The Last Homely Site on the Web

Article 7: Binding Votes: VOTE OVER: Discuss continued

Post Reply   Page 6 of 6  [ 106 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Jul , 2005 10:52 pm
WYSIWYG

But the new points now up for the vote first went up on July 12. (Well, I didn't look back to before the vote, maybe there was something there, too.)

I know I'm not here as regularly as I should, too, of course. :oops:
But I find some of the recent stuff really difficult, because it's so technical and detailed round a lot of other stuff, and that makes it harder for me to bring myself to come here and try to read it.

Thanks for the explanation - I don't understand it 100% I'm afraid, but I trust you guys on that one, then. :)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Jul , 2005 11:09 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Hobby, I'm sorry it is so complicated at the end. :(

Naturally it's going to be more technical when we're making these minor adjustments for consistency and intention.

Faramond and Voronwe raised their questions on July 7, while we were voting, and I collected them into one post in this thread on July 11.

The only reason I put the second ballot in a thread of its own was to avoid confusion, since we have already voted once inside this thread.

The issue that Faramond has raised is pretty straightforward, I think. He might not have been thinking about it quite this way - I think he was more concerned about not getting threads deleted too easily - but as soon as I read his objection I realized that there was more wrong with it than that.

Taking #4 and #5 out of the Binding Vote article does not change the rights under Articles 8 and 9 at all. What is does is prevent us from using Article 7 to amend the charter, something that should only be done under the terms of Article 12.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Jul , 2005 11:23 pm
WYSIWYG

Thanks for explaining again! :)

Yes, I think it would be easier if I could remember all the stuff we've decided before. :oops:

Btw, has someone already congratulated you on 3000 posts?
(I probably missed it somewhere.)

:cheers Awesome! :D

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
IdylleSeethes
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Jul , 2005 11:51 pm

Hobby,
Quote:
I don't understand how having the same point in two articles can end up being contradictory.
Things like that aren't necessarily contradictory at present, but are at high risk of future contradiction. Those of us who worry about structure in RL have the responsibility for hunting things like that down and eliminating them. The general term for eliminating the redundancy is "factoring". There are many related issues like "normalization", especially the 3rd normal form. It's a very well known and extensively studied problem. A non-technical way to describe the redundancy is "inelegant".

Idylle in exile: the view over the laptop on a bad day
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Jul , 2005 11:58 pm
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

Hobby, you may want to stop by here for a minute.

But make sure you eat a cookie first. ;)

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 16 Jul , 2005 12:30 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

Thanks for putting up the link, Anth :D

The universe has not imploded yet so there's still time ...

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 6 of 6  [ 106 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to: