board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

DISCUSSION: Read Only Forums for Non-Members

Post Reply   Page 7 of 7  [ 132 posts ]
Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 7
What do you think would be the fairest way to resolve the question of which forums should be readable by non-members when we open?
A separate poll should be held in each forum other then the ToE, Outside, and Board Administration Forums, which would not be readable by non-members.

73% [ 16 ]
A single ballot should be be devised to determine exactly which forums, if any, should be readable by non-members.

14% [ 3 ]
Two concurrent polls should run, one to determine whether any forums should be readable by non-members, and the other to determine which was would be readable if any are allowed.

9% [ 2 ]
Some other method (please describe)

5% [ 1 ]
Total votes: 22
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 31 May , 2005 6:45 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

Fine.
Hide it don't hide. Talk about it don't talk about it.
Whatever.
Call them admins, sherriffs, rangers.
Ban people don't ban people.
Hide TOE don't hide TOE.
Open forums close forums.
Whatever.
This is all way too complicated for me and way too much effort.
I have been bumping heads for months now over all of these issues, and you know what? My head hurts.
Whatever everyone wants to do is fine with me.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 31 May , 2005 6:51 am
Living in hope

[edited]

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 31 May , 2005 6:52 am
Insolent Pup

It's certainly not some big mystery that a whole bunch of members here dislike the actions or certain people at TORC.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 31 May , 2005 7:00 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

Well ... I've googled my way to lots of messageboards that did not allow you to read anything unless you first registered.

I never register at places like that because, as others have said here, I want to see what it's about before I bother registering.

To me it seemed, when the discussion about this first started, that it was less about TORC than about having some spaces within this MB that were closed to the googlebots. I can't think why that would be wrong as a matter of principle. It's not as if anything will be closed to the members themselves unless they're <18.

And, to tell you the truth, I've always thought that people who imagine others talking behind their back all the time were a little bit crazy. I would never design a system around that kind of personality.

And just by the way, Holby, don't tell me you didn't love Ranger Babez. I'm so rarely funny these days, I thought the whole discussion was worth that one post from me. :D

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 31 May , 2005 7:09 am
Living in hope

That was my point, Jn. TORC was a side issue but, as so often happens, it became THE issue.

Let us by all means forbid all mention of the messageboard hereafter to be called only That Place and only mentioned with a :) smilie.

I still would like to have one forum that is open to any topic (whoops, except TORC) where the bots don't go.

And for the record, I liked Ranger Babez. I laughed. A lot.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Angbasdil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 31 May , 2005 9:30 am
The man, the myth, the monkey

Okay Frelga. You've convinced me.
Making the Members' Lounge for voting members only was a bad idea.

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 31 May , 2005 1:56 pm
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

<sigh>

Okay, so who wants to talk about sex, alcohol, and/or religion?

:)

Guys, I think you're ALL right. Again.

We really don't want to make b77 just a big anti-TORC bitch session. We don't want to be "seen", rightly or wrongly, as having these big secret dark meetings where we all wear funny hats (decorated with that weird bug symbol of TORC's with a circle and slash on it, maybe), burning smelly fires where we pitch in our TORC pins, and chanting "Down with TORC! Down with Those whose Toes the Toads have Licked!"

As it turns out, we don't do much of that right now. We have a perfectly good thread to vent in about all our TORC issues, and I'm not sure the last time I saw it bumped. I think we are collectively healing; even here on our "closed and safe" <yea, right> board, the level of pain has diminished amazingly.

The fact is, whatever we said about TORC in the past was "open". As we well know, the juicier facts got out, very quickly, carefully edited to remove any pesky "context" which might have mitigated the impact, and were sent directly to the ears of those who would be the most wounded by them. All from our "closed and safe" <yea, right> board.

Anything we say in Turf, or in a VERY slightly private "Members' Lounge", or hell, even in emails, can be copied, pasted, and sent to a dozen people in a New York minute. I think we all know that.

So the talk of TORC, in whatever level of intensity, in whichever thread/fora/etc., is rather a moot point and should not even be considered when discussing the Members' Lounge idea. IMHO.

I think the whole idea here is a concern about freedom.

Freedom to be candid with the other members of a board which many of us have come to consider as family.

Freedom to say dumb things if we want to, and to take our lumps if we deserve them, without some mod swooping down to clunk us on the head for having such unholy thoughts.

Freedom to just type away, without wondering how many of our words will be googled forever by people who have no idea who we are, or why we might be feeling the way we do.

Anyone who wants to take the two minutes it would take to register will be joining right in there with us, if they would like. They would have the freedom to take that step. No one is proposing restricting access to the Members' Lounge (unless Ang is?); I would disagree with that idea.

You folks are all wonderful, btw... I am grateful for all the time and effort you have all put into this policy stuff. We are giving birth to this messageboard, and labor is exhausting and seemingly endless whilst one is experiencing it. Strangely, however, all that pain seems worth it when the birth finally takes place. I truly believe we will be glad that we went through all this, someday VERY soon.

:grouphug:

P.S. jn, just read the Ranger Babez comments. :LMAO:

Edit: For better grammar

Last edited by Anthriel on Tue 31 May , 2005 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 31 May , 2005 3:00 pm
WYSIWYG

Athrabeth wrote:
This board is the sum total of ALL its posters and ALL its forums, and the bigger and more open that picture is for potential members, the more accurate and informed their impressions, and hopefully, the more thoughtfully considered their choice to join or not to join.
That was beautifully said, Ath!
(And she likes salt and vinegar crisps, too! :love: )

I like the idea of the member lounge, though.

Even though I still don't quite understand the problem with the google bots, I think that's an excellent compromise between having everything readable and protecting the privacy of some issues.

If the forum is readable as soon as someone has registered, it couldn't be said we are excluding anyone.
As to using such a forum to be cliquey in there, I think we should just make very sure that only threads go in there which belong there!
It's quite well known, I think, that I'm not normally for adminly overseeing of things, but this I think would be a case which needed some overseeing. Just like a thread that belongs into ToE but was posted somewhere else would be moved to where it belongs, any thread that would be posted in the members lounge without belonging there, would have to be moved out of it.

I couldn't make up my mind right now where TORC stuff should be put, but I think it's fine for personal stuff. The way I see it, asking advice about a divorce for example, or about adoption, or the thread on little Fabian might be seen as meriting some protection. Real life meetings or swapping collectibles or other things involving private info, like in rowanberry's example, could also go there, if posters wished to have some protection on this info. Posters would of course still be free to start such a thread and post about such topics publicly, if they wish, but the forum would be there if they chose. However, if a thread in the member's lounge were just chatty and contained no sensitive matter, it would be moved to the public areas!

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Angbasdil
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 1:16 am
The man, the myth, the monkey

Anthy wrote:
No one is proposing restricting access to the Members' Lounge (unless Ang is?)
Nope.
Ang ain't.
It was a bad idea; please forget I brought it up.

I probably shouldn't have drank all that NyQuil right before I posted.

Profile Quote
Rowanberry
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 3:49 pm
Can never be buggered at all

I voted for separate polls; it would be the most simple and clear method, if multiple choice polls aren't possible.

The idea of a "Member's Lounge" readable for members only sounds good to me, if I've understood the idea correctly: a subforum for discussing the more personal matters that now are part of the Symposium. That way, all the other Symposium stuff could be visible to anyone.

Truehobbit, the thing with googlebots is that, if I for example search for the keyword "rowanberry", I get every single post I've ever made on readable-to-all messageboards where I've used that screen name, among recipes for rowanberry jam and other unrelated stuff. But, the bots can't search forums readable for registered members only.

People, you and me, are not trusted. The right doesn't like us because we don't do what we're told by our betters, and the left doesn't like us because it secretly thinks we would be on the right given half a chance and a lottery win. And both think we should not make our own decisions, because we might make the wrong ones. ~ Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 6:39 pm

The results of this poll are abundantly clear. I will begin polls in the relevant forums in a couple of days.

*click*

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 7:09 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Voronwe, now that this is done, could we lock this thread to get things out of the way as we realize they are finished? Thank you. :)

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 7 of 7  [ 132 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 7
Jump to: