The Last Homely Site on the Web

The New Comprehensive Guide

Post Reply   Page 1 of 6  [ 106 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Anthriel
Post subject: The New Comprehensive Guide
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 4:02 am
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

Updated first post: Here is the new guide... exactly what is in the Welcome Forum at this point (Friday, June 24th).

Welcome to board77!

:banana: :cheerleader: :horse: :banana: :cheerleader: :horse::banana: :cheerleader: :horse:

And welcome to the Guide to board77 thread. :) This thread is intended to give you an idea of the history and structure of the board, and a few quick references to helpful tips in navigating your journey here at board77.

First off, stop by our Welcome to b77 thread and introduce yourself! Even though we are opening the board on Sunday, June 26th, we are hosting an official Grand Opening Celebration on July 6th to fete our new members. This will also be an opportunity for current members to celebrate the end of the long process of laying the groundwork for an open board. Watch the Welcome Forum for more announcements about our Celebration!

For detailed information about how our member-moderated board is structured, please reference the b77 Charter index. There is a great deal of good information to be found there!

The History of board77(often abbreviated b77)

Where did you get that name?

Alandriel answers:
Quote:
In the days of the petition (Oct 04) I decided to open a free board on phpbb as a communication platform as discussion via email amongst so many people proved very cumbersome. And so, on October 27th, 2004 I signed up… and then had to come up with a name. For about half an hour I sat there in front of my screen… a name… a name… I didn't want an obvious reference to Tolkien. Just something.. welll… simple, innocuous. I went to make a cup of tea and then the number 77 just popped into my head. It's neither my birth-year nor did I ever think we'd get stick with 77 members. It just happened, call it serendipity – like so many other things just happen here
What happened when on b77?

Alandriel has also put together a timeline of events for b77, found here. It has a lot of good information about the early days on this board.

But I thought you were a closed board, or an invite-only board?

We were! Once the board starting growing past the first few participants, it became obvious that many people here knew they wanted this to be an open board. Unfortunately, we didn’t have the structure in place to accommodate that, until now. Hereis a great explanation of the history of our journey from closed/invite only to the open board you are visiting today!

Did it really take all this time to create an open board?

We have a great new forum, a history of the processes that have gone into opening up b77, Threads of Historical Interest. Into this forum we have moved threads relevant to the creation of b77 as an open board. Hereare the actual records of the effort and planning that went into the making of our self-moderated, democratic, open board. Major decisions were debated in committees and then submitted to the membership for ratification. Democracy can take a while! ;)

The Organization of board77

Who are the moderators?

We have no moderators here on b77… or, more accurately, we are ALL moderators here on b77. ;) This is a self-moderated board. We will rely on the expectations outlined in our charter, and on the vigilance of our members, to moderate our board.

Who are the admins?

Someday, it could be you! :) Currently, the list of admins—or Rangers, as we refer to them here at b77--- can be found here. Rangers are members of the board who have volunteered for this task (the volunteer pool can be found here)and who have established themselves as members of b77. They are only Rangers for a short period of time; people come in and out of their Ranger obligations on a rotating basis. In this way, the burden of administration is not carried by only a few people, and the people who are truly interested in participating in the administrative duties can have a chance to do so.

For a very complete and detailed explanation of the organization of b77, please refer to the b77 Charter index .

The Structure of board77

The board77 index has our forums listed. We have role-playing, lighthearted talks, serious discussions, Administrative discussions, discussions about movies, books, music, Tolkien, hobbies, m00ts… many interesting and enjoyable topics.

We also have a few forums which are a bit unique. Firstly, we have a Bike Racks forum, where participants in intense discussions can go to resolve their conflicts. Secondly, we have the Thinking of England forum, where more private conversations about intimate topics are conducted… this is a restricted-access forum. More details can be found here, and here. Finally, we have a new Member’s Lounge, where topics can be discussed between members only. This forum is not access-restricted to members, but it cannot be seen by lurkers. Conversations held here will not be available to information databases like Google.

And here's something else you need to know...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notice: Adult language is allowed on B77, but generally occurs no more frequently than in real life. We do require that members be at least thirteen years of age before joining. This board also contains an age restricted forum for discussion of topics inappropriate for children. The contents of this forum are not accessible to members who are under the age of eighteen, nor are they immediately accessible to the newest registrants.

All new Board registrations must provide their date of birth and a confirmation email from the member’s registration email address before membership [in this forum] is activated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But… can you help me figure out how to…?

Yes! Yes we can. There are threads that members have created, which are chock full of useful tidbits of information. The two most comprehensive threads that we have so far are b77 FAQ, and Acronyms, etc.

Here’s direct linking to relevant posts for a few questions:
But I have more questions!

Please don't hesitate to post questions here:Concerns, problems, questions etc. with this board or to PM a Ranger (here's the current list of Rangers) with questions.

If you have any questions whose answers you would like to see included in this Guide, or any feedback on the Guide whatsoever, please PM Anthriel... feedback is good. :)

ATTENTION CURRENT MEMBERS! I would very much like to have any feedback that you would like to share even BEFORE we open on Sunday :Q ; and certainly after. ;) Please PM me with any and all suggestions. I would LOVE your feedback... it can only serve to make this document more clear, and useful, to our n00bs-to-be! ~Anthy

Above all, just relax and have fun. Welcome, again, to board77!

:horse:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the text of the "old" first post:

Okay, I took a good look at the document that Farawen prepared, and two thoughts immediately crossed my mind: boy, have things changed since she wrote that, and wow, there sure is a lot of great info around here!

I am concerned that I may not be familiar enough with all the good sources of information on this board for me, personally, to give n00bs the best intro to b77. This is why I am so looking forward to your input.

In this first post, I have created an outline of information, based upon Farawen's previous thread, to form the basis of our new guide. I will, of course, plump it up with verbiage before we post it... I thought it would be easier to add ideas and edit in linked threads if it were in outline form at first.

I copied Farawen’s Comprehensive Guide and posted it in the second post in this thread, for reference and comparison purposes.

I will be unable to spend a great deal more time on this project before Wednesday, June 22nd. On that day, I hope to pull together suggestions that you all have made, type up a new guide from this outline and any revisions suggested, and post it for a vote.

After the 48-hour vote, and if the document is workable, I should be able to post it in the Info Forum/Welcome subforum on Saturday, June 25th, just in time for the grand door-opening on Sunday, June 26th. (Phew!)

First, though, I have a couple of questions:
  • Does it have to be called a “comprehensive” guide? Perhaps it’s my own insecurity speaking here, but I worry about being responsible for creating ANYTHING that bills itself as “comprehensive”. Could the title “An Overview of board77- Stop here first” or something like that work?
  • What will happen to the old Comprehensive Guide? I would think it would be confusing to have both up there… especially when Farawen’s is a little out of date.
  • Alandriel: Would you like me to just re-use the quote that Farawen has about the genesis of the b77 name, or would you like to create a new one?
  • I'd also like to write a quick line at the bottom about feedback; that is, if a reader has any ideas how to improve upon the overview guide, that person should PM me. What do you think?

Here’s my basic outline:
  1. Intro and welcome:
  2. Introduce yourself in the new welcome thread [link]
  3. We are an open board
  4. We are self-moderated, democratic board [link to charter document so far]

B77:
    1. History
    1. previously invite only board [link to Jn’s history of invites]
    2. constructed self-moderating, open board [link to History sub forum]
    3. timeline [link to Alandriel’s b77 timeline]
    4. history of b77 name [copy Farawen’s copied post or Alandriel type something new?]
    2. Organization
    1. No moderators
    2. Admins/Rangers on rotating schedule
      1. List of current admins/Rangers [link]
      2. For eligibility to serve as Ranger [link to charter]
      3. To add name to Ranger pool [link]
    3. Current Charter document [link]
    3. Structure
    1. Look at index for list of forums
    2. Notice special fora
      1. ToE… requires eligibility to enter [link to ToE info]
      2. Bike Racks… [link to Bike Racks info]
      3. Member’s Lounge [link to Member’s Lounge info]
    4. Useful tidbits
    1. [link to b77 FAQs] edit: Alandriel's thread
    2. How to post pictures [link to Leoba’s thread]
    3. Acronyms, etc. [link to laureanna’s thread]
    5. More Questions
    1. [link to concerns, problems, suggestions]
    2. PM a Ranger [link to current Ranger thread]

Last edited by Anthriel on Fri 24 Jun , 2005 9:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 4:06 am

This is a copy of Farawen's original "Comprehensive Guide to board77". It was broken down into three posts; those posts are cobbled together here into one.
Quote:
THIS POST: Some info on board77
NEXT POST: "How to..."
POST AFTER THAT: "I'm new here, so what do I do?"

board77: A Comprehensive Guide

Welcome, weary wanderer, to board77! We're glad you are here

I An Introduction to board77

board77 (often abbreviated b77) is a democracy. We have invested a good bit of time and effort to creating a Charter [link], so that each member here has an equal voice in the management of this board.
To peruse a history of how this charter was created, please go here [link to history forum]. Many threads and hours of effort were put into creating the government we now have in place.

Before you dive into the threads please read the important announcements at the top of each forum. That is especially important in the more 'business-like' fora on Board 77.

II board77's Members
All current voting threads now have their own Forum. Please make sure you familiarize yourself with the annoucements before putting up a new thread.

Multiple IDs are allowed for RP purposes only. The Multiple IDs 'registration' thread is in the RP forum here. Multiple IDs must be announced/claimed in that thread. The Admin then will put the approval through. There is of course no 'voting' procedure on IDs for RP characters.

For more information regarding the invite process please read the announcement and stickies at the top of the Invite forum. We endeavour to the best of our abilities to keep this updated.

III board77's Administration

Who are the Moderators?

There are no Moderators on board77 at the moment. We operate on a principle of self moderation. For member disputes please see the stickies and announcements in the OUTSIDE forum.

Who are the Administrators?

The board77 Administration operates under a Rotation Principle. Every member can be an admin for a period of time.

The Nominating Thread for new admins can be found in the Business Forum Board 77 Admin rotation

Check out Current Admins and special permission for users to find out who our current admins are.

If you need to get in touch with an Admin you can do so by personally PMing one of them or using the global Admin email address: b77_ad@yahoo.co.uk.

IV board77's Name

Alandriel explains:
Quote:
Remember the times of the mails? Remember the 'stress' we were under? Well, my poor ol' brain just kind of blanked when I had to come up with a name

... the pressure... the responsability.... it was all too much for this poor red head :wink:

I sat there in front of that screen, wide-eyed.... a name... a name.... a name.... and after about half an hour of this (and making a cup of tea in the middle) well, the number 77 just popped up.

No - it's not my birthyear, nor is it anyone's birthyear I can recall
No - I never thought we would get stuck with 77 members or something

...it just happened. As as so often happens, I took it and flew with it... and so here we are.

And now - because of my brain melt-down we're stuck with it :twisted:
or until you furnish us with a better place
:wink:
We're working towards eventually managing our own site since this free PHPBB board does have various limitations. For news on that process please check the Business room

V board77's Guidelines of Conduct

"Each member of Board 77 shall endeavour to present a courteous attitude to all they encounter both on and off the boards, to treat fellow posters as human beings, show respect for individual sensibilities, and to support fellow members in both posting and creative efforts."

We're in the process of discussing and setting up a more formalized structure. Please see the annoucements and threads in the Business room , particularly the thread: EMERGENCY. Thank you

VI board77's Running Gags

- "All Europeans are sex-obsessed." (Don't ask.)

- "{{{BUTTERFLY HUGGLES}}}" (Blame Din!)

- "Let's vote on that!" / "Let's have a poll on that!" / "NOOOOOOO, you can't do that yet, we haven't had a formal vote on the issue yet!" (everybody ) Please read the annoucement and stickies in Invites before diving in

VII board77's History

Back in the Days of the Petition, board77 came into being as a place to discuss said petition, the TORC Officials' reply to it, and its aftermath; back then board77 was a place to vent, rant, and support each other over TORC-related woes. So be advised, there will be some swearing in certain threads, and where emotions were running high and people were genuinely disappointed, reason may not always have prevailed.

Alandriel has put together a comprehensive Board77 Timeline. You can find it here

board77: How to...

...get your own user title (will appear under your username):

Go here and let the admins know which title you'd like to have.

...post pictures:

See Leoba's post here.

...voice concerns, problems, suggestions, etc. with board77:
Post them in Concerns, problems, suggestions with this board. For major user problems please get in touch with the Admin via email or private PM. This free phpbb board occasionaly (only rarely, thankfully) does go offline for a couple of hours. There is *nothing* we can do about it. We are striving towards opering our own place as soon as possible.

...volunteer as admin:

Go to this thread.

...invite another member:

Open an "Invite <insert poster's name>?" thread in the Invites Forum. Update: due to the flood of recent invites this process is being revised. Please check the Announcements and stickies at the top of the forum to stay current.

...put a pic in your sig:

Go to your Profile settings, and insert a picture into your signature using the [img] tag. Don't make it too big please. Signatures don't automatically show up in all of your posts. They only show up on the posts you've made after you've uploaded the pic.

For more information please access the board77 FAQ:

Go here.

"I'm new here, so what do I do?"

If you'd like, go ahead join in our “Welcome to b77 and Please introduce yourself” thread HERE [LINK]. Or feel free to open your own "Hi, I'm here!" in the forum, but check carefully… we knew that some of you were coming and your friends have been anxious for you to get here… they may have started a thread for you already!

Make yourself comfortable.
Say hi in one of the threads in the Welcome Forum, or start your own thread, so that we can welcome you in our midst.

Want your own user title under your name? Go here.

Check out The Official Board77 Birthday Thread and add your own birthday to the list, if you want to.

Also stop by the Posters' Home Addresses List thread, and if you feel comfy with it, add your address so that people can send you cards and stuff. Never underestimate board77ers' willingness to send folks postcards, parcels, etc.

Speaking of which - check out the Board77 Swapshop! Chocolates from Belgium or Switzerland? Gingerbread from Poland or Germany? Other "foreign" goodies? Ask and ye shall receive.

At the moment, the future of Board77 is being discussed in the Business room Jump right in if you want but not before reading the announcement at the top of the forum!

And above all, have fun

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 4:16 am

Isn't the Charter itself really the new "Comprehensive Guide to board77"? I'm not sure I understand what this task is about.

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 4:33 am
Triathlete

This thread can be viewed and read by all members, but not responded to.

Only members of the Convention, and nosy Admins can post here. So to help you out, I've changed the name of my acronym thread in Info/Welcome, and will solicit more input on your behalf. Take a look at some of the threads I've gathered on the second page, for starters.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 4:34 am

Voronwe, it would be embarrassing indeed if I didn't know what the heck I was supposed to be working on, here :Q , but I thought I was supposed to be updating this: http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... um=board77.

If not, I just spent a bunch of time doing nothing useful, and SOMEBODY had better delete this thread, pronto!

:oops:

Edit: laureanna, I did look at your thread tonight, and I thought it held some wonderful info... you are so good at collating information!

I actually did know that I was talking to committee members and admins here... it is your help that I seek at this time. After the new guide is posted, I had hoped to put in that "PM me with feedback" comment, which would be directed at the entire membership.

I had already thought to link your acronym thread under "tidbits", in my outline above... it has lots of useful info. Do you think I could just copy and paste the work you've done on the "one sticky" idea you proposed into this comprehensive guide? So that the guide would function as the "one sticky"?

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 5:04 am
Triathlete

Yes, take a look at my thread now. I was editing as you posted. Look on the first post. Also, be sure to incorporate all the good stuff Alandriel has in her thread.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 5:06 am

Anthy, I actually had only seen your second post, quoting Farawen's old thread, when I posted before. I hadn't seen you wonderful outline. That makes much more sense, and I wish you well of the task. Any other opinions I will keep to myself.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 5:08 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Voronwe_the_Faithful wrote:
Isn't the Charter itself really the new "Comprehensive Guide to board77"? I'm not sure I understand what this task is about.
I'd say it's a comprehensive guide to the rules of B77. I like having the thread that Farawen updated because I think people will be a lot more likely to read it than the charter. Plus you can add in stuff like how to post images, upload an avatar, or show the whole smiley list. The Guide to B77 should be more lighthearted, welcoming, and easier to read.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 5:28 am
Living in hope

I agree. The Charter is what we're about, definitely, but this can be more of a direct guide to how the board works and what it's like, such as all the useful items in laureanna's thread.

Also, it's probably going to be easier to absorb a description of the governance and rules that's informally written and takes a tone of "Here's how things work on B77," than to take in even the summary of the charter right after arriving.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 5:29 am

I stand corrected. Well, actually I sit corrected but whose counting?

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 11:34 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Anthy: great first outline! :D
Yes – this new text should replace Farawen's thread. I've asked her in the past wether she would be able to take care of it and her answer was pretty much to the effect 'no sorry, I'm too busy.' In the past I and other Admins have edited things but as you saw, it is really necessary to make a new thread. However, once the text is complete, it really needs to be posted under the Administrator ID and not in the care of an individual poster. Sorry, but with a lot of work that is being done there is no glory involved I'm afraid. In the future, if things need changing and updating it's so much easier when it's all done from the Administrator ID. I hope you'll understand. A thank you note at the end plus acknowledgement that it was you (and Farawen previously) who's put all the work in is of course fair and should be done :)

- Title: no objections to calling it 'An Overview of board77' rather than a comprehensive guide.

- what happens to the old one? I'd say it will be locked (with an edit giving the location/name of the new thread) and then either can float to the bottom of the forum or, moved to deleted threads storage (access only by the Admins). I'd rather go for letting float to the bottom of the welcome forum and become part of the history there.

- about the name genesis of b77: maybe something a bit shorter and more to the point would be better, e.g.
In the days of the petition (Oct 04) I decided to open a free board on phpbb as a communication platform as discussion via email amongst so many people proved very cumbersome. And so, on October 27th, 2004 I signed up… and then had to come up with a name. For about half an hour I sat there in front of my screen… a name… a name… I didn't want an obvious reference to Tolkien. Just something.. welll… simple, innocuous. I went to make a cup of tea and then the number 77 just popped into my head. It's neither my birth-year nor did I ever think we'd get stick with 77 members. It just happened, call it serendipity – like so many other things just happen here :D

- re feedback: this thread should stay as a locked sticky or announcement at the top of Welcome. I'm not very keen on the idea that people should be able to post in it. Maybe a mention that for questions regarding this board there is the thread Concerns, problems, questions etc. with this board (located in Business Forum) or that a member can also PM an Admin. Having too many threads open for member questions only makes it more difficult for the Admin to keep track of things and respond promptly

More specifically to your basic outline Anthy:

- Intro/Welcome: wrap up together point 2+3 e.g.
We are a public, self-moderated democratic board (and then link to the main Charter page at geocities) b77 Charter index (though we might change the name 'Charter')

- B77 History: try and do things in chronological order (d,c,a,b from your sequence)

- Structure: rather than linking to 'Bikeracks' make that a link to the OUTSIDE FORUM

- useful tidbitts: the 'how to post pictures' thread is really redundant as that info is also contained in the FAQ (I also need to check if I have a cross ref link to laureanna's acronyms thread and if not I'll update that). BTW I always envisaged that the FAQ would be also re-done by the Administrator ID and the thread maintained by the Admins who could receive PMs if a member notices something of value to be added.

Hope that helps :)

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 12:34 pm

The Vster wrote:
Any other opinions I will keep to myself.
VMan, your opinions are VERY welcome and very much needed! If you would like to PM me with ideas, I would welcome that as well. (And I am so glad that this IS what I'm supposed to be working on... I was momentarily :Q last night... :))

laureanna wrote:
Also, be sure to incorporate all the good stuff Alandriel has in her thread.
laureanna, did you mean the b77 FAQ? I have it as 4a in my outline. (I've edited my outline to refer to that thread as hers...) Should I actually cut and paste Alandriel's info into the guide, or is linking it, as I've proposed here, good enough?

It looks like from what Alandriel just posted that she means to make b77 FAQ pretty comprehensive, so that I just need to link that thread and no others. Although lots of redundant linking probably isn't a complete waste...

If Alandriel- or anyone else!- has any other threads to link, I would love to link them.

Ranger Babe wrote:
I agree. The Charter is what we're about, definitely, but this can be more of a direct guide to how the board works and what it's like, such as all the useful items in laureanna's thread.

Also, it's probably going to be easier to absorb a description of the governance and rules that's informally written and takes a tone of "Here's how things work on B77," than to take in even the summary of the charter right after arriving.
This is my understanding, as well. I will link to the Charter repeatedly throughout this guide; it really is something n00bs should learn to look to if they have questions. It is, perhaps, a bit... err... comprehensive for a first stop at the board! ;)

And I meant to mention... Farawen had a very low-key and friendly "voice" in her version of this and I will try to repeat that in the new one. I think that is important!

Quote:
However, once the text is complete, it really needs to be posted under the Administrator ID and not in the care of an individual poster. Sorry, but with a lot of work that is being done there is no glory involved I'm afraid.
I agree that the Admin ID (and I meant to suggest this, darnit) is a much smarter choice to post this under. Believe me, I'm not in this for any glory... my general choice is to be under a rock, actually. :)

I did want a chance to try to fine-tune this thing, though. Especially when it is first released, as omissions and mistakes are sure to be MY fault, and the responsibility to adjust the thing should be mine and not some poor hapless over-worked Ranger's.

Would it be okay, then, to still have the wording at the bottom about PM'ing me with suggestions (just for the first couple of months or so, as I would imagine the mistakes will be obvious fairly quickly), and then I can just edit the whole thing and email it directly to an admin so they don't have to do anything but plug it in?

Alandriel, btw, THANK YOU for the detailed response. This is the type of feedback that I very much desire! :)

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 1:06 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

The Outline looks good Anthriel!

I think "A Guide to B77" works better than "Overview" if you don't want the word "comprehensive in there because most MBs do have guides in their welcome forums, don't they? People are used to seeing that (I think)

Short and sweet is best, imo - friendly but not too chatty because people want to be able to get quick info by skimming from a Guide.

I don't think we can link to an info thread inside the ToE and the Members Lounge if the link can be accessed by people who are not eligible for those forums, can we? Or does the link just not work for them?

Jn

Edit: oh, and we don't have to vote on your final text here, Anth.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 1:50 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Jny is right - you cannot link to a thread INSIDE TOE from the Guide thread. It would not work to those that don't have permission. How is it we put that sticky up on geocities too? Then you can link to it without any problems :)

Anthy: I have full confidence that this guide thread will be complete by the time we open. Of course, if you really preferr then put it up with your name and later, when you give the final go, the Admins can re-do it with the Administrator ID. Up to you I'd say :)

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 1:56 pm

Jn, I had thought to link them to: http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... um=board77 for the Bike Racks link, just so they can get an idea of what Bike Racks is for. It seems like a pretty unique- and wonderful!- idea to me, and I wanted them to know right off that it was there.

The "intro" to ToE is a hard one to link, isn't it? The forum doesn't even show up on my index. Shall I just link them to the Charter, then, and direct them where to find out basic info about that forum?
Quote:
Edit: oh, and we don't have to vote on your final text here, Anth.
I am so glad there doesn't need to be a vote on this... time is growing short, indeed! :Q

BTW: Is there a "universal" PM or email address for Rangers, that is checked on a regular basis? I remember some discussion on this, but I can't remember the final result. :oops:

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 1:58 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

There is no universal PM - just a 'universal' email addy. PM-ing the Administrator ID actually is not a good idea, but rather PM an individual Ranger. The email addy is the one you quoted from Farawen's thread ;)

As I said, re intro to TOE - we could always put it up on geocities and then it's easily accessible as a stand-alone page (not directly connected to the Charter)

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 2:20 pm

Quote:
As I said, re intro to TOE - we could always put it up on geocities and then it's easily accessible as a stand-alone page (not directly connected to the Charter)
Sorry, Alandriel, I wasn't ignoring you... I'm posting from work (which is highly illegal, btw :Q ) and I missed your post!

Linking to a stand-alone page in geocities is a GREAT idea.

Quote:
Anthy: I have full confidence that this guide thread will be complete by the time we open.
I will do my best :)... and with the help of you fine folks, there shouldn't be TOO many huge holes.

In my experience, however, there's nothing like the trial by fire of having people who really are new to the board try to navigate from something someone who is familiar with the board created. There are sure to be things I just didn't think of... things that would be helpful to have in the guide.

Quote:
if you really preferr then put it up with your name and later, when you give the final go, the Admins can re-do it with the Administrator ID. Up to you I'd say
This is an awesome idea. Maybe a few weeks of fine-tuning, and then I'll turn it over to the Admins. That plan will keep me from worrying it to death forever more, as well... always a good plan.

:)

And thanks for the info on contacting Rangers, Alandriel. I'll include it!

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 8:23 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Anthy: the link to where the sticky text for ToE should be on geocities is: http://uk.geocities.com/b77_ad/Extra/ToE.htm
There is nothing much there yet but when ready I'll add that info in (unless there is resistance to the idea). The url will not change. Also make sure that when you mention the ToE you also include a link to Art 6 Age restricted forum where are the rules are as of Charter (ratified 30May)

The index page on geocities for all the Charter articles is at
http://uk.geocities.com/b77_ad/CharterIndex.htm
:)

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 9:13 pm

<looks at all the great links>

<purrs with contentment>

[ img ]

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 11:38 am
WYSIWYG

I like "Guide" as a title, it's simple and clear. :)

"Comprehensive Guide" is fine, too, but I don't like "overview".

Good outline, Anthy! :)

May I just suggest a few things that I think need to be changed from our current guide?

I think it goes into details too soon: sending the new member to the charter and the history forum in the first paragraph isn't good, I think.

There should be a good introduction to this board in a clear and simple paragraph, instead of saying: Hi - read this (*flings 10 pages in newbie's face*) and this (*flings another 500 pages in newbie's face*) - you know what I mean?

Quote:
- "All Europeans are sex-obsessed." (Don't ask.)
This should go, I don't think it makes a lot of sense, is that much a theme of the board.

So much for now - got to cook lunch. :)

Last edited by truehobbit on Wed 22 Jun , 2005 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 6  [ 106 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: