The Last Homely Site on the Web

Members, Come Chat with the Mayor!

Locked   Page 6 of 6  [ 119 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Feb , 2006 2:52 pm

Eru wrote:
So I can't deal with being the Mayor right now. I have too many real life issues. I don't need to be on the computer very much right now and I cannot be relied upon to do the duties of the Mayor.

I'm very sorry.

TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Feb , 2006 3:56 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Okay well someone needs to take her place. Isn't that somewhere in the charter? :shrug:

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Feb , 2006 5:12 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

I read over Article 4 about the Office of the Mayor, and it doesn't look like there's a provision for a time when a mayor voluntarily gives up their position. It says a couple of things that might be helpful, but it looks like we're going to have to do without the Charter on this one.
Quote:
Ib) No provision is made for selecting an Assistant to the Mayor, however if a current Mayor decides that an Assistant Mayor is needed to fulfil the duties of this office, he/she may propose that the Charter be amended to provide for a selection process and the standing Committee for Charter Amendments will convene according to Article 7.
An Assistant to the Mayor could fulfill the duties until Eru's term is officially over, or until she feels she can come back...but it looks as though this involves amending the Charter and I'm not sure if anyone actually wants to deal with that. I think it would be easier if we could just elect a new Mayor altogether, or assign the Mayor's duties to the Rangers.
Quote:
The Mayor may have time periods when he/she cannot be on the board regularly, and may seek assistance from the Rangers by giving them advanced notice of the tasks that must be performed during that time period.
This is what we have been doing so far, I believe. It appears to be working, but if we don't get a new Mayor it might have to continue until the next election, which according to the Charter isn't until August. If the Rangers are okay with continuing to take up the duties of the Mayor, I think this is our best bet.

There's also a section at the bottom of the article that deals with removing a Mayor from office, but that's when the Mayor hasn't informed anyone on the Board that they'll be absent, and Eru certainly has informed the whole board, so that part seems pretty useless.

The only problem I see with following the rules by the Charter exactly is that the election procedure outlined in Article 4 seems to involve the current Mayor quite a bit. The current Mayor is supposed to post an announcement about the nomination period (which one of the Rangers could do quite easily it seems) but they are also supposed to head the election committee, which also involves two other posters chosen by the current Mayor.

If we wanted to hold a special election now, then I think we would have to find someone else to take over the duties of the current Mayor as far as the election committee goes. Otherwise the Rangers could continue doing the Mayor's tasks until the regular election, though that's several months away. When that time comes, Eru may or may not be willing and/or able to fulfill the duties of the current Mayor during the election, so that might just be simply putting the issue off.

So the only two options I can see now are having an election now, and waiting for the regularly scheduled election. I guess a third would to be to amend the Charter to provide for an Assistant to the Mayor, who could take over the duties of the Mayor until the end of the term, but that might be just as much of a hassle as the election.

After that overly-long analysis :P...in answer to your question, TM, I don't think there's anything in the Charter that deals with this directly. We'll have to come up with another solution that's not specifically mentioned in the Charter, it looks like.

Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Feb , 2006 5:15 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

She is just whining because she wants to be on the ranger list.
Like we need her as a ranger. Good lord help us all.

[ img ]

Mayor
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Feb , 2006 6:10 pm

You've been added here Mary and will be moved to the roster in 10 days(24th). I apologize for not doing it sooner.

Elfshadow, you're not 18 are you?

WELCOME TO OUR NEWEST MEMBERS! mayor_b77@yahoo.com

TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Feb , 2006 9:36 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Thanks Eru, I didn't see that you were taking time off :oops:

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Feb , 2006 10:36 pm

Quote:
Elfshadow, you're not 18 are you?
No, sorry, I'm still 16. :)

MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Feb , 2006 11:37 pm
Another bright red day

At the moment the Rangers have taken over. Eru said she only needed a break (is that still true?), so at the moment there's no need for another election. If she decides to step down (or has already and I misread somewhere) then we'll figure something out.

Eru, my apologies for not paying attention to people being needed to moved in the Ranger Pool, etc, and I hope all is well.

[ img ]

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Feb , 2006 11:44 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I can generally handle that...it was the scheduling of new Rangers I was finding too much.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject: Re: Members, Come Chat with the Mayor!
Posted: Tue 18 Nov , 2008 7:44 pm

The links in the "Jury, Mediator, and Loremaster" thread need to be updated to this thread instead of this thread at the old site.

Kind of hard to volunteer for Jury duty if I use that old thread on the old site.

Fortunately this exact same thread exists here.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

elfshadow
Posted: Tue 18 Nov , 2008 7:48 pm

Thanks for letting us know, CG. We'll get to that as soon as we can--unfortunately there are other things that need our attention at the moment as well. ;)

And damn, was I really 16 back then? Crap! :P

Elian
Posted: Tue 18 Nov , 2008 8:21 pm
Let the dice fly.

Fixed it.

Thanks for letting us know, CG. :)

What does it take
to stop getting carried away
by the force of my love...

Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 4:49 pm

Cool. I volunteer for jury pool.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Sat 24 Jan , 2009 10:15 pm

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Sat 24 Jan , 2009 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rebecca
Posted: Sat 24 Jan , 2009 10:17 pm

You can probably find it as easy as I can.

[ img ]

laureanna
Posted: Sun 25 Jan , 2009 4:49 am
Triathlete

OK, I'm probably going to regret this, but I'm volunteering for whatever you need (jury, ranger, mediator). I just read the charter again, and I'd like to do what I can to preserve the Key Principals, Rights, and Responsibilities. I don't post much here, but I don't want to see this community implode. I'm only on the Internet in the late evening, Pacific Time, Monday through Thursday, and sporatically if at all on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I have no access to message boards or personal email during work (Monday through Thursday) and have not figured out how to get wifi on my bike :P. So if this involves heavy back and forth dialog, I may not be able to keep up, and I may not be around when the dialog gets ugly. Still want me?

Is this the latest version of the charter? http://uk.geocities.com/b77_ad/CharterIndex.htm" target="_blank

Well, I'm back.

Holbytla
Posted: Sun 25 Jan , 2009 12:54 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

I think that is a copy of the charter, but we also have it listed here in the Bike Racks.
Here is the LINK
Thank you for volunteering. :)

[ img ]

Rebecca
Posted: Sun 25 Jan , 2009 1:55 pm

Any participation is better than nothing. :) And laureanna participation is even better, even if it's limited. :hug:

[ img ]

Rebecca
Posted: Fri 30 Jan , 2009 3:43 pm

I'm going to lock this thread and move it to the Historical Interest forum since we don't have a mayor any more. Based on the New Charter.
Quote:
2. B77 will no longer have a Mayor. Article 4 is being repealed. The screen name will be deactivated, the Michel Delving Forum will be removed (threads moved to the Historical Interest Forum), and the Sensitive Info-Mayor forum will be removed (threads moved to the Rangers’ Sensitive Info forum).

If you have a question or concern, feel free to start a thread in the Business room or post in the Need to Contact a Ranger? thread. :)

[ img ]

Display: Sort by: Direction:
Locked   Page 6 of 6  [ 119 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to: