Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 40 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Jnyusa
Post subject: Standing and Ad Hoc Committees: VOTING CLOSED
Posted: Sat 18 Jun , 2005 11:24 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

APPROVED TEXT

Article 11: Standing Committees and Ad hoc Committees

Board77 recognizes standing committees which can be convened at any time without a vote of the membership according to the terms described here.

¶1: Committee for Amendments to the Charter

The purpose of this committee is to compose amendments to the Charter, to assure consistency between amendments and the existing Charter, and to conduct the ratification of amendments in accordance with Article 12, ¶2.

The committee will convene under two circumstances:
• A Ranger has exercised Extraordinary powers requiring review in accordance with Article 3, ¶5. The committee will decide whether the circumstance is anticipated to occur again with sufficient frequency to justify an Amendment to the Charter;
• An Initiative to amend the Charter is brought by the Mayor, or by two current Rangers, or by five members regardless of their status.

Composition of the Committee
The committee will have an odd number of members, no fewer than seven, no more than thirteen. The Mayor and one Loremaster will be voting members of this committee. The composition of the rest of the committee will be as follows:

If the committee was convened after the exercise of Extraordinary powers by a Ranger, it will also include:
• the current Ranger who was involved in the incident and one other current Ranger;
• one former Ranger;
• a minimum of two volunteers from among the rest of the membership.

If the committee was convened by an initiative of the Mayor or two current Rangers, it will also include:
• the two current Rangers who brought the initiative;
• one former Ranger;
• a minimum of two volunteers from among the rest of the membership.

If the committee was convened by an initiative of the members, it will also include:
• one current Ranger;
• one former Ranger;
• a minimum of three volunteers from among the membership, one of whom will be a member who brought the initiative;
• and if five or more volunteers are accepted from among the membership, two of them will be members who brought the initiative.

The Committee will be convened by posting a sticky thread in the Business Forum and accepting volunteers in order until the committee is filled and composed as required. Any registered member may serve on the committee.

Committee Procedure
The committee will convene in the Jury Room for deciding whether the Charter should be amended and for drafting the amendment. The committee itself will vote on elements of the amendment before presenting a final form to the membership for ratification.

The ratification procedure and the archiving of committee threads, ratification thread, and committee ballots with voting results must be completed in accordance with Article 12, ¶2.

¶2: Committee for Binding Votes and Initiatives of the Membership
The purpose of this committee is to decide whether a Binding Vote of the Membership should and can be held, in accordance with Article 7, and to conduct any subsequent voting process.

The provisions for convening this committee and the procedures they must follow are stated in full in Article 7. The committee may convene in the Jury Room for discussion, and the final ballot will be presented to the Membership in the Business Forum thread created for that purpose.

¶3: Election Committee The purpose of this committee is to convene and conduct the elections for the Mayor in accordance with Article 4, ¶4.

The committee may convene a thread in the Jury Room to coordinate the counting of the vote, but everything related to announcements, nominations, voting, and reporting of results to the members must take place in the Business Forum thread created for that purpose.

¶4: Committee for Technical Support The purpose of this committee is to communicate with our web host when necessary and to advise the membership on any technical questions relating to software and hardware capability. Members of the committee should have expertise in internet capability.

This committee should have no more than three members and may be convened by a Ranger or by the administrator of record (as designated to our web host) any time a question of a technical nature arises which cannot be readily answered by the membership.

The committee may convene in the Jury Room if necessary, but should maintain a thread in the Business Forum for communication with the membership.

¶5: Committee for Business Matters The purpose of this committee is to conduct the business interface with our web host, make final or interim selection of a host, ensure that backups are done on a timely basis, and delegate responsibility for aspects of moving the board from one host to another.

This committee will be convened upon ratification and will remain in existence as long as changing web hosts is a matter before the membership. The committee may dissolve itself when the move is complete, but may be reconvened at the request of any member if questions arise regarding the business aspects of our internet service. If members of the committee must be replaced, the administrator of record (as designated to our web host) may solicit volunteers by opening a thread in the Business Forum.

The committee may have seven or nine members. One current or former Ranger and the administrator of record (as designated to our web host) will be voting members of this committee.

The committee may convene in the Jury Room if necessary, but should maintain a thread in the Business Forum for communication with the membership.

¶6: Ad hoc Committees

All other committees are ad hoc committees, to be convened when a majority of current Rangers agree that a decision can be made by committee rather than by member vote and the decision does not fall within the purview of any standing committee. The size of an ad hoc committee can be decided by the Rangers, and any registered member may serve on such a committee. The Committee will be convened by posting a sticky thread in the Business Forum and accepting volunteers in order until the committee is filled.
We have two leftover issues that are representative of a broad class of problem. Those two issues are: Who will review an admin’s exercise of his/her extraordinary powers; and How to Amend the Charter.

The broad class of problem that these issues belong to is the naming of committees to deal with future problems.

It is customary for a charter to specify which standing committee the organization has. Committees that are convened for any other purpose are then Ad Hoc committees.

Naming the Committee does not mean that we have to name who will be on the committee, only that we have to approve the existence of such a committee so that creating such a committee it does not have to be voted on when the committee is needed. However, it is also customary to state whether any officer would automatically be a member of such a committee, and whether they would have the right to vote in the committee. For example, we could say, “ The Committee to amend the constitution must contain at least one current administrator and one former administrator with voting rights, “ or “All Standing Committees will include the Mayor as a nonvoting member.” These are just examples.

We should have a standing committee for Amendments to the Charter. It would come into being, as we did, whenever a change to the charter is needed. Who can introduce an amendment to the charter and how it gets ratified is a separate issue. What we need to do first of all is create an article that names the standing committees, and one of them should be the committee for Amendments to the Charter.

We also have to specify what body will review admin exercise of Extraordinary Powers (Article 3, ¶5). This should also be a standing committee and can be a much smaller committee than any committee convened for Amendments to the Charter, but their function is similar in being legislative rather than executive (as the admin pool is) or judicial (as the jury pool is). Their job would be, I believe, to review the action of the admin and determine whether the situation and its solution indicate that a charter amendment should be written. This committee would then have to power to convene a committee for Amending the Charter. (That would be one way an Amendment committee might be formed.)

So, what I would like to do here, first of all, is determine what sorts of standing committees we might need and write an article to create them and specify how they would be constituted.

After we’ve done that, we can move on to consider the terms by which the Charter would actually be amended, which can be a separate thread because it takes us into the realm of binding votes of the membership.

We might want the holding of a binding vote to be a decision made by standing committee as well. That means that when a vote on something is proposed, the committee would automatically convene according to the procedure that we lay out (e.g. the first five volunteers or something) and they would decide whether the vote was needed and be responsible for conducting it.

So, those are the three potential committees I can think of - please suggest others that come to mind.

Jn

Last edited by Jnyusa on Fri 08 Jul , 2005 4:09 am, edited 13 times in total.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Ethel
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 18 Jun , 2005 11:45 pm
The Pirate's Daughter

Hm. Well, one thing I've been thinking is there might need to be a standing committee for business matters: selection of web host, payment of fees, interactions with the host including arranging for backups, related legal affairs - that kind of thing. Or do you think the current crop of Rangers could handle this?

Living well is the best revenge. --George Herbert

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 19 Jun , 2005 12:50 am

Good idea, Ethel! And the automatic member of that committee would be the member functioning as Administrator of record - right now it's Alandriel and if/when we become an inc. it will be Voronwe.

Let me edit these ideas and others, as they come, into the first post.

Jn

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 12:08 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Jny and Ethel you really do think of everything. Other than those mentioned above, I cannot see where we would need another committee.

Suggestions/feedback from me:

1. Committee for Amendments to the Charter:
...a. Size = somewhat smaller than current, perhaps 8-13 :) I agree though I would advocate an odd number
...b. automatic members = 1 loremaster, 1 current Admin, 1 ex Admin + volunteers
...c. selection of members = voluntary basis
...d. manner in which convened = convened by Ext. Powers committee or through membership request (a %/quorum? of members have to want an ammendment)
...e. purpose = to write and put to ratification amendments

2. Committee for Binding Votes of the Membership
...a. Size = small, probably no more than 5 :) I agree (odd number)
...b. automatic members = 1 active Admin, 1 loremaster
...c. selection of members = volunteering
...d. manner in which convened = by Committee for Amendments to the Charter prior to ratification process
...e. purpose = to decide whether binding vote needed and to conduct

3. Committee to Review Extraordinary Powers
...a Size = small, probably no more than 5 :) I agree (odd number)
...b. automatic members = 1current + 1 former admins, loremaster and member volunteers
...c. selection of members = voluntary
...d. manner in which convened = E.P. exercised, then ...
...e. purpose = to decide whether charter amendment required

4. Committee for Business Matters
...a. Size = medium, no more than 8 / either 7 or 9 for odd number
...b. automatic members = admin of record (e.g. Alandriel/Voronwe) + volunteers incl. 1 current Admin
...c. selection of members = Voluntary
...d. manner in which convened = by admin of record or %? of membership request
...e. purpose = business interface with web host (selection of host, backups, etc.)

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 1:10 pm
of Vinyamar

Is there a need for a Technical Support Group? There may be occasions when the Admins in service are not techies and need to call on someone for help, or times when the PHPBB Software needs to be updated or bug-patched. The board should be regularly backed up and stored offline. Perhaps there should be a standing group to handle these issues?

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 1:16 pm

Good idea, Alatar. I'll add it later this afternoon.

Alandriel, I have some comments on your suggestions, but I'll have to make them later today. I appreciate your input on the automatic members because I wasn't sure how much we should plump up these committees with 'officials'.

Jn

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 11:27 pm

Alandriel,

I'm finally getting back to this! I've added your suggestions into the first post with the exception of the following:

2. Committee for Binding Votes of the Membership
...b. automatic members = 1 active Admin, 1 loremaster
...d. manner in which convened = by Committee for Amendments to the Charter prior to ratification process

Regarding (d) - this committee does not have to go in between the writing of an amendment and its ratification. The committee for amendments can carry that process through from beginning to end. What I'm thinking this committee would do would be to decide when a binding vote of the membership were required on something that is not necessarily covered by the Charter and would not result in an Amendment to the Charter.

For example, a new forum is created and we need to vote on its readibility. There will be a charter policy on readability (at least I've added it to the agenda because the question came up in Forum management) but there might be a forum where the outcome is not obvious, and we should take a member vote.

When we were going through all those invite votes and opening-the-board votes, there was a real question as to which votes were binding and how long you could wait before putting something to a vote again. We will write an article defining all those things, and the committee on Binding Votes would make sure that the vote was needed, that it conformed to the Charter article on binding votes, and they would decide whether it should be a poll or or PM, and they would conduct it and count the results.

So, I was going to say originally that we don't need the loremaster on this one, but perhaps we do since the loremaster would (theoretically) know the charter better than anyone else. And it might be appropriate to have both a current admin and a former admin, or perhaps two former admins would be even better ... there have to be people on the committee who are familiar with votes that might have been conducted in the recent past, and familiar with the charter.

The other tricky question that arises is how these committees come into being and how people volunteer, but I'm going to try first to lay out in Article form what we have so far, and then color code the things that have to be discussed.

Jn

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 12:47 am

OK - first draft for review. What's in blue has to be discussed and resolved. I'm thinking that what we need to do here is to define Initiatives of the Membership ... but that would not go into this article per se, it would go into the Article on Binding votes.

So I think what I would like to do is leave this Article as it is, with the blue text momentarily unresolved, and start a new thread on Binding Votes and Initiatives of the Membership where we can discuss exactly what form will be taken by requests that emerge spontaneously from the membership.

Meanwhile, in this thread, other details of this Article can be debated/modified.

Article 11: Standing committees and Ad hoc committees

¶1
Board77 recognizes the following standing committees which can be convened at any time according to the terms described below. All other committees are ad hoc committees, to be convened when a majority of current Rangers agree that a decision can be made by committee rather than by member vote and the decision does not fall within the purview of any standing committee.

• Committee for Amendments to the Charter: The purpose of this committee is to compose amendments to the Charter, assure consistency between the existing Charter and any amendments, and conduct the Ratification of any amendments according to Article 12, ¶2.

This committee will be convened under two circumstances:
(1) The Committee for Review of Extraordinary Powers decides that an Amendment to the Charter is required and convenes this committee;
(2) An Initiative by the Membership - suggest this be defined in Article 7 along with Binding votes

The committee will have an odd number of members, no fewer than seven, no more than thirteen. One loremaster, one current Ranger and one former Ranger will be voting members of the committee, chosen on a voluntary basis, to ensure consistency with existing Charter articles. The remainder of the committee will be filled by opening a thread in the Business Forum and accepting volunteers. Any registered member may serve on the committee.

• Committee for Binding Votes of the Membership: The purpose of this committee is to decide whether a Binding Vote of the Membership should and can be held in conformity with Article 7, ¶1 of the Charter. Binding Votes are held when a decision is most appropriately made by all the members in some circumstance that is not covered by the Charter. If this committee decides that a Binding Vote is allowed but not necessitated by the circumstance, they may convene an ad hoc committee to resolve the issue instead. If they decide that a Binding Vote can and should be held, they will decide what form the vote should take, conduct the vote, and tally and post the results.

This committee will be convened according to the provisions of Article 7.

The committee will be composed of five voting members, including a loremaster, a currrent Ranger, a former Ranger and two volunteers from the membership obtained by opening a thread in the Business forum and accepting volunteers from among the Rangers, loremasters and members until the committee is filled.

• Committee to Review Extraordinary Powers: The purpose of this committee is to decide whether a circumstance requiring the exercise of Extraordinary powers by a Ranger is anticipated to occur again with sufficient frequency to justify an Amendment to the Charter. Extraordinary Powers are exercised when a problem arises which requires action and is not covered by the existing Charter articles. If this committee decides that an amendment is required, they may convene a Committee to Amend the Charter. They may not amend the Charter themselves.

The committee will be composed of five voting members, including a loremaster, a currrent Ranger, a former Ranger and two volunteers from the membership obtained by opening a thread in the Business forum and accepting volunteers from among the Rangers, loremasters and members until the committee is filled.

• Committee for Business Matters: The purpose of this committee is to conduct the business interface with our web host, make final or interim selection of a host, ensure that backups are done on a timely basis, and delegate responsibility for aspects of moving the board from one host to another.

This committee will be convened upon ratification and will remain in existence as long as changing web hosts is a matter before the membership. The committee may dissolve itself when the move is complete, but may be reconvened at the request of any member if questions arise regarding our internet service. If members of the committee must be replaced, the administrator of record (as designated to our web host) may solicit volunteers by opening a thread in the Business Forum.

The committee may have either seven or nine members. One current Ranger and the administrator of record (as designated to our web host) will be voting members of this committee.

• Committee for Technical Support: The purpose of this committee is to communicate with our web host when necessary and advise the membership on any technical questions relating to software and hardware capability. Members of the committee should have expertise in internet capability.

This committee should have no more than three members and may be convened by a Ranger or by the administrator of record (as designated to our web host) any time a question of a technical nature arises.

• Electoral Committee: The purpose of this committee is to conduct the elections for the Mayor according to Article 4, ¶4. They will be responsible for the announcement of upcoming election, conducting the nomination process and confirming the eligibility of candidates, conducting the vote, counting the ballots and announcing the results.

The Committee will be convened by the current Mayor one month prior to elections and will be composed of three members. One member will be a current Ranger/ or there will be a fourth, non-voting member who is a current Ranger

¶2 Ad hoc Committees: These committees are convened when a majority of current Rangers agree that a decision can be made by committee rather than by member vote. The size of an ad hoc committee can be decided by the Rangers, and any registered member may serve on such a committee. The committee will be filled by opening a thread in the Business Forum and accepting volunteers.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 25 Jun , 2005 12:11 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Sorry.... I can't wrap my head around this till after Monday - there is simply too much going on atm and I need a non-fragmented brain to fully appreciate what you've put together here Jny.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 25 Jun , 2005 1:35 pm
Living in hope

I'm in the same state, but I promise to read this and comment before I leave Tuesday evening.

(I'll be gone for a week, so Jn, please don't hold up any votes for me. I'll be back in the afternoon US time on Tuesday the 5th.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Jul , 2005 6:35 am

People, I'm going to edit something approaching draft ballot form into the first post. For neatness I will first remove the outline form. If anyone wants to remember what it looked like, Alandriel has it reproduced in her post.

Meanwhile, some of these issues have been resolved, e.g. the election committee is being voted on now.

And ... I think we simplify one thing. The need for standing committees was clear to me when we talked about Extraordinary Power of Admins, and so that committee, and a charter committee like the one we have now but for amendment, were the first two committees I thought of.

But there's really no need for one committee to decide whether a charter amendment is needed and then convene another committee to do the actual amendment. These are both 'legislative' functions, so I thought I would eliminate the Committee to Review Extraordinary Powers and let the Charter Amendment committee be the one that is convened to review extraordinary powers. If they decide an amendment to the charter is needed, they can also write it and put it up for ratification. I've amended the list of Standing Committees accordingly.

We still have to resolve the Binding Vote and Member Initiative Article before we can finalize the committee that handles that.

Jn

Profile Quote
IdylleSeethes
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Jul , 2005 6:41 am

Thanks Jnyusa

Idylle in exile: the view over the laptop on a bad day
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Jul , 2005 8:42 pm

People, I've posted a Draft Ballot.

There has been almost no discussion of this issue. Though the existence of these committees is not really controversial, I've only had input from a few members regarding committee size and composition ... and these have had to be changed as we worked on other articles that affect this one.

Please take a look at how I've set this up. The committee that requires scrutiny is the first one - for Charter Amendments. We haven't done Article 12, ¶2 yet. If you find the terms of this committee too controversial and requiring of more discussion, I can handle it here the way committee on Binding Votes has been handled - simply pull all of the detail out of this article and refer to Article 12, ¶2. Then we will give it full discussion and put all the detail into that paragraph.

But we have to include the mechanism by which the committee is convened here in this Article, because Extraordinary powers will not be covered by Article 12.

Jn

edit: oops ... I just edit in two paragraphs to make sure that each of the standing committees has the right to convene in the Jury Room but will maintain a thread in the Business Forum so that members can follow along and ask questions.

I don't think there's any need to give ad hoc committees automatic jury room space, though presumably they could just ask for it if they needed it.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Jul , 2005 9:51 pm

Another veritable masterpiece of ballot construction. :)

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Jul , 2005 11:47 pm
WYSIWYG

Sorry I haven't given any input so far - I just don't understand most of the things well enough to offer an opinion.

I've half read the ballot (need a break halfway through I'm afraid) - and so far I'm wondering why it's a yes or no question for so many things?
We can just accept a whole set of terms or reject the whole set - why aren't there any options saying "I approve of this but not of that"?

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Jul , 2005 11:58 pm

Because most of it is not terribly substantive. Like, there's no point in asking people to approve that a committee conform to some other Article if we already approved the other Article.

But the places where you want to have choices are exactly what I want to hear about. I'm guessing that most objections might focus on the size or composition of the committees. So if you see a place where you want questions inserted, please shout and I will add them.

Jn

Profile Quote
IdylleSeethes
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Jul , 2005 2:32 am

Jnyusa, :Q

A wonderful job. ;)

I didn't notice a statement about how it is decided that one of the variable size committees is complete.

Idylle in exile: the view over the laptop on a bad day
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Jul , 2005 4:14 am

I didn't notice a statement about how it is decided that one of the variable size committees is complete.

You're far too observant, Idylle. Please look the other way while I neglect to deal with that. :)

Yes ... I'm aware of the problem. I guess it goes up to the maximum if it can, that is, if there is a sufficient number of volunteers. If we can't find enough interested people to meet the minimum, then the committee probably isn't needed.

Jn

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Jul , 2005 4:45 am

Allow me to refer people reading this thread to my last post OVER HERE.

The question Idylle has raised is more serious than I thought at first, and we probably need to discuss it in this thread.

Jn

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 12:33 pm

VOTING IS NOW OPEN

Voting will end Thursday at noon GMT (8:00 am EDT, 5:00am PDT)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 40 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: