No

2% [ 1 ]
Total votes: 43
Jnyusa
Post subject: CHARTER RATIFICATION: Thread Deletion: RATIFIED
Posted: Sun 17 Jul , 2005 4:40 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Dear Members (and especially our newest members),

Here are the final pieces of our Charter for ratification.
HERE IS HOW THE PROCESS WORKS

All registered members may discuss and vote in this thread.

A summary of the Charter Article we are voting on is given below along with a link to the full and complete text of the article.

Before voting, we discuss in this thread for a minimum of ten days. During those ten days, you should state bluntly in this thread anything you don’t like.. If enough people dislike certain provisions, we will remove them from the text before the voting begins and allow the committee to work on them again until they are more acceptable to the membership.

At the end of the discussion, the vote opens and remains open for ten days, two weekends inclusive. The vote takes the form of a poll in this thread, where you vote either yes or no to approve these pieces of the Charter.

The vote will remain open until Monday, August 8, 11:59 pm Greenwich Mean Time.

(Translation: voting from July 29, ~8:00 pm Eastern Daylight Time or ~5:00 pm Pacific Daylight Time until August 8, ~8:00 pm Eastern Daylight Time or ~5:00 pm Pacific Daylight Time. )

ARTICLE 8: POLICY ON Thread Deletion
The full and complete text of this article can be read IN THIS POST.

Our general policy is not to delete threads.

The only routine exceptions to this rule are troll threads that have been removed because of objectionable content (content that violates the by-laws) and Hearing threads that members have requested to be deleted (which they have the right to do under Article 5). ¶1: Routine Exceptions

When a thread is deleted from the board, it is moved into Deleted Thread Storage. The Article states how long a thread must be held there before it can be deleted permanently, based on how long the member has to appeal the results of a hearing or request a ban reversal, etc. In general, threads are held for one month beyond their potential use in a subsequent Hearing, and then they are deleted permanently.

Please remember that the purpose for deleting Hearing threads at members’ request is so that there will be no ‘secret files’ of members’ past offenses. If a member does not request that their Hearing thread be deleted, it simply remains locked in the Jury Room.

Obsolete announcements, FAQs, etc. are not deleted but moved into the History Forum.

For all of the History Forum threads that have substantial content we have created Directory threads and will continue to do so. Therefore the presence of random obsolete threads in that forum should not interfere with a member’s ability to use the forum for reading up on the history of the board.

We have also provided that any unusual exceptions, ¶2, will require a Binding vote by the membership

In order to ratify this Article, 39 members must cast votes, and of those who vote, two-thirds (67%) must vote in favor.

Last edited by Jnyusa on Tue 09 Aug , 2005 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Rowanberry
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 17 Jul , 2005 8:21 pm
Can never be buggered at all

To me, the suggested procedure seems all right.

People, you and me, are not trusted. The right doesn't like us because we don't do what we're told by our betters, and the left doesn't like us because it secretly thinks we would be on the right given half a chance and a lottery win. And both think we should not make our own decisions, because we might make the wrong ones. ~ Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 12:10 am

Something occurred to me today. I apologize for not thinking of it earlier, but I would be remiss if I did not mention it. Part of ¶1: Routine Exceptions reads:
Quote:
Threads moved to Deleted Thread Storage by a Ranger because of their objectionable content will be held for one month beyond the period in which a Hearing may be convened under Article 5, ¶4. If a Hearing is convened, the threads will be held throughout the Hearing and one month beyond the expiration of the member's right to appeal under Article 5, ¶8.
My assumption is that this means that if for some reason a hearing is not held the thread will be returned to its original place. Otherwise, Rangers would have the de facto power to indefiinitely remove threads for the view of the membership, which sure was not our intention. Does this need to be clarified? Or is it sufficiently common sensical that anyone would make the same assumption that I make.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 12:15 am
Living in hope

Does this apply to trolls' threads (people banned during their first week for blatant trolling or misbehavior)? Because those people have to request a hearing to have their bans reversed—it isn't automatic. Yet I can't believe we intended that a troll thread would be put back in place simply because the troll never asked for a hearing.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 12:35 am
A green apple painted red

I agree with Prim on this one, the default should be to just let a thread go. I think it would help if "objectionable content" was spelled out, as in "blatant advertising, racial slurs, and explicit sexual content outside ToE forum". Or whatever the consensus is on what is objectionable. Those threads should not be resurrected, IMO, just because a fly-by spammer didn't bother to ask for a hearing.

I understand Voronwe's hesitation that Rangers be allowed to move whole threads out of site. However, if a thread disappears and no one misses it for four months, it would seem safe to assume that a Ranger made a good call.

ETA: My assumption on first reading was that the threads would be permanently deleted if no one asks to restore them. If nothing else, the Article has to spell out what would happen to the deleted threads after the quarantine.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 1:47 am

No, you guys are right, I was looking at it backwards. I was thinking that a Hearing not happening would be because the Ranger never brought it, but it would because the member never requested it, of course. Thanks for setting my straight, me dears. :love:

I withdraw my objection. :)

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 2:13 am
Triathlete

Now that we have 231 members (as of this moment), is 39 still the magic number of votes we need?

Can anyone vote?

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 2:15 am
Living in hope

Anyone registered can vote.

39 is still the quorum until a new formula is ratified, which means it's the quorum for all these votes.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 29 Jul , 2005 5:09 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Voting is now Open!!

(I'm starting a bit before midnight GMT because we've already discussed for more than ten days and I won't be home this evening.)

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 29 Jul , 2005 5:13 pm
Not so deep as a well

voted

Profile Quote
TORN
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 29 Jul , 2005 8:05 pm
THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

[ img ]

But I do have a question -- is there a provision somewhere that would allow a thread sitting in limbo for the one month before permanent deletion to somehow be called back, or is the one month just a period of purgatory before the thread will invariably be deleted? And if threads that enter the one month purgatory will invariably be deleted, what purpose does this period serve? To answer my own question, I assume it would serve the purpose of giving TPTB (sorry, I just enjoy typing that) a month to reverse a mistaken "deletion" -- but given how procedure-oriented we are here, is there a specific mechanism or mention of this purpose? As may be obvious, I have not bothered to read beyond this specific article to determine whether the Charter holds an answer to this question . . .

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 29 Jul , 2005 8:14 pm
Living in hope

TORN, the threads are held in the first place only because they might be needed for a hearing, or after a hearing they might be needed if the member appeals. Once the deadline for a hearing or appeal passes, the additional month starts. The month is to allow for possible oversights and procedural screwups, where something needs to be revisited or someone was not notified of a deadline.

After that month, yes, the thread goes, because it is certainly not going to be needed any more. It can't be returned to the board during that time.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TORN
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 30 Jul , 2005 1:01 am
THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

If the month is to cover screw-ups and such, that works for me -- it was just not entirely clear to me that there wasn't more intended from that month

Profile Quote
Angbasdil
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 30 Jul , 2005 6:03 pm
The man, the myth, the monkey

[ img ]

I decided to do something different...

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 30 Jul , 2005 7:15 pm
Daydream Believer

Voted

Now off to see if I need to vote anywhere else

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 30 Jul , 2005 7:51 pm
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

[ img ]

I decided to steal Ang's smiley...

:P

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 30 Jul , 2005 9:18 pm

I voted in all the applicable threads.

Ain't it grand to live in a democracy.

:cheers

Word shaper / Soul tender / Melody maker

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 30 Jul , 2005 10:09 pm
of Vinyamar

Voted

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Angbasdil
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 31 Jul , 2005 12:45 am
The man, the myth, the monkey

Hey Anth,
When it comes to smileys, I'm forever in your debt for this one: [ img ]

Steal all you want. :D

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 31 Jul , 2005 12:51 am