The Last Homely Site on the Web

A MODEST PROPOSAL

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
TORN
Post subject: A MODEST PROPOSAL
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 2:52 am
THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Hi folks . . . taking advantage of the fact that my permissions to post in this forum have not been pulled to propose that EVERYONE take a break from jury & business room discussions for a modest period of time when a good breaking point is reached. Yes, I know that this will slow down the eventual opening, but a short break should be acceptable. I think everyone needs to step back and take a rest -- go post in the other fora without any guilt and with some time to really think and be creative. I think this drafting process may be wringing many of you dry and your absence from the creative side of B77 is sorely missed.

Please, everyone take a break . . . after a few days, you can all get back to work.

And, although I apologized to a few of you privately a little while back, let me apologize more broadly for having not been able to carry out what I had volunteered to do on this committee. Even if we seem to have a wide philosophical difference on the approach that each of us would prefer to take on this endeavor, my admiration for your work is by no means diminished.

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 2:56 am
Thanks to Holby

So good to see you, TORN. :) I will defer to the other members of the committee regarding your suggestion.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 3:16 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

Well, I needed to stop doing this about three weeks ago ... just hate to drop things halfway done, but we have about reached the limit of things to which I can contribute experience.

It will be largely up to Voronwe, I think, because we are about to enter that phase where his expertise is everything.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 4:49 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Jnyusa wrote:
Well, I needed to stop doing this about three weeks ago ... just hate to drop things halfway done,
Sometimes the best thing you can do for others it to take care of and pamper yourself. You're definately in need of a long, relaxing bath. Maybe I can help you with that. :) (*is thankful Lidless can't post in this forum*)

[/cryptic message]

:P:D

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
IdylleSeethes
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 4:58 am

Jnyusa wrote:
Quote:
It will be largely up to Voronwe, I think, because we are about to enter that phase where his expertise is everything.
Well nobody told me. Who are we suing? When are we filing?

TORN,

Thanks for worrying about our sanity, but the evidence littered around this forum shows it's already too late. Impenitent even said she was sorry about something a few minute ago. Prim was wandering around earlier shouting "The Eagles are coming! The Eagles are coming!" I'm not sure that meant.

Idylle in exile: the view over the laptop on a bad day
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 5:31 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

And Idylle just left the word 'what' out of his sentence. The signs of the apocolypse are upon us!

Eru - Back when I first joined, Alandriel walked me through the selection of essential oils for the perfect sleep-inducing bath! I think I will indeed head for one tonight.

I taught the last class of three new graduate courses tonight and feel like 100 lb weight came off my shoulders. Just lots of boring undergrad essays to correct now.

(did I say boring? my students are all geniuses! not)

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 5:42 am

Yes, let's stop in the middle of what we are doing, just when our goal is finally within sight. That's makes wonderful sense to me. :roll:

Yes, I am seriously annoyed about this. Particularly coming as it does from someone who not even on the committee.

I'm going to resist the urge to just say "Fuck it" and keeping working towards trying to get us open. Everyone else can do whatever they want to do.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 6:24 am
Living in hope

No, we can't. We've got a job to do, and your job, Voronwe, is to keep us focused on that, not dismiss us to the four winds. You know that, of course, but it's been a long day.

I agree that although we are all tired, we are probably much closer than TORN realizes to being done with this process, and so his genuinely well-meant advice is probably best not taken. A week of rest would be nice, but a week of lost momentum would end up costing us much more than a week in the end.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 6:33 am
Try to stay perky

V - I know you are frustrated! I hear it your tone everywhere and it's so uncharacteristic of you I feel like offering you a massage.

(Hey, I'm qualified! I'll show you my registration papers :D )

Don't despair. I know you see it as the last lap and I feel your desperation to have it OVER WITH and the MB finally OPENED!

I personally feel like I've been no help at all these last few weeks (so even though I haven't yet apologised I will do so now - IS anticipated this! :P ) but much of it I felt has been over my head; and I've had so little time to get my head around it all. I AM sorry that the slog and grind has fallen to a dedicated few, sapping your energy and creativity for other things (and making some of us grumpy sour pusses) but that will change. It WILL be over.

As they say, in another galaxy far, far away - be well and prosper.

(Okay, so it's a mix-and-match galaxy far, far away. ;) )

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 6:44 am

Quote:
I feel like offering you a massage
I accept. :)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 6:57 am
Living in hope

Sheesh, if I had a nickel for every time he's pulled that one off. . . .

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 2:49 pm

V, I feel that your reaction was unfair to TORN. He was trying to be helpful and was concerned for the sanity of those who have been working hard. You took it the wrong way...and I see you do this kinda a lot. :oops: Sorry and I'm afraid I'll have made you more upset by saying that....but I thought it might possibly help to point it out. Instead of reacting rashly and posting angry, take a few seconds to breathe and see what the person is really saying. We're all guilty of reacting but we should strive towards really hearing each other.

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 3:36 pm
WYSIWYG

No need to be angry at TORN for his suggestion, but I'd also say that now we are almost done, we should try to mobilise some extra energy rather than take a break - you know, for the finish! ;) :)

And if someone needs to step back and take time out for a few days, that's not a problem either, people have been doing it all the time, no need for the whole committee to interrupt the work. :)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 3:40 pm

Thanks for your advice, Eru. I'll try to take it to heart. :)

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 5:51 pm
Per aspera ad astra

TORN - I see where you are coming from. I understand you. My posting rights to here have not been disabled either (probably I should do this myself, or as an admin must I keep them?).

For reasons independant of my own will, of the convention and of the nature of the document, I cannot take part any more in the discussion. Without taking part, I don't want to vote... BUT:

I hate that I have to stop this work. I admire what has been done so far, I found it passionating at moments and ennoying at others. I would like to see Voronwë survive this convention and see the boards open before he feels like Frodo in the Shire, that the messageboard has been saved, but not for him.

In another constellation I would agree with you: obviously people need a break. It would do them good, probably. But the tension and the eagerness to open as well as the fear that staying closed will harm this board so definately that it cannot be undone, make a break counterproductive. It will not bring rest to those who need it as long as issues will remain uncovered that are so dear to them, that they make delais unbearable.

In German I would say: Augen zu und durch. But in fact, I am no longer member of the comittee, I can blissfully let you work

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 6:22 pm
Thanks to Holby

Nin, may I say that you are just the loveliest person. You have such empathy and understanding.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 6:31 pm

Thank you Nin. :love:

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 8:30 pm

I've been worrying about your reaction all day Voronwe and I'm glad that it appears I didn't make you too upset...or that you're holding your anger in. :P

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 8:52 pm

Eru, I'm not angry at you at all. I honestly appreciate your advice. :)

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 02 Jun , 2005 12:38 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

TORN I appreciate your advice and I do agree with you to some extent.
I went out today for a bike ride. I planned on doing about 7 miles or so, but because it was nice out and I was enjoying myself I rode for 14 miles.
I spent some time playing frisbee with one of my kids.
It helps keep things in perspective and it recharges the batteries. I see no problem at all with taking some time away. It doesn't have to be a week or even a full day. I do suggest to everyone though that they do take some type of break away from here.
Get out there and do something and live life.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: