No

4% [ 2 ]
Total votes: 56
Jnyusa
Post subject: CHARTER RATIFICATION: Article 11, Committees: RATIFIED
Posted: Sun 10 Jul , 2005 5:54 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Dear Members (and especially our newest members),

It is time once again to ratify a piece of our Charter.
HERE IS HOW THE PROCESS WORKS

All registered members may discuss and vote in this thread.

A summary of the Article we are voting on is given below. There are also links to the post containing the full and complete text of the Article.

Before voting, we discuss in this thread for a minimum of ten days. During those ten days, you should state bluntly in this thread anything you don’t like. If enough people dislike certain provisions, we will remove them from the text before the voting begins and allow the committee to work on them again until they are more acceptable to the membership.

At the end of the discussion, the vote opens and remains open for ten days, two weekends inclusive. The vote takes the form of a poll in this thread, where you vote either yes or no to approve these pieces of the Charter.

This vote started late and will remain open until Monday, August 8, 11:59 pm Greenwich Mean Time.

(Translation: voting from July 22, ~8:00 pm Eastern Daylight Time or ~5:00 pm Pacific Daylight Time until August 1, ~8:00 pm Eastern Daylight Time or ~5:00 pm Pacific Daylight Time. )

SUMMARY OF ARTICLE 11: STANDING AND AD HOC COMMITTEES
The full text of the article can be read IN THIS POST.

There are certain things for which we know that committees will be needed in the future. In some cases, those committees might be needed on short notice.

Rather than wait until the committee is needed and then hold a vote of the membership to form the committee and define its scope, we are using this Article to authorize a couple committees in advance, define their scope and their composition, and lay out the procedure for convening them so that this can be done quickly when needed.

The committees are not actually formed now, they are simply authorized to form as needed.

The first two such committees are the Committee to Amend the Charter, ¶1 and the Committee for Binding Votes, ¶2.

Amending the Charter should be self-explanatory. Binding Vote are votes taken by the membership, the results of which the Board must follow. We have taken two votes recently that might be considered Binding Votes - the vote to open the board and the vote on what to do with threads. We took those votes without having any rules about how to conduct them, whereas the Charter will now tell us how to do this in the future.

The outline for these two committees is a bit more complicated than for the other committees because voting by the membership is a process that should be carefully protected.

I will also warn you in advance that the rules for these committees are tied to other Articles that have not yet been presented for Ratification. The Committee to Amend the Charter must follow the Article on Charter Amendments, Article 12, ¶2, which we are now writing. The Committee for Binding Votes must follow the Article on Binding Votes and Initiatives of the Membership, Article 7, which we have written but are now amending and have not yet presented for Ratification.

There are a couple articles that deal with interrelated issues, and we are working on them in committee to make them consistent with one another. It might be that some of the detailed text you read here will end up being moved into a companion Article for consistency, but the provisions will not change. They will simply appear in a different place, and you will have the opportunity to ratify that move. Note: at 7:50 pm GMT on Tuesday, July 11 (~four hours before discussion begins officially) I did remove details about the Amendment Committee from this Article and placed them in Article 12, ¶2 where you will have opportunity to ratify them in less than a week. You can still read them by clicking on the link above to Article 12, but you do not need to ratify them right now. This was done so that the Charter will present everything about voting in a consistent fashion, and it will be easier for the members to compare while ratifying the two Articles (7 and 12) that concern voting. Jn

For now, we would like to get the authorization for all these committees ratified.

The rules concerning Amendments and Binding Votes are not the same, but the rules for the Committees that handle these votes are basically the same.

Both Amendments and Binding votes can be initiated by:
• the Mayor, or
• two Rangers, or
• five registered members regardless of status.

Anyone who wants a Binding Vote taken on some issue, or feels the Charter needs amending, only has to start a thread in the Business Forum asking for this. As soon as the Mayor or two Rangers or any four other members step up and agree, a committee will be formed to guarantee the appropriateness of the vote (according to the rules of the companion Article), create the ballot, post the ballot and count and report the results.

Charter committees are also automatically convened if a Ranger exercises Extraordinary Powers under Article 5, ¶5 because this action suggests that our Charter fails to cover something important. Such a case is in progress right now in the Bike Racks and Jury Room, for those of you interested in how these things might end up working: Reopening Discussion.

Any registered member can be a member of these committees and volunteers will be taken in order until the committee is filled and has the required composition.

The other committees authorized by this Article are fairly straightforward.

There is an Election Committee, ¶3 authorizing the current Mayor to select two helpers for devising the Mayoral election ballot and conducting the vote.

There is a Committee for Technical Support, ¶4 composed of three members who know enough about computers to talk to our webhost and/or advise our members about our internet capabilities if that becomes necessary.

And there is a Committee for Business Matters, ¶5 that will manage the business interface with our web host and implement our potential move to a new board. The is the only committee authorized to convene upon ratification, as we expect that moving to a new web host will be the next major issue that we undertake.

In general, all committees may use the Jury Room for their deliberations but companion threads should be run in the Business Forum so that members can follow along. All member votes must be held in the Business Forum.

Finally, we have specified that all other committees be formed as Ad Hoc Committees, ¶6 whenever a majority of Rangers agree that a committee is needed and the issue is not covered by a standing committee. An example of an Ad Hoc committee would be the Grand Opening Celebration committee led by Mossy and Pips.

In order to ratify this Article, 39 members must cast votes, and of those who vote, two-thirds (67%) must vote in favor.

Last edited by Jnyusa on Tue 09 Aug , 2005 12:17 am, edited 5 times in total.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Jul , 2005 5:44 pm
Thanks to Holby

Quote:
¶1: Committee for Amendments to the Charter
• An Initiative to amend the Charter is brought by the Mayor, or by two current Rangers, or by five members regardless of their status.
Could you briefly summarize the reasoning behind having the Mayor able by him/herself to initiate this? Is it because it is assumed that the Mayor will be most cognizant of Charter provisions needing amending?

Quote:
Charter committees are also automatically convened if a Ranger exercises Extraordinary Powers under Article 5, ¶5 because this action suggests that our Charter fails to cover something important. Such a case is in progress right now in the Bike Racks and Jury Room, for those of you interested in how these things might end up working: Reopening Discussion.
Has a Ranger exercised extraordinary powers in this instance? What was that action? Has this automatically triggered the convening of a charter committee?

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Jul , 2005 8:07 pm

Thank you, Cerin, for opening this discussion.

Before answering your question I would like to point out the fact that I have removed from this Article 11 some of the detail about the composition and procedure of the Committee for Amendments to the Charter. There is a note explaining this in blue in the first post above. Those details can still be read by clicking on the links (as soon as I get down to the jury room to fix it) but you do not have to ratify the details of that committee with this vote, you only have to ratify it's existence.

Re your questions:

Yes, we thought that the Mayor might be in a better position to spot the need for a vote or an amendment, and so would the Rangers, because they have to refer to the Charter more frequently than anyone else; and we have also set up Michel Delving as a place where members can bring questions and suggestions directly to the Mayor.

We did not want to preclude grass-roots initiative either, therefore five members can, on their own, ask that a committee be convened.

Regarding extraordinary powers ... yes, Hobby moved the thread in question out of public view while simultaneously contacting all Rangers and several members of the Charter committee for their advice. It is in fact the Extraordinary Powers clause that makes her able to move the thread if she feels harm might result from its continued visibility, but Extraordinary Powers also require her to confer immediately, which she did. The thread was out of sight for ~36 hours, which is not an unreasonable amount of time for a transatlantic exchange of opinion.

Ironically, Article 3 which contains all the powers of the Admins has not yet been amended to state WHO the Ranger should contact after using Extraordinary Powers. It refers to "some body as yet to be named" :( We have in fact decided in committee who that should be, but we have not yet voted on it, written it in to Article 3 or given it to the members for ratification. Luckily Hobby is on the committee and knew were this was going, and she also used her common sense. Extraordinary Powers will be reviewed by a Charter Amendment Committee because that committee, along with the Binding Vote Committee, are the closest things we have to a legislative function. EDIT: Excuse me, the committee is in fact named in this article being ratified here ... so Article 3 will be filled in when this ratification vote is over (assuming it reaches a quorum and also passes).

We did not need to convene a Charter committee because there is already one active, and we are in fact considering the implications of this case right now. We will not step in and retroactively change anything about that thread - (a) we can't do that, and (b) no one has asked for it. No one has asked yet for a vote, either, regarding that thread, but we are considering member reactions and using them to guide our judgment about Policy on Thread Deletions (Article 8), which members will be given to ratify when it is finished.

Jn

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Jul , 2005 8:20 pm
Thanks to Holby

Quote:
We did not need to convene a Charter committee because there is already one active
Oh, of course. :oops: :)

Thank you for that summation of events. :)

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Jul , 2005 2:55 pm
WYSIWYG

Quote:
Hobby moved the thread in question out of public view while simultaneously contacting all Rangers and several members of the Charter committee for their advice.
Actually, I contacted people first, and moved the thread out of sight after some initial counselling.
Not sure if that makes a difference, but I thought I'd mention it, in case it does. :)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Jul , 2005 6:50 pm

Yes, you were extra careful, Hobby. :cheers

(And don't listen to anyone who says otherwise)

But you could have moved the thread first and consulted immediately afterwards if you had thought it an emergency situation. Article 3 does give you the right to do that.

Jn

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Jul , 2005 10:22 pm
WYSIWYG

Ok, thanks - I'll remember that for next time! :whistle: =:)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
IdylleSeethes
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 17 Jul , 2005 10:29 pm

I said at the time that I was confused, but Hobby handled it quite well. :)

Idylle in exile: the view over the laptop on a bad day
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 26 Jul , 2005 3:28 am

People, I missed the moment when this poll had to be opened. So I'll put up the poll now but it will have to run until August 8 along with the other ratification votes.

Jn

Profile Quote
IdylleSeethes
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 26 Jul , 2005 3:55 am

Voted

Idylle in exile: the view over the laptop on a bad day
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 26 Jul , 2005 4:39 am
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

Voted :D

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 26 Jul , 2005 9:23 am
of Vinyamar

Voted

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 26 Jul , 2005 4:03 pm
Not so deep as a well

voted...and too fast for the board's liking, evidently :P

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 26 Jul , 2005 7:31 pm
Daydream Believer

voted...and I am not under the due influence of anger from st00fid coworkers.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 26 Jul , 2005 9:28 pm
WYSIWYG

Voted against that - who concocted that stuff anyway? :rage:

Oh, wait...

:P :blackeye

(j/k) :D :cheers

From our key principles:

Profile Quote
Angbasdil
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 27 Jul , 2005 2:27 am
The man, the myth, the monkey

Voted.

I still don't know why I'm telling y'all that.
I'm just following the crowd, I guess.

Profile Quote
bornilon
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 27 Jul , 2005 6:03 pm

Voted.

Profile Quote
Sassafras
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 27 Jul , 2005 8:34 pm
through the looking glass

Voted.