The Last Homely Site on the Web

Members, Come Chat with the Mayor!

Locked   Page 3 of 6  [ 119 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Oct , 2005 7:44 pm
Living in hope

A question—we're losing three Rangers on 31 October, but only gaining two. That leaves us with four, and the charter says five to seven. Shouldn't there be one more new Ranger? Or am I overlooking something obvious? :scratch:

[ img ]

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Oct , 2005 8:54 pm

Prim, I think that Eru has said she is still waiting to hear from vison, who was the next person on the list. If vison isn't up to it, then whoever is next on the list will get the call.

Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Oct , 2005 10:12 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

Why do I think Jny will be ready Nov 1?

[ img ]

tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Oct , 2005 11:51 pm
Waiting for winter

People, we have a real problem.
Holbytla wrote:
Why do I think Jny will be ready Nov 1?
I was going to (jokingly) say that she hasn’t been practicing on the experimental board, but when I went to the experimental board I discovered that it is gone! Seriously. phpbber has a policy that boards will be deleted if there is no apparent activity there for 60 days. I can’t find it on the phpbber index and I can’t remember if there has been any activity there in a while. Does anyone know if we can contact them to find out? It would be really bad to loose all of the training threads we had there.

[ img ]

I am a child, I'll last a while.
You can't conceive
of the pleasure in my smile.

Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Oct , 2005 11:57 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

D'oh. :doh1:

[ img ]

Mayor
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 18 Oct , 2005 2:39 am

That sucks. It was there last week. I'll email the phpbber admin to see if it's totally gone or can be restored.

All isn't lost though. Instructions on how to do everything is in the Forum Management forum.

WELCOME TO OUR NEWEST MEMBERS! mayor_b77@yahoo.com

tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 18 Oct , 2005 3:42 am
Waiting for winter

There were some great raining threads there though. I never would have been able to learn the ropes in two days, which I did, without them. I think it was Alandriel who went to all the trouble to write those threads, and I just hate the idea that all that hard work is gone.

Alandriel hasn’t been around for a while either, btw. Has anybody heard from her recently?

Thanks for emailing the phpbber guys. I hope something comes out of it.

[ img ]

You can't conceive

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 18 Oct , 2005 3:45 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I never read that closely since I didn't need to learn how to do stuff. It seemed to me much of the stuff was created by the people practicing there.

We still have this:

http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... um=board77

We can build new training grounds from that if need be.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 18 Oct , 2005 3:51 am
Waiting for winter

Alandriel had created step by step walk throughs that allowed you to actually do the tasks rather than just reading about them. I’ve always found that to be a much more effective way of learning than just reading instructions. But yes, what’s in that thread is essentially the same material in a different format. It’s just such a shame that such a useful tool is gone. It would be nice if we could get it back, but it’s not the end of the world.

[ img ]

You can't conceive

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 18 Oct , 2005 3:54 am

I'm confused. How could a step-by-step walkthrough allow you to perform the tasks.

If the board is permanely gone, perhaps you can describe this more in depth so I could possibly get it set up again. Of course any current/former ranger of those knowledgeable about phbpper could help as well. ;)

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 18 Oct , 2005 4:07 am
Waiting for winter

I can’t remember exactly how she did it - I remember what I did was to open up two windows, one that had the instruction thread showing and another that I did the tasks in. But it was basically the fact that you had the board to play around with. The instructions had you actually create new forums, and then delete them, create global announcements, and then delete them, etc, etc. It was quite effective.

[ img ]

You can't conceive

truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 18 Oct , 2005 2:05 pm
WYSIWYG

Dammit! :(

So much more reason we should've insisted on all prospective Rangers doing some training there.

The how-to explanations there were written by different people, Alandriel and laureanna did most, I did some, too, and all the feedback from all users on minor things that had been observed while trying to work things out had been very useful, too. :(

And like Tinwe said, it was immensely useful to actually click the buttons and perform the action on a board where it didn't matter if something should go wrong, rather than just read the instructions and then do it on the real board - reduced nervousness about really doing things here quite a bit, I think.
If phpbber can't restore it, I think we should set up another one. :)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 18 Oct , 2005 3:29 pm
Living in hope

I didn't use the board much when I trained—partly because to me it did not "feel" at all like the real board, simply because it was a different board style. :oops: That was just a real barrier to learning for me.

That was a while ago, of course, and I know it got refined considerably.

I did find it a big help to be able to practice the really big things such as creating forums.

[ img ]

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 18 Oct , 2005 4:29 pm

Seems the board is most likely gone. :roll:

http://www.phpbber.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=797

I really want to reply: "Gee, thanks for answering NONE of my questions." The admin there never seems to read anything.

We need to move soon.

Anyway, I'll start a new board and try to get some stuff set up since I know Jn needs to practice. MH should be good I think because she runs a message board for her family.

Still waiting to hear from vison...she's been posting...I guess I should bug her again. :scratch:

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 18 Oct , 2005 5:00 pm

truehobbit wrote:
So much more reason we should've insisted on all prospective Rangers doing some training there.
We can't force people to post there especially if they are already competent with the system, which Ro and Holby both were. The last person to practice on the board was Tinwe...he's been a ranger for over 60 days now.

I think I get what you're trying to say Tinwe. The instructions really weren't any different. You're saying having a training board so you could physically do everything was helpful. For a while there I thought you were saying the instructions were written differently or something.

I set up a new board. Will get to trying to format it. I didn't do it last time so it'll take me a little bit to decide what to do. But it will be there for Jn to try to do things on.

http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php? ... ertraining

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 18 Oct , 2005 5:43 pm

Eru, you're the best. :)

truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 18 Oct , 2005 6:48 pm
WYSIWYG

Erunáme wrote:
truehobbit wrote:
We can't force people to post there especially if they are already competent with the system, which Ro and Holby both were. The last person to practice on the board was Tinwe...he's been a ranger for over 60 days now.
Our charter says people become eligible for being a Ranger when current Rangers agree they have spent enough time on the experimental board.
So, yes, I think theoretically we can force people to use it!

Of course I know that Holby was active on the experimental board months ago, at the same time I was.
And though I don't know Ro's skills, I of course assumed she wouldn't have taken the job if she hadn't been qualified - so I hope no one is reading a criticism of our current Rangers from my post. :)
(I guess my saying "all prospective Rangers" sounded a bit too strong.)

It's not just the immediately next Rangers who are supposed to practice there - anyone can do that at any time!
I think it's very important for people who are just thinking about whether to sign up for serving as Rangers - seeing how things work might help them make their decision.
What I meant in my previous post, is that we should've put more stress on the fact that the board exists and is meant to be used by everybody who is interested in serving as Rangers at some point.

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 18 Oct , 2005 6:59 pm

Quote:
So, yes, I think theoretically we can force people to use it!
Only if they have no knowledge of the phpbber admin panel. If they are already quite computer literate then they have no need to go practice. You've noted Holby was active on the practice board. I know Ro also signed up there, checked it out, and was also a temp Ranger. Neither of them had any reason to go and practice.

As I said, the last Ranger to go practice was Tinwe and he began his Ranger term over 60 days ago. So there were no upcoming Rangers that should have been practicing over there until this week. As of last week, the board was still there. It seems that this was unfortunate timing.
Quote:
It's not just the immediately next Rangers who are supposed to practice there - anyone can do that at any time!
Right, and people did that when it was first created. They got to mess around and the novelty wore off. We can't make people go visit it especially if they don't have an upcoming term.
Quote:
What I meant in my previous post, is that we should've put more stress on the fact that the board exists and is meant to be used by everybody who is interested in serving as Rangers at some point.
Again, I don't agree that we could have done that. No one had an obligation to the experimental board except for me since I created it.

So it's my fault it's gone, because I wasn't aware boards would be deleted if there weren't any posts every 60 days. I am aware of that now and will do my best to prevent deletion from inactivity from happening again.

I apologize for being negligent.

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 18 Oct , 2005 8:13 pm
Living in hope

Eru, it's not negligence if you don't know. You had no reason even to ask if there was such a rule. You aren't at fault, and I'm sorry you're having to go to trouble now.

[ img ]

laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 19 Oct , 2005 12:53 am
Triathlete

Sorry to hear you lost the B77experiment board. It really helped me (and my Goddess complex ;) )

Well, I'm back.

Display: Sort by: Direction:
Locked   Page 3 of 6  [ 119 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: