

A. I do not want this clause to be included here (under unenforceable rights).

B. I want the blue text only to be included in this section, without the opening sentence shown in green.

C. I want both the opening text shown in green and the rest of the text shown in blue to be included in this section.

And note then that the Question 4 vote set-up text should be changed to 'included' also (if you approve)

Edit

The paragraph symbol on my keyboard - hold down the option key and type a 7.

Thanks, Jn. I don't seem to have an 'option' key (the nerve!).

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 24 May , 2005 3:40 pm
Living in hope

¶

Try "Alt." Jn and I have those weird Mac things. ;) But on my Mac the option key is also labeled "alt."

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 24 May , 2005 3:44 pm
Thanks to Holby

Hey, I'm a Mac person from way back. But for our latest upgrade, we gave in and bought a Windows PC. :bawl:

(The alt key does nothing.) :D

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 24 May , 2005 3:48 pm
Living in hope

See what happens when you stray from the righteous path? :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 24 May , 2005 3:50 pm

Cerin, I have made the changes to questions 2 (not 4) and 8.
Quote:
Thanks, Jn. I don't seem to have an 'option' key (the nerve!).
Its a Mac thing. There's some alt-# combination that does it in windows, but I don't know what it is. I usually just copy it from WordPerfect (or from someone else's post). I bet someone (probably Prim) can tell you what the code is.

Quote:
I would like the opportunity to vote in favor of your structure.
And I would like an opportunity to vote in favor of my structure, even if I am the only one who does so. :P

Profile Quote
IdylleSeethes
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 24 May , 2005 6:33 pm

For us sinners,

This site requires the actual codes instead of the names for symbols.

The form is:

&#N;

where N is the numeric code of the symbol.

182 is the paragraph symbol
167 is the section symbol

" Regular quotes " (34)
& Ampersand & (38)
– en-dash – (150)
— em-dash — (151)
â„¢ Trademark symbol ™ (153)
§ Section Symbol § (167)
© Copyright symbol © (169)
® Registered symbol ® (174)
¶ Paragraph symbol ¶ (182)
· Medium List Dot · (183)

Editted for reorganization

Last edited by IdylleSeethes on Tue 24 May , 2005 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Idylle in exile: the view over the laptop on a bad day
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 24 May , 2005 6:54 pm
Thanks to Holby

&182N
&167N
&38N
&169N

Edit

I don't appear to be getting the hang of it. :D

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 24 May , 2005 6:56 pm
Living in hope

I've got two-stroke keyboard codes for all those, so I'm no help.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
IdylleSeethes
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 24 May , 2005 7:03 pm

Replace the "N" with ";"

If you remove all of the spaces from the line below, it will work.

& # 1 8 2 ;

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 24 May , 2005 7:11 pm
Thanks to Holby

Eureka!

Thanks, Idylle!!! :D

Profile Quote
IdylleSeethes
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 24 May , 2005 7:25 pm

Cerin,

You are welcome.

I think it was a mistake to give her more ways to work with words.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 25 May , 2005 6:59 am

Voting is now open.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 25 May , 2005 7:12 am

Question 1:
A. I approve the opening text

Question 2:
A. I want this right to be included here (under enforceable rights).

Question 3:
A. I want this clause to appear in the Charter. .

Question 4:
A. I approve of all the remaining clauses

Question 5:
#1= A
#2= C
#3= B
#4= D

Question 6:
A. I approve all of the other clauses

Question 7:
A. I want the title to include both the text in red and the text in blue.

Question 8:

#1= B
#2= C
#3= A

Question 9:

Question 10:
B. I prefer the second structure with the unenforceable rights and responsibilies separated into separate sub-sections.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 25 May , 2005 9:30 am
of Vinyamar

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 3:
A. I want this clause to appear in the Charter.

Question 4:

Question 5:
#1= A
#2= C
#3= B
#4= D

Question 6:

Question 7:
B. I want the title to include the text in red but not the text in blue.

Question 8:
#1= A
#2= C
#3= B

Question 9:

Question 10:
A. I prefer the first structure with the unenforceable rights and responsibilies combined in the same paragraphs.

Wow. That was difficult and complicated! I hope it's the last one that's so tricky!

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 25 May , 2005 1:24 pm
Living in hope

Question 1:
Article 2: Member Rights and Responsibilities

Question 2:

Question 3:
A. I want this clause to appear in the Charter.

Question 4:

Question 5:
#1= A
#2= C
#3= B
#4= D

Question 6:

Question 7:
A. I want the title to include both the text in red and the text in blue.

Question 8:
#1= B
#2= C
#3= A

Question 9: Concerning the other clauses in ¶2:

Question 10:
B. I prefer the second structure with the unenforceable rights and responsibilies separated into separate sub-sections.

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject: Re: VOTING OPEN: Members Rights & Responsibilies
Posted: Wed 25 May , 2005 1:29 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Question 1:

Question2:
B. I do not want this right to be included here (under enforceable rights).

Question 3:
I abstain

Question 4:

PLEASE READ THE TEXT OF ¶1, B. Responsibilities below, and answer the question that follow.

B. You have the Responsibility:

9. To provide a valid email address and to state truthfully your age for board access or entry into any forum with age restrictions.

10. To refrain from personal attacks or intentional insults that target another member's nationality, ethnicity, religion, native language, gender, age or sexual orientation, to remove any unintentional insults of this nature upon request, and to refrain from using a foreign language to conceal insults of this nature.

12. To post prudently in the Thinking of England forum and not expose yourself to unnecessary harm. That forum should be free of ridicule, provocation, or demeaning posts and you should report violations to the administrators. You must also refrain from maliciously spreading information posted by others in that forum.

13. To keep your posts free of gratuitous advertising, spam that would annoy any reasonable person, and pictures that would disgust or dismay any reasonable person.

14. To refrain from inflicting damage on the board or the internet access of its members, either deliberately or through negligence, by hacking or introducing viruses.

15. To refrain from using PM capability to harrass other members of the board.

16. To refrain from soliciting or encouraging the participation of members in illegal activities; but this does not impinge on your right to speak
freely about the shortcomings, ethical or practical, of any given law.

17. To refrain from threatening real life violence or other criminal acts against other members.

Question 5:
#1= A
#2= D
#3= B
#4= C

Question 6:

PLEASE READ THE TEXT OF ¶2 below, and answer the questions that follow.

¶2: Rights and responsibilities that rest on the determination of all members to keep Board77 a pleasant place for all to post but are not enforceable by procedures and penalties outlined in the Charter.

You have the right:

18. To be treated with courtesy and respect by all posters regardless of their status and the responsibility to treat others likewise.

19. To express your thoughts on any topic, as long as you post with respect, forbearance and consideration for the context, the feelings of others, the value of contrasting viewpoints, and without making personal attacks against other posters.

20. To use adult language that is generally acceptable in written media or adult conversation, along with the responsibility to refrain from unnecessary cursing or obscenities. We encourage everyone to use language that is clear and contributory (not spam or netspeak) without our having to restrict the expressions that are generally found in adult conversation.

21. To post free of disruptions caused by the personal disputes of others; and the right to address a personal dispute with another member in the Bike Racks forum if the other member agrees. You are also entitled to mediation. It is your responsibility to resolve your own personal disputes in a productive fashion, and not to interfere with other members who are doing the same.

22. To serve as an administrator, mediator or juror and to run for elected office. It is also your responsibility to participate in the governance of the board whether simply by voting when a quorum is needed, or by serving in some official capacity.

Question 7:
B. I want the title to include the text in red but not the text in blue.

Question 8:
#1=B
#2=C
#3=A

Question 9:

Question 10:
A. I prefer the first structure with the unenforceable rights and responsibilies combined in the same paragraphs.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 5  [ 99 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: