The Last Homely Site on the Web

VOTE OVER: Office of the Mayor

Post Reply   Page 1 of 10  [ 187 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 510 »
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject: VOTE OVER: Office of the Mayor
Posted: Wed 25 May , 2005 10:54 pm

DRAFT BALLOT #29

Please read the ballot carefully. There are two parts. The first part deals with procedural questions including the name, term of office, deputies, eligibility, and selection. The second part deals with duties and powers in addition to those already approved for this office.

THIS VOTE WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL 12:01 A.M. GMT ON SUNDAY JUNE 5.

PART 1. Procedural Questions.

Question 1. Which name for this office do you prefer

PLEASE SELECT ONE:
A. Mayor
B. Thain

[Note: For convenience, the rest of the ballot refers to "Mayor"]

Question 2. Concerning Term of Office.

PLEASE RANK YOUR CHOICES with #1 being most preferred:

A. 3 months
B. 6 months
C. 9 months
D. One year

#1=
#2=
#3=
#4=

Question 3. Concerning deputy or multiple office holders.

A. The deputy or junior office holder would take office halfway through the term of the senior office holder, and would in turn become the senior office holder at the end of the current senior officeholder's term, at which time a new deputy/junior office holder would take office.

B. The first Mayor will weigh in on whether an assistant is needed.

C. A Mayor and Deputy run as a team. The assumption being that the Deputy Mayor would replace the Mayor either temporarily or permanently as reequired. They would also be available to help out during the year.

D. When and if the Mayor needs help, he/she should be allowed to delegate freely either for a period of time (in case of holiday absence) or on a 'per job' basis, yet with the provision of keeping track of things and/or catching up after absences.

E. The Mayoral runner-up will serve as the deputy mayor (the runner-up if there is an election or the next person on the list if there is not).

F. The deputy will be chosen separately from the Mayor (in a separate election if there is an election, or the next person on the list if there is not).

G. There will be no deputy.

#1=
#2=
#3=
#4=
#5=
#6=
#7=

Question 4. If there is a deputy or assistant, which name do you prefer.

PLEASE SELECT ONE:

A. Deputy.
B. Assistant.

Question 5. Concerning eligibility to serve as Mayor.

PLEASE SELECT ONE:

A. Members will be eligible to serve as Mayor after being a member for six months.

B. Members will be eligible to serve as Mayor after being a member for six months and being nominated for the office by another member.

Question 6. Concerning selection of the Mayor.

PLEASE SELECT ONE:

A. The Mayor will be chosen with the same process used for admins/Rangers, but with an overall yea or nay from the membership.

B. The Mayor will be chosen in a membership-wide election between candidates who meet the eligibility requirements and choose to run.

Question 7. Concerning creation of Mayor subforum.

There will be a new subforum create in which a thread will be maintained by the Mayor readable by all, where the admin pool and the roster of new entrants to the pool would be posted. The members will be able to post in this forum in order to make sure the Mayor is aware of developments that affect the Board.

PLEASE SELECT ONE:

A. I agree with this statement.
B. I disagree with this statement.

Question 8. Concerning "Michel Delving."

If the subforum described in Question 7 is created, it should be called "Michel Delving".

PLEASE SELECT ONE:

Question 9. Concerning private Mayor thread.

There will be a thread readable only by the Mayor(s) (and the admins)where a record of penalties against members and admin/Ranger warnings will be kept. The Mayor will have permission to post in the forum without actually having admin powers.

PLEASE SELECT ONE:

Question 10. Concerning Mayor screen name.

A screen name called "Mayor" (or whatever the title) whose password would change with the officeholders.

PLEASE SELECT ONE:

PART 2. Duties and Powers

The duties of the Mayor include Record Keeping, Verification and Notification regarding various eligibilities, and scheduling Administrator terms of office, designating spokespersons, presiding at boardwide functions and greeting new members.

[The text in blue will be added to this introductory statement as needed based on the results of the questions below. Since the duties already listed have also already been approved, there is no need to vote on this text.]

Question 11. Concerning adding the duty "Designating Spokesperson."

A. In the unusual circumstance where a spokesperson for the board is needed, the Mayor will choose who will act in that role, after consulting with the admins and the membership to whatever extent possible.

B. The Mayor will be aware of transactions between board77 and the public, and may authorize members to speak or act on behalf of the board whenever such a function is needed.

C. The Mayor will have NOT have the authority to authorize members to speak or act on behalf of the board NOR will he or she have the authority to act as the spokesperson his or her self.

D. The Mayor will act as the spokesperson his or her self.

#1=
#2=
#3=
#4=

Question 12. Concerning adding the duty "Preside over any board-wide festivities."

The Mayor will preside over any board-wide festivities and present honorees.

PLEASE SELECT ONE:
A. I agree with adding this duty.
B. I do not agree with adding this duty.

Question 13. Concerning adding the duty "Greet new members."

The Mayor will send out an email greeting to new members in which their eligibilities are explained.

PLEASE SELECT ONE:
A. I agree with adding this duty.
B. I do not agree with adding this duty.

Last edited by Voronwë_the_Faithful on Fri 03 Jun , 2005 6:13 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 25 May , 2005 10:55 pm

Office of MayorThain

¶1 Term of Office[s]

Options:
1. 3 months
2. 6 months
3. 9 months
4. One year

¶1a. Deputy/Junior/Multiple office holders

1. The deputy or junior office holder would take office halfway through the term of the senior office holder, and would in turn become the senior office holder at the of the current senior officeholder's term, at which time a new deputy/junior office holder would take office - Voronwe

2. Let the first Mayor weigh in on whether an assistant is needed. Otherwise a "Vice-Mayor" for contingency purposes. - Holby

3. I would recommend that a Mayor and Deputy run as a team. The assumption being that the Deputy Mayor (or whatever they're called) would replace the Mayor either temporarily or permanently as reequired. They would also be available to help out during the year. - Alatar

4. As to backup to the Mayors position: I don't believe we need to formally elect anybody to run alongside him/her. When and if the Mayor needs help, he/she should be allowed to delegate freely either for a period of time (in case of holiday absence) or on a 'per job' basis, yet with the provision of keeping track of things and/or catching up after absences. - Alandrial

5. if there 's a constant deputy, I think rather than a second election, it should be just the runner-up of the mayoral election. - truehobbit

¶2 Eligibility

same as admins - Holby

¶3 Elections

same process as admins but with an overall yea or nay from the membership - Holby or

The Mayor will be chosen in a membership-wide election between candidates who meet the eligibility requirements and choose to run

¶4 Duties and Powers

The duties of the Mayor include Record Keeping, Verification and Notification regarding various eligibilities, and scheduling Administrator terms of office, designating spokespersons, presiding at boardwide functions and greeting new members.

• Record Keeping

Eligibility and Service Records
•• Join dates, so that eligibility for the Jury and the Administrator pool is not delayed
•• Date of entry into Administrator pool
•• Date of entry into the Jury pool
•• Start and end dates of administrative terms of office
•• Date of last service as a Mediator
•• Date of last service as a Juror

Objections, Complaints and Penalties
•• Member objections to another member’s entry into Administrator pool, until the objection is lifted
•• Warnings given to Administrators, until three warnings result in a formal complaint or until the term of office expires
•• Disputed Formal complaints against an administrator, until the term of office expires or until five complaints result in a hearing
•• Formal complaints against an administrator, for one year after the term of office has expired, or until five complaints result in a hearing.
•• Outstanding penalties imposed by a jury and their expiration dates
•• Immediate bans, and the date when they become eligible for a petition to reverse.

• Verifications

Verification that a member has displayed a ‘continuous, visible, and contributory presence’ as the requirement for entry into the administrative pool.

• Notifications

•• Notification to individual members when they become eligible for the jury pool and the administrator pool
•• Notification to the board by means of a posted roster that members are newly entering the Administrator pool.
•• Notification to current administrators and to the individual member when there has been an objection to their entry into the Administrator pool.
•• Notification to objecting members when a potential administrator has repaired any deficiencies and will enter the pool.
•• Notification to members in the Administrative pool when it is their turn to serve a term of office, at least one month prior to the beginning of the term.
•• Notification to the board by means of a posted roster which members are available to serve as Jurors and Mediators.
•• Notification to current administrators when an outstanding penalty has expired

• Scheduling
Scheduling Administrative terms of office, ensuring insofar as possible adequate time zone coverage, the presence of one administrator whose native language is not English, and the availability of members to serve when it is their turn.

• Designating Spokesperson.

In the unusual circumstance where a spokesperson for the board is needed, the Mayor will choose who will act in that role, after consulting with the admins and the membership to whatever extent possible - Voronwe.

or

The Mayor will be cognizant of transactions between board77 and the public, and may authorize members to speak or act on behalf of the board whenever such a function is needed.

• Preside over any board-wide festivities .

The Mayor will preside over any board-wide festivities and present honorees.

• Greet new members.

The Mayor will send out an email greeting to new members in which their eligibilities are explained.

Misc.

we could certainly have a Mayor's Forum that was visible to all but postable only by the Mayors, perhaps in addition to a "secret Mayor's forum" for confidential information.

I would like to have a subforum "Michel Delving" maintained by the Mayor, where the admin pool and the roster of new entrants to the pool would be posted. That could also be where we put some member FAQ,s and a subforum where members can contact the mayor, especially for B77<->The World issues.

This would require a screen name called "Mayor" (or whatever the title) whose password would change with the officeholds, like the Administrator i.d. does right now, and a subforum with split permissions, like Outside is now, so that one subforum would only be postable by the Mayor and another by members.

Regarding invisible forums ... we have an invisible admin forum right now, right? That is where warnings against admins should go, imo. I have to look up the formal complaint procedure again - if private, it should go there too. If public it could go in Michel Delving. Record of Penalties against members should, I think be kept in private ... the announcement of the penalty is public at the Hearing, but keeping the record until the penalty expires is not something that a person should have to view every time they open the board. So perhaps there could be a "Mayor's Thread" inside the invisible Admins forum where the Mayor would keep two updated posts (or more if necessary) - one for outstanding member penalties and one for outstanding admin warnings.

Last edited by Voronwë_the_Faithful on Mon 30 May , 2005 10:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 25 May , 2005 10:56 pm

Friends (and particularly Jnyusa) -

Before actually starting a discussion on the subject of the office of the Mayor, I would like to confirm that we are on the same page as to exactly what needs to be decided. It is my understanding that the following questions need to be answered on this topic:

1. Whether the office will be titled "Mayor" or something else (such as Loremaster).
2. How many people will fill the office (and whether any will be designated as "Deputy Mayor" (or whatever term we decide upon).
3. What responsibilities the office will hold in addition to those that we have already assigned to this office.
4. How the individuals who fill this/these position[s] are chosen.
5. How long the individuals will fill this/these position[s].
6. How an individual filling this/these position[s] can be removed.

Is there are any other questions on this subject that people think need to be answered?

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 25 May , 2005 11:04 pm
Thanks to Holby

I guess we might want to consider qualifications?

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 May , 2005 7:25 am
Tricksy Elf!

Quote:
in addition to those that we have already assigned to this office.

Can we list them in the first or second post Veronwe, just for catch up ;)

We should also discuss what would be expected of them, ie time expected to give to the board. Is it a 24/7 role or the occassional opening of a supermarket?

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 May , 2005 1:20 pm

Dindraug wrote:
Quote:
in addition to those that we have already assigned to this office.

Can we list them in the first or second post Veronwe, just for catch up ;)
Yes, once the discussion actually starts in earnest.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 May , 2005 6:52 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Voronwe, to give structure to the discussion I think it would be helpful to put in one of the first posts the structure of the Article we are writing.

Inside the article itself - this would parallel the Admin Article:
¶Term of Office
¶Eligibility
¶Elections
¶Duties and Powers

Other decisions about the office:
Title
Deputy?

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 May , 2005 7:57 pm

Excellent. Thanks Jn. What would I do without you?

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 May , 2005 8:01 pm

:D

I pulled all the phrases with the word Mayor in them from the ratified Article and have been trying to group them into categories of duty. This will take a bit more time, though, to find a nice, concise structure to which we can add whatever we need to add.

Jn

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 May , 2005 8:12 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

*MY EDITS IN RED*
Jnyusa wrote:
Voronwe, to give structure to the discussion I think it would be helpful to put in one of the first posts the structure of the Article we are writing.

Inside the article itself - this would parallel the Admin Article:
¶Term of Office - 3-6 months (that is an age on the internet)
¶Eligibility - same as admins
¶Elections - same process as admins but with an overall yea or nay from the membership
¶Duties and Powers - Pretty much has already been outlined I think

Other decisions about the office:
Title - The Mayor (lets not spend time deliberating the niceties of life right now)
Deputy? - Let the first Mayor weigh in on whether an assistant is needed. Otherwise a "Vice-Mayor" for contingency purposes.
Jn

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 May , 2005 10:44 pm

OK - here's what I pulled out of Article 4. Voronwe, if you want to move this into an earlier post to begin filling the outline, go into this post and pull the url code along with it. (I hate putting that stuff in. No need for both of us to do it.) Jn

¶ Duties

The duties of the Mayor include Record Keeping, Verification and Notification regarding various eligibilities, and scheduling Administrator terms of office.

• Record Keeping

Eligibility and Service Records
•• Join dates, so that eligibility for the Jury and the Administrator pool is not delayed
•• Date of entry into Administrator pool
•• Date of entry into the Jury pool
•• Start and end dates of administrative terms of office
•• Date of last service as a Mediator
•• Date of last service as a Juror

Objections, Complaints and Penalties
•• Member objections to another member’s entry into Administrator pool, until the objection is lifted
•• Warnings given to Administrators, until three warnings result in a formal complaint or until the term of office expires
•• Disputed Formal complaints against an administrator, until the term of office expires or until five complaints result in a hearing
•• Formal complaints against an administrator, for one year after the term of office has expired, or until five complaints result in a hearing.
•• Outstanding penalties imposed by a jury and their expiration dates
•• Immediate bans, and the date when they become eligible for a petition to reverse.

• Verifications

Verification that a member has displayed a ‘continuous, visible, and contributory presence’ as the requirement for entry into the administrative pool.

• Notifications

•• Notification to individual members when they become eligible for the jury pool and the administrator pool
•• Notification to the board by means of a posted roster that members are newly entering the Administrator pool.
•• Notification to current administrators and to the individual member when there has been an objection to their entry into the Administrator pool.
•• Notification to objecting members when a potential administrator has repaired any deficiencies and will enter the pool.
•• Notification to members in the Administrative pool when it is their turn to serve a term of office, at least one month prior to the beginning of the term.
•• Notification to the board by means of a posted roster which members are available to serve as Jurors and Mediators.
•• Notification to current administrators when an outstanding penalty has expired

• Scheduling
Scheduling Administrative terms of office, ensuring insofar as possible adequate time zone coverage, the presence of one administrator whose native language is not English, and the availability of members to serve when it is their turn.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 May , 2005 10:56 pm
Living in hope

Holby, I'm really not following you around to disagree with you, but I would definitely support a longer term than 3-6 months. An important part of the whole idea of this office for me is to provide some continuity and knowledge as a resource for the admins, who are constantly coming and going. Therefore I think the Mayor's term needs to be significantly longer—I'd say a year.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 May , 2005 11:37 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

Prim in principle (principal?) whatever the damned word is,....
I agree with you. In reality I don't.
To me requesting that of someone is a pie in the sky dream.
Look at me in the eye right now and tell me that you unequivocally could commit to that for such a length of time, and that you know you won't have to back out at some point in the future.
I just think it is too much to ask of someone. Things change.
I wish I could believe that people could commit for so long because I would rather see a year than 3-6 months. A year on the internet is a huge amount of time.
This isn't even taking into account the times when people need to break off from posting for a month or whatever.
I agree but I just don't think it is feasible.

And stop following me. :P

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 May , 2005 11:43 pm
Try to stay perky

Primula_Baggins wrote:
...An important part of the whole idea of this office for me is to provide some continuity and knowledge as a resource for the admins, who are constantly coming and going. Therefore I think the Mayor's term needs to be significantly longer—I'd say a year.
...which is why I think we MUST absolutely have an associate/deputy/assistant - whatever.

To be on call for a year is a very hard ask! Vacations, sickness, real life...Back up is absolutely essential.

LOREMASTER not mayor. No ribbon cutting or feasts to preside over, after all! :P

Jn's summary list is a gem! Are there any thoughts as to what else we would expect our lore-master to do?

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 May , 2005 11:46 pm
Living in hope

<follows Holby>

But if someone agrees to that, what's wrong with a long term? If someone can't finish, we elect a new Mayor, or the vice Mayor, if we have one, steps in. But if someone wants to commit and is elected and can actually serve out a long term, that's good for the board—why rule it out?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 May , 2005 11:54 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

Quote:
why rule it out?
Because I think the length could turn away potential candidates.

And for the love of Pete, let us not get embroiled in naming the office.
The person can call him/herself whatever he/she wishes.
They could use Exhaltedgrandhighmuckimuck for all I care.
Let us please not waste time with those trivial things.

:suspicious: And if you are going to continue following me Primula :suspicious: I insist that you nestle upon my shoulder and sweet talk me.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 27 May , 2005 12:20 am
Thanks to Holby

There's no reason to call someone who keeps track of admins 'Loremaster', IMO. I think Mayor is the pefect title for the job we have described thus far.

I suppose we could have a re-vote on creating the Loremaster position (procedural oversight of hearings) :whistle: if people are having second thoughts on that question.

I think the notion of a Deputy Mayor does make sense if we decide on a longer term. S/he could step in if there were a period of time when the Mayor was unable to carry out his/her duties, but would otherwise be waiting in the wings?

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 27 May , 2005 12:48 am

Cerin, while you were posting I was preparing discussion points in the second post, including revising the question of procedural oversight of hearings.

Holby, names are important to some people.

Cerin, I tend to agree that without the precedural oversight role, Loremaster is a less attractive name. But to me, without the spokesperson role (which based on comments that people have made I doubt will win when it is put to a vote), I am less then thrilled with the title Mayor.

I think the vote on what we call it should be held after we determine what the duties are. In fact, I am beginning to think that the first thing we should do is decide whether any additional duties will be added to the ones already approved and then decide on all the other points, since what the duties are potentially effects all the other questions.

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 27 May , 2005 1:19 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

V,
I understand the import of the name to you.
It means nothing to me.
What means something to me is the completion of this task and opening the boards asap.
I submit to you that we have taken a great deal of time in preparing this document. To spend more time deliberating the name of an office is being untrue to ourselves.
We came here with the expressed purpose of constructing a document to insure our protection, insure our future, and allow us to open the board.
Let us please focus on what we need to accomplish to see this task to its completion.
The niceties of this document can easily be taken care of after we open. The document can be amended.
We need to move on and finish this, and stop getting bogged down.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 27 May , 2005 1:30 am
Thanks to Holby

Voronwe, I continue to give thought to the idea of the spokesperson role. I think we ought to have an honorary-type spokesperson.

As you may recall, my major doubt about giving the Mayor that role was that it might not be the sort of role someone inclined to be recordkeeper, might also be inclined toward. So that the practical result would be to decimate the number of people who would volunteer to be Mayor if Mayor incorporated both roles.

My concern about time limitations (which was one of my problems with having procedural oversight be the Mayor's duty) doesn't apply to the question of Mayor as spokesperson, IMO, because I don't think the spokesperson role would be consistently demanding of the Mayor's time.

So what do you say to my concerns about the spokesperson and recordkeeping roles not necessarily appealing to the same person? Does this not appear as a problem to you in the least, or just not practically important because the mayor is seen as a long-term position (and so we won't need that many volunteers)?

Edit

So I could support a separate spokesperson as Mayor, and then name this position record-keeper or something more indicative of the duties, or possibly support this position having the spokesperson role and being called Mayor, if my doubts could be allayed.

Last edited by Cerin on Fri 27 May , 2005 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 10  [ 187 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 510 »
Jump to: