No

7% [ 3 ]
Total votes: 45
Jnyusa
Post subject: CHAR. RAT.: Mayor's Office: VOTE 'till end of Jun 26 GMT
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 4:34 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Friends,

We are now opening the discussion and ratification of Article 4: Office of the Mayor. A summary of the article is given below. The full Article can be read here, 4th post down: Actual Document

We will discuss from Mon Jun 6 ~5:00pm GMT to Thur Jun 16 ~5:00pm GMT. We will vote from Thur June 16 ~5:00pm GMT to Sun Jun 26 11:59pm GMT. Ratification requires a quorum of at least 39 votes and a super-majority of at least 2/3 of the votes.

The purpose of the discussion is to uncover controversial items and remove them before voting. Please speak freely. Thanks, Jn.

SUMMARY
Article 4: Office of the Mayor

The Mayor is elected once a year in a membership-wide election. Candidates have been registered members for at least six months and must be nominated by one other member. No member may serve two consecutive terms as mayor¶1
blue text added per member comments

The Mayor’s duties include record keeping, notification to members and admins, verification of eligibilities, scheduling Administrator terms of office, designating spokespersons, greeting new members and presiding at boardwide functions, ¶2

• Record Keeping: join dates for eligibility to enter the Admin pool and the Jury Pool; dates of last service as Admin, juror, mediator and loremaster. These records are posted publically in the Mayor’s forum.

Member objections to admin pool entrants; complaints against Admins; start and end dates of all penalties. These records are posted in the hidden Admin forum. They are not viewable by the public.

• Verification: per Article 3 (already ratified) it is the Mayor who will determine eligibility to enter the Admin pool after six months of ‘continuous, visible and contributory presence’ by members.

•Notifications: notify members of eligibilities; notify and resolve objections to a member’s entry into the admin pool; notify members when their admin term is coming up; notify admins when penalties imposed by a jury begin and end; post prominently the Admin pool, Jury pool, and mediators in the appropriate forums.

•Scheduling: per Article 3 (already ratified) the Mayor schedules the Admin terms of office

• Designating Spokespersons: Any member with news or a concern that affects the whole board should alert the Mayor by posting in the Mayor’s forum. The Mayor authorizes individual members to transact with the public on behalf of the board when this is necessary.

•Greeting: When new members join, they will receive an email from the Mayor informing them of their eligibilities under our democratic system.

For official matters, the Mayor will post under the screen name “Mayor.” ¶3 For public record keeping purposes, a subforum entitled Michel Delving will be added to the Outside Forum. It will be a read and write forum so that members can post there any official business of which the Mayor should be aware. The Administrator Pool and the roster of new entrants to the Administrator Pool will be kept there.

For keeping record of penalties and complaints which are not supposed to be public, the Mayor will have access to the hidden Admin forum and will maintain whatever threads are necessary for record keeping. The Mayor will not, however, have any administrator powers.

The Jury Pool will continue to be posted in the Jury Room (as soon as we have a Jury Pool) and Mediators will be posted in the Bike Racks (as soon as we have mediators).

THIS VOTE WILL REMAIN OPEN until Sunday, June 26, 11:59 pm GMT

Last edited by Jnyusa on Thu 16 Jun , 2005 9:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Faramond
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Jun , 2005 10:11 pm
Digger

1. The nature of the mayoral election is a bit vague ... it's not addressed in the charter either. So ... what kind of election is the mayoral election going to be? I believe it should be specified, not left up to assumption or the guidance of loremasters.

2. Is it the kind of election where everyone votes for just one candidate, and a simple plurality wins? If it is, I must say I am slightly uncomfortable with the idea of maybe 6 people running for mayor and one of them winning with say 25% of the vote.

3. About mayoral eligibility ... it seems we are allowing a person to serve consecutive terms as Mayor. I have a small problem with this as a matter of principle, though I can think of several people I wouldn't mind seeing serve consecutive terms.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Jun , 2005 10:43 pm

Faramond, the exact nature of the election of the mayor is indeed one of those items that is still left on the agenda for the convention, when it reconvenes. Perhaps you would be interested in coming back and helping out with these last (but still important) issues? There will be an announcement about reconfiguring the committee again for the final push soon, and I for one would value your participation.

As for the eligibility issue that you raise, I don't believe the question ever came up in the convention. My feeling about this is pretty much exactly the same as yours: I have a small problem with it as a matter of principle, but I can think of several people I wouldn't mind seeing serve consecutive terms.

I would not mind adding something to the text specifying that members can not serve consecutive terms as Mayor if there are others that would like to see this added, and no major objections to doing so.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Jun , 2005 11:08 pm

Right, Faramond. This Article is not finished yet. :)

Because the mayor is mentioned in other Article, we had to officially create the office, but that's about all we've done at this point. We couldn't hope to hold elections before opening.

btw, I don't mind adding the provision (in ¶1 I suppose) that the Mayor cannot serve consecutive terms.

Jn

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 10 Jun , 2005 12:03 am
Try to stay perky

Sounds like a common sense addition and shouldn't raise any ire, as we have the same provision for the rangers.

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
IdylleSeethes
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 10 Jun , 2005 2:28 am

Jnyusa,

I don't mind, since it puts it in sync with the rangers.

Is there an echo in here?

Idylle in exile: the view over the laptop on a bad day
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Faramond
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 10 Jun , 2005 5:19 am
Digger

An echo ... or an uncanny synchronicity?

Profile Quote
Frelga
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Jun , 2005 12:57 am
A green apple painted red

I'm curious, has any member indicated that he/she would be willing to commit to a one-year term?

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Jun , 2005 1:47 am

No one has been so bold. :)

But if the Article is ratified, and we set up the forum, I am going to suggest a way to organize the work - and put it into a Handbook - that will make the job less scary-looking.

Except under unusual circumstances, it should require no more than weekly checking of eligibilities. The big question is whether someone expects to be around for a whole year.

Jn

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Jun , 2005 1:59 am
Another bright red day

How did I manage to completely miss this thread for a week? :doh1: :help:

I was wondering the same thing as Frelga. A year seems like a rather long term.

Also, what if the mayor has to leave? IE, what if they go on vacation for a few weeks, are away for a long time because of family stuff/RL, etc? Would we have a temporary mayor (perhaps one of the people who has already served and knows what they're doing)?

Other than that, it looks good. I certainly can't think of anymore objections at the moment. ;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Jun , 2005 3:39 am
Try to stay perky

MaidenOfTheShieldarm wrote:
Also, what if the mayor has to leave? IE, what if they go on vacation for a few weeks, are away for a long time because of family stuff/RL, etc? Would we have a temporary mayor (perhaps one of the people who has already served and knows what they're doing)?
That's also been my concern since the mayoral office was mooted.

Quite so! There was an option for a back up/assistant for precisely those reasons, but it was not supported in the vote.

The top office is destined to be a lonely place. :cool: Apparently it's always lonely at the top.

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Jun , 2005 3:52 am
Another bright red day

If there is to be no understudy or assistant, then I would definitely say a shorter term. Perhaps, six months? It just seems easier to work with.
For one thing, a one year term seems rather daunting. Secondly, what if someone has to leave, or something happens that causes them to be away from the boards? It's terribly hard to predict what's going to happen in the next year.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Jun , 2005 3:59 am
Try to stay perky

Too late. This is the item we have in front of us for ratification

I guess that we could pass an amendment at a later stage if the mayor finds the expectations too onerous.

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Jun , 2005 4:01 am
Another bright red day

Oh well. :|

I wasn't quite sure if that was still an option so I thought I'd post my objections anyway. :P

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Jun , 2005 4:01 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I believe we voted that the mayor will be able to say whether an assistant is needed once he/she gets in the office and can see how much time it will take.

I fully plan on being around for a year and being active. Just sayin'. Of course I can't know what the future holds...noone does...so nothing is a guarantee.

Last edited by Eruname on Tue 14 Jun , 2005 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Jun , 2005 4:02 am
Try to stay perky

:)

That's why it's posted after all - to get member feedback.

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Jun , 2005 4:13 am
Another bright red day

Eruname wrote:
I believe we voted that the mayor will be able to say whether an assistant is needed once he/she gets in the office and can see how much time it will take.
Glad to hear it. :) Not that it's really my concern, as I probably won't end up as mayor, but still. . .
Quote:
That's why it's posted after all - to get member feedback.
Well, now you have mine, useless though it may be. :P I wonder why so few people have posted, even to say they approve. Seems like a rather important bit. Just wanted to add my two cents.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Jun , 2005 4:25 am

Eruname wrote:
I fully plan on being around for a year and being active. Just sayin'. Of course I can't know what the future holds...noone does...so nothing is a guarantee.
I'm happy to hear that. I wouldn't want to nominate you if I didn't think you were going to be around. :)

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Jun , 2005 4:35 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

:)

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Jun , 2005 5:52 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Eru, the post is Mayor, not Mayoress. Chicks aren't eligible. Just as there are no female disciples = there should not be female priests, then since Tolkien had no Mayoresses = B77 should not have them either.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 42 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Jump to: