The Last Homely Site on the Web

New Jury Room Sticky for Review

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 34 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Jnyusa
Post subject: New Jury Room Sticky for Review
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 7:06 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

Here is the new Jury Room sticky - How to Use the Jury Room. This would be the first post of the thread, and the list of Jury Pool members would be the second post. If everyone approves, this would replace the existing thread (which can be deleted) and would be posted under the Administrator i.d.

Jn
THE JURY ROOM is used for Hearings.

This is a Read Only Forum. To post in the Jury Room, you must be enabled by an administrator. This will happen if you are called to a Hearing, are serving as a Juror or Loremaster, or have been asked to post as a witness.

If you are enabled to post in this forum, please behave responsibly and post only in that thread which concerns you. Posters who interfere with ongoing Hearings may be considered for banning.

If you feel you have something constructive to contribute to an ongoing Hearing, please contact one of the jurors by PM and they will call you as a witness if this seems appropriate and helpful.

HEARINGS

Hearings are convened by a current Administrator when a violation of the by-laws is observed by an administrator or reported by a member and confirmed to the satisfaction of two current Administrators.

An Administrator will contact the involved member(s) at least 24 hours before the Hearing is convened. If you have been called to a Hearing, it is in your interest to read Article 5 of the Governance and Administrative Procedures found in our Charter. This article contains your rights during a Hearing and the procedure that will be followed.

An Administrator will convene the Hearing by opening a thread in the Jury Room and stating the reason for the Hearing. If two administrators conferred on the hearing, both their names will appear in the first post.

The Administrator(s) will assemble a jury of six members and one alternate by selecting jurors from the pool in the order in which they entered. If you have been called to a Hearing, you have the right to contest two jurors. A sufficient number of jurors are selected by the Administrator(s) so each member involved may contest two of them. Members eligible for Jury Duty are listed in the second post of this thread.

Once the jury is assembled and their names are posted in the thread, you may give your side of the issue. The jury may ask questions and call witnesses, and you may request witnesses on your own behalf. The jury will decide when sufficient information has been considered, and they will notify you 24 hours before closing the Hearing. If you have anything else to add, you must do it at that time.

The jury is allowed to request that a Loremaster oversee the Hearing to ensure that proper procedure is followed. You also have access to the Loremaster as a resource regarding your rights under the Charter, but the Loremaster provides oversight only and does not serve as an advocate for any party.

The jury is allowed to deliberate in private, and will try to reach a decision within ten days. They will decide whether a violation of by-laws has occurred, and what the penalty should be. You will be notified of their decision by email 24 hours before they post their decision in the thread. When the Hearing is over, the thread will be locked and you may request that it be deleted. These threads are only deleted at the request of the member(s) involved.

Posters must abide by the decision of a jury.

If you have been asked to edit a post or remove a picture, you must comply within 24 hours. If any of your posting rights have been suspended temporarily or permanently, your permissions will be changed by an administrator within 24 hours.

You may, however, appeal the decision of the jury and/or the penalty imposed under certain circumstances. Please see Article 5, ¶8 for a list of your rights to appeal.

If you have been placed under an Immediate Ban, you must petition to have the ban reversed. It will not automatically terminate at a certain date. You may petition to reverse the ban after one month has passed by sending e-mail request from the address used to register to any Administrator. Administrators may wait an additional two months before convening a Hearing to reverse the ban, depending on the original offense.

For all other penalties, an expiry date is specified and your permissions will be automatically restored when the penalty expires. If this does not happen, contact the Mayor.

Discussions and decisions from a Hearing may be preserved in the Archive with the poster’s name deleted.

HEARINGS ON A BAN

If an Immediate Ban is imposed by the jury, the recommendation of the Jury is not final. The members at large will vote whether or not to ban a member for an unspecified duration. The vote will be held in the Business Forum for ten days.

If the vote of the membership is tied, the recommendation of the jury will hold.

If the recommendation to ban is overturned by a vote of the membership, the poster will be on three-month probation. If new bannable offenses are committed during that period, a new jury with six different members will be convened according to the same terms as above, but this time the decision of the jury will be final.

The Hearing thread will be deleted as soon as: (a) the poster has not been banned by the jury, or (b) the vote of the membership has concluded, or (c) a probation period has expired, whichever of these comes last.

For all temporary bans, the duration is specified and no vote of the membership is required.

HEARINGS TO REMOVE AN ADMINISTRATOR

Administrative powers are revoked for the duration of the hearing and the Administrator is restricted to the Jury Room.

The jury may only decide whether or not the offense in question has been committed. If they decide that it has, the Administrator will be removed from office. No other penalties are allowed.

Last edited by Jnyusa on Wed 08 Jun , 2005 2:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 7:47 am
Try to stay perky

On first reading it seems to well and truly cover it all clearly. I have, however, printed it out so I can read again and refer to Article 5 as I do it.

I did notice a typo. Is it approprite to point out here?

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 11:22 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Looks very complete to me :D

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 11:58 am
WYSIWYG

Apart from the error in the colour-code in the first line, and this typo:
you have the right the contest two jurors it looks good.

However, two small comments:

I thought there was some information in there which goes beyond the use of the Jury Room - the whole process of hearings is explained - I'm not saying it shouldn't be there, but it surprised me. All this is of course very important to know, and putting it right on top of where the hearings take place is probably the best thing for quick information of participants, but some of it, like abiding by the decisions, or rights for appeal, go beyond "How to use the Jury Room", I thought.
(My concern about this is that the text is pretty long and difficult, and people might give up half way through. I'm not suggesting change, though, as I think there's probably no other way to explain about the Jury Room and about Hearings in a concise and easily visible way. Just saying this as an observation.)

I was also surprised by the definition: The Jury Room is used for Hearings.
If the Jury Room is only for hearings, does that mean that future governance discussions will be held in the Business Forum?

(I stumbled a bit over this one, too: sending a written request to any Administrator - how else could you make a request to an admin in an online community? )

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 12:16 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

TH: yes I think the Business room would be open for future disucssion amongst the membership at large re changes of the consitution or any other issues. Only when a annel is formed (and I believe we'll get to that discussion just as soon as we get to the how to ammend the charter)should the pannel deliberate in the Jury room (or we create another subforum within OUTSIDE to keep things neat).

But why stumble over sending a written request to any Administrator ? That only comes into play if someone has been banned (immediate) ban. They cannot post, so if they want to appeal the only way to do it is through writing to an Admin who will then have to post the appeal on the board (e,.g. Confidential Management) to allow Administrators may wait an additional two months before convening a Hearing to reverse the ban, depending on the original offense. The info will be available to the Admins to discuss and maximum within that time period a new hearing will be opened.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 2:04 pm
WYSIWYG

Alandriel, I "stumbled" over it in a humourous sense - short of calling a person on the phone (which I couldn't really see happening, or maybe that's just because I'm not in phone-contact with anyone?) there is no other way except a written request - it's just one of those "stating the obvious" things, which made me smile. ;)

As to the first point: the definition says it's only for hearings - I'm wondering whether, if it can also be used for other things, like discussing governance questions, the first sentence should say so?

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 4:00 pm

TH - I fixed the typos. Thanks for reading so carefully. These documents are starting to spin before my eyes.

Actually, re 'written request' , it might be better to change that to 'email request' because what I had in mind was the point that Alandriel mentioned - we want a record that can be kept on file. I wouldn't want it to happen by IM between buddies, for example, or by phone (which does happen). The request should have some formality.

What do yo think?

Regarding stating the obvious and using the Jury Room for other things ... I was coming at this from the following perspective:

N00b registers, goes from forum to forum seeing what's there. Jury Room - used for Hearings.

Most of the time, what will be happening in here is nothing. The noob will se a bunch of locked threads, and the usual use of the room (Hearings) will be enough to answer their question.

The other person I wanted to address thoroughly is the person who is called for a Hearing. They really do need to be able to see the whole process in a nutshell before referring to the Charter.

Jn

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 4:05 pm
Living in hope

Should it be "e-mail request from the address used to register"? That's what the admins came up with for password changes after the Holby Incident ;) , and it's what we seem to be using for "official" communications from people, such as certifying they're over 13 or 18.

I can't imagine why someone would pretend to be someone else to try to get a ban reversed, but it might happen.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 4:13 pm

Right, Prim. Let me change that now.

And put it on the next agenda item as an Amendment to consider for Article 3 and 5.

Jn

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 8:27 pm
WYSIWYG

Jny, that's fine with me - I agree that it's a good way to give an overview over hearing procedures for those who find themselves in one right at the top of the forum.
I was just wondering whether, if it says "it's for Hearings" that means it can't be used for anything else (like governance discussions) - are they to be held in Business in future then?

Good point about IM - although yahoo IM has an archive, so anything said there is as good as written! :devil:

But yes, definitely formal - and from the right address, like Prim said! :oops: :D

From our key principles:

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 8:39 pm

if it says "it's for Hearings" that means it can't be used for anything else

We've already set the precedent for using it for something else. :) But seriously, in the future, it might be a good idea to do amendments and such in the Business Forum.

When this convention reconvenes after our break, I think we'll continue to meet here, because we need a place apart where we can have multiple threads running at once. But after we are finished completely and disband, it is hard for me to imagine a process quite like this taking place in the future. Presumable, if something needed amending, that would be handled in a single thread and could easily be done in the B-forum.

Jn

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 8:56 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Absolutely... and :D to the changes

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Jun , 2005 1:32 am
Try to stay perky

Have re-read the print out and digested.

Says everything, says it clearly, no problems that I could see at all.

I concur with the clarifications made in the posts above re use of the Jury Room vs Business Forum, and with regard to communications with admins.

BTW, I consider using Yahoo IM as written archive unethical - like recording a phone conversation for later use. Just as in a phone conversation, unless you advise the other person involved in an IM conversation that you are recording his/her words, using that conversation later is not on.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject: Re: New Jury Room Sticky for Review
Posted: Wed 08 Jun , 2005 1:38 am
Living in hope

Jn, there's one little thing under "Hearings on a Ban":
Jnyusa wrote:
If the recommendation to ban is overturned by a vote of the membership, the poster will be on three-month probation. If new bannable offenses are committed during that period, a new jury with three different members will be convened according to the same terms as above, but this time the decision of the jury will be final.
Three or six members for the second jury?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Jun , 2005 2:01 am

Six. Something I missed when editing the original version. Thanks, Prim. I'll fix it.

Jn

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Jun , 2005 2:10 am
Living in hope

We're going to need a nice big jury pool, aren't we? Since we'll need to put up eleven potential jurors every time.

Of course, the ones who don't serve can be recycled. But I hope the pool gets big enough that we don't develop a guild of professional jurors.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Jun , 2005 3:00 am
Try to stay perky

"The Guild of Professional Jurors"

Has a certain ring to it.

Or should that be Ring to it...prrreciousssssss :halo:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Jun , 2005 3:19 am

They'll sit in the jury room and eat melange ...

ick, that reminds me of a creepy sci fi story about a group of onlookers that shows up at every accident and decides whether the victim will live or die ....

:Q :Q :Q :Q

go forth and recruit jurors!!

Jn

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Jun , 2005 3:44 pm
WYSIWYG

Jnyusa wrote:
if it says "it's for Hearings" that means it can't be used for anything else

We've already set the precedent for using it for something else. :) But seriously, in the future, it might be a good idea to do amendments and such in the Business Forum.

When this convention reconvenes after our break, I think we'll continue to meet here, because we need a place apart where we can have multiple threads running at once. But after we are finished completely and disband, it is hard for me to imagine a process quite like this taking place in the future. Presumable, if something needed amending, that would be handled in a single thread and could easily be done in the B-forum.

Jn
Ok, thanks Jny! :) (We're going to take a break? Didn't know that! :Q )
Quote:
BTW, I consider using Yahoo IM as written archive unethical - like recording a phone conversation for later use. Just as in a phone conversation, unless you advise the other person involved in an IM conversation that you are recording his/her words, using that conversation later is not on.
Um, yes - this little fellow :devil: normally indicates that one isn't being entirely serious. :roll:

From our key principles:

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Jun , 2005 10:45 pm

If there are no further corrections to the text of this sticky, perhaps a kindly admin could delete the 'How To Use the Jury Room' thread that I had posted and create a new one under the Administrator i.d. with this text in the first post.

Once that thread is up, the volunteers for Jury Duty, and loremaster can be put into the second post and the admins won't have to keep track of them in private files.

Those who volunteered for mediator can have their names listed in the second post of the Bike Racks 'How To' sticky as well.

Jn

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 34 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: