Islanded in a Stream of Stars

So, we need to line up a new ranger ASAP. These are the people next in line:

Rodia : 01 Jan 05 : GMT+2 : Polish
Jnyusa : 15 Feb 05 : GMT-4 : English
Areanor : 09 Apr 05 : GMT +2 : German
vison : 09 Apr 05 : GMT-4 : English
tinwe_linto : 09 Apr 05 : GMT -5 : English

Ro, can't because she's on vacation.
Jn, you don't want to while there's constitution stuff going on.
I believe areanor said she would if really needed but would prefer not to? She should be contacted first I guess?
I believe vison said not right now,
so it looks like tinwe is next in line? ....after hearing back from areanor that is?

Also, holby's not checked in yet...

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Jul , 2005 6:49 pm
Waiting for winter

Although I haven’t posted in a few days (been extremely busy in RL), I have been keeping up with recent events. I’m certainly willing to do whatever is necessary, however I fear that I’m not prepared to take on Ranger duties. I had assumed that my term would start in August and that I would have July to train on the experimental board and get up to speed on the functions of Rangering, including reading the entire Ranger’s Handbook.

I haven’t done any of those things yet - haven’t read the handbook, haven’t even registered on the experimental board. To make matters worse I am not going to be able to spend much time on it for the next few days. I’ll start doing these things as soon as I can, but it will most likely be mid-week before I can really start in earnest.

If you desperately need someone to start immediately I will, but I will not be of much practical help until I’ve had some training.

BTW, where is the Ranger's Handbook anyway?

:)

Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Jul , 2005 7:29 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

I haven’t done any of those things yet

Never mind, tinwe, you're hired. :D

Here's the Handbook

Handbook for Rangers

Eru, if Areanor is able to start now I think we should empower both Areanor and Tinwe. If Holby isn't around and we don't know what's happened ... I wonder now if he knew that he was starting in July rather than August, because there was some confusion about who would go first.

Anyway, if we need one person to start in August as a result, I'll do it. On no, wait. I can't. Not and do the Mayor function at the same time. It's not allowed. OK, let's get Tinwe into his armor and wait to here from Areanor and I'll get August sorted out tomorrow sometime.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Jul , 2005 8:20 pm

Tinwe, if you have any questions about anything and a current Ranger is not around to help you, please don't hesitate to ask me. I'm sorry to put you into such an uncomfortable position, but if I did not have total faith in your abilities, I would never have made the decision that I made. :)

tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Jul , 2005 8:37 pm
Waiting for winter

Thanks V. I don’t think I actually have any abilities yet, but we shall see.

Like I said though, it will be few days before I can do anything, so it would be nice if you could stay on until then. It does seem, however, that things are a bit slower than anticipated, so I’m sure whatever you decide will be fine.

Thanks Jn, I’ll read it as soon as I have a chance.

Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Jul , 2005 9:41 pm

Thanks, Tinwe, for being willing to bail us out.

You guys are going to give Ranger Powah to Tinwe, right? And Hobby wrote to Areanor so we are waiting for her reply.

Next on the list are TED and MariaHobbit, so I'll PM them and see whether they are available for August, and possibly sooner if laureanna gets a job that prevents her from finishing her term.

After that we're clear until October, and I'll be free of the Mayor's office by then, and Rodia will have finished travelling, so we can possibly let the elected Mayor take office with the October task at least taken care of.

Jn

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Jul , 2005 9:42 pm

If you guys feel that it is becoming necessary to have me available to help until Tinwe can get on board, I can do that. I don't want to leave anyone in a lurch. But my sense is that you guys have it covered. I wasn't supposed to be here now anyway. If my step-father hadn't cancelled his party in New York (because of illness, unfortunately) none of this would have happened.

Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Jul , 2005 9:56 pm

Voronwe -

Eru can serve for four weeks in total if she wants to. I was thinking we'd need to get someone to replace laureanna immediately if her job forces her to quit early, but I don't think we should need to do even that.

If tinwe starts as soon as he is able, and particularly if Areanor responds positively, we should be on track. That doesn't mean though that your advice would not be welcome. Every person Rangering for the first time is going to want a hand to hold.

Jn

Eltirwen
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Jul , 2005 1:48 am
Bored Silly

If someone else isn't available for August, feel free to call on me. I haven't been on the experimental board much, but I played around with a phpbber board of my own a while back. It didn't last long, but I still remember the admin panel. If you need me, I'll get right on the experimental board.

Remember, I'm a young whippersnapper, and using computers is as natural as breathing. And I really want this board to work.

Elti, feeling rather depressed about the thread in Business

Searching for my sanity...

"A life lived in fear is a life half lived" - Strictly Ballroom

Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Jul , 2005 3:25 am

Elti,

Thank you so much!

We're trying to take people in order but we hit a large patch of people who are all unavailable at the same time. The list is in the order in which people posted in that volunteer thread, and I know that Imp and Rowenberry did want to be admins too, so I have to ask them first whether they are interested. But we seem to be going through Rangers at an unprecedented rate, :( It's good to know that you are willing to step in as needed.

Jn

Eltirwen
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Jul , 2005 4:28 am
Bored Silly

On the experimental board as we speak. Just let me know what you need.

I didn't know it was so stinking hard to make a delete-worthy post! I did find a really nice picture of Patrick Stewart in the process... :halo: I don't think it's deletable though - it's of him playing Oberon, so it's nice quality stuff. I'll just have to leave it there. Darn. :halo:

Searching for my sanity...

"A life lived in fear is a life half lived" - Strictly Ballroom

Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Jul , 2005 4:54 pm

I didn't know it was so stinking hard to make a delete-worthy post!

I'm finding that less and less difficult with each day that passes. :D

Jn

Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Jul , 2005 5:21 pm

T.E.D. has confirmed that he can start on August 1.

He's got the handbook and will practice on the exp. board between now and then.

Has anyone heard yet from Holby or Areanor?

Jn

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Jul , 2005 6:16 pm

tinwe, I can help you whenever you need. You'll find things to be very straightforward and if you need to activate a member it's all spelled out for you in the admin forum. I think most things are spelled out in the admin handbook.

I'll go check to see if anyone's given you permissions yet.

edit: noone had, so I rangerized you. :) Welcome aboard and thank you so much for helping out. :)

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 4:16 am
Waiting for winter

Just checking in here at last. Thanks Eru, I see I’ve been orangeinated. I hope to have some time tomorrow to devote learning about all of this, but for now I’d like to catch up a bit on what I’ve missed today.

truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 3:42 pm
WYSIWYG

I didn't write to areanor - what makes you think I did that? :scratch

But, actually, I think areanor was a bit disappointed with me a while ago when I said she agreed to serve in August, but forgot to mention that she had also said she was willing to serve in July, if need be - she repeated that she said that explicitly!

Nothing against tinwe, of course, especially as he's offered to help - I'm sure he'll do fine, it's not exactly rocket science.

But it's definitely areanor's turn in August.

And I've been thinking that I need to raise the question somewhere of how we can make sure that our Rangers-to-be visit the experiment forum!
Last time I checked, towards the end of the month, there was hardly any new action visible - no traces of threads split/moved/started etc - either people cleaned up behind them very thoroughly, or not much was done. There also weren't any commenting posts, feedback or so, so I assume it's the latter.
It surprised me that tinwe was hired when he hadn't even so much as looked at the experiment board. (As I said, I don't see a problem, it's not a lot to learn, I trust he'll spend a few hours there before getting started in earnest.)

But the point is: how can we verify at all whether someone has done any training? People might read and practise and delete what they did, leaving no trace - and others might just post they did things, without having done them.
It's in the charter for the next generation of admins that they need to have practised before entering the pool!
I see a problem coming up here.

Quote:
but there's nothing at all showing in their blocks on the member list.
Not quite sure what that means, Jny - I guess it's because some of the people who are activated never actually visited here. :scratch

Edit: I'm wondering if we should de-admin Holby for the time being?
People might contact him about Ranger stuff when they see he's on the list and never receive a reply.

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 4:36 pm

I would think that if holby doesn't show up pretty soon and if areanor wants to start, she should be allowed to. But of course we should follow any procedure...what would procedure be for a ranger who never shows up?

I can try emailing holby and see if he'll come around.

Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 4:45 pm
of Vinyamar

In my own case Hobby, I played around with the Experimental board when I first joined. I've also used this board software before so I didn't feel the need to do a refresher when I was rangerised. Having said that I shall now promptly delete half a thread by accident!

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 4:59 pm
WYSIWYG

Ack, I'm sorry, Alatar - I had meant to edit when the board started giving me error messages - I was going to add that I didn't mean you were somehow not qualified, I think you've made an excellent start as a Ranger! :blackeye :hug:
I know you registered ages ago, and that you're working with computers professionally, so I didn't think you'd have any problems anyway.

But seeing no activity on the experiment forum for so long just made me realise how little we can control whether someone is actually practising or not, and that we don't really have a way to assess whether a "ranger-in-training" is fit to be a ranger or not.

Eru, thanks! I think we should try to contact holby. And I have no idea about what the procedure is (or whether there is one).
*calls for loremaster* ;)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 5:13 pm

I've sent an email to holby. Any feedback from a Loremaster as to what should be done if holby doesn't respond within a day or two would be appreciated.

In the meantime, I suppose I can contact areanor as well, explain that there's been confusion about what she had wanted and ask her if she would be willing to be the next person in line to be a ranger.

edit: I've contacted areanor.

Display: Sort by: Direction:
Locked   Page 3 of 30  [ 592 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 530 »
Jump to: