To-do list for opening

Post Reply   Page 4 of 6  [ 119 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 1:20 am
Triathlete

truehobbit wrote:
we all have never activated a new poster.
Not on purpose, anyways.:roll:

As for the color thing, well, I sort everything in color. You should see the rough drafts of my reports - rather festive.

I PMd Jny about the Mayor's forum. Since the vote isn't in yet, it would be premature to set it up yet. She suggests waiting until the vote is pretty much decided, say Saturday morning, with a Mayor screen name created, and the password given to her, so that she can post things there. I may not be available this weekend (got a hot date with my hubby :D) so I'm unvolunteering to do that task.

Should Michel Delving be in "Outside" or "Forum Management"? It's not clear to me exactly what goes in the forum why one person needs a whole forum to herself/himself.

And why is it that the section named "Outside" is increasingly focused on forums that can't be seen outside? Does it need a new name? Or could all that stuff be combined into the Board Admin section?

EDIT to add: Do we have an official disclaimer for the beginning and end of the TORC-sensitive threads? If someone cuts and pastes them into this thread, it'll be handy for someone to add them to the beginnings and endings of each thread, and lock the 22 threads, when the vote is finished, June 25th, 11 PM GMT. Do the threads going to the history forum get a different disclaimer?

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 1:56 am
Living in hope

laureanna wrote:
I PMd Jny about the Mayor's forum. Since the vote isn't in yet, it would be premature to set it up yet. She suggests waiting until the vote is pretty much decided, say Saturday morning, with a Mayor screen name created, and the password given to her, so that she can post things there. I may not be available this weekend (got a hot date with my hubby :D) so I'm unvolunteering to do that task.
I will be around this weekend—my own husband and sons are going backpacking and I'll be done with work. So I can do this, unless someone else would like to.
laureanna wrote:
Should Michel Delving be in "Outside" or "Forum Management"? It's not clear to me exactly what goes in the forum why one person needs a whole forum to herself/himself.

And why is it that the section named "Outside" is increasingly focused on forums that can't be seen outside? Does it need a new name? Or could all that stuff be combined into the Board Admin section?
The Mayor's job will call for a lot of threads for keeping track of things. The only way to keep them orderly is to have a forum for them. The Rangers need their forum for Ranger things, and all the other forums are spoken for (Jury Room, etc.).

I think it would fit in Board Administration.

"Outside" I agree is losing its relevance as a name—should we discuss another, or are the other Rangers content with it?
laureanna wrote:
EDIT to add: Do we have an official disclaimer for the beginning and end of the TORC-sensitive threads? If someone cuts and pastes them into this thread, it'll be handy for someone to add them to the beginnings and endings of each thread, and lock the 22 threads, when the vote is finished, June 25th, 11 PM GMT. Do the threads going to the history forum get a different disclaimer?
We should discuss this. I think there were some versions that people liked, but I may not remember right. I won't have time to plow through the thread in Business until tomorrow afternoon. But yes, it would make excellent sense to have both texts here for cutting and pasting convenience.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 2:25 am

Here are the texts of the disclaimers that were discussed and (I thought) generally agreed upon.

Beginning of thread:

This thread was active during the upheavals on TORC and here at board77 in the first few months of 2005. Please remember as you read that many posts were made in the heat of the moment. Also, please note that this thread is no longer active; the board has moved on from these events. However, the members of board77 have decided that to delete these threads would be counter to our principles of transparency and openness.

End of thread:

This thread is locked because the discussion has ended and the topic is no longer relevant. This edit was made in the last post in order to prevent bumping the thread. [date locked]

I don't believe the history forum threads need any disclaimers.

I'd be willing to add the disclaimers and lock the the threads on Saturday after the poll officially is over (even though I have consistently insisted that there was no reason why it needed to last for 10 days, and was essentially over after 10 hours).

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 2:29 am
Living in hope

Voronwe, I agree with both disclaimers and that they are not needed in the history forum threads. As I remember, there was pretty much consensus about these.

I would be happy to help on Saturday, if there's need.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 3:10 am

I would be more then happy to share the task with you. :)

Assuming the turning off permissions is all finished by then

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 3:13 am
Living in hope

There you go, nagging again! :x

Just kidding.

I hope it will be done by then, because I want to get back to fun stuff.

I definitely want to help blow up the Invites forum, for example, even if I'm just watching with earplugs and safety goggles.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 3:29 am

That sounds like a one-woman job to me. :)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 3:30 am
Living in hope

We should draw straws.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 3:41 am

Based on my comment above, I'm out of the running. :devil:

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 4:05 am
Living in hope

:blackeye

I wonder how Hobby and laureanna are going to like the atmosphere in here next month? Pinups everywhere, crumpled beer cans, disarranged doilies. . . .

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 7:43 am
Per aspera ad astra

I read laureanna's list yesterday and stated to my grest distress that most of the things to be done are on the week-end before opening - so that's impossible for me. :(

I agree on the six points of activating users, including point 6, so that every timea ranger loggs on he can see who has already been activated.

I would also say to send out two e-mails, one technical (the automatic one) and one with a more personal welcome.

I don't know if I'll be gone in the week of the 9th to 16th of july, but if it comes true, I want to be able to leave without regrets or responsiblities left behind....as you all agreed to the switch between Hobby and me, I would like to keep it that way (so deactivate me on the 1st or on the 9th, just what suits better).

Oh - and should we not change the subtitle of ToE to Discussions not suitable for children (I have to look up the precise text in the charter)

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 10:55 am
WYSIWYG

If anyone disarranges my doilies they're going to get :salmon:

Apart from that it looks like I can start on the beer myself - is there anything left to do for me? :neutral:

Nin, I think it should be ok to deactivate you on the 9th rather than the 1st - what do the others think? There's probably enough work in the first couple of weeks after opening. :)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 11:56 pm
Living in hope

Just FYI, I went into Deleted Threads Storage and locked all the invite-related threads—looked at the others to make sure they weren't "sensitive". So Saturday we just delete those 22 locked threads.

I left unlocked two threads related to the Wilko incident. I am not sure what the plan is for those. One is the hearing thread; the other is the discussion of the incident as it happened.

Edit: In Sensitive Information we also still have the thread where we pasted people's voting PMs on Article 6. That should go, should it not? The margin was decisive.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Jun , 2005 5:10 am

Primula_Baggins wrote:
Voronwe, I agree with both disclaimers and that they are not needed in the history forum threads. As I remember, there was pretty much consensus about these.

I would be happy to help on Saturday, if there's need.
Actually, I got a PM tonight from Impy that reminded me that there was some unease about the end of thread disclaimer. She wrote:
Quote:
Doug, with regards to the disclaimer for the end of a thread, I would like to suggest that you rethink "the discussion has ended and the topic is no longer relevant" because if the person reading it is upset by the contents, that sentence will be a red rag to a bull - it will be VERY relevant to their emotional state at that time.

Could that sentence perhaps say " the discussion has ended and we strongly urge that it not be rekindled as the past is best left behind." or something to that effect.

I'm sorry to disturb you with it, but I've been thinking about it for a few days and I'm really uneasy that those words will prickle rather than pacify.
I must say, I do agree with her that this is a potential problem. I'm not sure her suggested edit is exactly what it should say either. Here is my suggestion (its a bit wordy, but I think more accurate and less likely to cause upset):

This thread is locked because the discussion has ended and the membership current at the time has moved on. This edit was made in the last post in order to prevent bumping the thread. [date locked]

What do you guys think? I'd kind of like to resolve this among ourselves (with any comments from other members being made by PM like Impy did, but without having to start a whole membership wide discussion). Any other suggestions that might be better then mine?

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Jun , 2005 6:09 am
Living in hope

I suggest:
Quote:
This thread is locked because the discussion has ended, and we have moved on. This edit was made in the last post in order to prevent bumping the thread. [date locked]
We are the membership current at the time. Keep it simple and straightforward.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Jun , 2005 9:03 am
WYSIWYG

Yes, I don't like the "past is best left behind" part either.

"Membership current at the time" is a bit unwieldy, I think, but shortened to Prim's version, I wonder if the statement is not just as blunt (and hence provoking) as the original?

Will think about when I have more time. :)

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Jun , 2005 1:48 pm

Primula_Baggins wrote:
I suggest:
Quote:
This thread is locked because the discussion has ended, and we have moved on. This edit was made in the last post in order to prevent bumping the thread. [date locked]
We are the membership current at the time. Keep it simple and straightforward.
But at the time that new people will be reading this, we will not just be the membership current at the time. I agree with Hobby that this has the potential to be just as off-putting as the original.

But I agree with both of you that my suggestion is awkward and wordy.

How about (repeating just a bit from the disclaimer at the beginning of the threads):
Quote:
This thread is locked because the discussion has ended, and the board has moved on from these events. This edit was made in the last post in order to prevent bumping the thread. [date locked]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Jun , 2005 1:54 pm
Living in hope

I like that, Voronwe. It's less personal, and so possibly less provocative.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Jun , 2005 3:57 pm
Triathlete

How about this:

This thread was locked because the discussion came to some resolution, and the participants wished to lay it to rest. This edit was made in the last post in order to prevent bumping the thread. [date locked]

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Jun , 2005 4:02 pm

That works for me as well. :)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 6  [ 119 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: