board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

ToE Sticky

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 30 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject: ToE Sticky
Posted: Fri 17 Jun , 2005 10:27 pm

Friends, here is the proposed text for the new ToE sticky.
Quote:
1. Do not post or read this forum if you are under the age of 18.
If you are easily offended by conversations of a sexual nature, or are legally to young to read them (Under 18 years of age), then this forum is not for you.
Please contact an admin to be disallowed access to the forum.
By reading and posting in this forum, you acknowledge that you are over the age of 18.
The administrators and owners of this website cannot be held responsible for any minors who access this forum.

2. Do not repeat anything from this forum to anyone who is not a member of THIS forum!
If you do not see a person posting in here, assume that they do not have access.
I cannot emphasize enough how important privacy is in this forum. If you feel you cannot respect that, please PM an admin immediately, so that your permissions for this forum can be removed.

3. Do not post explicit pictures in this forum.
There are people here who post from work, and the picture you post could be the picture that gets them fired from their job.

4. Do not post erotic chat in this forum.
If you want to describe what you want to do to/with another poster sexually, take it to email / YM / IM or a message board where that is allowed/encouraged.
In other words, no cyber-sex. There are plenty of other venues to take part in that type of convo. Don't do it here.
Can some friendly committe members go through this and confirm that it confirms with the requirements of Article 6?

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 17 Jun , 2005 10:36 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Quote:
I cannot emphasize enough how important privacy is in this forum. If you feel you cannot respect that, please PM an admin immediately, so that your permissions for this forum can be removed.
The *I* should be changed to *we* and admin will most probably be changed to Ranger ;) Other than that I can't see any fault with with though it's late here.. so I will check more thoroughly tomorrow morning.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 17 Jun , 2005 11:00 pm
Living in hope

A quick take on it is that it's oriented toward "if you don't like this or you're under 18, have your permissions removed." But we're asking people to certify that they're over 18 to get in there in the first place. So saying "posting here means you say you're 18" doesn't cover us, does it?

Also, "to" in the second sentence ("to young") should be "too."

[ img ]

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 18 Jun , 2005 3:44 pm
WYSIWYG

I think the first sentence sounds as if people might very well get access to the forum if they are under 18, and we just kindly ask them not to use their permissions in that case - or something like that.
I find it a bit confusing.
Shouldn't we assume that under 18s don't get in there in the first place?

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 6:37 am
Try to stay perky

Voronwe, sorry this slipped past me.

I handled the discussion of the ToE forum with the ToE forum posters, who have already reviewed this and decided on the text, which is here:
Quote:
1. Do not post or read this forum if you are under the age of 18.
If you are easily offended by conversations of a sexual nature, or are legally too young to read them (under 18 years of age), then this forum is not for you.
Please contact an admin to be disallowed access to the forum.
By reading and posting in this forum, you acknowledge that you are over the age of 18.
The administrators and owners of this website cannot be held responsible for any minors who access this forum.

2. Do not repeat anything from this forum to anyone who is not a member of THIS forum!
If you do not see a person posting in here, assume that they do not have access.
It cannot be emphasized enough how important privacy is in this forum. If you feel you cannot respect that, please PM an admin immediately, so that your permissions for this forum can be removed.

3. Do not post explicit pictures in this forum.
There are people here who post from work, and the picture you post could be the picture that gets them fired from their job.

4. Do not post erotic chat in this forum.
If you want to describe what you want to do to/with another poster sexually, take it to email / YM / IM or a message board where that is allowed/encouraged.
In other words, no cyber-sex. There are plenty of other venues to take part in that type of convo. Don't do it here.
Basically, the consensus was that if it's not broken, don't fix it.

They wanted to keep the statement regarding age, just in case someone does get in there. It's a clear emphasis that you can't slip under the ropes and is yet another safeguard should anyone at any time call us on the issue of minors.

I should have posted the results of the discussion here earlier but I was suffering another crisis of confidence (it's regular and cyclical) and asked Eru to do so - it must have slipped her attention.

Please, let's not reinvent the wheel. :)

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 7:40 am
Tricksy Elf!

Quote:
Just to add to this, can we also say "Please do not discuss anything discussed in this forum elsewear on this board." I only add that because I know how comments in one forum can be carried on to another, even jokingly.

Odd sly hints to something someone may have mentioned in ToE may effect the way they are perceived elsewear.

For everything else, I agree with Impy ;)

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 8:03 am
of Vinyamar

Hobby, I think there are a number of reasons for the first sentence. If for no other reason, it's very possible that a minor could accidentally stumble in there while browsing Mom or Dad's favourites list on a Family PC with cookies enabled. It's not likely to keep them out but it does no harm to have it there and it covers us in the eventuality.

I just like it as a reinforcement. It's like, "Remember where you are guys! You have a responsibility in this forum above and beyond what's expected elsewhere. Don't abuse it."

Cheers,
Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 11:47 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Yes - what Dindraug and Alatar said :)

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 1:36 pm

Imp, I believe that the text that you posted is the same is that which I posted. :)

I don't want to re-invent the wheel, I just want to make sure that the sticky text does not contradict the charter.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 4:42 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Impenitent wrote:
I should have posted the results of the discussion here earlier but I was suffering another crisis of confidence (it's regular and cyclical) and asked Eru to do so - it must have slipped her attention.
I sent the agreed upon ToE sticky via PM to Voronwe...just like you asked me to do Imp. :confused:

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 6:23 pm

Indeed you did, Eru; that is the text that I posted in the first post of this thread. :)

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 8:05 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Well, the two texts are indeed identical except for the two typos. I guess that got 'lost in translation' ;)

Since the new 'Guide to b77' should have to have a reference link to the info contained in this sticky (as well as a reference link to the relevant charter page) but cannot link directly to the sticky in TOE (a new poster does not have access without prior request yet does need to see this info) I have suggested to put this information up as a seperate stand-alone page on our geocities site, from where then the 'Guide' could link to.

In that case, my suggestion is to slightly alter the wording as to make it more clear such which forum is being talked about (changes underlined)

1. Do not post or read in the Thinking of England forum (ToE) if you are under the age of 18. If you are easily offended by conversations of a sexual nature, or are legally too young to read them (under 18 years of age), then this forum is not for you.
Please contact an admin/Ranger to be disallowed access to the forum should you be underage or have not requested access.
By reading and posting in this forum, you acknowledge that you are over the age of 18. The administrators /Rangers and owners of this website cannot be held responsible for any minors who access this forum.

2. Do not repeat anything from the ToE forum to anyone who is not a member of the ToE ! Please do not discuss or allude to anything discussed in the forum elsewear on this board.
If you do not see a person posting in the ToE forum, assume that they do not have access. It cannot be emphasized enough how important privacy is in this forum. If you feel you cannot respect that, please PM an admin immediately, so that your permissions for this forum can be removed.

3. Do not post explicit pictures in the ToE forum. There are people here who post from work, and the picture you post could be the picture that gets them fired from their job

4. Do not post erotic chat in the ToE forum.
If you want to describe what you want to do to/with another poster sexually, take it to email / YM / IM or a message board where that is allowed or encouraged.

I'm suggesting these changes for clarity's sake and for consistency. Both texts that will appear as a sticky in the ToE forum as well as on the stand-alone geocities page should be identical :)

Profile Quote
Faramond
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 8:20 pm
Digger

2. Do not repeat anything from the ToE forum to anyone who is not a member of the ToE ! Please do not discuss or allude to anything discussed in the forum elsewear on this board.

Just a small typo to fix. :)

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 12:33 am
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

Perhaps the Geocities text could also include the rules for eligibility to join ToE? And a quick explanation of what the forum is?

Since I can't see the forum on my index, I'm going to assume others cannot see it either. (I remember reading about this somewhere... something happened and we couldn't see it anymore... can't remember (!) :oops: ) It seems sort of "hidden"...

My idea was just to give newbies some idea that the forum was here, what it is about, and that it takes a while to be allowed in.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 12:36 am
Living in hope

Anth, when we open next Sunday :Q , you'll be able to see the forum name again. So will everyone, registered or not. It's just an oddity of the permissions system that you haven't been able to see the name for a while.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 12:59 am
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

Quote:
Anth, when we open next Sunday

:Q

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 1:08 am
Try to stay perky

Okay...I'll take the text back to ToE and give everyone a HOY! Then I'll PM the approved and finalised text to the admins to Sticky and new sticky in the forum and to keep the text on hand for the permission email.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 4:29 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Please let me know about the final finalized text too Impenitent. I have to updated Geocities . Thanks :)

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Jun , 2005 12:29 am
Try to stay perky

(Copied from my post in next Agenda items)

The revised text of that Sticky is even now under discussion in ToE. I've advised that I'll leave it open until the weekend for further feedback (hasn't been much) and then close down the thread and PM the final text to Jn and/or Rangers for use.

A form letter will probably be prepared for use of the Rangers to send out to all new ToE applicants which will include that Sticky note text, as all ToE applicants are required to confirm that they agree to abide by those guidelines before their permissions are turned on.

Of course, the first new applicant won't be eligible for 3 months so there's no hurry for the preparation of that letter, but do you want me to prepare it? Or shall we wait?

Alandriel - will also PM it to you. :)

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 25 Jun , 2005 12:04 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

The ToE sticky is finished as per ToE Eligibility clause and Impenitent was ok with the suggested editing suggestions which now appear on the geocities page Art.6 ¶3

The full sticky text is here on geocities, fully updated. The Rangers will, with the Administrator ID, make a new sticky IN ToE accordingly - or so is my understanding.

Hope all this is ok :) then we can, with Impenitents approval lock and move *this* thread. If there are any editing suggestions as to the geocities pages, please post your comments/suggestions in the threadConstitution document on Geocities so I can keep track of things more easily. Thanks :)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 30 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: