board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

What to do with old discussions about TORC? - POLL OVER!

Post Reply   Page 1 of 37  [ 728 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 537 »
What do you want to be done with the threads in question - READ FIRST POST BEFORE VOTING!
I agree with the Basic Package and want the Individual Decision threads deleted.

2% [ 1 ]
I agree with the Basic Package and want the Individual Decision threads locked and left visible.

82% [ 37 ]
I agree with the Basic Package with the exception that I would like the following threads to be deleted: Please post and list by thread number all the threads you want deleted, including the Individual Decision threads if you want those deleted.

9% [ 4 ]
I want all the threads to be deleted or hidden when we open

7% [ 3 ]
Total votes: 45
truehobbit
Post subject: What to do with old discussions about TORC? - POLL OVER!
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 4:10 pm
WYSIWYG

The thirty-one threads referred to in this discussion are not Invitation threads. They are discussion threads from several other forums and they still remain on the board in the forum where they originated. Their actual contents can be read by anyone. We have removed the thread titles and the links because it is not our desire to encourage the re-opening of old wounds, but we remain willing to discuss the contents of these threads with anyone who wishes to do so.

Edited to add: Poll expires Saturday, June 25th, 11pm GMT

Members, we have put together a “Basic Package” outlining what to do with different classes of thread.

In addition to the “Basic Package” there are two threads on which you must make an individual decision.

The Poll will be counted as follows:
• If A + B + C is greater than D, the Basic Package will be accepted.
• If you answer C, you must list the threads you want deleted, including the two Individual Decision threads if you want them deleted. If any thread number receives a simple majority of all voters, that thread will be deleted.
• If the Individual Decision threads receive a simple majority for deletion in A + C + D, they will be deleted

(Title edited and paragraph added, 06.07., at request of other members)

Last edited by truehobbit on Wed 06 Jul , 2005 8:15 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 4:13 pm
WYSIWYG

Now that it looks we might be opening quite soon, there's a last problem to be solved.

In the course of time, there have been threads here, discussing the problems and disruptions on TORC, which were meant to be seen only by the current members, in the knowledge that, although of course nothing "online" is really private, they still would most likely not be read by people we don't know.

So, now we need to ask ourselves:
- what do we want to do with those threads?
- which threads are these?

As to the first, there are two options:
- delete them completely
- store them in the archive

- 3rd option, suggested by Jny: store them in the archive for now, but make them visible to all after a certain time has passsed.

If we store them in the archive, this would mean that anyone who becomes an admin can see them.

If we delete them, this would mean your posts in them would disappear completely and your postcount would go down accordingly!

If we delete, there is the also question of destroying history and that people might want to hold on to things they have written. I think that in order to avoid this we could make a backup of the threads. People could make their own backups of threads they'd want to keep, or a copy of the backup could be sent to them somehow.
I guess at first this may sound a bit duplicitous, but I think not destroying history completely is a valid concern, and we should put it up for discussion!

As to the second question: which threads are concerned?
I'd like everybody to try to remember or do a little search for threads they think should not be around when we open.

We could collect the suggestions here, and hear pros and cons of deleting them.

In the end, I'd like to put it up to some kind of vote - a simple poll maybe, asking "Should we delete these threads, yes or no".

If you have other suggestions of how to come to a decision on which threads should vanish, please post them here, too.

I would like to remind you that there is also a poll coming up in each forum, on whether to make the forum readable to people who aren't registered or not - please think about whether the results of this poll would influence your decisions on which threads to keep or to lose.

(Last edit, 06.07., at request of other members)

Last edited by truehobbit on Wed 06 Jul , 2005 7:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 4:55 pm
Insolent Pup

I say none. Maybe just put stuff in an archive, but don't delete anything.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 4:59 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Everyone knows how I feel about deleting. ;) ....though I make an exception for invite threads.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 5:03 pm
Living in hope

Invite threads and threads where it was decided not to invite someone—deleted

List of people to invite—deleted (there is frank discussion in there about why some people should not be invited, some posted by people who are no longer here to edit their posts)

Paths of the Dead (Turf)—archived out of sight, along with the two other major TORCsplosion threads

I will come back and put in links later today (got to run).

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 5:19 pm

Hobby, thank you so much for starting this discussion. :love:

Cerin made a good point in the convention about removing the "not TORC-related" from description of the Symposium.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 5:26 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I wouldn't be in favour of deleting anything but the invite threads.

As for the Torc threads, those are an important part of our history. I would be in favour of keeping them on the boards. If anyone is uncomfortable with anything they've written, they can always go back and edit their posts.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 6:09 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

You know what? I think Jude's right. They're important. And people should be allowed to see what we've written. I don't think there's anything terrible in them (I'm pretty sure I read the lot) just a lot of hurt people. We can't just try and pretend it never happened.

If it stops the threads being deleted I'd go through every single post looking for anything hurtful to future b77ers or relating to Invites.

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Sassafras
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 6:10 pm
through the looking glass

Jude wrote:
I wouldn't be in favour of deleting anything but the invite threads.
As for the Torc threads, those are an important part of our history. I would be in favour of keeping them on the boards. If anyone is uncomfortable with anything they've written, they can always go back and edit their posts.
Seconded.

Why do we want to remove the TORC threads?
To protect ourselves? To pretend that we wern't affected by the february bannings? To protect new arrivals?

We are what we are.

I am not in favour of tucking our collective pain and outrage neatly away in some musty old archive where they will probably never see the light of day again.

Besides, leaving those threads where they are, several pages back btw, might prove educational for some TORCers. If nothing else they document how great an impact those events had both individually and collectively.

Delete the invite threads. Archive the TORC threads if that is the consensus. But please, do not eradicate as though it never happened.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 6:16 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Well, I don't think anyone wants to delete threads that contain our history.

I do think though, as a practical matter, because we want our opening to be a celebration and not an explosion of dead worms, that those threads should be archived, and when a suitable amount of time has passed, we can make the archive viewable but not postable.

President Johnson locked up the records of the Kennedy assassination for 99 years. That history was a lot more important than ours is, and though I was not happy about that particular maneuver, there is something to be said for prudent avoidance of turmoil. Especially at a time when we're supposed to be happy.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 6:18 pm

Putting together a list right now. :)

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 6:34 pm

I'm really of two minds about this. :neutral:

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 6:49 pm

Okay I think that's it. I'm still wavering between leaving a lot of those TORC threads where they are or archiving them. Absolutely no deleting though. I do think that if we decide to archive or delete them, we need to give warning and give people time to save them if they want to.

edited to remove links

Last edited by Eruname on Wed 22 Jun , 2005 5:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 6:55 pm

Jnyusa wrote:
those threads should be archived, and when a suitable amount of time has passed, we can make the archive viewable but not postable.
I kind of like that idea.

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 6:57 pm
Living in hope

I do, too.

Though we might want to call that archive "The Can of Worms". . . .

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 7:12 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Regarding the Wilko jury room thread ... is that still in the Jury room or was it deleted when the case was summarized for the Hearing Archive?

(Stupid question - I can check on this myself)

But if it is still locked by visible, we should ask Wilko whether he wants it deleted. As the Charter stands now (soon to be ratified, I hope) those threads have to be deleted at the request of the member. Wilko isn't here to find out that the new rule exists, so someone should tell him and ask what he wants to do.

Jn

Edit: well that was a stupid question. The thread is already gone.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 7:15 pm
Waiting for winter

Personally I feel that nothing should be deleted (except invites) for the reasons already stated, however, I understand the desire to avoid conflict and hurt feelings. I do, however, feel strongly that nothing should be done to any thread without the permission of the thread starter. Before anything is done to the non-invite threads in Eru’s list, the thread starters should be notified and given the opportunity to respond. If they do not want the thread deleted then the posters in those threads should be given the chance to edit their posts.

I think it may also be beneficial to allow the thread starters themselves to suggest threads that should be deleted or stored, although this could create problems. Should everyone be given the chance to delete threads they started that they don’t like?

I’ve only started one thread, but I can just imagine the firestorm that will erupt once new people realize they missed out on Donuts and Trebuchets Month. :D

[ img ]

I am a child, I'll last a while.
You can't conceive
of the pleasure in my smile.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 7:21 pm

tinwe wrote:
Should everyone be given the chance to delete threads they started that they don’t like?
I say no.

What about everyone else's posts in that thread that they don't want deleted? A person may have started a thread but they don't "own" everything in it.

Farawen didn't want her parody around anymore so she deleted the first post. I that's about all a person can do...plus edit the title.

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 9:42 pm
b77 whipping boy

Can we make Eru's list of TORC threads our mission statement? ;)

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 10:06 pm

In a way that would make sense hal. :P It definately does showcase our purpose for the last few months. Not much of a statement though. ;) :P

I found the post of Estel's and have contacted her. That's one down. :)

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 37  [ 728 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 537 »
Jump to: