The Last Homely Site on the Web

Ranger Communication Thread

Locked   Page 4 of 30  [ 592 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 630 »
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 5:36 pm
Waiting for winter

Well, I had intended to start practicing on the experimental board tomorrow, but that was when I was scheduled to start in August. I plan on getting over there tonight, so I’ll be starting early ;).

This was all very unexpected for me, and not the most ideal circumstances to start off with, but I will try to do my best to get caught up. I appreciate your patience.

As far as holby is concerned - I do recall him stating in the old ranger thread in the Business forum that he intended to fulfill his position starting in July. I think until we hear otherwise we should assume he still will. Otherwise, I think we should simply follow procedure. Looking through Article 5 there seem to be three things pertaining to this:

Grounds for Warnings to a Ranger:
• 1) Being absent from the board for more than 72 hours without notifying the other Rangers, except in personal emergency or computer failure.

Grounds for Formal Complaints against a Ranger:
• 2) Being absent from the board for more than two weeks and failing to notify the other Rangers in advance to arrange for a temporary Ranger.

Grounds for Removal of a Ranger:
• 1) Desertion: a Ranger who deserts the board and cannot be contacted for a period of 30 days should be removed from office.

I’m not sure how the procedure works for Warnings or Formal Complaints, but it seems as though we should wait 30 days before anyone can be removed for desertion.

Hopefully holby will respond to Eru's email.

ETA - If Areanor wants to start now, if she already has the training needed, if the other rangers feel she should go before me - I will have no problem standing aside for any of these reasons. Just let me know. In the meantime I’ll proceed as planned.

laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 7:58 pm
Triathlete

truehobbit wrote:
*calls for loremaster* ;)
Can we assume that calling for a loremaster in the Mayor/Ranger thread will alert the Mayor to find one for us, or is there some other procedure?

Well, I'm back.

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 8:02 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Quote:
Grounds for Removal of a Ranger:
• 1) Desertion: a Ranger who deserts the board and cannot be contacted for a period of 30 days should be removed from office.
What it they don't show up at the beginning? Would we really have to wait 30 days for a person who's never initally showed up?

Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 8:03 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Hobby: But it's definitely areanor's turn in August.

We need both tinwe and Areanor, Hobby. I knew that Areanor had said she could start in July if necessary, but Holby said the same thing and Areanor's claim was the more compelling under the circumstances.

It was a choice between Areanor and Holby, not Areanor and tinwe. I thought that someone contacted Areanor when Voronwe resigned - I thought I read that somewhere, but if it didn't happen she should be contacted right now and tinwe should remain a Ranger. We need them both.

MariaHobbit is not available until the end of summer. So T.E.D. will start in August along with whomever the second Ranger turns out to be now ... we're still trying to get Areanor and Holby to pick up a July or August term.

As for Holby right now, I can't be your Loremaster in this situation because I'm the acting mayor, but I can tell you that the Charter doesn't deal with a Ranger who doesn't appear at the beginning of a term, and I'd say that this is a trickier issue to decide because with the confusion about who would start in July, and both Holby and Areanor saying that they could, it's not clear at all that he knows he's supposed to be here.

But I would definitely take down his Ranger panel as a matter of practicalityand wait until we hear from him to see when he thought his term was. Let Areanor start in his stead if she wants to.

But the point is: how can we verify at all whether someone has done any training?

That's a current Ranger job. After practicing on the experimental board, these guys are supposed to be allowed to practice on the real board with a current ranger - there's a list of people ready to do that in the Ranger pool thread above, but there's no one in it because this whole forum went up just days before we needed to do the scheduling with all the new people.

It's chaotic right now, but once we get July and August squared away between Areanor and Holby (tinwe and T.E.D. are the other two people starting in those two months), I'll send an email to the Ranger Pool folks and give them a summary of their practice opportunities.

Jn

edit to add: I would give Eru a two-week extension on her temp turn if she's able to do it. We're allowed up to seven rangers + temps + 2 trainees, folks, and this particular time is not a time to be conservative. Add whatever temps you need to help with training.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 8:25 pm

Just speaking up to say that obviously it would be inappropriate for me to act as loremaster in this case. And also to say again that I am sorry to have caused so much confusion. :neutral:

Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 10:39 pm

Here's Holby's post from June 15:

I took that to mean I was going to start in July but not be as present as I am now.

I will utter my suggestion again to up the admins to 7.
Between opening and the summer months, I think having seven would make it easier on everyone and wouldn't make people feel pressured to be here on a consistent basis. It is summer after all and I at least spend more time outside doing things other than getting involved in cyber debates.

In any case I plan to start July 1st unless you have someone else who can commit to being here "all of the time".

And sorry for the delay in responding. I had my panties in a twist and had to extract them from my ass.

I rather suspect that Holby considers us 'notified' that he will not be around much if he starts on July 1, and he might not have known exactly when his absences would occur. He resigned from the charter committee during the last rotation as well because of work, and I hesitate to attribute AWOL to Holby because when he was on the committee he did let us know when he would be gone and made use of the absentee ballot.

So ... (let me put on the Mayor's hat and not the Loremaster's hat so there won't be any confusion) ... what I would suggest is to not Ranger him until he actually gets here. Ranger whomever shows up first - Holby or Areanor, and the other one can postpone until August and start together with TED.

So right now we have:
truehobbit and laureanna until the end of July
tinwe, Alatar, and either Areanor or Holby, whomever comes first running from July 1 to Sept 30.
TED and either Areanor or Holby, whomever comes latest, taking over from Hobby and laurie on Aug 1.

I've got to jump out of this thread and look at the pool again. Prim said we were losing three people at the end of July. Hang on a sec ...

No, there's only two leaving on July 31.

OK - so basically the problem is that we signed up Alatar and Holby for July 1 because ... because we panicked, even though we knew both of them were not going to be around. Alatar left for vacation today, but we knew that in advance.

So, the Charter allows us to appoint temps exactly for this reason. If you need another temp in addition to Eru, then go ahead and appoint one to cover Alatar's vacation. And I would suggest again that Eru's temp term be extended if she's able to do it so that someone can devote attention to tinwe and TED and even let TED practice on the regular board as soon as he wants to do that.

One small favor - could I ask the Rangers not to edit the Mayor's record-keeping thread without telling me. Thanks.

Jn

truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 11:06 pm
WYSIWYG

tinwe, I didn't mean you shouldn't take the term! Sorry if it sounded that way! :oops:
There's no need for you to start practising early when you count on taking the term in August! And it's great that you are going to catch up and do some quick learning before starting! :hug:

I was just taken by surprise by all that.

Sorry, I haven't read this carefully - just peeking in before bedtime, and I need to get to bed :rage: ;) - anyway, my call for the loremaster was tongue-in-cheek, because I thought we didn't even have one yet! :Q
But thanks for all the info!

When I adminned Holby, I sent him a welcome to Rangerhood-PM, so if he'd been on the board at all, he'd have noticed that he's meant to don his Ranger-cloak.

Sorry, too tired to think more - let's wait a day to hear from areanor and holby.

All in all though I think we are well staffed - if tinwe manages to get prepared by the time nin leaves, numbers should be no problem at all!

In terms of getting the job done, there's no problem if Holby doesn't show up, and unless areanor has changed her mind completely, starting in August would be fine, I think.

(Edit: ooops, didn't know Alatar was on vacation already - for how long?)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 11:15 pm

Sorry, Alatar's leaving tomorrow, not today (though it's almost tomorrow in Ireland) and he'll be gone for two weeks.

Jn

laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Jul , 2005 2:18 am
Triathlete

Jny-

Sorry about not specifically telling you about the ranger changes in your thread. I was just trying to be tidy all over the board. Rangers are listed in all the following locations, and none of them matched, before I did my cleanup yesterday. My list was simply taken from the user list - anyone in orange was a Ranger. Now it looks like they all need to be revised to take off Holby, then revised again when either Holby or Areanor report for duty. And then revised again to take off Nin, who is still with us, if only in spirit, until the 9th. How do you want your two threads handled? Do you want to do several editings over then next few days, whenever you notice that rangers have been changed in other threads, or do you want a ranger to do it at the same time all other threads and passwords are being edited for a ranger rotation?

The Ranger Pool (your thread)
Jury Pool and Mediator Pool (Another one of your threads. They should be mentioned here, as not currently eligible.)
Who are the Rangers? The welcome thread
And the Administrator sig box.

Well, I'm back.

Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Jul , 2005 2:55 am

laureanna,

Everything is OK - it's not a problem with me but I saw that the furniture had moved around without a note. :) It's just helpful to me to see by whom and when the updates were made

Rangers are listed in all the following locations, and none of them matched, before I did my cleanup yesterday.

The Ranger Pool (your thread)
Jury Pool and Mediator Pool (Another one of your threads. They should be mentioned here, as not currently eligible.)
Who are the Rangers? The welcome thread
And the Administrator sig box.

I am responsible for keeping the Ranger Pool thread in this forum up to date. I'm just not sure quite what to do with Holby/Areanor at this moment. Leave both of them out, I guess, until one of them shows up.

In the Jury Room and Bike Racks, the first post was done using the Administrator i.d. and current rangers are listed in the sig box, which changes them automatically everwhere; and the Welcome thread list is also posted using the Admin i.d. so a Ranger will have to make that change.

I had made a conscious decision not to re-list the Rangers in the Jury Pool post and Mediator Pool post, because they're already in the Admin sig box. But now that you mention it, it is probably a good idea to put "(Ranger)" after the name of Jury members. I was thinking it was unnecessary because the current Rangers convene juries and they would, of course, know not to pick themselves, but the member called to a hearing might not have all those details in front of their mind, and since they can reject jurors it's a good idea for them to be able to see the eligible list readily. So I will add that information.

Regarding the Mediators, I have to look up whether a person can be a Ranger and a Mediator at the same time. I think we might be voting on that right now ... no wait, that's the Mayor. Honestly, I'll have to look it up in the charter, and if Rangers are excluded I will add that notation to the Mediator pool as well.

Jn

edit - sorry, I had part of your post at the bottom here momentarily while I was copying it to quote above ... OK, meanwhile, the charter is silence about Rangers as Mediators, but there's no harm done giving the info and I will add it.

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Jul , 2005 3:21 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I've just been informed that Holby had let a member here know that he was taking time off for RL.

Don't know how much time that's going to be.

Should I PM Areanor again and let her know if she wants, she can start immediately?

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Mayor
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Jul , 2005 3:28 am

Eru - yes, please let Areanor start immediately if she wants to.

To all Rangers -- laureanna's edit proved more of a problem than I realized at first ... none of the information in ANY of the pools should ever be deleted. I move the entire information set about a Ranger from one list to another as their status changes. If their name is deleted, I no longer know their time zone or language. It happens that I know this info about Voronwe and Prim by heart, but if it had been someone I don't know well, Areanor, for example, I would have to collect the data again and it was a bit of a job to collect it the first time.

Every Mayor is going to have a different way of maintaining this information, and it is the Mayor's responsibility to do so. Therefore I think it is probably good policy for the Rangers not to try to update information in the Mayor's threads.

If you see something out of date, just post a note here and kick the Mayor's ankles until it gets done. :)

Jn

edit: just one other quick thing, looking at the information that laureanna had added to the Ranger Pool post ... the threads in this forum are not announcement threads. They're purely for the Mayor's record-keeping purposes. It might be that our elected Mayor wants to embellish the forum a bit and make it homey for members to visit - right now I'm trying to do the minimum of interior decorating because I'm only the steward :) ... but it's not necessary to list current temp admins under current admins because temping does not affect regular terms of office. It's necessary to have a place for recording the temp admin terms; I know Alandriel felt it was important that people receive the credit for that, and so do I, so Eru appears on that list, but this should not be the place that members look first just to find out who has Ranger powers. That should be the Welcome Forum.

So I deleted the announcement-style info, but also wanted to give an explanation of why.

Last edited by Mayor on Wed 06 Jul , 2005 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

WELCOME TO OUR NEWEST MEMBERS! mayor_b77@yahoo.com

Mayor
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Jul , 2005 3:40 am

OK - I added current Ranger info to the Jury Pool and Mediator Pool (that was a good idea, laureanna). But I noticed while doing it that the sig box is gone from the Administrator i.d.

Is someone going to restore that? I thought it was a brilliant idea to have the list of current rangers and the Admin email in that sig box because you can then update it in all the Announcements simulataneously.

In fact, while I'm wearing this suit, I'm going to add the Mayor's email addy to the sig box in this profile (I tried to make it show automatically once before and that didn't work). Probably the current inhabitant of the office should also be named because people might not know that until they've been here awhile.

Or do you think it would be appropriate to have the name of the current Mayor as the rank for this i.d.? I like for people to know who they're talking to ... and it won't be me for very much longer, thank goodness. :)

Jn

WELCOME TO OUR NEWEST MEMBERS! mayor_b77@yahoo.com

laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Jul , 2005 3:58 am
Triathlete

Jny, I had to be reminded of this, too: The option to include the sig box is one of the check boxes under the text box, as you reply, or as you edit a post. Sometimes the sig is not included because it clutters things up too much - especially if there are several posts in a row by the same screen name.

Well, I'm back.

Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Jul , 2005 5:00 am

Is that why the current Ranger names were removed from the Admin i.d. sig box?

In the Jury Room and Bike Rack sticky threads, at least, there's only one post by the Admin, followed by a Mayor post.

It would be helpful, I think, to have currrent Ranger names appear in that particular place. Can you do have it show there but not in other places?

Jn

Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Jul , 2005 6:03 am
Living in hope

I think having the current Mayor's name in the rank spot is a great idea. People look there to see who the poster is. Having a real poster's name under "Mayor" personalizes the role.

I briefly had the urge to go do it, until I realized that I've turned in my cloak (and am now allowed to wash my hair).

[ img ]

Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Jul , 2005 8:02 am

We could, you know, declare every day to be Coronation Day and then the Rangers wouldn't have to stop washing their hair. :)

I'll get the name added ... oh, tomorrow prob'ly. :tired:

Jn

truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Jul , 2005 3:43 pm
WYSIWYG

Quote:
That's a current Ranger job. After practicing on the experimental board, these guys are supposed to be allowed to practice on the real board with a current ranger - there's a list of people ready to do that in the Ranger pool thread above, but there's no one in it because this whole forum went up just days before we needed to do the scheduling with all the new people.
Well, it's just not so easy to keep an eye on these things.
I've been thinking about how it could work, though.
Rangers can check on the experiment board, and if someone does practise but does not leave traces, Rangers could just tell them to do it once again and leave traces in place.
If someone just posted "I've done that" without leaving actual traces, there's no way to know if they really did the exercise, so the Ranger would also have to ask them to do it again and leave traces this time.

Then there's the question of how someone can "practise on the real board with a current Ranger"? It's not like you can look over someone's shoulder while they are doing things.
Though I guess it means the trainee would have to be in IM contact with the Ranger while practising - is that the idea?

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Jul , 2005 9:24 pm

Yes, that's the idea. Some current Ranger has to give them a panel while they're practicing and then turn it off when they're done. Be available to answer questions during that time, too, I guess.

So the trainee will have to get in touch with one of you and coordinate times. But I figured if there were a list of the people who were wanting to do that, you would see it and could contact them as well.

Thing is, right now we're handing people the admin panel to be real Rangers without preparation because we need people fast and no one had trained. I guess all of us in the pool should get on the stick and start training. :) That would be the prudent thing to do.

If I'm smart, I'll send everyone in the Ranger pool a link to the Handbook. :doh1:

Jn

Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Jul , 2005 9:45 pm
Sharpe-sighted

*runs in*

Sorry to be late, but I had an attack of Real Work Life.

And I thought somebody (eyes Hobby) said I wouldn't be needed/asked before August, so I didn't hurry to come over here. But seeing that Holby postponed his Rangerhood, I'm willing to jump right in.

BTW, I've been to the experimental board and was very careful to leave no traces there :P.

So, I'm not a Ranger now, right? How do I start? Being a full Ranger right away or starting as a trainee?

:salmon: at Hobby for being so stoopfid to think I'd be disappointed of her. *get your ass on IM*

Edited to say:

Nin admined me and de-admined Holby.
So may I be so bold to remind the Mayor to change the Pool threads? :)

[ img ]

Display: Sort by: Direction:
Locked   Page 4 of 30  [ 592 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 630 »
Jump to: