85% [ 52 ]
No.

15% [ 9 ]
Total votes: 61
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject: RATIFIED: Changing Admin's Name
Posted: Tue 31 May , 2005 11:59 pm

Members of B77:

There are two more articles of the charter that are being presented to the membership by the charter convention committee for discussion and (hopefully) ratification, plus a small amendment to one of the previous articles already ratified. They are being presented in three separate threads in order to avoid confusion.

This thread covers a proposed change that the committee wants to make to the previously ratified Article 3: Administrators. The committee is recommending that our Administrators be referred to by the title "Rangers."

A bit of history. When the convention first started, I suggested naming the admins "Shirriffs." The idea got tabled for a while, but we raised again recently. In the course of that discussion, it was suggested by Axordil that Rangers would be an even better name. In Tolkien's legendarium, Rangers are noble people, yet self-effacing. They labor ceaselessly for the good of the communities they protect, with no thought of their own glory or self-aggrandizement. I completely agree that these are excellent qualities to look for in our administrators.

Please keep in mind that the only choices that will be put up to a vote is either renaming the office "Ranger" or keeping the name "Administrator" (or "admin" for short). We are not soliciting suggestions for other alternatives. We had some talk in the convention of skipping some or most of the 10 day discussion period for this one, since there really doesn't seem to be much to discuss. But we decided that we went better stick rigidly to the procedure that we set up. :)

We will discuss from Tues May 31 ~11:59 pm GMT to Fri Jun 10 ~11:59pm GMT. We will vote from Fri June 10 ~11:59pm GMT to Mon Jun 20 11:59pm GMT. Ratification requires a quorum of at least 39 votes and a super-majority of at least 2/3 of the votes.

The full charter can be read HERE

Thanks!
Voronwe

Last edited by Voronwë_the_Faithful on Tue 21 Jun , 2005 12:04 am, edited 6 times in total.

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 12:06 am
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

<bounces in>

<gives Voronwe a big {{HUG}}, just because>

<bounces out>

:D

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 12:28 am
Insolent Pup

As long as changing it won't confuse potential or new members, I don't care if admin is changed to ranger.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 1:51 am
Another bright red day

I like it. It's got the right ring to it. Yes, I think it's appropriate. :)

Besides, I'm the type of person who would totally forgot who all was adminating (not a word, I know. Can't think of the real one. . . ) at the time, so it would be kind of nice to have a reminder. But then again, that's me just me being my usual forgetful self.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 1:59 am
Triathlete

Something I've always wondered - where do little rangers come from? Tolkien spoke of male rangers wandering the wilds and acting as bouncers on the borders of the Shire, but where were their women folk? Were they rangers, too? Where did they raise their kids? (Besides the famous case of Estel in Imladris.) Sorry to be so philosophical about this point. Just wondering what it would feel like to be a female ranger, when, up until now, I thought they didn't really exist. So to speak.

Just call me duna-dame. :D

Profile Quote
Frelga
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 3:30 am
A green apple painted red

Quote:
Just wondering what it would feel like to be a female ranger
Haven't read any Pony RPs lately, have you? ;)

Rangers would sound great to me if I didn't watch so many episodes of Walker, Texas Ranger. :blackeye What I ever saw in Chuck Norris is beyond me now. :D Was there some adjective that went with Rangers (of the North?). I'd suggest Dunedain, but that would confuse the newcomers. Or is it a good thing?

Seriously, Rangers are fine, Admins are fine. It's all good. :)

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 4:06 am
Try to stay perky

Laurie, I'm afraid Tolkien envisioned a fairly stereotypical structure in Dunedain society...while the menfolk went out and brought home the bacon (or 'Ranged' in this case :D ), the womenfolk stayed home in the small settlements up north of Bree and brought up the younglings.

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 4:10 am
Insolent Pup

That was pretty much the entirety of Tolkien's social structure in ME, aside from specific women at specific times (Eowyn). Honestly, I don't see why administrator needs to be changed as it doesn't affect the administrator's powers and duties, but I'm not going to stop everyone from doing it.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 5:10 am
Try to stay perky

Apart from the little kick I get from constantly reminding myself of Tolkien's world (and imagining Strider, my favourite Ranger :love: ) I think that most people come from MB's where Administrator means Supreme Power! even moreso than moderator. As our admins do not have Supreme Power, it would be a good thing IMO to have a title that does not have that connotation for innocent newbs.

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Frelga
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 6:00 am
A green apple painted red

Now that I thought about it - maybe Dunedain wasn't such a bad idea. A surf-by newbie who understands the allusion is almost certainly going to fit in here, even though this is not a Tolkien site per se.
:scratch
Though I still think either Admin or Ranger is fine.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 6:28 am
Living in hope

Ranger would bring in the Babylon 5 people as well, and they're quite nice. :D

In any case, the choice being offered is Admin or Ranger. The committee brought up, discussed, and discarded many other ideas on the way to this one. Ranger was the first and only "Tolkien" title that really grabbed wide support in the committee, and our hope is that the rest of the members might agree.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 8:09 am
Gloriosus

I don't like "Rangers", that sounds like Only You Can Prevent Forest Fires.

I propose "Tribunes" (with the addendum "of the people").

But "Shirrifs" I find good also.

– – –

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 10:50 am
WYSIWYG

Impenitent wrote:
I think that most people come from MB's where Administrator means Supreme Power! even moreso than moderator. As our admins do not have Supreme Power, it would be a good thing IMO to have a title that does not have that connotation for innocent newbs.
We don't have supreme power? :Q :bawl:

;)

Good point, Imp! :)

laureanna, we'll be the first female Rangers, then - let's make history! :D
Mummpizz wrote:
I don't like "Rangers", that sounds like Only You Can Prevent Forest Fires.

I think that describes the office quite well! :P (Apart from the "only you" bit - but preventing forest fires is fitting, I think. :) )
Quote:
Doesn't the word have negative connotations these days?

Anyway, I looked it up and some things are curiously fitting while others are not.
"Tribunes were first elected in the people's gathering, later in tribunal committees" - hehe, sounds like us.

"They had immunity and those who acted against them were cursed" - not like us. ;)

"In an emergency they could enforce measures against everything and everybody" - hmmh, partly, I think.

"The office of people's tribune surely is one of the most interesting and one of the strangest forms of representation of the people to be found in any constitution in world history." - :D

(Sorry about the rotten translations, am in a bit of a hurry.)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 11:26 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

I have a question ... for Alandriel, perhaps.

Can we actually change the title 'Administrator' as it appears in orange on the board itself?

If no, how about when we move and have more things under our control?

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 11:30 am
Gloriosus

truehobbit wrote:
Quote:
Doesn't the word have negative connotations these days?
I dunno. The original Tribunes were elected by the tribus (as a noun still surviving in our "tribe"). There was never a similar office anywhere after the roman res publica, not even in France.
The only tribune still in charge is the Herald Tribune (and maybe some other papers).

I have more problems with "Rangers". Even though our admins might have more similarities with all kinds of rangers from "Mighty Morphin'" to "Forest", this term is too military in my opinion (humble).

– – –

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 11:47 am
Tricksy Elf!

I still wonder what is wrong with Administrator?

Ranger leads people down certain tracks, the term being derived from the lawless vagabond disposed and self govening border reavers and all that, (or the raggers of medieval Europe etc depending how you look at it). Neither is really a name to inspire trust. Think of Buterbeer's (:P) description of Strider in The Prancing Pony.

Not sure I would be able to take the term seriously at all, and would not use it if it was me.

When did we turn into one of Baden Powell's little spin off's anyway, or will 'Scouting for Boys' become vital reading for the members here ;)

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 12:58 pm
Takoyaki is love

I like Rangers.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 2:38 pm

I like Rangers, too. :)

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 2:56 pm
Not so deep as a well

"Rangers" is fun.
"Administrators" is stuffy.

Needer-needer. :D

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 3:00 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Jnyusa wrote:
I have a question ... for Alandriel, perhaps.

Can we actually change the title 'Administrator' as it appears in orange on the board itself?
I'm not Alandriel, but I'm pretty sure the answer to this question is no. We can't even upload our own smileys. :roll:

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 8  [ 144 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 58 »
Jump to: