board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Front Page statement

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]
*Alandriel*
Post subject: Front Page statement
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 12:11 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

On this free phpbb board we cannot really have a Front Page Statement per se where we can give a general message about b77. This is only possible on www.board77.com.

According to Art.6 paragraph 1 of our Charter however....
Quote:
A statement on the front page of the Message Board and on the registration form will state:

“Notice: Adult language is allowed on B77, but generally occurs no more frequently than in real life. We do require that members be at least thirteen years of age before joining. This board also contains an age restricted forum for discussion of topics inappropriate for children. The contents of this forum are not accessible to members who are under the age of eighteen, nor are they immediately accessible to the newest registrants.
All new Board registrations must provide their date of birth and a confirmation email from the member’s registration email address before membership [in this forum] is activated.”
So that HAS to go onto the Front Page Statement.

We should also include our Mission statement (or at the very least a link to that) as well as the main headers of Our Key Principles with a link to that page.
Both ratification end 26Jun midnight GMT and so that means we cannot put it up really before that time. The Front Page statement (ideally) should go up however before we open, if that can be achieved. In any case, the disclaimer MUST go up before we open.

The way I envisage this approximately would be for now or just as soon as we and Lidless are agreed and ready: (incorporating what's already uploaded but without giving a specific date for that might 'hang' us ;) )

Opening later this month.
Please click here to be redirected to the Messageboard.
You can read and post once the board is open.

Disclaimer - insert disclaimer text as of ratified Art 6 with link to the geocities page. (Reasoning: giving the link also gives potential new members a chance to have a look at the Constitution).

On or around the 26Jun midnight GMT change to:

Board 77 is now open to the public. You can register HERE (link)
According to our Charter (Link to Index page.... insertMission statement text

Board 77 operates under the following Principles (insert link to Key Principles page )

1. Free Exchange of Ideas
2. Diversity
3. Fellowship
4. Transparency
5.Self-Governance

We hope you enjoy your stay at board 77.

Suggestions highly welcome :)

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 1:24 pm
of Vinyamar

I'd just like to point out that if we get the backup from PHPBBer, there's nothing to stop us from opening the site on the new Domain. Kill two birds with one stone?

There's pro's and cons to this approach.

Pros:
One Major upheaval, then plain sailing!
Less posters means less posts will be lost in the transfer.
We get to work through any problems with our friendly existing members instead of hostile new ones.
We can have a front page.

Cons:
Two major events happening at the same time will require a lot of work.
Any problems that carry through to the opening will likely be jumped on by new members with a grudge

Bear in mind, whenever we do this we WILL LOSE POSTS!!! Any posts made between the time the backup is created and the time the backup is restored on the new site will not be transferred. A note to this effect will have to be posted on the PHPBBer site while the Board77.com site is being created.

Just a thought. Let me know what you all think.

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 1:35 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Alatar... it's not as easy as that ;)

First - we have to get the backup.... and that's proving to be somewhat very tedius. Despite some 4 emails now... I still have no response what-so-ever, only a post in the tech help thread saying give us a couple of days :roll:

Also, when we move.. (having a backup to work from) yes it will be upheaval as you rightly say. Why not make it a pleasant upheaval and move to a board that's customized the way we want it :halo:

Once we have the backup - then tech wizards like you should get to work, making the new place really comfy. We get anther backup :roll: yeah I know but still ;) and move into an already comfy place.

Or maybe I have it all upside down... but then I'm not a techie :help:

In any case.. there is no way we'll open this board AND move on the same day ;) so we still have a front-page-statement to put up.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 1:45 pm
of Vinyamar

Actually Alandriel, I'm not suggesting we open and move on the same day. I'm suggesting that as soon as we get the backup from the guys at PHPBBer we move the site to the new domain. Then we proceed to "get it comfy" and open the site as planned on Sunday.

That's all presuming we can get the site backup in the next day or two.

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 1:54 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Sadly... I seriously doubt that that will happen within the next day or so :( nor by Sunday. Wish there was some way we could pressure them.... just a little

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 2:04 pm

Much as I think the idea is admirable, Al, I agree with Viv that it isn't feasible. There is more then enough on our plate just to get open in the next 6 days.

But you can make getting moved to the new site a hallmark of your term as a Ranger. :P

As an aside, I am assuming that all of the GeoCities stuff will move onto the board77.com site once it is open, yes?

Viv, I agree. My one comment is that I strongly urge that the mission statement text be included on the Front Page (actually I think we have already agreed to this). My suggestion/request is that you coordinate with Lidless to see that the changes get made.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 2:14 pm
WYSIWYG

I think there's enough to hurry up with right now, so let's leave moving for later! :)

But I like the suggestions for the front-page statement and re-directing here. :)

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 2:30 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

I've alerted Lidless via PM :) and yes to Voronwe's aside: once board 77 dot com is functional, we will of course move things over from the geocities site, thought since geocities works well (apart from me having yet to fix funny links and proofing) that won't be a priority once we move. The customization and any hiccups will be ;) ... and another HUGE party :D

.. and yes, the FULL mission text as I've suggested above. Only with the Key Principles I'm suggesting a 'short-cut' by only listing the headers. :)

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 3:54 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Lidless is in the swing and has already updated the Front Page on
http://www.board77.com/400.shtml

:cool: :D :cheers

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 4:38 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

with the Key Principles I'm suggesting a 'short-cut' by only listing the headers

ABSOLUTELY!!

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 4:40 pm

w :D :D t w :D :D t!!!!11

So is he going to add the Mission Statement and the list of Key Principals?

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 4:41 pm
Living in hope

As long as we don't make him call it a Mission Statement. . . . ;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 4:49 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

They will be added once they're ratified. :)

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 6:37 pm

Personally, I don't see any reason to wait, since there is no question that they will be ratified. But no biggie.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 25 Jun , 2005 11:54 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Just for the record, I sent TLE a 'reminder' PM re the necessary changes to be made to the board77 dot com front page, approx. 27June 00.30 or so.
Quote:
On or around the 26Jun midnight GMT change to:

Board 77 is now open to the public. You can register HERE (link to b77)

According to our Charter (Link to Index page http://uk.geocities.com/b77_ad/CharterIndex.htm) Board77 is a democratically governed internet community where members gather from around the world [or /members from around the world gather / depending which wording is chosen ] to cultivate friendships and engage in discussion. Our conversations cover any topic of interest to our members, from current events and philosophy to fine arts and the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. We aspire to maintain a culture of respect, equality and openness.

Board 77 operates under the following Principles (insert link to Key Principles page http://uk.geocities.com/b77_ad/Art_full ... ciples.htm )

1. Free Exchange of Ideas
2. Diversity
3. Fellowship
4. Transparency
5.Self-Governance

We hope you enjoy your stay at board 77.
The disclaimer of course will remain.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest”
Jump to: