The Last Homely Site on the Web

VOTE OVER: Office of the Mayor

Post Reply   Page 9 of 10  [ 187 posts ]
Jump to page « 16 7 8 9 10 »
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Jun , 2005 5:01 pm
Thanks to Holby

Voronwe, I hope you see this before you count! I forgot to rank Question 11.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Jun , 2005 6:09 pm

Yes, this vote is done too. I have to finish somethings at work before I can take the time to count it, so no problems there.

Let me say again how happy I am that everyone stepped forward and voted quickly on these two votes.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Jun , 2005 10:08 pm

Here are the votes as I have tallied them. Please particularly check the results of Questions No. 3 and 11.

Question 1

A. 8
B. 6

Question 2
D. 8
A. 2
B. 2
C. 2
(no run-off necessary)

Question 3 (after run-off)
B. 10
G. 4

Question 4
A. 8
B. 5
one abstention

Question 5
B. 8
A. 6

Question 6
B. 13
A. 1

Question 7
A. 13
B. 1

Question 8
A. 11
B. 3

Question 9
A. 9
B. 5

Question 10
A. 11
B. 3

Question 11 (after run-off)
B. 7
A. 6
One voter did not vote for either

Question 12
A. 10
B. 4

Question 13
A. 12
B. 2

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Jun , 2005 11:31 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

I can't believe I'm the only person who voted in favor of elections!!

We should all offer congratulations to Alandriel because she is the first mayor! (and a really perfect choice, as well - I would have voted for her in an election)

But we also know now who the Mayor will be for each of next forty years ... unless we die off in arbitrary order. :D

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Jun , 2005 11:34 pm
WYSIWYG

Jny, I think you're the only one who voted against elections!

Or I'm getting something wrong again. :help:

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Jun , 2005 11:37 pm
Thanks to Holby

Voronwe, how did you deal with Imp's Question 2 answers?

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Jun , 2005 11:39 pm

TH, really??? Good grief. I wanted to vote FOR elections, and I think I might have recorded the vote incorrectly in the ballot archive.

Or maybe I voted correctly and just recorded wrong, and someone else voted against the election.

[mumbles ... should not eat and type at same time]

Jn

edit: yes, where Voronwe listed B first, I recorded them backwards. Fixed now.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Jun , 2005 12:02 am

Everyone but one voted for elections, Jn. Didn't they? :scratch

Cerin, did you not get my PM response about Imp's vote on question no. 2? The numbers that she listed are months, so her vote translates like this:

#1= 9 = C
#2= 12 = D
#3= 6 = B
#4= 3 = A

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Jun , 2005 12:04 am
WYSIWYG

Ah, ok - so you thought A had won?

(But you must still have voted A on question 6 :scratch Or maybe you did vote B like you planned, and someone else voted A, that would explain everything! :D )

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Jun , 2005 1:33 am

Folks, I erred in my counting on question 4.

The correct results are:

Question 4:

A. 6
B. 7
one abstention

I think I also miscalculated on Question 3, but the choice remains B, I think. If someone else could check this (hint, Jn, hint) I would greatly appreciate it.

Edit: I forgot to say thanks to Cerin for pointing out the error of my ways, and for having the grace to pretend like it must have been her who was in error. :)

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Jun , 2005 2:23 am

I got the same results for the A/B questions. Starting now to count the runoffs.

Jn

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Jun , 2005 2:43 am

On the big runoff, question 3, I did get a different result, though it did not change the final outcome. Here's what I got:

B = 8
D = 5
G = 1

IRV does depend on the order in which you eliminate two choices of equal low number. Somewhere along the line we did a different elimination, but the final outcome is the same.

On question 11:
A = 6
B = 7
D = 1

I also don't do an elimination if a voter did not choose all the options. So G and D were not driven to zero in the above runoffs.

Who's doing the Article text for this?

Jn

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Jun , 2005 2:50 am

I'll do it unless you would prefer to do so. But probably not tonight. I'm about to go watch The Children of Dune, and see if its any better then the Sci Fi Channel's version of Dune. :)

Then I need to answer people's questions in the ownership thread. I'll do it tomorrow, unless you've done it by then. :D

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Jun , 2005 5:47 am

APPROVED TEXT for your review. (There is one minor glitch, as you will see, indicated in blue.)

Article 4: Office of the Mayor

¶1 Term of Office, Eligibility and Selection
• A Mayor for the board will be chosen once a year in a membership-wide election between candidates who meet the eligibility requirements and choose to run. To be eligible, a candidate must be a registered member for six months and be nominated by one other member.

• No provision is made for selecting an Assistant to the Mayor, however if a current Mayor decides that an Assistant Mayor is needed to fulfill the duties of this office, he/she may propose that the Charter be amended to provide for a selection process and the membership will convene for an amendment according to the by-laws.
people, we rejected all options for selecting an assistant so this has to be the fallback

¶2 Duties and Powers of the Mayor
The duties of the Mayor include Record Keeping, Verification and Notification regarding various eligibilities, scheduling Administrator terms of office, designating spokespersons, greeting new members and presiding at boardwide functions.

Record Keeping
Eligibility and Service Records
• Join dates, so that eligibility for the Jury and the Administrator pool is not delayed
• Date of entry into the Administrator pool
• Date of entry into the Jury pool
• Start and end dates of administrative terms of office
• Date of last service as a Mediator
• Date of last service as a Juror
• Designation and date of last service as a Loremaster

Objections, Complaints and Penalties
• Member objections to another member’s entry into Administrator pool, until the objection is lifted
• Warnings given to Administrators, until three warnings result in a formal complaint or until the term of office expires
• Disputed Formal complaints against an administrator, until the term of office expires or until five complaints result in a hearing
• Formal complaints against an administrator, for one year after the term of office has expired, or until five complaints result in a hearing.
• Outstanding penalties imposed by a jury and their expiration dates
• Immediate bans, and the date when they become eligible for a petition to reverse.

Verifications
Verification that a member has displayed a ‘continuous, visible, and contributory presence’ as the requirement for entry into the administrative pool.

Notifications
• Notification to individual members when they become eligible for the jury pool and the administrator pool
• Notification to the board by means of a posted roster that members are newly entering the Administrator pool.
• Notification to current administrators and to the individual member when there has been an objection to their entry into the Administrator pool.
• Notification to objecting members when a potential administrator has repaired any deficiencies and will enter the pool.
• Notification to members in the Administrative pool when it is their turn to serve a term of office, at least one month prior to the beginning of the term.
• Notification to the board by means of a posted roster which members are available to serve as Jurors and Mediators.
• Notification to current administrators when an outstanding penalty has expired

Scheduling
The Mayor will schedule Administrative terms of office, ensuring insofar as possible adequate time zone coverage, the presence of one administrator whose native language is not English, and the availability of members to serve when it is their turn.

Designating Spokesperson(s)
The Mayor will be aware of transactions between board77 and the public, and may authorize members to speak or act on behalf of the board whenever such a function is needed.

Greeting new members
The Mayor will send out an email greeting to new members in which their eligibilities are explained.

The Mayor will preside over any board-wide festivities and present honorees.

¶3 Screen name, Forums and Permissions used by the Mayor
• A screen name, “Mayor,” is created for use by the person holding this office when making posts of an official nature. The password will change with the officeholder.

• A subforum of the Outside Forum is created and entitled “Michel Delving” in which the Mayor will maintain those records that the Charter designates as public. The subforum will be a read and write forum so that members are able to discuss with the Mayor as needed and make the Mayor aware of developments that affect the Board.

• The Mayor will have permission to read and write in the private subforum of Forum Management in order to maintain those records that the Charter designates as private. He/she will maintain a thread there for that purpose. The Mayor will not have any Administrative powers other than permission to read and write in the Outside Forum and the private Management subforum during his/her term of office.

Last edited by Jnyusa on Sat 04 Jun , 2005 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Jun , 2005 7:15 am

Thank you for doing that, Jn. I didn't want to ask you to do it, but I do think that you are better at this type of thing then I am so I am pleased that you did it.

I approve of your handling of the assistant question.

There also probably needs to be additional text added to this article as a result of the Loremaster vote. Here is what I posted in that thread:
Quote:
I think that given the results of this vote, an addition needs to be made to the text of the Mayor article. Perhaps under "Recordingkeeping could be added something like:
Quote:
Loremasters

Maintain a list of volunteers who are willing to sufficiently familarize themselves with the Charter and provide procedural oversight of hearings, to ensure that proper procedure is followed and to provide a resource for hearing participants, so that the participants can concentrate on the substantive issues of the hearing. When a hearing arises, the Jury may choose to ask one of these volunteer Loremasters to oversee the hearing.
There probably should be something added to the dispute resolution article, as well. Jn, this time I'm not going to be coy. I'm going to flat ask for your suggestion as to how to handle it.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Jun , 2005 7:22 pm

Ah - Ok, meanwhile we already had that discussion in the other thread ... what I did was to put the information about the Loremaster in Article 5: Dispute Resolution, ¶4 Hearings. It belongs there because this is not an elected office but an additional juror designation for use in Hearings, just as Mediator is an additional juror designation for use in the Bike Racks.

Then I added to the Mayor's record keeping functions: • Designation and date of last service as a Loremaster

Jn

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 05 Jun , 2005 12:00 am
Not so deep as a well

Jeez, I hope someone actually decides they want to do this. And doesn't go up in flames... :neutral:

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 05 Jun , 2005 12:05 am

Ax, she doesn't know this yet, but the first thing I'm going to do when this gets ratified is nominate Jn to run for Mayor. But don't tell her; I don't want to scare her off.

:P

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 05 Jun , 2005 12:06 am

Well I will certainly volunteer for starters if I get to have the kewl title behind my name. :D I sure didn't want to the one everyone comes to off the record, though.

But we really have to clean up business, folks, and not just debate names. Someone has to draft now an email to all members who joined by ... March 12? ... asking about their interest in joining the Administrator Pool and the Jury Pool, their willingness to serve as Mediators, and their interest in memorizing the charter :Q to serve as Loremasters.

We don't know yet when Mayorial elections will be held ... the members have to ratify that article first.

Which reminds me ... we need to keep this committee going after opening to resolve all those petty issues, and resolve inconsistencies among Charter articles, etc. So don't everyone fly to the four winds.

Jn

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 05 Jun , 2005 12:22 am

Jn, by a coincidence I was thinking about that email myself today. You don't think it should wait for the Dispute Resolution article to be ratified first?

I agree that the committee will still have plenty to do, but I do think we should take a short break after the Mission Statement and Ownership issues are sent to the membership, hopefully by the end of Tuesday. Maybe take a week off to recharge our batteries.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 9 of 10  [ 187 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 16 7 8 9 10 »
Jump to: